[PP|F1] <<Earning a Living>> Taking a Turn

This time, Sven actually gave it his all to make a successful meal so neither the cook nor Chase would continue to be disappointed. Again though, he just managed to fail and make another smoldering piece of bread. No good out of that. He scratched the back of his head, realizing this would be harder than expected. He would have to ask Chase if there's an item that can help with the results, because this was absolutely desperate and not a good start.

Despite that though, the cook wasn't dissapointed. If anything, this time she smiled pleasantly, having taken notice of the blonde's efforts. "Try cooking it at a lower temperature this time around, and check on it frequently to not let it burn again.", she advised him, only to get a blank stare for a while before a grin. "You got it, boss.". At least when he wanted to, he could take instructions quite well.

image.png.5b5a21c54a1c2a44cafd55ee1d9e0e5c.png

[Salvage Failed. -1 T1 Material]

Edited by Sv3n

After a while, he snapped out of his nostalgic trance because of hearing happy shouting and clapping from inside the restaurant. He took that as a sign that Sven was in fact, successful in his efforts- maybe a rare, just like Chase had gotten? He waited with his head turned towards the door, only to see it open as Sven walked out with a proud grin on his face. He held out the piece of bread that he'd cooked, steaming and smelling more than simply pleasant. "... You actually did a good job at it, huh.", he said rather surprised, only to hear a 'Tsk, tsk, tsk.' in return.

"I'm truly ashamed you didn't believe and trust in my culinary strengths... I told you however, as of now, I am to become a humble cook and rise through the ranks of this cruel system, for the better of the people of course.". And the only response he got in return of course, was the only logical one. "You realize you sound like a main villain more than anything else right now, and that's making me reconsider if you cooking was a good choice in the first place, right?". No response. Sven just sneered and watched him, exchanging silent glances for a while. A sigh and a shake of Chase's head.

Edited by ChaseR

Now that everything was done and the quest had been wrapped up, Sven watched his level go up by a fair amount after god knows how long he’d been stuck at level one. All this time, doing what? Feeling bad about himself? Crying in a room and wondering if he’d ever be broken out of this virtual hellscape through the sheer, terrifying power of the frontliners? No. That was for weaklings, like blue. He was, in fact, devising plans to get rich quick.

It’s a shame that they’ll never come to fruition due to the leash that Chase had managed to slip on him with their deal. “Listen closely, okay? You’ll need to rank up your cooking, then you should go looking for the Greek twelve gods over in the seventeenth floor. They’ll challenge you to a craft battle, but I’m sure you’ll find some way to scam them. Beat them and they’ll give you an item to help you improve your crafting.”, he said with a slow nod, keeping his arms crossed and a blank face. “Got it?”

image.png.3021314e8779e4056fb756d26a2260c5.png

image.png.334ad29b8f0e8078a60c89c76aed926b.png

[Succesful Salvage, Perfect Food crafted! -1 T1 Material]

Edited by Sv3n

“... I couldn’t come up with a lie as rich as that, I have to say.”, Sven commented before letting out a deep sigh himself, only to get complete silence in response from Chase. “I-I’m not lying, Kayaba actually did that!”, he snarled in response. If it weren’t for how easily frustrated he got, the blonde probably wouldn’t have believed him. But then again, there was little reason an honest, naive boy like him would try to fool anyone- let alone after preaching about not tricking others so much.

Not that he’d never do that, just now didn’t seem like a time for him to go back on his words- and he didn’t suspect he would either. Regardless, he gave a nod. “I added you to my friends list. Accept me. If you need materials, hit me up and I’ll restock you.”, Chase offered only to get another nod out of Sven. And with that, the two appeared on one another’s list, and waved one another goodbye. For now. “Off you go with your 'ordered' bread bun, kid. Enjoy it~.”, Sven hummed in the back of his head, watching him disappear into the distance.

Edited by ChaseR

While Chase was walking away, Sven took a deep breath and looked all the way back to the fields. Since he would be cooking, it'd be good to learn where to go looking for the right materials. So in an attempt to practice in doing exactly that, he headed out of the Town of Beginnings once again, except this time he was on his own. He wouldn't make any dumb moves like approaching boars, and most definitely any other players. He knew that few could truly be trusted, given his own identity and hobby.

"Let's see... How would some bushes be?", he grumbled on his own and began to sift through the grasses, the weeds and the bushes nearby. Most were empty, probably either plucked by him earlier before or by the monsters nearby. After all, the monsters had to somehow eat all the same, didn't they? Hm. He'd never even stepped out into the fields before, so this was most definitely a new sort of experience.

image.png.d6434a371781dcc2c67a20e9a505be5c.png

Materials Found: 3/5

Edited by Sv3n

While heading back, Chase could notice that Sven had gone all the way back to the fields through the friends list. He wasn't going to try running away, but actually working hard at it- or somehow on it, if not hard. Whichever the case, he decided to mail him his Silver Earring, so he could improve his chances at finding something worthwhile there- he'd need to return it of course, otherwise he'd be in big trouble. He made sure to keep that clear in the message. With it having been sent off, he stepped onto the teleporter in front of the Black Iron Castle and got enveloped in a blue flash of light.

With that, he was all the way back to the twenty first where his home stayed, grinning and beginning to walk. He looked to the side at the hot springs, feeling the warm, soothing steam blow towards him. Just at the memory of the fourth's hot springs near Shay's house, he could feel himself already melting and relatively relaxing. "Mm... Maybe I should take a trip by here to relax. I got myself a good deal today, after all."

[ChaseR offers Sv3n <<Silver Earring>> (T1/Perfect/LD III).]

Upon being sent the message, Sven opened up his inbox and quickly gave it a read, opening it and receiving some form of an item. An earring, but it didn't seem to fit him as much as he wished- "Silver? I think gold would do me one better- Oh?". Then he saw the fine print and realized this was but a temporary item that he'd need to return to him afterwards. No biggie with it not fitting too well into his wardrobe then, that was fully managable and understandable. He quietly accepted it from his inventory and put it on, taking out a vanity mirror to look at his handsome mug.

"I suppose it's not too bad, it could do with a few improvements, but... I can see some effort's been put into it. Did the kid make it?". It was much like Chase's first craft, but what he didn't know was the fact it'd been made by a grandmaster artisan. The gull of this guy was beyond words- the only thing that could put him in his place would be a punch to the face and a dangerous situation. He knew that very well, and that's exactly why he avoided those kinds of situations!

[Sv3n accepts <<Silver Earring>> and equips it. (+3 LD)]

Chase on the other hand didn't know if Sven had even accepted the item or not. He was hoping that the con artist wasn't a complete idiot and just rolled with it, shrugging it off. Whatever the case, he was going to send him the earring back, like it or not- otherwise he knew were to go get him and squeeze it right back out of his inventory. He stepped into the courtyard of his estate, looking at the mansion with a cheeky grin. Finally, to be back home after having another rough day because of a certain someone.

No better feeling than opening the door and getting hugged by Blizz right away, who was eager for some headpats apparently. He had his mood swings, so Chase obliged. He couldn't hear much around the house, so that meant Shay was out... again. Doing something. "... Hell if I know.", he grumbled lowly to himself and looked at Blizz as his smile began to emerge again.

Edited by ChaseR

Having equipped the ring, he just saw some number go up in his menu. Not that it was something he personally understood, never having been too involved with combat or the numbers that didn't involve money in games. "Meh, should be easier to find me some good grub now anyways.", he hummed and began to look around for more items, ending up a fair bit away from the Town of Beginnings. He never approached any of the packs of boars or other monsters like wolves that he saw, preferring to not risk his safety.

Even if it took him a while, he would continue to look around. He wanted at least a good set of spices to use, or some other dastardly materials he could pull 'pranks' on others. Not so much pulling a prank as just being a dick with the food he gave them. However, no good luck yet. While definitely a shame, it happened when it happened.

image.png.ea34c02859952f6e6fc5f0e96b11e12e.png

Materials Found: 3/5

Edited by Sv3n

Now that Shay came into mind actually, pushing back any negative thoughts on the matter of their relationship, he opened up his menu and silently stared at the weapon he was given to hand over to her. "... Yuki did give me this. Tch. I guess I should give it to Shay to help her motivate herself to get to Tier three faster. Alongside the etching that I was given, so she can replace whatever enchantment she wants. I don't want to just make a mistake with a gift like that. I shouldn't hide that I didn't make this though.", he huffed and scratched the back of his head.

Chase quietly picked up Blizz and placed him on his soldier, switching into his pyjamas through the menu and grinning at the little rascal. "So... What's on the menu today Blizz?", he told him with a grin and headed over to the living room, looking out the window at the crystals that beautifully decorated the entire cave system the twenty first was built inside of.

Edited by ChaseR

Before he even got enough time to comment on it, he saw a glimmer through the grasses just a bit further away from where he stood. And then an idea came to mind. He crouched and grabbed whatever that material was, only to find out it was grasses- and not ones that seemed edible. Hell, if anything, this went along with his plan. They probably had a bitter or other form of foul taste, and would be best used by an Alchemist. Now, if they counted as a material that meant they couldn't only be used by one, and that's when his devilish grin emerged again.

"Oh, this is pretty good, pretty good indeed~.", he chuckled to himself and got up, stretching his sore body slightly as he began to wonder. "... Has the kid realised that I only gave him a vanity food this time around..? As for this one, heh."

image.png.9caa6ed1f1e37a00e1a548bea65afda3.png

Materials Found: 4/5

Edited by Sv3n

He could spend hours upon hours just looking outside at the crystals and how they shone almost natural light all over the place, his house included. While he was more close to cold temperatures, just like Blizz was the most comfortable in them, this floor had been an absolute treat to find a house in. He didn't regret the decision any, but seeing how much Col he had... Maybe it'd be best to expand on it, build a few more rooms from those he'd left under construction initially.

And now that he thought about it, he hadn't updated his little skill database on the basement. Little did he knew that once the twenty fifth floor boss was wiped, he'd need to rewrite a plentiful of skills properly. If only any single one of them was aware of what was to come- nah, probably only Kayaba. Unless he'd let Cardinal just do as it pleases with the updates. It had its own form of sentience and decision making after all, didn't it?

Edited by ChaseR

"I'll give him this one when he comes back to the shop once I've made it but damn, he gets tricked easily. No clue how he picked up on it the first time.". His thoughts were perfectly streamlined, and his course of action even more so. Always trick others, always pay them back if and when they notice and confront you. That's just how Sven worked, the way everybody loved or hated him. Mostly the latter. For now though, with a happy clap of his hands, it was time to get right back to gathering the materials from the grasses.

Nothing seemed to be nearby, so he quickly pocketed his hands in his suit and began to look around, just in case he'd see another glimmer shy out of the grasses to come right to him. However, nothing really appeared no matter how far he wandered. "The game's being really unruly with me, isn't it..."

image.png.02a09063f43d1e0c546d96c39fc612cf.png

Materials Found: 4/5

Edited by Sv3n

Whatever the case, it was going to happen, and nobody knew just how greatly it will impact them. For now, they did the best they could with the system that had the helm- the one that they were most familiar with, in this case, and the only one that Chase had known. He moved from the living room up in his house over to the second floor where his bedroom is, but... Nothing. Once more, it was empty. Shay hadn't been napping inside nor was she anywhere else on the floor.

It's a shame, seeing how he worked so much for the estate and then Shay just went into a big of a passive slumber, giving up on quests because "he got stronger than her" or something else he couldn't understand. Right now, she was in a mess he couldn't help her out of. She wanted to quest alone and get everything done herself. If Chase, a tank couldn't do that though, somebody more fragile just by numbers certainly couldn't...

Edited by ChaseR

And he didn't even want another one after this, just one last material and then he could call it a day and get to designing his cart. Why a cart? He wanted to be able to stroll around the first and get as many customers as possible. He was sure this idea had been practiced before of course, but there wasn't any better way to truly go about it. He had an eccentric appearance and knew he'd get a few glances from the humble ladies amongst the players- Ahem. 

No point in dressing eccentric to get looks if you're all huddled up inside of a store, after all. That defeats the purpose, doesn't it? That it does. Just when he rounded up all of his thoughts, he still saw no material- and so he turned around to see one he'd missed on his way here. He crouched to pick it up, seeming like spices of sorts. Now he was fully set to begin heading back over to the Town of Beginnings.

image.png.286d5cb6decc41da26acf427e669ff1c.png

Materials Found: 5/5

Edited by Sv3n

Questing as is would mean certain death for her and anybody else that tried it. That's the same reason that he had been training Alkor all this time, and it should have been the same for everybody else helping out a second tier. It's not that they're too weak, the game just became all too hard right now. This was putting him in a negative state of mind though, so he stopped thinking about it. Instead, he began to walk up the third floor and then the fourth one, arriving to his own bedroom. Neatly placed in the attic of the house.

It wasn't big, and neither was it luxurious. It was just the bare essentials, but Chase didn't need to ask for more. The house was his after all, if he wanted a better bedroom, he could always just switch his own to suit his needs better- wasn't that right? "... Wanna take a nap, Blizz? Or do you want to go out and quest with me a bit?", he laughed it off, hearing Blizz croak happily.

Edited by ChaseR

Silently heading over, he'd moved both of his hands behind his head, humming lowly to himself. A truly victorious tune he was singing, enjoying life to its fullest. Even if he wasn't 'scamming' others any more, the fact he had to keep a profession up and sneak in as many loopholes in the system as possible was still as enticing as ever. Maybe even more so than just trying to cheat money out of others really. "A cook, huh? I should start thinking up of recipes to use, shouldn't I? Say, actually, SAO's system is very weak when it comes to being complicated. You tap something with a knife, it breaks into tons of cubes. Just cook something until it works, isn't that how it goes? I'll have to get me some materials though, tch.". The problems still existed in some ways, while in others the whole process had been simplified- a bit too much, even. Whatever the case, he had a solid basis to start thinking of; his catalogue for the little shop. 

The laughing continued, but... "Er... I'm not sure which of the two it was, but since you haven't jumped to the bed yet... I'm guessing questing it is?", he went off on his own and scratched the back of his head awkwardly, just smiling down at the pangolin. He looked out of the attic's window for a moment, enjoying the view from this high up. Even if heights weren't his forte, the fact that he could see everything outside of his courtyard all the way to the floor's main settlement. What quests could they pick up right now with no issue?

He began to scroll through his friends list, looking at the various people on there to try and scout the right one for what quests he had left. Then again, the one he'd left for nobody in particular so far just so happened to be the Halibut one with the Fossil Fish.

And by now, he was already working on making a mental design of what his cart would be like. The name of his store, how he'd advertise it, what foods he'd serve. All of which would need a lot of thinking, but knowing how crafty Sven could be, it'd take him a few hours at most. All he needed really was a good front and a better mastery of cooking in Aincrad, nothing more, nothing less. For now though, he'd just get the design over with and move on to the rest in due time.

He entered the Town of Beginnings and quietly walked towards the inn that he rested in usually, opening up his menu to take a look at his remaining Col. This quest net him the few he needed for another night, but all would be good. He was about to open up shop right now after all, so he'd have no issue affording even more luxurious inns or his house, once he'd gotten enough traction.

For that quest, Chase had heard the fish at the end was as hard as a boulder, if not much harder. He could probably barely scratch it, so he'd need somebody at least as strong as NIGHT or Mari for this. He'd message them sooner or later anyways, for now he wanted to enjoy a good few more minutes in his house to relax and kick back. He began to walk back down the stairs until he reached his basement, figuring that he could at the very least update some of his entries on the skill categories with more up-to-date information.

Opening up the main book he used, he turned all the way to the very end and began to fill in the Extra Skills more precisely, having found out what the rest of the familiars do throughout his trips. At the same time, he looked through the Weapon Skills and filling in the sword arts for the Curved Sword- the weapon of choice for Alkor. Getting to know others around Aincrad in the end, proved more useful than he could have expected. At this rate, he'd have filled out his entire database and gotten to Calrex faster than expected.

Spoiler

Thread Rewards:

• ChaseR: 3 SP (2 page, 1 event), 800 Col, 2 T1 Materials
  • Sven: Cooking Profession, 4 SP (1 quest, 2 page, 1 event), 7 T1 Materials, Standard Cook Shop, <<Spicy Bread Bun>> (T1/Perfect/LD III)