[SP-F1] «The First Few Lessons Are Free»

«Town of Beginnings»

A curious glance around these streets leads the young adventurer down a cobblestone path, directly through the heart of the market center. The surroundings are taken in, and inhaled with a deep breath. He could smell the roasting coal bars as he pass by a Blacksmith's stand, and on the other end - a tailor stitching various leathers, and ivory into a thick, padded chestplate. The livelihood of this town alone were enough to bring a smile to the young Sicilian's face. "Way better than back home," he tells himself, despite the circumstances, but this is enough to bring the young adventurer's spirits down. His eyes falls, and find themselves fixated on the mossy stone at his feet. "I wonder what they're doing--," a pause.

The murmuring crowd surrounds a bulletin board. One by one, they strip it bare, but as one goes - another spawns. This seems to be a focal point in the center of town.

"Huh?"

Spoiler

Enryu
Level: 1
| HP: 20 | EN: 2 | DMG: 2 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 |

Active Gear

Beginner Short Sword «Uncommon»
     [Accuracy I |
Gain +1 to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit.]

Black Padded Gambeson «Uncommon»
     [Evasion I |
Reduces the die value by 1 on an enemy’s attack against you. Cannot be used to avoid a critical hit.]

Skills

One-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | Rank 1
     [Base: Proficiency] +1 DMG

Sword Arts

Rank 1

Rage Spike (2 Energy +2 per enemy hit)

Strike each target in the vicinity twice in a blinding fit of uncontrolled rage.
[x2 AoE]

Snake Bite (3 Energy)

The user quickly strikes the target with three brisk angled slashes.
[x3]

Edited by Enryu

As he ventures further, a hand would split the crowd as if it were a violent wave, and it fought back. A push, and a pull through layers upon layers of players, until eventually, he sets his sights upon this magnificent bulletin board which easily stood above seven feet tall, and the flyers it held were procedurally generated. One by one, they're stripped from the nails that held them, and in turn, a quest begins. He notices this trend, and with a wary hand, reaches out -- "This one," he tells himself. It felt like real paper, or rather, an old, withered and sun-dried parchment that has definitely seen better days, and it crinkles to his touch.

He pinches the paper between his fingertips, and stretches it out. It thins. Beyond the wrinkles reads a title; a quest for beginners. It beckons to him, like the soft whispers of a lover, and so he whispers back,

«The First Few Lessons Are Free»

"This is it."

Edited by Enryu

The flyer dissipates into fragmented particles that seem to just disappear with the wind, but in it's place, a quest marker is birthed. It's a glitter of yellow sprinkled across the streets of this town, and it guides the player to the shop where he must meet a potion seller. The quest description, as well as a few extraneous details are listed - mostly filler. He brushes it off, and continues on his way down this cobblestone road, through the market square. It wouldn't be long before he realizes this here is his destination. An old, wooden shop, or, what looks like a tavern. It fits the general aesthetic of this town, and even more so when he places a hand against it.

Cccrrreeaaakkkk...

The door frame squeals as if it hadn't been maintained in over a century, but over yonder is a man who fits the quest description. A glance above the shopkeepers head identifies him. "Zakariah," he says, almost as if it were instinctive. It catches the owner's attention, and a smile greets the player.

"Welcome, my child."

Edited by Enryu

A few wary steps bring him that much closer to the counter, and every step croaks with the reverberating moan of crunching wood beneath his feet. It bends, but refuses to give - a testament to the builder's expertise. "Good morning," he greets the man. A hand is placed firmly on the countertop, but before he could open his mouth to speak again, the NPC cuts him off.

"I need your help."

Straight to the point. A nod of the head gives agreement to whatever terms must be met, and accepts the quest. "I need you to travel just beyond the walls, to a hut off the side of the road. There will be a flower bead full of magnificent flora. I need some to finish this potion," an explanation, followed by a finger that points to this empty vial. "I'll accompany you on this trip, and reward your efforts."

Hesitation plagues the young boy's mind, but the feeling wanes. A moment is all it takes for Enryu to nod his head again, and whisper, "Okay. Let's do this."

Edited by Enryu

Whether this activates some sort of hidden, in-game mechanism or not, the Shopkeeper decides to lift the hatch leading to the other side of his countertop, and emerges. He's as spry as a young man at least half his age, and moves with the confidence of a car salesman, but despite this all, age is a factor. His hair is white as snow, and skin, crinkled just as the parchment that brought him here. It's closer to leather in the way that it dries up in the sun. "Coming?" the man questions as he glances back, already opening those double doors, but he doesn't pressure the young adventurer. His voice is calm, and inviting, so it urges the player forth with little reluctance. Enryu is willing, and does so with a smile.

"Of course! Of course!" he laughs, wholeheartedly. There's a bit more confidence in his own stride now as he skips a little to catch up.

This trip does not last long. There's a pathway that leads the two of them out of the city, down one of the lesser known ways. It's not as crowded, and honestly, it felt like a relief. This bustling city was a bit overwhelming for the Sicilian at times. People can be overwhelming. He had never considered himself an introvert, but his sanity definitely walked a thin line in crowds. After only a moment longer, the luscious greens would surface, and the longer they walked, the denser this forest became. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Zakariah would exclaim, "There it is!" and his finger would be used to guide the young adventurer's eyes.

There's a pathway that leads even further into the forest, and just beyond it lies the cabin listed in his quest log. It's surrounded by these beautiful flora, from anything between a sunflower, to orchids, and roses. It was like nothing he had ever seen before, so this is a special moment. One he takes in for everything it's worth, and smiles. The potion seller doesn't seem to mind all that much. He's too busy trudging uphill to notice, but this sparks a question - "What exactly are we looking for?"

Zakariah glances back, and offers him an answer. "Anything, and everything. I'll make use of it all."

Enryu offers him a smile, and nod of the head, then continues his travels uphill. These cobblestone steps are definitely aged, and have seen some weathering effects, but that may be intentional. Another aesthetic of the world he now lives in, though honestly, it was hard to tell the two apart. The only difference being, this beautiful scenery -- "Here we are," says Zakariah, breaking the adventurer's concentration, but for good reasons. At his feet lay a bed of flowers, and not a single one of them shared the same color. The smell was enough to send him into a trace. "They're beautiful," responds Enryu. "Five, right?"

His suspicions are confirmed when the quest giver nods his head, and takes a step back. "Five, but make sure they're perfect before you pick them. I can't use any bad ingredients."

"Perfect?" he asks, "How do I differentiate a perfect flower, from a bad one?"

"That's easy! Let me show you."

Edited by Enryu

He kneels down and pinches a beautifully red poppy between his fingers. A tug, and a - snap, sever the head from the root, effectively ending this plant's life. It's raised, and showcased almost like a trophy, but a finger dissects it further. "This is the stem here, and there are no imperfections," he says, "It's as elegant, and as a green as an emerald. It's head is a vibrant red, and --," a pause brings his nose that much closer for a sniff. " -- it smells absolutely beautiful. Just like summer."

The flower is passed off to Enryu now so that he could get a closer look to really understand what is was that Zakariah was trying to show him. He notices this and that, but there isn't any confidence in his voice when he says, "Okay. I think I understand it now." Perhaps the best teacher in this situation would be experience, so that's when Zakariah takes a step back, and says,

"So, show me."

Edited by Enryu

A wilting rose catches his eye, but these imperfections were not as significant as the ones Zakariah had shown clear distaste for. A bent, and discolored petal. Enryu tests the water. A hand reaches out, stretching above this flowerbed as to not damage any others in the process, and eventually, his fingers pinch the sides of it. This rose is plucked from it's earthy home, and brought in close for a more in-depth inspection, but Enryu is far from expert in this field. He turns and presents it to Zakariah, asking him, "It's not perfect, but - will this do?"

It takes a few moments for the potion seller to respond, and this worries Enryu, but he ultimately accepts this flower with a nod of his head. "This will do," he says, "But, try to find one without all of these bleached spots. They dissolve a lot quicker, and so it's just a bit harder.

A lesson learned.

Enryu nods his head, then turns back to the task at hand, though not before letting out his sigh of relief. Despite this man's cheery, and outgoing demeanor, Enryu feels as if there's something amiss. This kindhearted soul did not scorn him, but rather - encouraged him. It wasn't what he was use to, but he doesn't mind it.

Spoiler

ID: 169664

BD: 8 | CD: 6 | LD: 13 | MD: 4

Success! (1/5)

Edited by Enryu

Now, his sights set upon a tulip whose petals are reminiscent of the color maroon. This sun-dried flora seems to just wilt in his hand, but he doesn't notice it at first. In fact, it's color is distinguishable from rest; not as vibrant, or nearly as appealing. To his untrained eyes, this goes unnoticed, and it isn't long before he holds it in his hand. Pluck! The stem is severed from the ground, but this does nothing as it was already dead from either a lack of sunlight, or water. Nevertheless, this attempt yielded failure, and the thought of messing up something so simple is enough to send this boy into a small fit of rage. He crumbles the plant beneath his fist, on the edge of an outbreak, but the soothing words of this potion seller standing just over yonder is enough to take him back

"It's okay," he tells him. "Just try again. That one was hard to notice. It could have stumped be too."

Spoiler

ID: 169666

BD: 9 | CD: 2 | LD: 1 | MD: 5

Fail! (1/5)

Edited by Enryu

It was a soothing lie, but the effects remain the same. Enryu takes a deep breath in, and exhales before reaching for another rose hidden in a bed of dandelions. The contrast of color catches his attention, and so he reaches -- "Hnn," and grunts, akin to a toddler trying to reach something hidden on top of a shelf. Perhaps he should have stuck with something just a bit closer, but nevertheless, he ventures out.

On the edge of his finger, he brushes against one of the petals, trying to move so precariously above this precious bed of flowers, as to not ruin any potential picks. He's nearly outstretched entirely above it, and then -- "Got it!" he shouts! Success! The prize has been retrieved, and it's void of any imperfections, at least, all that he can see. It's presented to Zakariah, same as the other, and he gives his signature nod of approval. Well done! Enryu counts in his head, "Three more," and then turns back to the task at hand.

"I can do this. . ."

Spoiler

ID: 169917

BD: 5 | CD: 2 | LD: 14 | MD: 6

Success! (2/5)

Edited by Enryu

Now, a pink camellia catches his eye in this bed of flowers. It rests, dangling precariously off the stem of a nearby lilac. The two support each other, and it's almost romantic, but Enryu has no time for romance. His finger pinches the lowest part of it's root, and gives it a tiny little tug -- just enough to unearth it from the soil. A subtle snap confirms it's fate, for the life of this flower was no more, but it lacks any noticeable imperfections, and for once, this young adventurer is confident when he turns to Zakariah. "I've got another one," he says, proud of this accomplishment. Zakariah is too, offering him a congratulatory nod of the head, as well as a, "Good job."

It's dropped into a flower basket by his side, a place where all the others go. As his search continues, he couldn't help but pry a little into this quest giver's life, or, what he could only assume to be a programmed backstory. Still, his curiosity was peaking, so he gave it a go.

"Is this a hobby of yours?"

Spoiler

ID: 169801

BD: 4 | CD: 4 | LD: 11 | MD: 6

Success! (3/5)

Edited by Enryu

"It is!" shouts the man with an almost overbearing amount of enthusiasm. "This is my life, after all! I go out when I can. This forest is serene, and these colors are beautiful. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be doing it, son."

Enryu listens, holding his head above the bed of flowers for a moment as he thinks. This story was definitely convincing, and, almost terrifying at the same time. It was hard to tell the difference between player, and NPC. This world is teeming with life, be it program, or person, and the fact that he couldn't discern the two meant that this was very real, but distractions are welcomed. It's a conflicting battle of emotions, and he wasn't able to take a side just yet. A bite on his lip helps him through this conflict, and yet again, he surveys the area for something new.

"I'm glad to hear," is his weak response.

Edited by Enryu

It seems the potion seller can hear a tremble in his voice, so whether it be a computer's intuition, or a programmed response, he steps closer, and kneels down to Enryu's level. With a hand placed to his shoulder, he reassures the boy, "Just follow your heart. It's scary at first, I know," followed by a pause, ".. But, everything will make sense in due time."

This hadn't been the response he expected, but, for some reason, the seller's calm words do wonders to soothe his mind, even if what he was referring to be a mystery. Still, whilst the young adventurer remain lost in thought, his hand searches. Petals are brushed against, and he seems to be feeling with his mind. It's like an auto-pilot now, until his fingers lay upon a beautiful sunflower, as yellow as they come. It's radiance seems blinding enough to snap him out of that daze.

"I know."

Spoiler

ID: 170003

BD: 6 | CD: 11 | LD: 12 | MD: 7

Success! (4/5)

Edited by Enryu

With a pluck, and a pull flowers are ripped from their earthy bed, and inspected. Though, he seems to be going through some sort of dry spell. "Nope. Nope. Nope," he repeats, over and over again as the flowers he picks are just not anywhere near suitable enough for the Shopkeeper's potion. From a rotted tulip, to a halt-eaten lilac, it seems his luck has finally caught up to him, and on the final stretch of it all, too. Frustration is soon to set in, and his feelings start to get the better of him, but Zakariah's words bounce around in the back of his head as a constant reminder.

The need to stay calm, and stay focused. This was more than a task of picking flora from a cabin in the woods, but rather, a test to see whether your resolve could handle the trials ahead. Perseverance is key, so time and time again, through what seems like an infinite amount of failures, he preservers, just as he knew he should.

Spoiler

ID: 169803

BD: 7 | CD: 1 | LD: 1 | MD: 4

Fail! (4/5)

Edited by Enryu

And after what seems like an eternity, the young adventure's fingers press against the final rose. It's held in his hand, and snapped from the stem, just as the rest. After a quick inspection, he deems it worthy, but what of Zakariah ..? Through squinted eyes, he scrutinizes the piece until a conclusion is made. "Perfect," he calls it. "A masterpiece."

This gets a chuckle out of Enryu, but it's quickly snuffed by a hand he brings to his mouth. "So, anyway," he begins to say, "What's left now?"

"We venture back, and craft that potion I spoke so highly of," the man responds with a smile. "And then I'll have you deliver it to one of my personal friends."

Easy enough. A sigh of relief escapes his lips, for this had been more taxing than he could ever realize. The two of them stand, and start their journey back home. The path they used to get here is the same one they use to head back.

Spoiler

ID: 169804

BD: 7 | CD: 9 | LD: 14 | MD: 1

Success! (5/5)

Edited by Enryu

After a short trip, the two of them arrive back in the market center to discuss their plans. The shopkeeper goes into detail, saying, "First, we'll crumble the leaves and place them in a mortar, then we'll add a bit of honey nectar to really stick the formula together," and whilst Enryu listens, he wasn't really retaining any of the information at all. It's in one ear, and out the other with him, though, nevertheless, he says, "I've got it," with all the confidence in the world.

Zakariah leads the way and steps inside, showcasing his array of potion making equipment off on a countertop to the side. It's his own personal crafting station, but he'll allow Enryu the opportunity to use it as well, but it is he that places the petals, and stems they had previously harvested beside it. The greenery is still fresh, and fumigates a lovely, earthy aroma. "It's one of the better things about this profession," Zakariah admits. "The smell of the wilderness, always at your doorstep."

Edited by Enryu

The ingredients are placed together into a random assortment of mishmash and the such, into the mortar just as Zakariah had instructed. With this expert over his shoulder, there really should be no chance of failure, so he crunches these leaves, and shreds the petals. A tablespoon of honey is dropped into the center like some binding solution, and he stirs it all together. The earthy smells really start to come to life now. "Good," the seller comments, "Keep it going, just like that."

He is sure to correct any mistake that Enryu is foolishly enough to make, keep watch with a keen eagle eye, but these mistakes are hard to come by. It seems that he's a natural after all. "Now, just pour that out into this vial, and you should be done," says the man. It's done, just as he asked, and the solution is a mesmerizing color, something between a luminescent bulb, and the red of a rose. It's absolutely stunning, and something Enryu can confidently smile at. It's lidded, and placed into a small, cardboard box - the same box he would deliver this to Lyle in.

Spoiler

ID: 169911

BD: 10 | CD: 10 | LD: 11 | MD: 2

Success!

It seems that this quest was coming to a close, and Enryu hadn't really considered himself to be an emotional person, but Zakariah had left an imprint in this young adventurer - one he wouldn't soon be able to forget. Be it a piece of computer data, or something greater, this NPC had guided him in the right direction, and for that, he says, "Thank you for everything," to which Zakariah replies; "Don't thank me. You had it in yourself all along."

A smile, and a nod is all he leaves the man with. Thoughts of returning perhaps in the future cross his mind, but unfortunately, he knew that he needed to keep his eyes set on the straight ahead, for now. In order to revisit this place, he needed to survive the grueling trials that awaited him ahead, so he sets foot out of that potion seller's store without even a glance back, and heads back into the daylight. Out in the market square, a turn on the heel leaves him sprinting for the world!..

"Here I come!"

A short trek across town leads him to a blacksmith's shop, per Zakariah's orders. It's dubbed Lyle's Smithy and dons a burning furnace out in the front of shop. It's smouldering coal, and the black fumes effectively take out Enryu's breath. He coughs, though tries to hold it in. With one hand placed on the door, and another holding that precious potion, he enters, and to his surprise, is greeted by a stout, elderly smith with these bulging laborer's arms. The blacksmith turns to him, and introduces himself as, "Lyle. A pleasure to meet you, son."

"You're-- You're Lyle? I was expecting a gir--," he holds his tongue. "I have a package for you, sir."

It's presented to him, and the old man takes it within his grasp. One glance is all it takes for him to say, "Ah! Finally! I've been waiting days for this, that big oaf!"

And then, that's when Lyle turns back to him and asks that fateful question.

"Say, you wouldn't be able to help an old man out, would you?"

Spoiler

Quest Complete! 

Rewards:
+4 SP!

x5 T1 Health Potion «Rare»
 -- Restore +40 HP once.

1x T1 Damage Potion
«Uncommon»
 -- Gain +1 Damage.

1x T1 Over-Health Potion
«Special»
 -- Gain +50 Maximum HP for remainder of a thread.

Edited by Enryu