[PP][F01] <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>> Too EZ

Ozwald was mostly done with all of the quests on the first floor all he had left was one called Secret Medicine of the Forest. He had heard from some guild mates that it was a rather easy and simple quest, especially with how high level he was compared to it. Ozwald decided that he would put out a request for some people to join him on the quest within his guild, he knew that Valentine was busy to his sadness.

Looking for some help with a quest on the first floor. If interested meet me at the Town of Beginnings main gate.
-Grimm Reaper

Ozwald posted a very simple message to the guild board before he himself walked over to the gate that he told people to meet him at. Ozwald leaned up against the gate post his foot planted against the wall. One would probably think he looked like a ruffian or a rogue with the way he was dressed, if it wasn't for his soft warm smile, and his very short stature.

Spoiler

Name: Grimm Reaper
Level: 20
HP: 400/400
EN: 40/40

Stats:
Damage: 11
Mitigation: 5
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Soul Devourer(tier 1/Perfect/Hand Wraps)[DAM 3]
Armor: Death's Shroud(Tier 1/Perfect/Light Armor)[EVA 1][REC 2]
Misc: Damned Souls(Tier 1/perfect/trinket)[ACC 3]

Skills:
Martial Arts [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 1]

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(+50 hp)*3
[T1]Health potions(rare)(+40 HP)*5
[T1]Damage potion(uncommon)(+1 DAM)*1

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows @Elora

Freyd just happened to be sitting in his usual spot at the main gates to the Town of Beginnings when he received Grimm's message.  He and Marv had just been having an extensive, if one-sided, discussion about the merits of leadership and the necessity of getting to know one's staff if you were supposed to be in charge.  The message's timing couldn't have been more perfect.   

Dressed in his usual dark travelling clothes with a black mask and bandana over his head and eyes, his charcoal-coloured cowl rested at ease upon his shoulders.  He looked like some sort of scout or skirmisher -  definitely a troublesome sort.  Patting Marv on the shoulder, he thanked him once again for his wise counsel.  Marv, for his part didn't react.  But then, he never did.  Marv had never replied or reacted to their conversations in any way whatsoever.  He'd never even reacted to Freyd's presence at all.  That didn't seem to detract the Whisper from coming and sitting in this spot on a regular basis and engaging in everything from existential philosophy to the best local coffee shops.  Most thought him mad, and that suited him just fine. Jumping down from his improvised seat, he accepted the invitation and wandered across the gate to where Grimm was standing.

"Hey, Grimm," he started, "Good timing.  I'm Freyd, also from O&I.  You need a hand with something?"

Freyd uses his Dining Hall to combine Jackpot Pretzels (LD3 snack)([170297 & 170305]) into a lesser feast, consuming one portion himself.  There are two additional portions remaining for @Elora and @Grimm Reaper

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:165/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 75
HP: 1530/1530
EN: 165/165

Stats:
Damage: 20
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 5
BH:76
Abs.Acc
LD:5 (+3)

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Night Vision
Vengeful Riposte

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

Figuring she may as well step up to the challenge of assisting an inexperienced player with one of his first quests, Elora prompty accepted the...Wait, is that really his name? The Grimm Reaper? Geez, sounds like an edgelord. She arose from her rickety bed at the nearby Hummingbard Inn and leisurely made her way to the town's main gate. There she noticed two loitering players -- likely those who she would be accompanying on the mission. The taller one of the two was dressed from head to toe in black, making it difficult to distinguish any of their features, especially those that remained inconspicuous behind a mask. This looks like some kind of intervention, she warned herself with hesitancy. However as she approached them, Elora could make out something familiar behind a pair of garnet eyes. It was -- "Hey Freyd", she nodded to him curtly, doing her best to shrug off the scrutinizing stare she had likely given him during the attempt to decipher his appearance, "Dressing up for Halloween?" The comment was quite brash and bordered on deprecation, but he likely understood her well enough at this point to know that this had not been her intention. Cracking a smile at her own sarcasm, she quickly turned to greet the man who'd likely invited them. "Sorry -- I'm Elora" 

Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1

Spoiler

Name: Elora
Level: 28
HP: 560/560
EN: 56/56

Stats:
Damage: 9
Mitigation: 8
Accuracy: 2
L.M.:2
KEEN:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Unnamed Starting Weapon (T1 Rare 2HAS, ACC 1, DMG 1)
Armor: Auspicious Gi (T1 Rare Light Armor, LM 2)
Misc: Justicar's Vambraces (T1 Rare Trinket, ACC 1, KEEN 1

Skills:
2H Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
Finesse 2

Battle Ready Inventory:
T1 Healing Potions*5
Teleportation Crystal*5
Requires Dimensional Backpack
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

Edited by Elora

"Hello." Ozwald smiled warmly at the pair that decided to join him for his mission. He had stopped bothering hiding his accent after he had met Valentine, and let the thick british accent show through in his words. "My name is Ozwald, Ozwald Grimm, but my friends just call me Grimm." Ozwald had to look up to meet the taller man's gaze, almost obscure by a half mask made of black material. His gaze was still aimed higher than he would like when he looked the girl in the eyes, but not as much so. "I don't need help persay, just company. I want, well need really, to do the secrets of the forest quest here in town. I thought it would be dreadfully boring alone so I figured I would ask someone to join. You in?" Ozwald told the pair that stood before him both the reason he wanted someone to join as well as the quest that they would be joining. Ozwald's red eyes were filled with warmth, and the smile he wore fit the eyes that were watching his fellow guildmates.

One corner of Freyd's lips curled up in mild amusement at Elora's comments, though it vanished just as quickly as it had appeared.  There was likely something afoot to cause her snark.  Maybe today it was the excessive abundance of daylight, or the breeze blowing her hair in the wrong direction?  There was always something, and it usually didn't matter.

"Should I be?" he replied, turning her Halloween jest around with a deadpan question.  Teasing her about her complaints was his version of exposure therapy.  He let her think she'd offended, even though he wasn't and never actually said he was.  She then typically got flustered and somehow ended up being mad at him for him not reacting to her prod.  It had become their unofficial 'thing'.  If she was going to 'mood' at him, his best defense seemed to be to 'not-mood' right back.  Despite all this, he was genuinely glad to see her again, and share another adventure together.

"Always happy to accompany an up-and-coming guild member," he offered to Grimm with a bit more warmth and sincerity.  "I've done this quest before and can lead us to the proper spots.  Your gear looks well-appointed.  Did the guild hook you up?"  Freyd led them through the gate and out, away from the city.  It didn't take them long to reach the Nepent fields, where he encouraged his companions to choose their targets.

"I don't know. Seems unnecessary to me considering we're all always dressed up", she shrugged to dismiss the idea before shifting her attention to listen to Grimm's introduction. His bright eyes and seemingly radiant personality made it difficult for her to stop smiling as he elaborated on his invitation.

Oswald. Yeah, that does sound like a pretty British name. Something about the properness of it didn't seem to match his docile personality, but Elora did her best not to read into the feeling more than that. She had a way of getting whisked away by her thoughts, which often made conversations hard to follow, and subsequently, continue. So for now, she agreed to keep the boy company since doing so would also allow her to complete the quest for her own benefit.

As the three of them walked to the meadow where the creatures would spawn, Elora consumed the stat-boosting food that Freyd had given her. Although she didn't see herself needing the assistance, having a salty snack in place of her missed breakfast was admittedly a welcome gift. The semi-wooded area was sprinkled with splotches of sun where the Dairy Queen-mascotesque-looking flowers, if you could even call them that, writhed and slithered around on their all-too-smooth gnarly appendages "Ew, that's what they look like? Yeah, I'll be happy to kill them once we get this thing started." 

Spoiler

Elora Consumes one portion or Jackpot Pretzels (+3 LD snack). One portion remains for @Grimm Reaper

Edited by Elora

Ozwald nodded glad that he wasn't going to be doing this quest alone, while the quest was ridiculously underleveled for him he didn't want to have to be alone. Ozwald had already learned from both Chase and Valentine that having someone else to quest with was much superior to doing it alone. Ozwald wished that Valentine had been able to join him on this particular quest, at the rate they were going he was hoping something more would happen soon.

Ozwald walked along beside the companions who agreed to join him on this quest, undoing the necklace that was around his neck putting the turquoise stone away and putting on a necklace with a transparent eye on it before accepting the snack that Freyd had offered. He may have been more of a sweets guy, but the thought was immensely appreciated. Coming on the Nepents Ozwald heard Elora's disgusted comment, completely agreeing with her. "Definitely one of the more disgusting creature's I have seen here. I wouldn't mind putting my fist through them myself."

Spoiler

Ozwald Equipped Celestial Eye T1 Perfect trinket (+3 LD) and consumes the last portion of Jackpot Pretzels (+3 LD Snack)

New Stats: Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | REC:2 | LD: 6

"I hate these damned things," Freyd said with uncharacteristic bile.  "They have no symmetry, no grace, no purpose... and those lips and teeth are just creepy."  Drawing a simple steel blade with a brass cross guard from thin air, he approached the nearest Nepent.  "Someone had to have been a little trippy when they designed these things."  

Holding up a gloved hand, Freyd extended arm and raised his thumb as if gauging  something important in the distance.  Whistling, he got the attention of the nearest Nepent, which promptly waddled towards him in its rather comedic version of aggression.  Freyd, meanwhile, had the flat of his blade pressed against the back of his neck and was twisting his torso casually as if... stretching?

As the monster closed to range and reached for him, he came out of his latest partial rotation.  Grasping the hilt with both hands, he smashed the pulpy mob so hard that its spots fell off while the rest of it went streaking into one, then two, and finally three others of its kind.  All four Nepent plowed like a lit rocket into a patch of thorny bushes.  The entire lot then exploded in a mass of shattering shards. 

Flipping his sword casually into the air, Freyd watched if fall back down to earth, blade-first, and plants itself perfectly upright in the ground.  Smirking like a cocky bastard, he waved Elora forward and winked at her  

"You're up,"  he taunted.

She swore she saw him pull out a little black score book like people use when playing mini-putt.  Was he keeping score?!

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:159/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:56/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Blast (x2 AoE +8 for hits) = 10 EN – (Rested, Finesse 3) = 6 EN

ID #176617 | BD: 4+5=9 (hit).  Freyd deals (2*20=40) damage to Nepent #1.
ID #176618 | BD: 4+5=9 (hit).  Freyd deals (2*20=40) damage to Nepent #2.
ID #176619 | BD: 4+5=9 (hit).  Freyd deals (2*20=40) damage to Nepent #3. 
ID #176620 | BD: 1+5=6 (hit).  Freyd deals (2*20=40) damage to Nepent #4.

Nepent #1 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3
Nepent #2 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3
Nepent #3 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3
Nepent #4 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3

"Symmetry?", remarked Elora as Freyd made off to destroy a few of the creatures, "The fact you brought that up first makes me worry that you think its their most concerning quality"

Elora was surprised and honestly a little taken-aback by Freyd's uncharacteristic playfulness. Typically he seemed more reserved than this, even acting like a bit of a stickler at times. She departed herself from analyzing the change and shifted her attention to entering the battle, as he had encouraged her to do. 

"Not bad, but it looks like you missed one", she retorted by tilting her head and flashing a smirk. Swiftly maneuvering around him and a pair of lofty oak trees, Elora's spear met with the bulbous body of a lurking Nepent. The creature made a terrible squealing sound as it folded over and withered away like the witch from Oz after she'd been splashed with hot water. Just then, another Nepent slithered from the shadowy recess of the woods and lurched at her with its vine-like tendrils. "Wha --!" Elora jumped back, nearly screaming at the unexpected horror of having to see one try to eat her. "Where the hell did that one come from?", she exhaled unsteadily, taking a moment to clutch her chest and still her breathing. Lifting a finger, she looked over to Freyd. "You better not", she warned, fully expecting him to tease her for her hypocrisy. 

"I think this one is all your's, Grimm", she insisted in part because of how afraid she was to approach it again. The similarity of its roots and coiling arms to the body of a snake was all too unsettling.

Spoiler

Elora Attacks with "Heft"  [x2] Heft (2 Energy) - Lift the heavy end of the spear diagonally across your opponent from the ground, cutting their torso with the tip.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:159/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:54/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Blast (x2 AoE +8 for hits) = 10 EN – (Rested, Finesse 3) = 6 EN

ID#: 176685 | BD: 9+2=11 Minor Crit 
Elora deals ( 2*10 = 20) damage to Nepent #5.

Nepent #5 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3
Nepent #6 | HP: 7/7 | DMG 3

Edited by Elora
Spoiler

Capture.PNG.a449344256d66fa8c9e66cbc9757aaa3.PNG
BD: 1(Crit Miss)

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:159/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:54/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Nepent #5 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3
Nepent #6 | HP: 7/7 | DMG 3

Ozwald could see that the two people that had joined him on this quest knew each other which made sense since they were in the same guild. Although Ozwald didn't know either of the two, he didn't feel uncomfortable like he normally would, it looked like Valentine really was changing him for the better.

Ozwald looked at the last remaining Nepent "I don't know how I feel about putting my fist through that." Ozwald sighed in disgust. The creature before him was a slimy mass of white plant flesh hybrid, with a large gaping human mouth near the top. Walking closer to the creature before him Ozwald prepared himself for what was one of his weakest sword arts, launching forward suddenly Ozwald slammed his hand toward the creature fingers outstretched, meaning to stab through it.

Rather than the customary blue sparks that accompany the death of a creature in SAO Ozwald watched as the grotesque plant thing scuttled away on four slimy vine like appendages. Ozwald shuddered visibly, the way the creature moved unnerved him and he despised it. "I guess it wasn't mine." Ozwald commented only a hint of humour shining through the disgust. 

Edited by Grimm Reaper

A mischievous Cheshire-like grin spread across Freyd's face as Elora raised her finger in false protest.  Like that was going to protect her after the smarmy shot she'd just taken.  Cocking his black cowl to the right, the slightest hint of a red eye shone through from within.  The silver blade flashed a hair's breadth in front of his green-haired friend's face, cutting at a diagonal and causing her eyes to widen 'til they threatened to pop out of their sockets.  Several grabby-looking tentacles were severed in the process, spraying  Nepent juice all over the place and covering Elora in it from head to toe. 

Her mouth opened, ready to lay into unleash a stout retort when the oak tree behind her groaned.  Freyd's grin hadn't shifted in the slightest.  A black, leather-clad hand appeared before him, with the index pointed up.  

*CRACK*

*SMASH*

*SPLORT*

The last Nepent exploded as the massive trunk slid off its base and crushed the poor thing, flattening it instantly.  It looked as if some kind of massive boot had just forcefully stomped down on one of those yogurt tube things that came in Happy Meals.  Its innards instantly became it out-ards and splurted all around.  Fortunately, the goo fragmented into digital shards before it landed on anyone.

"That should bring the frilly one out," Freyd said, pleased as punch with the outcome of his strike.

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:159/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:54/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Basic attack: 1 EN.  Recover 1 EN.

ID #176689 | BD:8.  Freyd deals 20 damage to Nepent #6.

Nepent #6 | HP: 0/7 | DMG 3

"FREEEYD!", screamed Elora shrilly as she shuttered in revolution upon feeling the thick ooze matting in her viridian hair trickle down the rest of her body. "WHAT THE HELLL...", she continued to whine with wet hands wiping the slimy substance away from her eyes. Filled with tears from disgust, anger, and the inflammatory digestive chemicals, they seemed to be indicative of her experiencing a fair amount of distress from the ordeal. "I-I'm gonna get you back!", she swore vengeance through a choked voice. 

With a raised hand, she began to swipe at the air and pat around the trunks of surrounding trees like a blind woman trying to navigate without assistance. It wasn't long before the trio could hear the familiar slithering noise of the new Nepent furrowing through the field and rushing over to them. With little hesitation, Elora turned and hurled her spear like a harpoon toward whatever obscured figure appeared to be closest to her. The lack of a resolute "death" or "screaming" sound made her question whether or not her weapon had pierced its intended target.

"......"

"Who'd I hit?"

Spoiler

Elora Attacks with "Heft"  [x2] Heft (2 Energy) - Lift the heavy end of the spear diagonally across your opponent from the ground, cutting their torso with the tip.

ID #177021 | BD:5 + 2 ACC = 7 Hit 
Elora deals (18-5= 13) damage to Nepent Varient

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1530/1530 | EN:159/165 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:5 | Abs.ACC | LD:8 | BH:76
Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:52/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:40/40 | DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Nepent Varient | HP2/15 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10

Edited by Elora
Spoiler

image.png.1699c981e99a19c924122bedebeefcd6.png
BD: 8 + 3 = 11(Hit) 8 | 11* 1 = 11 + stun

Elora | HP:560/560 | EN:52/56 | DMG:9 | MIT:8 | ACC:2 | L.M.:2 | KEEN:1 | LD: 3
Grimm Reaper | HP:400/400 | EN:39/40 (+1, +2 REC, -4)| DMG:11 | MIT:5 | EVA:1 | ACC:3 | REC:2 | LD: 3

Nepent Variant | HP: 0/15 | MIT: 5 | DMG: 10

image.png.a9f495f82a60e301bc2515fd030f89d7.png
LD: 20(Success) Nepent Ovule found

Ozwald chuckled, it was nice to see the two companions that he had gathered to accompany him on this very early beginner quest teasing one another, it was nice to see the members of the guild getting along. "You hit it, but I think the tree behind it took more damage." Ozwald told the slime covered lady in front of him. That was one thing that Ozwald was glad about with him not having been able to hit any Nepents, he wasn't covered in any slime but that was about to change.

The Nepent that had one of its tentacles completely severed was the last one that the group of three had to face, and it was currently basically dead. Not wasting any time Ozwald launched himself at the Nepent burying his arm up to the elbow into its slimy flesh. The sensation that Ozwald was going through was not one he enjoyed, but soon after the Nepent exploded into the customary blue particles leaving Ozwald standing with a slimy arm. "I don't think I ever want to think about this quest again" Ozwald spoke aloud as he closed the window telling him he received the item they needed.

Edited by Grimm Reaper

A firm hand grasped Elora's spear and held it in place to prevent another wild and blind attack.  Ripping the cowl ferociously from around his head and neck, Freyd proceeded to use it to wipe the gunk from Elora's face.  A black, hawk-nosed mask and bandana still covered most of his features.  The man was simply an endless layer of masks, or so it seemed.

"Stand still!" 

He nearly barked the words.  Gone was any sense of mirth or friendly banter.  In fact, he seemed rather to be on the verge of outright fury.  "You're alright.  It's just goo.  You'll face worse than this in the future."  Ripping her weapon out of her hand with a swift tug, he lifted it high and drove the tip into the ground so far that it was difficult not to sense the anger behind his thrust. 

"Sit... please.  We need to have a chat about what just happened."  He helped the green-haired girl be seated, acting with gentleness that starkly contrasted his other actions, and left his cowl in her hands.  Dismissing his own weapon, a quick sideways glance at Ozwold was enough to convey his meaning, indicating that he should stand guard.

"Elora..."  Freyd's gaze fell to the ground between them as he sat on a nearby stump himself.  He lifted his mask and turned glaring red eyes to make contact with hers to lay bear the full weight of his words.  They came out slowly, measured to have the gravest of impact.  

"Do you understand what happens if you strike another green-icon player, even if it is by accident?"  He pointed above his head, then above hers.  "Your own icon will turn orange as you earn a permanent strike against you.  The system will treat you as tainted and start to turn against you.  And, if it happens too many times, your icon will stay orange... forever."  Something passed behind his eyes then, but failed to catch purchase or reveal itself upon his face.

"Please," he asked, his voice barely above a whisper as he stood, "don't ever let that happen again."  Pulling the spear back out of the ground, he held it out for her to reclaim.  Freyd was facing away from Grimm, but Elora could tell that his eyes were closed. His last words were nearly silent, so that only she could hear.

"I don't think I could bear it."

Elora's vision didn't need to be clear for her to perceive how angry Freyd's response was to her reckless attack. As she made out the details of him driving her spear into the ground, she could feel the sharp, sudden, and cold sensation of regret resonating throughout her body. It felt...numb...like her body and her mind were just -- shutting down -- succumbing to passivity as the condemnation of her choices continued. 

"Do you understand what happens if you strike another green-icon player, even if it is by accident?", began Freyd. With a dryness creeping down her throat, Elora didn't feel that she could find the words to make things right, nor the will to do more than sit frozen, with eyes fixed forward as his cowl laid limply in her open palms. I thought...we were just playing a game..., she thought as she tried to search for an explanation -- a reason, or maybe even an excuse for why she had screwed up so badly. I was wrong. This was all my fault. I shouldn't have gotten so carried away. I shouldn't be so stupid. Why am I always such a f*cking idiot?

A hurricane of hurt waged within Elora's sapphire eyes, her otherwise hardened and unmoved expression leaving little to indicate that she was receiving or processing the criticism. Suddenly rising from her seat, she approached Freyd without making the slightest effort to meet his gaze.

"Sorry.....", she murmured with a raspy voice before taking back her spear and hastily turning to head back the way their party had come. 

It would be a lie to say that Ozwald wasn't uncomfortable by the situation before him, it wasn't like the man, Freyd, didn't have a point, what Elora had done was indeed very reckless and could have gotten her labeled as a pker. Ozwald couldn't interject though, these were people that he had only just met, both of which seeming to have much more history than Ozwald had with them, which was to say bordering on none. Ozwald continued his watch of the surroundings, it wasn't like the first floor was all that dangerous, but everywhere could lead to death if you weren't being careful enough. 

Ozwald kept watch until he finally heard Freyd's chastisement end and the girl stand up from her position on the floor. Turning his head it seemed that the pair were done with their word dance and that they were ready to return to the town of beginnings to pick up their rewards for the quest. Ozwald didn't want to break the uncomfortable tension that had grown between he and the pair, and so just nodded to the both of them motioning for them to join him back towards the main settlement of the first floor.

Rubbing his head on his fist, Freyd motioned for them to head back to town.

"Come on.  It's been a good day.  Don't let me ruin it by getting all serious on you at the last moment."  He gave her a look that showed how he regretted having to say what he did, but not having said it.  For better or worse, Fred believed that these moments had to be shocking enough to be memorable or the lesson would be lost.  It wasn't one you could afford to repeatedly forget.

"Nice job on collecting the nodule, Grimm.  Those things are fairly delicate.  Good thing we brought a martial artist along - someone good with their hands."  Freyd offered a small smile, as he pulled his mask and cowl back into place.  He knew full well how hard his criticism would hit Elora.  He might as well have punched her in the gut.

'You can really be an ass, you know that?' said that tiny niggling voice at the back of his mind.  'Yeah.  I know.  And it was still the right decision.  I'd rather have her hate me for it than accidentally change her icon.  It would be a death sentence for her.'

He kept a brisk pace leading back towards the City.  

It was in situations like these that Elora really hated herself.

Whether it was because of breaking out of the house, failing a test, or simply misunderstanding a direction made no difference. She was used to her failures being met with ridicule. The ensuing argument would always start by her trying: trying to give reasons as to why she couldn't meet their expectations, trying to say she was sorry for screwing up, trying to find some way to make amends for her mistakes. It wouldn't matter. She would never be good enough. Frustrated voices would turn into screams and questions would turn into attacks. Her only way of making it end was to become numb, to drown in and to accept everything they told her that she was. 

Luckily, Freyd hadn't gotten even angrier with her, as her parents often did once it became obvious she'd shut down and chosen to disengage from the conversation. Elora could only assume that it was because he'd realized she already gotten the message through her thick skull. I can't believe I ruined the quest like this. Considering Grimm's position in all of this made her feel even worse. If this was his first impression of her, she couldn't imagine him ever wanting to speak to her again. 

As her mind churned with worry and remorse, Elora walked with shoulders slumped, her eyes looking downward as she clutched her spear close to her chest. 

Ozwald wasn't someone who was going to judge another person based off of their actions, but he thought that Freyd might have been a little too harsh to Elora. The girl that he was walking beside had seemed to almost completely shut down, and it made him sad to see someone so lively turned into someone who wouldn't talk, and would just look at the floor. Ozwald leaned closer to the girl, he wanted to try and lift her spirits, but he didn't fully know how. "You know, I thought your throw was pretty good." Ozwald whispered to the girl not knowing whether or not this was the right thing to do.

Leaning back to the side of the path that he was walking on Ozwald put his hand behind his head, seemingly very relaxed. "Thank You both for joining me." Ozwald thanked the pair, he could have easily handled the quest without them, but it was always more fun with a companion on an adventure. The trio walked all the way back to the town of beginnings in what was honestly a fairly short amount of time. 

"Well said, Ozwald."  Freyd nodded appreciatively at the warrior.  "You remind me a lot of Kiluia from the days when he and I were first starting out.  He's become a great champion and hero of the guild.  I'm sure you will too - both of you."  Freyd's eyes wandered over to Elora, who stood glumly clutching her spear and took a few steps towards her.  "I remember another young warrior who would have shut down and crumpled into a heap at the first sign of adversity.  But, this time, she lashed out and found her courage, and I've seen her face far worse.  Walk this off."  

He placed a hand gently on her shoulder.  It was the closest she might get to an apology, and stretched the limits of his will as he still struggled between two paths that lay before him.  A firm pat was given, and then the hand withdrew.

"Come on, you two, we have a hell of a lot more mischief to accomplish.  Let's get to it."

Freyd led them back to the Town of Beginnings, already cycling through the catalogue of available quests in his mind.  They were both strong, but needed to be stronger still.

Thread Summary:

Elora and Grimm Reaper (aka Ozwald) receive:

4 SP (1 page, +1 event, +2 quest)

200 col (each)

Freyd receives:

2 SP (1 page, +1 event) - quest previously completed