What is a Maverick?

Have you ever asked yourself this question? Well say no more!

You see, the term "Maverick" is based on the video Game Megaman X. Mavericks are those who go against the rules, and kill at their own leisure. While one may say, "But Keith, isn't that just a Player Killer?" Well to that I say no. Because Player Killer was such a vague term, it kept grouping all yellow players as bad guys, while some kill for a just cause. Thus, the term maverick was born. The nickname Maverick is given to all who kill without reason, and may have something else coming.

Then there are Maverick Hunters. Maverick Hunters are those who take up arms to find and eliminate all Mavericks. They can become orange for this job, but it is all in order to stop the killing threats. Maverick Hunters and Mavericks are always an interesting RP to read, as it always seems to be a game of Cat and Mouse. Except, it never is really clear who's the cat and who's the mouse.

Not only are Mavericks and Maverick Hunters great for topics and character development, they also provide a sense of a main plot to SAO RPG. While we may be trying to clear the floors, we have to always watch our backs for Mavericks, too.

Thanks for reading! And I hope you learned a lot! Post below if you are a Maverick, or maverick Hunter. And hit me up if you would like to try an RP like these sometime. Seeya around, and happy hunting!

@Slivurr

Allow me to adjust my glasses and say, "Well, actually..."

Well actually, there are loopholes taken in both RPG and Canon. For instance, Titan's Hand's Leader, Episode 4 of Sao, was a green player. Who used others to do her dirty work. Through manipulation and extortion of others, she killed others. Mavericks don't always have to be orange, they can be either. I do see your confusion though, as the reason I'm clarifying this is because I look through RPs and I've seen some people throw the term Maverick around like it's a friggen frisbee. But regardless, Mavericks and Player Killers are two different things.

@Keith

you forget there are players who do lead others into the field. make the enemies go agro, and leave them to die, as the monsters kill them off, this is another way for a maverick to kill someone, even if they are green, many forget that one loophole. there are others i just wanted to imply that one.

The rules here are different. Attacking another player isn't going to turn it, but if you kill anyone, even if they are orange, you turn orange here. It doesn't matter what their icon was.

This is actually untrue, if a Green Player is attacked, and kills their attacker in self defense, they should not turn orange. I suppose it really depends on which member of the GM team you notify about 'going orange'. Jace recently tried to claim Orange status, and I denied him, as he killed an enemy who had attacked him first.

For all intents and purposes, killing an orange player should NOT result in you going orange.

@Keith

you forget there are players who do lead others into the field. make the enemies go agro, and leave them to die, as the monsters kill them off, this is another way for a maverick to kill someone, even if they are green, many forget that one loophole. there are others i just wanted to imply that one.

We're not talking about <> in here, we are talking about Mavericks. I feel like I was the only one in here who though MegaMan when hearing about Maverick Hunters. It would appear that aside from Keith, that is the case.

Not anymore you ain't! I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard it in my RP with Keith :P

Having said that you have instantly won the respect of myself and Keith. -extends handshake- Good to meet another fan of the Blue Bomber! I'm making a note to get you in a chat with myself and Keith were we can fanboy about him. If you have skype I need to get you added and we can rave about him together. But enough going off topic. We can talk MegaMan in the gaming section.

Miaki, I noticed you were a megaman fan the first time I read your battle routine set phrase. Having played EVERY one of the battle network games

And thats interesting Saix, I thought i read somewhere that once you kill a player, pc, npc, green or orange, that was it you go orange. But that may have been an old decision that has been changed.

Definition of Maverick - Zelrius

Grow up, man. No more killing for you! You can only do the redemption quest once, so then your screwed. And, so, on my earning a living, I was on a quest with Finnick and Alex(both are me) and Finnicktold Alex to die, and he was orange. So, am I gonna be orange when I kill him?????asking you this cause he is orange.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting concept and I have to admit that I dig it, but now I have to pitch in with a curious fact. Perhaps, maybe it was the way it was sub in Episode 4, but Kirito explained to Cicila in one of their chats that the reason some Orange players had a Green gem was because of an illusion trick or something that made the system disguise the gem as a normal player.

That's why the Laughing Coffin was so secretive and dangerous >.> No one knew who the members of the guild were because their identities were kept secret with this little trick. That's why no one actually thought Kuradeel was a traitor inside the K. O.B guild. An even then Kirito didn't even know he was an orange player. >.>

So...I'm either confused or I missed something or the sub was wrong <.<