[F04-SP] <<Training Your Friend>> Why Do You Keep Doing It Wrong?

The blistering cold nature of the Fourth Floor actually came as a rather welcome sort of relief to Astreya, who'd been spending most of her time on the Third and Ninth floors tracking down her current familiar, a Frost Vulture.  Or at least, that's what she called it- it was still basically just a Pyre Vulture, but from what she could tell, it stored the heat on the inside of it instead of pushing it all out, which made the air around it relatively cool.

But here on the fourth floor, the vulture seemed to be quite fond of the cooler temperatures and began to float around Astreya, giving small chrips now and then, which Astreya decided was a very un-vulture-like noise, but she didn't have any proof to that.  "Yeah, yeah.  You'll get your cake after I teach you how to fight a bit.  I've seen some of the stuff the other familiars do, so c'mon," she spoke, gesturing the creature onward.

Spoiler

--Level 18
--HP: 390
--NRG: 54

--Base Damage: 9
--Mitigation: 62
--Regeneration: 2% (Currently 6)
--Accuracy: 3
--Thorns: 18
--Taunt: 1
--Prosperity: 1

Skills:
Battle Healing: Journeyman
Fighting Spirit
Howl
|-> Focused Howl

2H Straight Sword: Expert

Heavy Armor: Grand Master
|-> Impetus
|-> Iron Skin

Concentration

Gear:
»Silver Frost [2H Straight Sword] | Rare T2
[Damage] - Gain +2 base damage per slot.
[Accuracy] - Add 1 onto your BD rolls (Cannot cause crits)

»Battle Dress | Rare T2 Heavy Armor
[Mitigation] - Prevent 12 damage from successful attacks against you.
[Thorns] - Successful non-critical attacks against you deal 18 unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks.

»Hoya of the West | Perfect T1 Trinket
[Accuracy II] - Add 2 onto your BD rolls (Cannot cause crits)
[Prosperity] - 
Gain +1 to the base multiplier when receiving col from killing an enemy.

»Spotlight | Rare T2 Trinket
[Taunt] - Adds 1 Hate generated from successful attacks, Howl and Furious Howl.
[Recovery] - Regain 2 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 7+. 

Consumables:
»Starter Healer Potions | Heals 50 HP
[3 Total]
»Tier One Damage Potion of Uncommon quality. (+1 Damage)
[1 Total]
»Tier One Health Potions of Rare quality. (+10% HP)
[3 Total]
»Tier One Immolation Potion (+10 Thorns Damage)
[1 Total]
»Fixer Upper (Salve) | Antidote I
[1 Total]

Gathering Check:
ID: #190496
CD: 12 (Bonus!)
LD: 16 (Success!  +2 Material!  +5 Gatherer XP)

The creature fluttered along beside Astreya for a bit as the pair made their way out beyond the town's proper and into a more remote location, and Astreya turned to look at the creature as Frosty settled in on Astreya's left shoulder.  "Hey, no way, you.  You're not just gonna sit and chill there, no pun intended.  If we're going to be a team then you need to help me fight stuff," the girl spoke, frowning as she looked at the creature that sat on her shoulder, shooing it off her shoulder slightly as the creature fluttered up and away.

It squawked at her once before darting off through the air, and Astreya blinked, not entirely sure where Frosty was going, but she began to follow along behind, when the bird came soaring back, carrying some sort of gem in her talons.  "Wha-" Astreya asked, when the '+2 Material' tag popped up.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190497
CD: 12 (Bonus!)
LD: 19 (Success!  +2 Material!  +5 Gatherer XP)

"What is this?  Where did you find this?" the girl asked, and Frosty merely gave a crowing little sound in response to her.  Astreya blinked, frowning as the materials were then added to her inventory.  "Okay.  So, like, that was cool and all that you found that, but we're out here to do some combat training, so you can like, get used to actually fighting at my side and all, y'know?  If I'm going to be on the front lines then I'm going to need you to help support me.  So what do you say we actually learn how to fight a bit.  Hey!" Astreya called out as the bird suddenly took off again.

"Frosty can you get back here?  We're trying to do this thing and you keep flying off and- oh.  You found another one," Astreya sighed, extending her hand and taking the other gem from her familiar.  The '2 Materials' pop up occurred again and she sighed.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: 190498
LD: 13 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

"Thank you, Frosty, for the gift.  I'll treasure it, like, forever.  But can you focus so we can actually learn about fighting?  If you keep flying off then we're not going to get anywhere," the young woman spoke in a huff, and in response, the bird merely crowed at her again, and she shook her head.  "Okay.  Are you ready to learn?  Can we do this?" she asked, and the creature crowed at her once more, and so Astreya sighed.

"Okay.  So here's what I'm figuring, since you're a bird and have a lot more maneuverability.  You don't have to get right up in their face or anything, but if you can kinda fly around them and keep them distracted, then I'll be able to better land a hit in on them with my word, see?" she spoke, swinging her blade forward.  As soon as she did, Frosty gave a small squawk before taking off once more into the distance.  "Frostyyyyy!"

Edited by Astreya

Training Check:  DC: 7
ID: #190499
CD: 7 (Success!  1/3 Trained!)

Astreya frowned as Frosty just took off back into the sky once more.  Astreya didn't know if they were going to get a chance at all to actually even practice any sort of combat training or if the little bird's short attention span was going to keep it from actually learning anything.  All the same, she had to admit that Frosty's keen eye for materials was helpful, but she didn't really think-

The girl paused, cocking her head slightly to the side as she saw Frosty coming back now, holding something significantly larger in her talons.  "Okay, what in the heck did you find now?" Astreya asked aloud as she looked on at the bird, and realized that she was looking at the creature holding onto a rather old-looking helmet.  "Where... what?  Where did you find this?" she demanded, before sighing as she rubbed at her forehead.  "Okay, no more finding things.  We need to teach you how to fight in combat."

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190500
LD: 11 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

The bird gave a small caw in response to Astreya's words, and whether or not the two could understand each other was unlikely, but all the same it painted a humorous picture as they watched the other warily for a long moment, before Frosty cawed again, looking away.

"C'mon, it's not gonna be that bad.  We won't even fight anything that dangerous.  That's why I brought you here because I figured if you've got fire all up inside you and you'd be able to do some real damage to these ice monsters," the girl spoke, as if pleading with the bird was going to change anything.  However, before she could continue to try and do so any further, a low, resonant growl emanated from nearby.

Astreya turned to see a wolf, white as the snow around them, growling as it looked from Astreya, to the bird, and then back again, before another low growl emanated outward as the beast moved forward.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190501
LD: 12 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

"Okay!  So here we go!  Just like we talked about!  If you want to dive in and get all sorts of in his face, I can- hey!  Frosty!" the girl called, as the bird gave a small caw in seeing the wolf coming forward toward them, and jumped off the girl's shoulder, flapping its wings furiously as the Frost Vulture went skyward, trying to get away from the combat.  Astreya frowned, turning to face the wolf again as it approached, growling.

She adjusted her grip on her blade, and she shifted forward, coming toward the creature as well, not at all hesitating.  She knew that it wasn't going to be as bad as the rock golems and pyre vultures that she'd been dealing with on the Ninth Floor, but all the same, she couldn't help but to feel a little trepidation in entering into combat with this creature.  With Frosty ditching her, it was just her alone against the wolf.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: 190502
LD: 11 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

The wolf lunged forward toward Astreya, the winter wolf's jaws snapping at her, and Astreya shifted back slightly.  She didn't want to get intimidated by the creature's aggression, and so she merely just used her movement to reposition herself.  "All right!  Let's go!" she called out as the creature came forward, attempting to bite through her armor.  Thankfully, her Mitigation was high enough that the wolf barely did any damage at all to her, and she came forward, swinging the two handed-blade down toward the wolf.

The weapon bit into its hide, and the creature gave a loud yelp of pain as it danced back away from Astreya, as if it were not suddenly unsure if the young woman was easy prey.  "You wanna keep going, fuzzy?  I'll totally show you why I'm not gonna be scared of you.  Unlike a very cowardly bird that I am going to probably turn into dinner later!" Astreya called out, narrowing her eyes.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: 190503
LD: 11 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

With the wolf already damaged, it seemed like it was going to be a little more cautious as it padded around her, looking around the young woman as if it were trying to find out if there was something else that was coming into coming in to attack it.  But when it didn't see anything else, no pack to support the woman, it grew emboldened as a low growling sound came up from within its throat, before it took a step forward, leaping up at her once more.

Astreya grunted, her blade whirling as it began to glow, and she spun, slamming the blade into the attacking wolf, causing it to yelp once more before she slung the creature to the ground.  The force of it caused the wolf to actually bounce twice as it hit the ground before it finally came to a stop, and then exploded into a bunch of data, showing that it had been defeated.  

Edited by Astreya

Actual Training Check: (DC: 7)
ID: #190509
CD: 12 (Success!  2/3 Trained!)

Astreya exhaled slowly as she pulled her weapon back, before looking around for Frosty, and, not seeing the bird, she sighed, before she flipped the weapon around and replaced it on the holster.  "Frosty!  Where are you?" the woman called out, looking around before grumbling to herself.  She didn't really know if this was the best way to teach the bird.  At this point, Frosty seemed way too scared of any sort of actual combat right now, so getting into an actual combat probably wasn't the best way.

However, she heard the flapping of wings and glanced over, seeing Frosty approaching... this time she was bringing something else clutched in her talons.  The woman's frown faded slightly as she saw the fact that the large bird was bringing what looked like a sword.  It was pretty beaten up and wasn't really going to be useful in any way, but the woman still at least could understand what the bird was trying to do- apologize.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190510
LD: 11 
(Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

"Okay, look," Astreya spoke as she took the sword from Frosty, setting it on the ground near the broken helmet that the bird had delivered just a few moments ago.  "I get that you don't really want to go into combat.  I don't either, if I can help it.  But if me and everyone else are going to get out of this game, then we have to fight.  That's just how it is and I don't think that you can understand a word I'm saying," the armored girl spoke, frowning as she looked at the bird.

Frosty gave a small clicking chirp in response, before cawing loudly, and Astreya sighed, lifting a hand up to her face.  "Okay, okay.  So let's maybe just try with like... maybe just a basic combat between me and y-" She blinked as the bird seemed to catch sight of something and pushed off of Astreya's shoulder, fluttering away.  "...And there she goes again," Astreya sighed.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190515
CD: 6 (No Bonus)
LD: 19 (Success!  +1 Material!  +3 Gatherer Exp!)

She didn't think that the bird was actually scared of the idea of fighting, right?  It was a monster, after all.  That was kind of what monsters did, was to fight.  But it seemed like any time that Astreya brought up the idea of fighting, the bird would find some excuse to take off somewhere and then bring her a gift as if to say 'sorry boss, not my thing.'

And true to that, the creature fluttered back over, and as it did so, it held something in its talons.  This wasn't nearly as fancy of a rock as it had been giving before, but it seemed like it was valuable in some way as the creature gave a caw, dropping the rock down into Astreya's hands.  The pop up for '1 material' came and left, and the young woman frowned slightly as she rubbed at her face, thankful that the mailed fists she had on didn't actually hurt.  This was getting ridiculous.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190516
LD: 3 (
Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP)

Astreya took in a deep breath, before letting out a long, low sigh, and then took a second breath, following with another exhale to try and keep herself calm.  "Okay.  Frosty.  Listen," she spoke, the creature currently perched back on her left shoulder.  The bird gave a small little chirp as if to indicate that she was actually listening to Astreya this time.  "There's no other fancy things out there for you to get, okay?  It's just you and me here and I need to make sure you're on board with this."

The creature cawed loudly then in Astreya's ear, and the woman frowned, but continued.  "So look.  You and I need to be a team in combat, okay?  We- Frosty are you being for real right now?" Astreya asked as the bird lifted up and off her shoulder again, and the young woman's jaw clenched as a quiet scream began to emit between her teeth.  Why was this so infuriating!?

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190517
CD: 5 (No Bonus)
LD: 15 (Success!  1 Material! +3 Gathering XP!)

Okay, so maybe she was coming at this the wrong way.  Maybe when it came to the ideas of 'combat' and 'battle' and all of that, Frosty was understanding those words as to go and find something.  Why the bird was doing that, Astreya had no idea, but she still had to admit the timing was eerily uncanny.  Granted, Frosty had also just taken off when Astreya had been attacked by the Wolf, which could also mean that her new familiar was just a coward.

Which, honestly, wasn't all that unexpected.  The Frost Vulture had been protected by the rest of her flock when she was on the Ninth Floor, all of the other Pyre Vultures surrounding her had been hassling Astreya almost the entire time.  She almost missed Frosty coming back, the creature giving a cawing sound as it dropped another item which earned Astreya another Material.  She frowned as she looked down at it, before looking to the bird as it cawed again.

Edited by Astreya

Training Check (DC 7): 
ID: #190518
CD: 6 (Failure!  DC reduced by 2)    

"Okay, so you and I need to have a heart to heart here, Frosty," she spoke, and the woman pulled her blade off of her holster, holding it in front of her.  She flipped it point-side down and thrust it downward.  She knew that the surface layer was usually fine- but anything lower than that would give that 'immortal object' pop up that she had gotten really used to seeing back on the Ninth Floor.  She gestured to the pommel.  "Okay.  Have a seat," she spoke, and the bird shifted, hopping from her shoulder to the sword.

"Okay.  Listen.  I'm kinda getting the vibe here that, like, you're not totally up and cool with this whole combat thing, yeah?" The girl's words floated in the air and the bird merely leaned back, preening some of its feathers in response.  Astreya frowned as she looked on at the Frost Vulture, her expression steadily falling to annoyance once more.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190782
LD: 10 (Failure!  1 Gatherer XP gained)

Astreya leaned back away from the Frost Vulture.  They were just starting together and it was likely that they were going to have a few issues- but this was ridiculous.  How was she able to get the creature to help her out in combat?  If she could just get the familiar to work alongside her, they could probably do some really wild things- but the chances of that didn't seem to be too likely, given how difficult of a time she was having in training the bird.

"Okay, look.  I need you to work with me.  Hey- no flying off.  Look," Astreya spoke, putting her hands on her hips as she stared back at the bird who gave a loud 'caw' right in her face.  "We need to be a team, and teammates work together, you know?  So we can go and look for another one of those wolves, and this time you can... fly off.  Again."

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190783
CD: 12 (Bonus!)
LD: 16 (Success!  2 Materials! +5 Gatherer XP!)

Astreya watched the bird fly up and off, heading out into the distance before fluttering a few times, before she suddenly dived downward toward something.  The young woman looked on with uncertainty and confusion- this was not what she'd expected when she found this super rare monster that was in the Ninth Plane.  The Gypsy woman had stated that this was the one to be partnered with her and would be the best fit.  So far, Astreya was finding that Frosty was most certainly not working well with her.

She glanced up as the creature came fluttering back, and she noticed that the thing the bird had in its talons was one of the rarer materials that she'd found at the outset.  "Yeah, okay.  Drop it.  Let's have it," she spoke, opening her palm and the bird deposited the item into Astreya's hand, earning the '2 materials' pop up for the rarer item.

But before Astreya could even speak, the bird turned and left once more.

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190784
CD: 2 (No bonus)
LD: 17 (Success!  1 Material! +3 Gatherere XP!)

Maybe this is what the bird was trying to tell her?  That it wasn't going to be able to really do much with the combat end of things, but she could find things really well?  That was a possibility, the young woman supposed.  She didn't really like the idea that this familiar she found wasn't going to help her in combat at all, but she also realized that there was a good chance that there wasn't much that she could really do about it, either.  It wasn't like she could force the bird to do something that it wasn't really equipped to do.

"It's just lame that you're so cool, no pun intended, and all you're good for is flying around and finding things," Astreya spoke as she extended her hand, letting the creature drop the material that she'd picked up into her hand then.  So that was yet another Material.  "That's pretty lame, you know."

Edited by Astreya

Gathering Check:
ID: #190785
LD: 11 (Failure!  +1 Gatherer XP!)

Despite having the perch on her blade still there, Frosty had settled back in on Astreya's left shoulder, which was where the bird seemed to like to sit.  Astreya frowned, but said nothing as she began to make her way forward, yanking her weapon up from the ground as she walked forward, causing the bird to ruffle slightly as Astreya put the weapon back into her holster.  She was trying to decide what to do with the bird.  If she'd give one more go at trying to train her for combat, or just let her do her own thing.  

The young woman paused, reaching up a hand to the Frost Vulture, and stroking the creature along its throat and to the top of its head.  She was still rather attached to the creature... but she supposed the main point of this was to help and have an ally in combat.  So even if it probably wasn't going to work, Astreya had to give it at least one more try.

Edited by Astreya

Actual Training Check (DC: 5)
ID: #190786
CD: 3 (Failure!  DC reduced to 3!)

"Okay.  Frosty.  It hasn't worked out literally any other time that I've talked about it, but I really need to see if I can get you to help me in a fight, okay?" the woman asked, and as expected, the bird started to look a little antsy.  It shifted its weight a bit, looking as if it was going to just up and fly away at any moment.  "I'm not saying like every single fight, or dangerous fights, just, like, sometimes, y'know?  Because I'm feeding you cake and and other things that you seem to really like- all I'm asking for is for a favor in return," Astreya explained.

The bird didn't fly away immediately, and for that, Astreya figured that they were about to make some progress, when a pair of growls from the wintry forest reached them, and the young woman saw a pair of wolves, this time, either related to the solo one she'd taken before or new... she wasn't sure.

Edited by Astreya