[F1-SP] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> The First Step

The sun was hanging high up in the sky, showing that the morning had long-since started.  Iris, or rather, Astreya, checked over her gear for what felt like the hundredth time.  Yesterday she'd had the epiphany when mourning her own losses that things here in this world wouldn't get better (that was to say, she couldn't leave,) unless the floors were completely cleared.  With that in mind, she also understood that anyone that died on the front lines was just... that.  Dead.

It was getting harder to separate reality from the digital fantasy of the game, and if it wasn't things like people having health bars and some of the wilder outfits, Astreya was fairly sure that she couldn't tell the difference, some days.  

But she had realized that unless others like her stepped up, eventually bad luck would claim everyone at the top, and then there would be no one to clear the upper floors.  So she had to step up- for everyone's sake.

Spoiler

Astreya  
Basics: Skills: Equipment:

HP: 20/20
Energy: 2/2
Damage: 4
Mitigation: 9
Thorns: 9

2H Straight Sword[Novice]

Sword Arts:
Spoiler

[x2 AoE] Blast (2 Energy +2 per target hit) - A pair of horizontal sweeping
strokes that hits multiple targets.
[x2] Straight (2 Energy) - Begins with the player bending their knees
before thrusting forward with a singular powerful strike covering
the gap between you and your opponent.

Weapon: 2H Straight Sword

Armor: Battle Dress [Mitigation][Thorns]

Items: Starter Healing Potion | 50HP | 3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there was an inherent problem with her going up to the front lines.  Well, actually there were several, but there was one in particular that was causing the crux of her issues, and that was the fact that Astreya didn't actually know much about playing the game.  Of course, there were ways to fix that, and that was one of the things that she was doing now.  

Her footsteps carried her through the Town of Beginnings as she sought out the one known as Zackariah, who was supposedly an NPC that would help her to be able to learn how to play the game.  She'd heard his name when she'd asked a few other higher level players that had come back to the town for a slight break before going back to the grind, and so now he was the one she was seeking... because until she knew how to play the game... that wouldn't do her much good.

Thankfully, it didn't take her very long to actually make it to where she wanted to go, the young woman's steps taking her through the Town of Beginnings to Zackariah's workplace.  She knew the town fairly well by now, having rarely left it for more than a few moments at a time, and so locating him wasn't all that difficult- she'd just never had a need to, before.

The rather quaint little cottage where Zackariah called home was just in front of her, and the woman hesitated only for a moment as she reached up a hand, knocking several times on the man's door.  There was a slight delay, and then she heard some footsteps coming toward the door.

A moment later, an older fellow with long, white hair answered the door, giving Astreya a kind smile as he opened his door a bit wider.  "Well then.  How might I help you?"

Despite herself, Astreya felt her voice catch in her throat for a moment before she finally managed to clear it.  "Excuse me, sir, but I've decided to take up the mantle of adventurer, and a lot of people told me to come and speak with you first and foremost."

The man nodded, waving a hand for Astreya to come inside, and the woman followed along, her gaze flickering this way and that as she did so.  The hut was rather well-furnished with books and vials and all sorts of other knick-knacks, showing that this was a rather well-read individual.  "Yes, I have devised a rather interesting relationship with the newer adventurers.  I help to teach them how to do well here, and in return, they fetch most of my ingredients so I needn't go outside the city walls often," the man spoke, laughing softly.  "And thus I imagine you are willing to learn the basics?"

The man's words were straight to the point, and for that, Astreya couldn't help but to be appreciative.  She remembered having played some games back with her younger brother some years ago and having to mindlessly hit the button for all of the text to stop coming across the screen so she could actually play the game.  He had liked those sorts, but she never did.  Now, she kind of wished she had paid more attention.

"Yes sir.  I know it's been... a little while since we've been here, but I still want to learn."  She knew that the NPCs too were aware of the passage of time, which was likely instilled by the game's creator.  But it still felt odd having to reference that to NPCs.  They were more alive and lifelike than some of the people she knew around these parts, even.  And that just made it worse!

"All seekers of knowledge shall be rewarded, child.  Have you no fear about such," the kindly old man spoke, and Astreya couldn't help but to think of him as a grandfather, of a sort.  He definitely seemed the type.  "The first task I have for you is fairly easy.  Just beyond the gates are many of the herbs that I use for the use of the potions I create.  Here," he spoke, handing her what looked like a picture from a book, as well as a small bag.  "You may use this to locate what you need, and then fill the bag up with the herbs.  Once you've done so, you will return here and I will provide you with your next task."

The man's words were, once more, straight  to the point, and Astreya paused a moment, as if curious if she should ask further, before swallowing her words, nodding.  "Okay, I got it," spoke quietly.

The man nodded then, and Astreya responded with a small nod of her own.  "I'll be back as soon as I can!" she called, turning and stepping forth from the room as she found herself back out on the busy streets of the Town of Beginnings.  Thankfully, a lot of the people who had been here had moved on, which left mostly NPCs moving to and from their various routines.  She frowned as she looked down at the paper she'd been given, along with the small bag.  She supposed it might not be hard to fill this up.

She was a little concerned about monsters, but she had managed to procure enough protective gear that she didn't think that it would be of any danger to her, especially not on this floor.  She might run into more aggressive and dangerous enemies on the higher floors, though, and so she would need to be prepared.

Picking her way across town, it wasn't long before the young woman arrived at the gates.  The sun had reached its zenith in the time she'd been running around, and she hoped that it would last long enough for her to find what she needed to complete this task for Zackariah.  She wasn't necessarily scared of going out after dark (well, that was a lie, she was totally scared) but she wanted to be sure she could actually complete the given task and be able to find all the herbs that were needed.

The guards at the gate merely nodded to her- she was ready for battle, after all, and there was no reason for them to stop her from going out into the dangerous areas.  She had hoped they might say something, but instead they allowed her to walk right past, and soon she was standing out in the wide fields outside of the Town of Beginnings.

The woman frowned as she looked around, not entirely sure what she was looking for at first.  She knew she had the description of the herbs, and so she pulled the paper out again, before she looking down at it for several moments.  Concern covered her features as she sudden looked up and around, realizing that she hadn't been paying attention to whether or not there were any monsters nearby that could attack her... but so far it seemed that it was just her.

"Whew..." she spoke quietly, before she looked down at the paper once more... realizing that she was nearly right on top of one of them.  With a look of excitement, she bit her lower lip and leaned down, carefully digging up the herb by the root and then placed it in her little knapsack that she had been given by Zackariah.  All right.  Time to find four more!

ID# 185830 results:  Loot: 11 (Quest 11-20, success, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
Roll

She should have known that with the first one being so easy that the following ones would have been more of a pain in the neck.  She frowned as she looked at the paper again, Astreya kneeling down toward one of the other herbs and poking it a few times, as if that might somehow magically make it transform into one of the ones that she needed to help out Zackariah.  Instead, it simply swayed slightly as she did so and the girl stood again, frowning.

"Maybe if I check a bit more off the path?" she asked aloud, mostly just concerned that if she got too far from the road that she would run into a monster of some kind.  She was still quite terrified of fighting and dying, but she knew that it would have to happen eventually.  "C'mon Ris.  Let's not be a coward," she spoke to herself, taking her first step off the beaten path.

ID# 185831 results:  Loot: 5 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
roll

She found herself hesitating on the edge of the road, looking out into the grasses that lay just beyond.  They were way out further than this when Zack had died, but all the same, just going out onto the grass sent all sorts of anxiety and paranoia through the girl's heart and chest.  She lifted a hand to her heart as it hammered in her chest, keeping her from actually taking the step that would put her out into the great wilderness.

And of course, by great wilderness, she more meant just the fact that it was a grassy area and not the beaten path that was mostly safe from monster attacks.  She looked around once more, trying to make sure that all was safe... and so far, it seemed to be.  She swallowed, forcing herself to take a single step forward, letting both feet rest on the grass.  First steps indeed.

ID# 185832 results:  Loot: 4 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
Dice Roll

The grass beneath her feet felt alien, as if there was something wrong with the very earth that she stood upon.  She swallowed slowly, moving to take another step, and then another, forcing herself to keep moving.  Honestly, she wasn't even paying much attention to the herbs beneath her feet as she walked onward, too focused on herself at the moment, wanting to ensure that she was making it as far as she could out into the field.

"You're not a coward, Ris.  Astreya.  Whoever you are," she spoke aloud, just talking to herself in order to ensure that she didn't suddenly panic and run back to the town without completing this quest.  Her gaze snapped up and looked around again, like a gazelle on the lookout for a lion.  "Okay.  No monsters.  Come on.  Get your head in the game.  You can't be expected to help on the front lines acting like this," she admonished herself.

ID# 185833 results:  Loot: 5 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
dice roll

The pep talk was more helpful than she'd have liked to admit in getting herself focused on the task at hand.  Granted, that didn't mean she was having any more luck with it, but she at least was able to walk around a bit without acting like she was on the verge of being savagely mauled to death at any moment, and that was good enough for her as a start.  She knelt down in the grass, moving her hands through the blades as she just felt them for a brief moment.

She knew that this world was all fake and all virtual but that didn't stop her from marveling, even now, at how real everything felt.  Of course, she realized as she had her hand in the grass, that wasn't really helping her to find these herbs and so with a resigned sigh, she stood up slowly as she dusted herself off.  Time to continue the hunt.

ID# 185834 results:  Loot: 2 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
dice roll

"There it is!" the girl called as she moved forward, having spotted one of the herbs growing amidst a small field of flowers.  Her footsteps carried her closer to it before she paused slightly as she approached, the wide smile on her face steadily beginning to fall.  "That totally isn't even it, Ris.  Come on," she spoke, admonishing herself once more as she came to squat down near the herb that had been blooming.

It was similar to what she was looking for, but not quite the same.  The leaves were different, and it had a shorter stem than the one she was supposed to be looking for.  With a frown, she poked it with her finger, her lips pushed out in a small frown.  "You're a mean plant, tricking me like that," she sighed out, before standing back up to her full height.  "C'mon, there's gotta be another one around here somewhere."

ID# 185836 results:  Loot: 9 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
dice roll

Despite the fact that there should have been more around where she was at, the young woman was still not having any luck.  She had almost found another one, but it too was a decoy.  Another one of the same plant that she had seen before which had just looked similar and little else.  She just wished that she had some better luck in finding them- she just didn't really know what she could do differently.

She paused, glancing over her shoulder.  She'd kept the road and the gates within sight the entire time, not wanting to get so far away that she would panic over getting back.  But so far, she hadn't had any luck where she was.  Then again, she had found her first one near the road.  Maybe she should just stick closer to the road itself?  That might have actually been the best option... this was a newbie quest, right?

ID# 185837 results:  Loot: 8 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
die roll

Astreya made her way back toward the road, figuring that since that was where she had found the first one, that she'd have a better chance of finding some of the other ones.  Of course, it wasn't as if she were going to get through this without a scratch... although she had mostly expected to have been jumped by a monster or something by now.  Instead, her foot caught on a root that was pulled up from the ground.

She felt her sense of balance tipping before she crashed to the ground, the girl giving a small sound of annoyance as she did so.  "At least I didn't take any damage from that.  That would just be the worst thing," the girl muttered under her breath as she picked herself back up, glancing around once she was standing to make sure no one had seen, before she dusted herself off.  "Now, where was I?"

ID# 185838 results:  Loot: 3 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
die roll

She sighed as she reached the road and as she came back onto it, the woman realized that not only were there none of the herb in the immediate vicinity, there were also no plants at all. "Uuuugh," the girl spoke as she glanced back toward the sky.  Thankfully the sun hadn't moved that far and she still had plenty of time to find them, but she really didn't think it should be this hard.  

She had a bone to pick with Zakariah when she got back, but until then, she figured she would need to keep searching for the herbs.  If nothing else, this was building up her confidence to get up and around and away from the town.  It wasn't really as bad as she had thought, and now that she was able to get out and about a bit more, she figured she could travel even further from the town... if she dared.

ID# 185839 results:  Loot: 2 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
dice roll

Astreya took a step further away from the town, before pausing and glancing back over her shoulder.  She... didn't really want to get that far away from the town.  She hesitated for a moment, glancing back down the road, before she could feel the anxiety welling up in her chest.  Unable to really keep herself steady, she took a step backwards, frowning slightly.  "Maybe... I'll just stick closer to the town for now.  This is a beginner quest, right?  It can't take me that far away."

She moved to step back toward the town, and then on a whim began to look on the other side of the road, opposite of the way she'd been exploring earlier.  "Maybe I can just... walk around the side of the city wall here.  That way I can travel a little further, and I'll always keep the town right in sight," she reasoned out loud.

ID# 185840 results:  Loot: 3 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
dice roll

The path around the edge of the town wasn't particularly heavily traveled, but she did note that there were a few different paths that led this way and that around it.  She cocked her head to the side slightly as she paused, looking at a particular trail that seemed to go off further away from the edge of the town.  She glanced back at the wall, unsure if she wanted to push on and check that out... but for now, she decided against it.

Still, she would keep a mental note on where it was, just in case it led somewhere that she might want to check in the future.  Her gaze lingered on it for a moment longer, before she shook her head and continued her own path, heading around the edge of the Town of Beginnings, still looking at the paper that Zakariah had given her.  Surely there were some herbs somewhere.

ID# 185841 results:  Loot: 9 (Quest 11-20, fail, 1/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
die roll

"Ah ha!" she called out as she laid eyes on the herb.  It was a short distance away, but still close enough to the town wall that she didn't think it would be too dangerous to go that far away from it.  Plus, beyond that, there wasn't any monsters in sight yet, which was honestly starting to make her worry more than seeing a bunch of monsters.  She had no idea where they all might be.  

But all the same, she figured she would just count her blessings.  Sure, she wasn't having the best of luck finding these herbs, but she also didn't run into any enemies, either, so that was a good thing, right?  

She thought so, and knelt down by the herb, once more digging it up by the roots and placing the whole of it in the little bag she had from Zakariah.  "All right.  Two down, three to go."

ID# 185843 results:  Loot: 11 (Quest 11-20, Success, 2/5 gathered)

Edited by Astreya
Die roll