[PP-F01] Lucky's First Lesson

Wow... that question... really made her pause. She didn't quite understand it all the way through, why people were so scarce to tell and talk about their real lives. She was very quick to understand that it hurt to think about- think about being trapped d and not seeing them for so long. Thinking about whether or not the people outside were hurting too, still waiting for them. And that generally, people liked anonymity online. But she missed it so much, being able to share stories, feel normal for a little bit. When the game first started, day one she gushed about her dad, and a month or so later when she had friends in her first party, she talked to them about life too. Now, it's like the other world didn't exist. Maybe that's why... she stopped waiting around. 

"Don't worry bout it! I clearly wasn't paying enough attention either if I let you fool me!" She chuckles with a tease, turning towards him. "But uh, yeah! Well - I was born there, and I was raised there until I was about five, maybe six? Then my family moved to Japan. I visited the states and spent all my breaks there until I was 10 or so, it was kind of a split-time thing... But since then I've pretty much just been living in Japan."

Chase nodded along, quietly listening to her. Bar the few people he'd met here that were either actually Japanese and didn't know English so well, or just obsessed with Japanese, he hadn't ever heard about it in any detail, so it was interesting. Then again, he wasn't going there any time soon, so it wasn't making a big difference to him. "Ah... Mine's more boring. I've lived in the states since forever, and... Yeah. I've this one friend since being a kid, Lily, and she's very kind. She kept me company throughout the years because I suck at socializing. She doesn't, but she isn't very compatible with others most of the time."

Chase DBP Silent.pngWith a quick glance to the side, he remembered a few brief moments with Lucy and her voice, before turning back at Lucky with a somewhat more refreshed and relaxed look on his face. "So, what's Japan like? If you wanna share. Sorry if I'm pressing much. I've never uh... asked? About someone's country before in real life. And I've been stuck in the states for my whole life, so it feels weird. Do they have that... Tabanata..? Tabanata. That event? It's like a festival, with kimownos and the potted bamboo trees? We had one here too, so I'm guessing it's Japanese..?"

Lucky wondered about Lily, who she was, what she looked like. How those two had met, and how they felt about each other.  If she missed i=him. And then she wondered how long it had been since she'd been even relatively curious about another person- both Chase, and this Lily. Talking... it felt good. It felt right.  "You sound pretty close" She notes lightly, indicating her curiosity for more, but leaving it open for him.

"I think you mean Tanabata. It's a pretty holiday, isn't it? It's about two lovers, reuniting in the sky for only one day a year..... When I was little, I had seen the fourth of July and country fairs and all that.. but I never saw a cultural celebration so wonderful until I came to Japan. I sometimes try and stay out of it, it doesn't belong to me so it's wrong to take it for myself. But when I get invited to celebrate, with friends or even by this game, it's always special." Her cheeks blushed and she glances away for a moment. "For a long time, I always wished for good friends or true love. But I think the last time I celebrated in real life, I had wish to go on a great adventure. Now this time, I just wished to go home." She looks back at him, a little meek but happy, her eyes shiny with lingering emotion of something she didn't know, but it felt like water.

"If I live till the next time it comes around... maybe I'll wish for friends again."

There wasn't anything more fitting he could do but stay silent. He looked at her quietly, as if agreeing and looking up at the clear, dusky sky. "...", silence took over the scene and he just let out a sigh, looking back down at her. Normally he'd feel cynical and make fun of the whole sappiness, but it was clear she was serious. He could resonate to an extent with her, and there wasn't much he could say other than 'me too.'. But he really didn't feel like standing around, wishing for things to happen. He'd rather go and cause everything to fall in place for himself.

Chase DBP Happy.png"I wished for Lily to be safe. And my partner at the time that was helping me through the game to stay safe too. It's not that you just wish for it and wait for it to happen though. You gotta try as well.", he tried to cheer her up in case she was getting teary-eyed due to being too sad or feeling lonely, putting his hands on his knees as if to get back up and get the show back on the road. "You know... You can have a pet to keep you company. They're called familiars.", he thought it might cheer her up and just gently sent the idea her way. Maybe it would be a good cure for whenever he or anybody else she met and befriended couldn't be around. "I've a pangolin I found on the 4th floor with scales made out of ice. He's called Blizz, but I left him at home today. Didn't expect to take a while down here."

She nods, understanding his notion well. She didn't want to wait around anymore, but sometimes life and everything in it just felt like no matter how hard she tried, it was just simply something that happened to her. "Yeah... Maybe why I'm prone to wishing is the cause of the way I think of relationships." She shrugs, following his lead to standing back up. "I can give my best and be open over and over again, but I can't really chase people and beg them to be my friends either. I always think of hopes and goals to be something you make happen, but relationships are if it'll be, it will be. That's at least the nice way of it, I think... Maybe it's an excuse" 

She shrugs yet again and begins to look for the last material needed for this quest. Man, she had kept him out quite a bit, hadn't she. "Oopsy- didn't mean to keep the poor guy all alone. Maybe when I get familiar, they can play." She suggests, smiling now again like the last bit hadn't quite happened. Maybe her search was a little half hearted.

ID 199085 | LD 3| Material Search | fail (4/5)

Edited by Lucky Charms

Chase shook his head at her, laughing awkwardly as he rubbed the back of his neck. "W-Well, don't worry about it. I'm not a very good pet owner, so I've kinda... kept him at home for a large part since picking him up. I'm horrible at watching out for the little guy and I don't want him getting hurt. So most of the time when I'm home I'm with him, and when I go run errands he's waiting for me. I do bring him out when others have familiars too, but... I don't want him getting hurt, so~..."

Chase DBP Awkward Silent.pngIn his mind, all he was doing was admitting to having neglected his (thankfully virtual) pet. If he needed constant management and caretaking, he'd have done in the poor little critter by now. Sometimes, he'd gone on trips with others that laste a day or two, a fair while just to go out there and finish a quest or so. "I've used excuses here and there. They're there and at the same time they aren't, don't overthink it.", the bluehead tried to advise her, laughing and just finishing it off with a small sigh. He noticed how quick she was to switch up attitudes, but it wasn't like she suddenly soured in on him. He understood the need to just act like nothing was wrong. It was a personality thing, but so be it, right? "Check over there. I think I see something.", he tried to put her mind back on the right track, pointing slightly further to the side near a patch of taller grass.

"I'm sure he doesn't mind too much. He probably thinks he's got it made, safe and sound and fed." Lucky nods. It would be quite bad if the poor little guy got himself hurt... If she got a familiar, maybe she should be on the lookout for something that was sturdy or could save itself and get out the way fast. What kind of creatures would be like that? Surely there must be plenty in this crazy world they were stuck in.  They would be here quite a while so, it wouldn't be any harm in taking her time selecting the right one. She would want one for the company after all, so it better be one that can handle being out for the most part.  

Chase circles back around to their previous conversation, but luckily she doesn't feel as trapped by it now that there was a little break around it... And she supposed it help he had his own admissions. not the lone guilty party anymore.  "I'll try not to" She assures with a smile, then stepping into the tall grass.

ID 199086 |LD 10| Material Search | fail (4/5)

"Uuuhhh left for right?" she ask, not quite seeing it.

Edited by Lucky Charms

Ah... Safe, sound and 'fed'. Fed, huh? "W-Well, actually familiars in SAO don't need to be fed, that's mostly a vanity effect and they can sustain themselves off of no food from the minute that they're tamed, even if they can also eat food normally...", he grumbled under his breath, unsure if Lucky would hear it or not. The last thing he wanted was to be outed as a god horrible pet owner though, he really did feed it from time to time, but that was mostly to reassure himself he was doing an acceptably okay job.

Chase DBP Shocked.png"Uuuhhh left for right?"... Wh-What was that supposed to mean. The material? "Ah, uuh... Check to the left? I'm not sure, I just saw something shine and thought to tell you about it. If it's not left, check right?", he gave her some awfully specific advice, uncertain how much it really would be helping the newbie out. His mind was getting squished for ideas, what to talk about and other ways to help her, but it was really starting to come up dry no matter how hard he tried. He couldn't think of anything and even worse, he really did just stand there looking wide eyed right at her, obviously in a daze. By the time he snapped out of it, he almost lost his balance and yelped, managing to stay on his feet regardless. "Mmm... Sorry about that, I think the sleepiness is getting to me. Did you check left yet?"

"Wait they don't eat??" She gasps, sitting up and looking at him with disbelief. Oh, she heard him. "I could have had a cat this whole time but I was worried I wouldn't always be able to provide for it, and I literally don't have to??" She lets out a noise somewhere between a laugh and a groan of slight frustration. Well, at least that means she wouldn't have to worry about mess or too much responsibility. Why wasn't that more clear? She'd seen so many beast tamers feed their pets daily she thought it was necessary..... Maybe it just provides a buff combatively or levels em up... Maybe they just wanted to feel normal like she did too. Well, she couldn't judge anyone if they didn't though, why should they waste material on an NPC's enrichment when it could be put to good use.

She resumes her searching, scooting more to the left. It was a big area, and she might as well be blind as a bat when she gets her tunnel vision set in. "I am-did- ah don't apologize-  I'm sorry-" She apologizes. "I'm sorry to have made you sit here this whole time. You should have been resting, the boars haven't looked my way once."

ID 199087 | LD 17 | Material Search | Success! 5/5

"B-But look I found the last one so... You don't have to babysit me if you need to sleep!" 

She hated being a burden.

Edited by Lucky Charms

It should have been decided by now. Chase couldn't understand girls- specifically Lucky. "Ah? N-No, don't worry, anything that's out of house is resting. I've slept so hard the last few weeks that I feel even just sitting here is productive. You're scared of the boars anyways, for good reason. If it helps, then I'm fine with it.", he tried to comfort her and make her feel like less of a burden, because he really didn't get why she felt so insistent on blaming herself for everything.

Chase DBP Happy.png"You apologize too much. That's why I feel tense around you, probably.", he huffed and shook his head, stretching his arms up to the sky and yawning before he tried doing the same for his neck to shake off that cramped feeling. "If I wanted to do something else, I'd be in the 22nd farming some stupid mobs or something like that. I'm here cause I want to help, trust me.", he repeated himself once more, looking back at the entrance of the town. Now to do something different for a change, he signalled her to come over with him. "Come on, let's head back. Do you know what you want for a familiar? I might know where you can find one.", he suggested as he removed his blade from the soil once again, sheathing it on his back awkwardly. After he'd gotten his stone sword upgraded and lengthened in the process, it felt so weird having it strapped to his back rather than his hip. 

Lucky pouts a little as he attempts to console her, feeling both still a little worried if she was just making things hard for him, and the tiniest tidbit of satisfaction buried beneath it all. "Hmmm...!" She hums unsurely as if testing his honesty for a moment. But that's when he huffs and she ends up sighing, still a little red in the cheeks. But now that he's shown a little bit of his frustration with it, she feels better about it.  It's not just pleasantries at that point you know, it's genuine conversation.... and that's more comforting than just what 'should' be said.

"Mmm... okay..!" Lucky gives in, sounding warmer, and more endeared than the previous mood of worry, which had indicated feeling quite some distance.  She liked him, she finally decided, truly hoping they could be friends.  "I was thinking a big old dog-like creature, something friendly and lively but sturdier than those super cute but super wispy ones." She says- which is pretty vague, but at least it's a starting point.  

"That new sword takes a lot of getting used to?"

The size that familiars could take up was honestly very up for debate, as he himself had never seen one exceeding Chase's, certainly not by a lot if any. They tended to be around the size of a puppy, so she would be disappointed with how 'big' it could become, but such is life in the flying castle. "Mm... They get friendly as you stay with them. We could find something in the 9th Floor, probably.", he thought aloud and started heading into the Town of Beginnings again, back to where Zackariah was originally. 

Chase DBP Reminiscing.png"The 9th floor is like a hot, barren wasteland. But it has a lot of rock creatures and ashfoxes. There used to be a volcano somewhere around there, so you might find something around those lines. Canine or something like that.", he explained as if reading out an encyclopedia off of all he could remember from all his trips to there. And then she asked a more personal question. He knew that he didn't look too good with it, it certainly felt like it went his more small-sized and friendly aesthetic and made him look much more menacing than he was, but the fact even she could tell was worrysome. "Ah, yeah. It's been... a few months since I last had this big a sword. I always used two handeds, but it was broken. The one on my back right now is three swords combined into one. One was the broken stone one I used to hang on my hip and fought with, the other I'd found when clearing mobs further up, and the last one was the 25th Floor Boss' drop. I couldn't make anything close to this again if I tried. Once the floor boss dies, it's gone."

"That sounds like a plan then. A fire elemental pet would probably be handy, at the very least ill never need to light a fire... I guess I didn't have to anyways though, ha!" She laughs at the redundancy. So many things in this game could be done so quickly, just by pushing putting, or doing the same thing over and over again and leveling up to where suddenly she could be as great as she wanted to be.  And she'd never need to do so, or even wanted to either- not until recently. The idea of doing something, having others around. It was finally appealing again. 

He may be ashamed or insecure about his amiability to properly wield the weapon, but her eyes sparkle with admiration and excitement as he explains it. "Wow, you really participated in a boss fight? That's amazing!  And you even got to make a really special and unique weapon out of it... I bet the day you're able to use it properly, you'll look super cool!" She tells him as she follows him back to Zackariah's place, entering the alchemist store once again. 

"I'm back Mister!" She greets the NPC, perhaps for a moment forgetting he's unreal.  The alchemist turns to her, with a soft voice that chuckles warmly. "Good to see you're back child- now eh- come here-" he gestures, drawing her in closer. "Allow me to show you the work table. I can't let a young adventurer like you go out, without having crafted a potion. Always something wonderful about learning, isn't there?"

As the NPC blathers on about crafting and such, Lucky finds herself immersed in the experience, in the conversation. For the most part, if she asks a question on a mechanic, the conversation is fluid. She knows he's not real, but they did such a good job of making this kind old man- it feels exactly like the comforting connection she had between her and an old neighbor who used to help teach her Japanese. A patient and steady teacher.

"Now, give it ago- use whatever you need."

ID 199096 | CD 8 | Craft Heal Potion | Rare Quality- Success!

Edited by Lucky Charms

Her compliments did make him blush, zipping his jacket a bit and just smiling once he'd stuffed his face somewhere in the upright collar. "... Thank you.", he quietly said. It wasn't every day someone complimented him despite quite literally putting his life on the line on the daily, but he definitely loved the feeling of being cheered on after doing something good. And looking back, this was beyond good, this was an actual accomplishment worthy of praise too.

Chase DBP Happy.pngBy the time that he was comfortable enough and not with visibly red cheeks again, he looked over at her to see whether he could give her any more info on a flaming familiar or not, but before he even got the chance to, Zackariah was already tending to the newbie's quest progress. That made sense, honestly. And so, he watched her try to mix the materials she had just gotten, and just on the first try she managed to get a rare result. Was that beginner's luck, or did she just have a thing for crafting? He pulled both of his hands out of his pockets and clapped for her from the entrance of the store, smiling as Zackariah did too. "You did very well, quite quickly too. Now then... that's all I can teach you. Let me have the materials you picked up, youngster. I've some that would be of more use to you that I can let you keep.", the elder extended his offer along with his hand, allowing her to keep the potion she got out of it though.

His shyer mannerisms made her feel warm and pleased. It was just nice, having her genuine admiration reach the person it was aimed toward, and being able to how it made the other feel. She spared him the space he needed, continuing to be immersed in practice and conversation with the old man, cheering successfully and doing little jumps around from her excitement.  Finally again with her feet planted on the floor, she shakes his hand. "Thank you sir!" She smiles. 

"Now, was there anything else?" He asked. Lucky gasp a little as she had nearly forgotten, and explains to him that the mayor had sent her.  "Leave it to Dorian to forget something so important. No, I'm afraid it wasn't me that borrowed the col. You might try Lyle, the blacksmith. I've seen him talking with the mayor frequently the past month or so, and he's just up the road. I wish you luck!"

With that, the quest completes, leaving from her quest box, and replaces itself with something called the second lesson. But she declines to start that for now, turning back to her new companion as they exit the shop. "Hey, chase... "She starts. "Can I send you a friend request? I mean, I'm not gonna keep holdin ya back with me all the time but... I hope we'll be able to keep adventuring together! I've got a lot of catching up to do if I wanna be useful to you first, but it's really great having you around today."

Once Lucky was done with the quest, Chase expected her to hype over everything a bit, but she seemed to slow down for a more... friendly, so to speak, approach. He looked at her with a small, soft smile and gave her a nod. "Yeah, sure thing. If you want to keep going today, I can. Just let me bring Blizz first. We can go look for... whatever fire thing you have in mind.", he offered her and grinned, opening up his friends list and sending her a request quickly.

Chase DBP Happy.pngHe didn't expect things to roll around so well, but it seemed to do him good to hang around (different) people every now and then. Not to go help every newbie in sight, although that definitely wouldn't do anyone bad, but to at least stick to people after meeting them. Although, he wasn't sure if it was his fault or everybody just liked to disappear after the first few introductory quests... Maybe they got overworked and threw in the towel again after seeing they're not cut out for it... something like that. "It might do him good to see more people here and there too. I try to take him out more often, but things have been very stagnant now lately.", he continued and laughed awkwardly, trying not to dwell too much on how few, near none, adventures he'd had since defeating the Shadow.