[PP - F1] Episode 1: Starting Line <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

Off the coattails of a personal transformation, a young man named Akira Yosano finds himself locked inside of the virtual world known as Sword Art Online where there is no escape... save for beating the game itself. Now, after an emotional breakthrough, the other part of his personality has taken over... fitting since the name of this side of himself is also the name of his avatar. This is the story of Drenz... and his journey through Aincrad, Akihiko Kaiba's dastardly digital landscape that is as real as it is game. The goal is simple... survive, climb the 100 floors and make it home.

Episode 1: Starting Line

Drenz stood there stuck in the middle... middle of everyone... middle of everything... middle of the Town of Beginnings... a mixture of fear and hope... as he swiped the air, to load his Quest menu. Clicking on Active, there layed the name and information. 

"The First Few Lessons Are Free"

"Zackariah, huh? If the guidebook one of the Beta Tester's gave me is correct... these first few quests I take on are very important," he breathed after going over the description of the quest. "It says his place should be right... over... there!" 

Drenz pushes through the crowd, finally reaching his destination: a large oak door. With a creak, it opens... revealing the Quest giver Zachariah. In a bit of trance, Drenz stood in awe of all the potions, herbs, flasks and multitude of things he couldn't make out.

In what made him feel like he was in a rush, the NPC spoke. "I don't have all day! You the guy I'm teaching the basics to or not? In Aincrad, those that dawdle... don't survive, kid."

Drenz was taken aback. "Is he a player character...? No, the guidebook says he is what is known as a Non-Player Character. There is no icon, you dummy! Don't be dense! ... but damn... he definitely feels like a real person."

He clears his throat. "Yes... I think I am, sir."

The old man chuckles. "You think or you know?" He sighs, letting down his defense a bit. "But... at least you have more respect than the other adventurers, I'll give you that, kid. So I'll stop busting ya chops so much!"

Almost turning into a different person, Zackariah exuded warmth as put his arms out stretched. "Let me be the first to welcome you to Aincrad! I know you're all from another world, but trust me... this one is pretty great too. Lots of excitement, danger and maybe a few close calls! All the more meaningful when you have a few scrapes as an old man from your youth like me!"

Ripping off his shirt, to reveal his muscles and scarred body in the light of the room, Drenz was in awe.

Running back and forth in excitement, he gawks at Zackariah's muscles. "You are so cool, old man!"

The NPC continued to flex. "Haha yes... yes I am. Now, before I forget... you're the guy right? The one I'm showing the basics to?"

And just like that, the video game brought him back to reality, so to speak as a window popped up, that he read to himself:

"Would you like to start the quest “The First Few Lessons Are Free”?"

To Drenz... it was bit of a downing moment. That no amount of laughs nor seemingly real people will change one fact... he was in a death game. And that quest window in front of his eyes was all the proof he needed of that. 

---Stats---

Drenz

LEVEL 1
HEALTH  20
ENERGY 2
DAMAGE 1

---Inventory---

» Iron Longsword (Vanty 1-Handed Sword)
- Description: "A basic 1-handed sword, used by beginners."

» Adventure's Armor (Vanity Light Armor)
- Description: "A set of mesh armor used by adventurers just starting out in Aincrad."

» (3) Starter Healing Potions

Valentine stood in the town of beginnings doing a decent past time of his. As per usual he was people watching for talent. Players that showed promise based on Zachariah's reactions. It was a subtle art that not many were capable of. Valentine would watch for a player that stood out, volunteer to go accompany them on the missions, then decide if they were guild material. Anyone capable of passing his muster would get recommended into the guild. It was not a guaranteed acceptance but it helped. The Firm was growing by the day and was always in need of talent.

Zachariah had a different reaction that caught his eye. Compared to when Val did the mission with Haine, Zachariah was acting like a different person. It was the kind of reaction that caught his eye. Valentine gave the player a once over. He looked like a new player. Valentine could not help but wonder as to what he had been through. Either one of those trapped in a coma, lost track of time, or some other type of damage.

"Hi hi! Are you looking to go on the quest as well? If you want I am free to come along." Valentine was talking to the newbie, even when he waved at the NPC. Zachariah gave him a smile as acknowledgement. As he had already finished the quest the old man did not bother him.

Spoiler

Name: Valentine

• Level: 22
  • HP: 440/440
  • EN: 44/44

Stats:

• Damage: 2
  • EVV:2
  • MIT:5

Equipped Gear:

• Trinket:<<Nocturnal Ear Cuff>> ( +3 LD/Earring)
  • Armor: <<Cloudskin>> ( +2 EV, +1 Regen/Light Armor)
  • Trinket: <<Linkshell>> ( +3 LD/Earring)

Items on hand:

Skills:

• 1 Handed Curved Sword [Rank 1]
  • Light Armor [Rank 1]
  • Energize
  • First Aid [Rank 2]

Valentine | HP:440/440 | EN: 44/44 | DMG:2 | MIT: 5 | EVA:2  | REGEN: 1

Edited by Valentine

Drenz was startled at first by Valentine, as he thought it was only him and Zackariah in his shop. The adventurer gave him a once over. "Okay... he has an actual player icon... which is good."

Smiling at Val, Drenz was definitely up for some assistance. Anything to help him get better and out of the Town of Beginnings. It was time to try and beat the game or at least try to with his own power. Different emotions swirled within him. Ranging from confidence to excitement. His previous sorrow being replaced with new hope.

Clicking accept on the quest, Drenz answered him. "Yeah! I would love the assistance! I just accepted the quest that Zackariah here was giving me, if he'd put his damn shirt on and explain what I gotta do!" Rolling his eyes over to the NPC, who bellowed with laughter.

"I like you, kid! You're gonna need that vigor in these parts! Now, to get started I'm going to need some materials. But I think with this young man's help here, you'll do great. I need you to fetch me five of these materials from outside of town. Come back to me here once you finish! And try to be quick about it, kid, eh?" Zackariah winks at Drenz, chuckling as he places his shirt back on and repositions himself.

"Yeah, yeah, old man. Haha I'll be back before you can rip your shirt off for the next guy! Sheesh," Drenz joked as he turned back to Valentine. "Well, since you've done this quest before, I hope you can steer me in the right direction. I'm still getting used to everything to be honest."

Rubbing the back of his head, Drenz laughed. "I'm Drenz, btw. It's nice to meet you!"

Valentine had no problem taking the player out. He decided he should start with a basic concept. "Sure. This portion of the quest is pretty much the easiest. Even if it is a pain to deal with." Valentine sent him a party request before initiating trade. "Try putting these on. It will actually make it a lot easier to do. Just give it back when done." Valentine opened up the menu and unequipped his earring. The earring had a factor that made finding supplies and stuff easier. Valentine was not 100% sure on how it worked. He only knew that it made his life easier.

"After you are done you can follow me out to the field. There should be a mini map in the right upper area of your vision. When you focus on it the map should grow. The yellow mark on the area is where I am heading. It is also where you should be headed in regards to a quest."

The steps for getting people used to the game was not necessary for the smart. Valentine discovered from researching that getting people through the lower levels increased their chances of becoming frontline players. It was what gave him the patience to explain things often.

Spoiler

Valentine opened up his menu and sent <Linkshell>> ( +3 LD/Earring) to Drenz to be equipped.

Drenz was definitely surprised by the unyielding help that Valentine was showing a newbie player. From his decorum to the very physical help he was willing to offer. "Not many people are like him..." Focusing on his mini map, it zoomed in and out. "Aaaand he did teach me a new trick! Haha."

Soon interrupting Drenz's thoughts, a request window popped up in front of his eyes. The first time ever seeing this question since putting on that Nerve Gear.

"Would you like to join "Valentine's party"?"

Whether someone would realize... the question held weight to Drenz. For him, this was the first real step towards leaving the Town of Beginnings, towards climbing the Tower, towards maybe... just maybe... clearing the game. He pressed the accept button, popping Valetnine's status bars underneath his own. "Whoa... his level is currently what?!" 

But before he could even come to grips with that, Valentine's reaching kindness didn't stop there. Interrupting Drenz's thoughts, "Try putting these on. It will actually make it a lot easier to do. Just give it back when done."

And with that, another first. The trade window. "Wait... he can't be serious! He doesn't even know me!" Drenz waved his hands in disapproval. "Wait, wait, wait here, my guy. You sure you wanna give me that? It looks like some pretty sweet equipment, even if I'm giving it back. Can you really just trust me that easily?" 

The irony in his line of questioning is that if the roles were reversed, Drenz would do the same without second guessing it. What is the old adage? Ah, yes... birds of a feather, flock together? Time would be the judge of that. 

Edited by Drenz

Valentine eased up at the inquiry. The level of hesitation showed a level of trustworthiness a scammer would have just taken it. "It is not a big deal. I am letting you borrow it. Even if you did take it and run I can easily get another. You would probably get blacklisted and your life would become a nightmare." Valentine walked as he spoke. The mission had a bit of a luck factor to it. If Drenz was unlucky it would still take all day.

They approached the field and the sounds of boars and yelling players could be heard. Every so often a player would fly as a boar tackled them. "Those you will have to fight as a part of the chain later. For now we just look for the herbs." He pulled one out that he spotted. "This is what you are looking for. Learn it well. I should have let you pull it out so you can be closer to finishing the quest. The basic for material searching is to know what you are looking for and where to find it. Got it?"

Edited by Valentine

Drenz's eyes scanned the field, seeing a ragtag of players fighting boars littered throughout the field. He felt a sensation in his palms that he hadn't felt since doing his writing in the real world. "What is this? This feeling? This insatiable drive to grab my sword... to rush those boars... it is the same excitement I used to get from writing but physically manifested..." 

In a bop of happiness, he followed Valentine, watching his instructions closely. "This is what you are looking for. Learn it well. I should have let you pull it out so you can be closer to finishing the quest. The basic for material searching is to know what you are looking for and where to find it. Got it?"

Drenz nodded in understanding, taking a deep breath. Equipping the earring finally, he closed his eyes, feeling the atmosphere around him. It was almost as if each sense was amplified to really appreciate the intricacies of Akihiko's world... of the world he now called home too. Reaching in the brush near by Valentine, it took the plucky hero a few moments, but he finally saw one. Pulling it out of its resting place, a notification popped up on his screen informing of his Quest update:

‘Collect five Tier 1 Materials (1/5 Collected)’

Looking up at his instructor with a big smile, Drenz was excited as he swiped the notification away. "Good start, huh? Haha."

Spoiler

---Inventory Update---

» Iron Longsword (Vanty 1-Handed Sword)
- Description: "A basic 1-handed sword, used by beginners."

» Adventure's Armor (Vanity Light Armor)
- Description: "A set of mesh armor used by adventurers just starting out in Aincrad."

» (3) Starter Healing Potions

» Linkshell ( +3 LD/Earring)

Spoiler

ID# 178104

Loot: 12 + 3 = 15 (Success) 1/5 materials gathered.

Edited by Drenz

Valentine would consider himself terrible at his job if he could not understand a low level player. The gleam in the eye and lust for battle. Battle junkies found themselves in the frontlines without issue as long as they lived long enough. "It was a nice enough job. You did well." Valentine was working using a technique informally called compliment. It was mystical as he was never raised on it. His pedigree usually had him refraining from calling people incompetent.

"Even if your eyes glisten to fight I recommend saving it. At your current ability you would be crushed like a sat on grape. The quest gives ample enough experience for you to level. After I can bring you back out here to fight. For now focus on the present task at hand. Find more herbs. Just look carefully. Besides have you invested into any skills to be combat ready?"

Valentine's words on taking up arms against Boars like the others around him on the field, was clear. He was right. This was why Akira hadn't ventured out past the Safe zone in these two years... crippling fear of real death from a virtual game. Now with Drenz taking over, he was mentally ready... but nowhere near physically. 

Chuckling a bit nervously, it was clear he hadn't even put a thought to his skills. "Haha... I honestly haven't even invested my skill points yet. I was a little... out of commission these past two years... so now is why I'm tackling things like these opening tutorial quests."

Catching a glimmer in the side of his eye, he jumped at what he thought was the same herb he had already collected. Confidently pulling it from the ground... an emotion that would cost him since the plant he grabbed wasn't the one he was looking for. "Damn..."

He dropped the wrong item back on the ground. "But don't worry. Just because my body feels ready... doesn't mean I'm going to jump in blind with the rest. This quest right now is priority."

Opening up to Val seemed easy, even if he had his stoic demeanor about him. A friendship was indeed growing, even if it was only in Drenz's eyes. The search continued...

Spoiler

ID# 178278

Loot: 5 + 3 = 8 (Unsuccessful) 1/5 materials gathered.

Valentine gave an approving nod at the player. "Not everyone could hold off on recklessly spending their skill points like that. Smart move as without knowing what you want you could waste a lot of time. It does not hurt to think about it in advanced. Have you considered what type of weapons you wish to use? They all have their pros and cons. Certain weapons are better for crowds, some use less energy, while some even apply stuns more." Valentine looked at a boar that was getting to close. A player with a two handed spear hit it drawing it away. "Take that spear user for example. Has no AoE potential and little in the way of stuns. It does have higher damage output compared to most other weapons. The time to wait before executing sword arts is standard but the energy consumption is high. It is the small notes like this that makes a difference in your experience here in Aincrad."

Watching the Lancer charge the boar again, Drenz contemplated the type of player he wanted to be... the type of warrior. "I mean... I do have the One Handed sword already since that is the Hero's sword! But is that the way here in this world? This world is about data and levels. No amount of heroics is gonna get me to the Frontlines and one step closer to saving me and Akira. I have to think about this wisely. I have to make the right choices early on if I want to be successful later on."

Touching his hand to his sword... he felt it was just a big ornament till now. And it really is. What was called a "Vanity" sword. Just looking for something cool to start with. But things now have changed... and theatrics aren't doing him any favors. "I don't really know yet. I've contemplated a little, but up until recently I wasn't of the... right mind frame... to really put much thought into it. I mean, look at me doing the beginning quests now."

He rolled his eyes in his own disgust, leading him to catch an eye of something he thought to be another herb for his Quest. Jumping at the opportunity, he ran over to it, plucking it out of the ground. This time he was on the money.

'Collect five Tier 1 Materials (2/5 Collected)’

Turning to Valentine, he smiled. "Another one bites dust haha!"

Drenz was steam rolling now, he felt. Good fortunes were raining down upon him. And hopefully, that fortune would continue to favor this bold young man.

Spoiler

ID# 178493

Loot: 14 + 3 = 17 (Success) 2/5 materials gathered.

Edited by Drenz

Valentine gave the player a thumbs up as his planting conquest. "If you want to continue with the one handed straight sword that is cool to. It is a balanced weapon. You should probably pick up a shield. You can get a knightly image." 

Valentine was going to continue on till he noticed a peculiar rock. It was a pale blue and had a familiar shape. Valentine picked it up for examination. He discovered that it was a material usable for his crafting. "I guess you are not the only one getting lucky while looking. When you take up your profession quest things like this would be greatly useful." Valentine showed the crystal off. "Well this one specifically can only be used by alchemists, performers, and chefs."

Pulling a bit of water from his canteen he took a swig before offering some. "Feel free to drink. You do not have to worry about colds and germs here."

Spoiler

178498 2 12 14 3 Valentine Msg_hover2.png Searching for Materials 2020-11-21 19:27:13

LD: 14 + 3 = 17 (Success) Material found)

Edited by Valentine

Drenz took the canister from Valentine and took a swig of water, without hesitation. He was parched and Val was the trust worthy sort. And dammed if he wasn't right... germs and things to that effect weren't a worry here in a virtual world like this one.

Passing it back, he gasped in delight. "Sometimes you just need some water haha." Looking at the gem Valentine showed off, made Drenz wonder of his own future. "He's right. I can easily get into my own crafting ability over time. These are all things I have to take into account. To survive to floor 100, I have to take advantage of every system this game has at my disposal."

Catching another glimpse of an herbal mid conversation, Drenz didn't even hesitate. He walked over and picked it from the ground. Lucky for him again... he was on the money.

'Collect five Tier 1 Materials (3/5 Collected)’

A smile soon painted the lips of the young hero. This quest was coming along well, just he had to be sure to take it all in stride. Because as easy as it may come, is as easy as it may go. "A knightly image, huh? That does sound tempting. Looking like the hero. But it goes further than looks in a dangerous world like this though, I bet?"

A death game... could it really be beaten, so they could all go home? Drenz had to cling to the hope they could, because without that hope... he would find himself in the corner again, helpless as before.

Spoiler

ID# 178541

Loot: 14 + 3 = 17 (Success) 3/5 materials gathered.

Edited by Drenz

Valentine was enjoying himself when it came to helping the new guy. He was polite, easygoing, and gave off a kind air. Valentine did not question his intelligence as he did not know enough about the man. At the current moment the opinion was erring to the more positive side.

Valentine found another colorful rock that would be of use to him. The extra stuff would be needed when he started crafting later during the day. "Sorry. I was giving an explanation. The Knight protects the others by maintaining aggro it is a bit more on the tank side. As they do not move. Their shield causes damage to whatever hits it, as their armor makes them almost impossible to kill. Their weapon allows them to mow down enemies a lot easier. As the enemies are already damaged from attacking. Generally it takes a firm mind and even firmer will to pull off. Not many can be a knight."

Spoiler

ID Battle Craft Loot MOB Character Link Purpose Time
178639 4 2 12 3 Valentine Msg_hover2.png Searching for material 2020-11-24 12:35:56

LD: 12 + 3 = 15 (Successful Material Found)

Current Mats: 2

Edited by Valentine

Drenz chuckled at the stern response Valentine gave him. He was straightforward, and to the point. But was a kind man, you can feel that off his demeanor. "Sorry about that. Haha I didn't know it was the beginning of an explanation that I clearly cut off," he smacked his forehead, "still getting used to things as you can tell."

A gleam in his left eye, made Drenz see another quest item a little ways behind Val. Springing to action, he ran over and picked up it up. And sure enough, the quest updated.

'Collect five Tier 1 Materials (4/5 Collected)’

"Alright! That's four! Only one more and we can get these materials back to Zackariah! Old man is gonna have a heart attack at how fast we collected these if we can find just one more..."

As if he were a scout, Drenz began putting his hand over his head to see far. It did nothing to help, it was just for dramatic effect. It was a world he didn't understand, but he tried his best to make the best to him right now. This was his reality now.

Spoiler

ID# 178697

Loot: 16 + 3 = 19 (Success) 4/5 materials gathered

Edited by Drenz

"You are actually pretty lucky. It normally takes the newcomers a lot longer to complete this one. The second quest is only slightly more annoying. Make sure to invite me along. I can at least keep you alive. Well first you should decide on a weapon. That way you can learn the necessary sword arts. That or invest in a good shield for you. So you can at least use that and save on your skill points more."

Valentine picked up another recording crystal while he spoke. He forgot how great the lower floors could be for finding such low leveled materials. "I can send you the details of a decent blacksmith. He gives discounts to under leveled players. Tomorrow's mission will be easier with a weapon or shield. Choose one or both in get it. If you need the materials for payment just let me know. I can loan it to you."

Spoiler

ID Battle Craft Loot MOB Character Link Purpose Time
178698 9 7 17 8 Valentine Msg_hover2.png Searching for Materials 2020-11-26 13:10:40

LD: 17 + 3 = 30 (Successful Material Found)

Current Mats: 3

Edited by Valentine