[F01-SP] meal <<Earning a Living: Cook>>

<<Earning a Living: Cook>>

When he woke, it was with a finger prodding his right cheek.

"Max."

Eyes open wide, his gaze travelled to the figure looming over him. It was Emmett who stared back at him, wearing a docile expression lined with concern. His brother certainly wasn't one to pester the younger for his waking hours. How long had he been out for? Behind him, sunlight poured through the windows without mercy, the swarm of dust particles eagerly rising to greet the new day.

"Oh," Daemien returned. The youth's eyes reflexively flickered open and shut, lids heavy, threatening to send him back to rest. "Morning, brother."

"It's the afternoon, actually."

Emmett's form pulled away from Daemien's side, the man shuffling over to another corner of the room. A sad palette of dark wood and broken boards from where his brother once stood seemed to offer him the same greeting, and dryly he found himself repeating to the foreign wall. Morning to you too, decrepit house.

hKekRSz.png
  DAEMIEN | HP: 20/20 | DMG: 1 | LD: 6
Spoiler

[EQUIPMENT]

• Costa de Estrellas
    -- [ Loot Die III | +3 LD. ]

[BATTLE-READY INVENTORY]

• - - -

[BUFFS]

Spoiler
  • [T1E3] Ice Cream Mochi (1) | LOOT DIE III

With a groan, Daemien decided to close his eyes. A shift of his position only sent his hair to tickle his upper arms holding his head aloft. Only after a few seconds' hesitation did he brush away the rheum from the corners of his vision, collecting himself to slowly lift his body up from the makeshift bed he'd finally -- regrettably -- found comfortable.

All around the room the two brothers stowed away in were various wooden structures. Junk or scrap wood, they'd now been repurposed to the two players as different types of furniture; a platformed seating area here on this dinky table, a small desk there where the duo had set aside their various selection of trinkets obtained from the day's scavenging outdoors. And the bed he'd slept on had been nothing more than various crates ever since the day they'd found the shack, turned over so that their bottoms faced upwards, before being draped over with a large piece of white tarp.

Their living conditions had been fine. Daemien imagined he'd been through worse, even though he was fairly certain he hadn't back in the real world from how his family had been decently taken care of. Still, it was sort of like camping out in a shoddy treehouse, without a familiar oak or fir holding their little hut up. The act of playing pretend never seemed to grow old.

Daemien stretched, pulling his arms and bending backwards, the youth's narrowed vision still adjusting to the radiance of the light from outdoors. "So, brother," he quipped with a charming, gentle smile. "What's with the interruption?"

--After all this time in Aincrad, I'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner, really.

Emmett had his back turned to his young brother, facing a low make-shift table set up by the side. Upon it was a large burlap sack, its entrance kept open with a stitching of woven rope.

"Today's the day of the patch," he'd stated, amusement light in his tone. The man's fingers fumbled with his bag's strings. "The professions were live since midnight, according to some people. So by now, I imagine every eager crafter would have had their respective quest shoved out of the way. We should be able to take our time."

Daemien hummed thoughtfully, shuffling over to his brother's side. "Well then, it's a good thing I slept in, huh?"

A grin and a chuff were both shot his way. Emmett tussled his younger brother's hair, scattering his locks in a messier manner than his bed head.

"Hey!"

The youth battered his older's hands away, the man chuckling at his objection as he reeled back his arm. Gently, Daemien's fingers worked to comb his tangled, wafting strands outwards, calling the tufts to order.

"And what would you answer to if it'd started in the middle of the day?"

Daemien breathed. "Tough luck, I guess."

"We should be out there early, too. The more time we've got to experiment with the mechanic, the better our chances are that we could secure a better living for ourselves."

"You mean a life of dry food and maybe better bedding?"

Despite the fact that their lives had been turned digital, in the time he'd taken getting used to the shambled bed, a dull pain had started to grow around his back. He couldn't tell if it was a matter of self-imposed perception or if the world was genuinely chasing him to seek higher straits. As Daemien rubbed the sore spot gently, he scoffed. "Makes it sound like we're pets."

"And yet it's better than having to put your life on the line for money," Emmett responded, slinging the bag over his shoulder, the sack falling behind him. "Don't you agree?"

"Oh, definitely," the younger brother hastily returned, and he turned around, letting his stead lead them on their afternoon's journey.

The warmth of the outdoor flooded into the room just as the two players stepped out of their abode.

"Have you given any thought to your profession of choice?" The question was posed to Daemien, just as the youth's sleepy gaze swept across the busy streets of the Town of Beginnings. Side by side, the brothers strolled along in near tandem, Emmett taking his strides slow, his height nearly dwarfing his idle-paced sibling.

Profession of choice...

The player murmured, returning to his headspace as he was spoken to. "No. Can't say that I have."

Emmett hummed.

"It's not like they'd put out a list of what was available. ...Did they?"

"They didn't," the elder replied, corners of his lips curling upwards. "But I was wondering if there was some preference on your mind."

Daemien paused, processing his brother's words. He captured his visage at the corner of his eyes. "That's so vague. What am I supposed to answer that with?"

"Anything at all. As long as you'd thought about it."

The players were silent for a while. What filled the space between them were the lively chattering of the townsfolk, alongside the shuffles of new crafters and bustling couriers making their way about town. Daemien once had his hands in his pockets; he took one of them out, thumbing his chin in thought for a moment.

He couldn't come up with much of anything.

"Y'know," he finally mentioned, catching the attention of Emmett. "I'm starting to miss mom's cooking."

More quiet. Daemien didn't see his brother's eyes widening in confusion, jaw slack and mouth agape in surprise. Then, it grew into a smile, and the man finally started to laugh.

The player gave his sibling some time. "What," he finally shot back with cheeky smirk stuck on his face, just as Emmett was starting to hack and cough. "Did I say something off? At least I thought about it myself, no?"

"So a chef, then?" Emmett returned, barely managing to contain his giggles. "What, making all that dry food on your own?"[/COLOR]

"Is there a culinary profession?" Daemien folded his arms, strolling up towards the city center. He had to admit, he was half expecting an answer from his brethren, but continued when he'd received no reply. "...Well, look on the bright side, alright? At least we won't have to pay gather col just to taste cardboard."

"You wouldn't have to worry about that when I've got mine set in stone."

How can you be so sure of that...?

A few swipes of his hand, and Emmett pulled up his interface, summoning his communications once the duo had slowed to a halt. Daemien leaned into his arm as he typed, watching his conversation unfold with great interest.

"And here I figured you'd already gotten around to messaging them."

The raised finger from his older brother gestured to the top-most text message in the window. "Busy," he commented, "and I wouldn't blame them for the hour. 10am was not a good time for talking."

"Join the 'Maxwell Sleep-In Crew', then." Another smart remark from the youth that earned his brother's chuckle. "Seems as though we've been having a freight load of success these days, haven't we?"

"Huh," Emmett murmured with a smile. From his messenger, a bubble with a short list of co-ordinates seemed to appear. "And I wonder who's support they must rely on?"

It wasn't long before their strides had taken them to the various locales around the city. In a turn of luck, it did seem that there had actually been a cooking profession; the queue of players that had fronted its store were shifting in and out of the chef's workshop at a sluggish, arduous pace. Daemien had groaned just as he'd slotted himself in line for the quest. "Thought you'd said everyone else had gotten past this in the morning," he complained, sights set on the open door in the distance.

"Everyone else eager." A correction from Emmett, matched with a wry look. Impatience and worry seemed to ooze out of his expression, the flash of which Daemien had only noticed with a keen eye as he turned upwards to look at his brother's face. "Guess we're staying in line for the night."

The younger blustered. "C'mon, you've got your own to camp at too. Don't make me hold you up for it."

A pause, before Emmett spoke again. "Would you be okay on your own? They might want to have you leave town, so..."

"... Can't be that deadly."

I've survived worse, Daemien thought, although the impulse was of high suspicion to the man. Emmett seemed to stiffen at his casual remark, and the youth quickly followed his words up after a brief pause. "Plus, you're the breadwinner here, if you're insistent on making sure we won't be in need for col."

"Only if you promise to take care of yourself while I'm away," his brother said. Daemien couldn't help but grin.

"Like I would want for anything less."

The quest objective had read 'gather 5 materials'.

Daemien had never seen a single one before. Perhaps he should've taken that tidbit into account before accepting to scour the first floor on his own. With a sigh, the man stumbled out the workshop, brushing the back of his head with an open palm. Not a second later, he found himself shifting away from the entrance, leaving the queue of players that dared to shuffle forward.

Okay, think fast, he told himself, scanning the vicinity for any signs of aide. Where exactly would one find materials...?

...Hell, what am I even supposed to be looking out for...?

Moments passed, and his eyes narrowed, trying to pay better attention to his surroundings. It was when he'd tilted his head the direction of the line for a split second that he spotted the figure ahead of him bolt past his form in a rush, a bright blush streak tearing down the pavement towards one of the main streets of town.

Daemien staggered in hesitation. Uh, I'd be damned if that wasn't a sign, he reasoned, before taking off after them in same rapid steps.

Spoiler

ID: 170729 | LD: 15 (9, +6) | Material found. (1/5)

The white (or red?) rabbit seemed to take him out of town. Not a good sign nor place to be when he was out exploring the game on his own.

He paused at the gates, skidding to a halt right when the white rocks met the dirt road from beyond the confines of his sanctuary. Watchful eyes tailed his fleeing target as they swept over the emerald fields just beyond his vision. And just as he was about to stall in his indecision, hand midway through summoning his menus, what caught his interest more were two glowing orbs, sat side by side at the corner of his sights, past the detested border.

Dared he step past where he was warned not to venture out to? Even if he held no contention to the boundary nor the outdoors, he knew of the many warnings that had come from players during their first few months outside. The enemies that would surely unsettle him, the dangers of heading outside a safe zone completely unguarded, the responsibilities--

-- Eh.

Spoiler

ID: 170730 | LD: 16 (10, +6) | Material found. (2/5)

Daemien took three steps outside. Bent down, and picked up the small collection of shinies by his feet.

As soon as he'd reached out to touch them, their forms seemed to materialize before his eyes, the orbs morphing to take the shape of a peculiar stalk of herb, and a flash of light over his quest objective seemed to distract him from the real world further. The man held the stalk clusters up closer for examination; two separate pieces of 'materials', and he could barely comprehend seeing any of these being used for his craft.

It's not like mom used these plants before, he noted, before bumping up the edge of their stalks for the sticks to line up in his hands. He'd entertained briefly the possibility of storing them on his person (Hey, was that why Emmett was carrying that sack from earlier? Damn, I should've brought one too--) before awkwardly trying to slide the plants upright in his pants' pocket.

Spoiler

ID: 170731 | LD: 14 (8, +6) | [nothing. oh well.]

Instead, they seemed to disintegrate into shards, Cardinal ever-listening to Daemien's wishes for storage. As per his preferences, a menu indicating their placement in the cluttered list that was his inventory appeared right by the corner of his vision, and he sighed at that mess, dragging the window to his front with a hold using his middle finger.

It was a system that worked in theory. But given the random amount of stuff he'd picked up from stores for comfort, the materials now looked no different from the hoard of random junk he'd continued to keep on his person. And it wasn't like Emmett was any different, either.

A grumble escaped him as he waved away the hieroglyphics from his display. Mayhaps it was best to just rush through the quest and its objectives, just so he could put the thought of his inventory out of mind. And just like that, Cardinal seemed to answer him again with a gift of another material, the orb forming right around the walls of the city on the outskirts.

Spoiler

ID: 170732 | LD: 22 (16, +6) | Material Found. (3/5)

An easy collection. Daemien only needed to stroll up to it to cache it in his hammer space. Only then did he begin to contemplate about the dangers of wandering out into the wilderness, if only to appease the thought of Emmett's concerns later. As the man took his steps forward, his legs carried him around the pearly walls of the city, a cool breeze rippling through the ocean of grass beyond.

It was welcoming, to say the least. Daemien couldn't remember when the last time he'd seen grassland was, even in his time out in the real world. Aincrad had taken too much of his focus to recall these tiny details... or maybe he wasn't feeling much to remembering them, he reasoned. His fingers brushed up the locks of his fringe, tracing gently over his scalp as he let out an exhale.

Maybe he should wander outside again just to take in the view.

Spoiler

ID: 170761 | LD: 14 (8, +6) | [nothing. oh well.]

-- Of course, non-safe zones were still scary and fraught with danger. Daemien had very little reason to follow through with his passing misjudgment, lest he'd wanted to find himself six feet under. But for now, whilst the quest required of him to step away from the city (presumably) and the boars that lingered about the fields 30 feet away were paying him no amount of attention, he had every excuse to take his chances.

Even if it would mean worrying his brother just a bit.

Don't worry, I'm concerned about my own safety too...

A glint caught his eye, however, the player's sights tracking back from the beyond to the present, eyes settling upon another pair of white glows. Right; his time was better spent watching the floor for any signs of his materials rather than ogling the distant shore. With quick bounds, he'd launched himself to the materials' sides, stashing them away as needed.

Spoiler

ID: 170762 | LD: 22 (16, +6) | Material Found. (4/5)

Just like that, quest completed. And here he'd wondered if he needed to call on his sibling for help.

At the pace I'm going, it's more likely that Emmett would need my help more than me his...

With a shake of his head, Daemien started on his journey back, rounding the walls once again. It was in little time that he'd made it towards the culinary workshop, wondering how any of these herbs would be able to make a fine meal.

They have to supply the main course before I can do anything... right?

He winced at the thought otherwise. Sure, salads were edible, but even leafy greens could only go so far to be considered appetizing. And there was the question of having to find vegetables, too; in his bag space, all he had seemed more like a handful of weeds than fine goods and spices.

The player huffed to himself, stopping his tracks when he'd caught sight of the queue. Then, with another groan, Daemien shuffled towards the back of the line.

It now seemed to stretch out further into the streets.

Spoiler

ID: 170763 | LD: 16 (10, +6) | Material Found. (5/5)

When he woke, it was a drop of morning dew hitting his right cheek.

Eyes open wide. His eyes reflexively flickered open and shut, lids heavy, threatening to send him back to rest. But he got up anyway, hands to his side as he slowly lifted his body off the ground.

Two hands rubbed at his eyes, then his face. In the distance, birds were singing. He was sure if he'd looked hard enough around his vicinity, he'd be able to spot a small garden for him to tend to, just until he'd gotten bored of his locale or they'd decided to drop their guardian some materials. Either way, a low whine escaped him, the man taking his sweet time to wake from his restorative slumber.

Surely there had to be better ways for him to pass the time in this game. That, or stave off the sleep Cardinal had assumed was necessary for these players.

No reason for me to do that, Daemien thought to himself, just as he'd picked himself off the grass and out of his sleeping bag. A few feet away in this isolated grove stood a small make-shift stone oven, fashioned out of rocks with only its interior as metal, made portable for travelling chefs like him. Where a fire should be lit in its crevice, a bundle of coal and dry wood remained, darkened by the shadows cast from the scattered rays of light above. For maximum efficiency and space constraints, it had a tiny stove area set above the rock, too, stacked upon two extra layers of scaffolding before its fireplace could be met.

Not the only piece of equipment he'd scavenged, it seemed. By the side, there was a small fire pit with a tripod set up over it, an empty cast iron container held over the remaining ashes of last night's flames. Three stumps were lined in a row by the campfire's side, a small linen sack resting carefully upon their surface.

He took it, unraveling the cloth to reveal a set of metal cutlery and utensils. A withdrawl netted the player two items; a frying pan, and a rectangular metal plate. The latter was set upon a wooden folding table between his equipment, alongside the summoning of multiple different ingredients laid across the surface of his workspace. As for the frying pan, Daemien set it upon the metal netting of his stove, before starting to summon a few pieces of kindling and some flint and steel.

The man would hum if he could. The start of every day was a slow, tedious procedure, warming up his skills for cooking before the real challenge of crafting could begin. Just when his dry flakes began to catch flame, he withdrew from his setup, pacing over to his counterspace and beginning to remove a few choice ingredients for the morning meal.

A rolled up sleeve as he approached his warmed pan, meat and eggs ready in his hands.

Now...

Let's begin.

Spoiler

ID: 171048 | CD: 11 | Tier 1 Rare Snack crafted. [-1 T1 Material from the completion of this thread.] 

Item Name: Breakfast Fry
Item Type: Tier 1 Rare Snack
Profession: R1 Cook
ID & Rolls: 171048 | CD: 11
Enhancements: EVASION II
Description: Easy-over eggs paired with a side of grilled bacon. Simple, pleasant and filling.
Post Link: [here]