[PP-F2]<<Let there be light>> A good place for a nap

Monarch didn't really care about where people placed him on the morality spectrum, in fact, this whole conversation had him worn out and the drawing he had attempted to pass to Astreya was the last bit of his energy. How did this become about morals and conviction? Ugh... I hate when this happens, we need to change the subject before it becomes a big deal. This wasn't the first time Monarch's morals were the cause of tension, but this was the first time he had cared about the outcome. He hoped he hadn't poked in too far, and skewered the egg of what could become a strong friendship.

"Because people like you are depending on me,"

She's right, but I don't entirely agree. Her point still stands, but so does mine. It's all about perspective. "Sorry..." The boy would look around the cave, hoping to find even a footprint to lead him in the right direction. I fell like crap, making her do all of the work. Okay. Just this once I'll give it my all. Standing up straight, Yasu would put his journal away completely. "You shouldn't feel like you have to protect me." Do I really get to be protected? All I've done so far is watch players live their lives, I haven't understood their struggle. Sure, I've fought monsters but only when it suits me. I needed col, or I needed materials. Even this last time, I jumped in to try and protect someone, because I couldn't stand it. Despite his body language shifting to an almost motivated look, the boy's eyes would almost seem more dull than usual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Action taken: Looking for Koko

Roll ID: 203662

LD: 11 Fail

Edited by Monarch

Post Action: Look for Koko
ID#: 203665
LD: 16 (FOUND YA!)

-----------

The girl couldn't help another small smile at his words.  "No, no, I know.  Like, it's fine- it gives me a sense of purpose, y'know?  Normally I was just kind of...just down in the first floor in the Town of Beginnings just like... hiding.  There wasn't, like, much of anything to do because I didn't know what to do," she murmured, giving a small sound of thought as they went on, the glowstone that Monarch held lighting the path for them.

"So it's good that I have something that I need to do- it lets me focus on, like, what's good and what I can do to help," she added, shaking her head slightly.  "I'm the kinda person who can't sit still, y'know?  So all that time just...sitting and waiting and junk down like, in the Town of Beginnings really just kinda got to me after awhile."  

She'd told this story a few times before, but there was more to it this time around.  A little more personal information than she'd given out to anyone else before.  Whether it was due to the fact that she felt like she trusted Monarch or simply the fact that she'd told it enough that she now had the comfort to open up further was hard to say, but she certainly had no problem in just letting the boy know.  "So don't like, say that I 'have' to protect you, y'know?  I want to," she added, her smile beaming into a larger one as she looked back at him.

Of course, focused on Monarch, she hadn't really seen the girl, but surely Monarch would be able to notice the form of the poor NPC girl who was stuck here all alone without anyone else.  Astreya was just too focused on her companion at the moment, curious to his own thoughts on the matter.

As the girl spoke, the edge of the light touched a small footprint, too small to be Yasu’s or Astreya’s. After the girl finished her explanation, saying she wants to protect the boy, Monarch would blush and look away, noticing the footprints leading up to a scared young girl. The boy’s blush would immediately disappear as his feet started moving and he popped the glowstone into his mouth. The boy was actually running, although he wasn’t very good at it. Sliding to a kneeling position by the child, Yasu would wrap her in his scarf. Giving her a gentle hug. Even without emoting, it was obvious Yasu felt for the girl. He understood her fear.

Pulling away from the hug, Monarch would pull the glowstone out of his mouth and wipe it on his shirt. Holding it towards Koko, he would say, ”Hey… you’re alright… we’re here to help you find your way back to your mom.” The boy’s generally cold unfeeling face had switched to a gentle and kind one. ”This Light is a magic spell, whenever you feel scared hold it out in front and say ‘Lightning’ and you’ll be safe.” The boy would explain as he grabbed the small girl off of the ground and held her in a piggy back. Looking over to Astreya, he would nod towards the door.

As the lazy child walked towards Astreya, he would remember her panicked exclamation that only one more bat was coming after they found the girl. His eyes would bounce around the illuminated parts of the cave, turning back to they’re bored glare he always had. ”Iris… the second bat.”

Astreya missed the slight blush from the boy as he had turned to look at something else, the young man beginning to move quite a bit more quickly than the girl had seen him since she'd met him.  Her eyes followed him, blinking at first as she wasn't entirely sure where he was going.  "Yasu?" she asked, before she followed the light source, noting that he had slid to a stop, and it was then that Astreya's eyes widened as she realized what he was doing.  "Koko?" she added, beginning to move quicker toward the pair of them, her hand instinctively moving to her weapon as she did so.

She heard him speaking quietly to her, and she couldn't help but to smile, looking at the boy with an amused expression on her face.  This was... interesting, to say the least.  This was the second time she'd taken this quest... and both times she'd been partnered with someone who saw the NPCs as something more than just data.  Freyd had been quite the first, who had been quite comfortable with treating Koko as if she were an actual child, and it seemed that Yasu was doing very much the same, now.

"He's right," the girl spoke, adding onto Yasu's words, and she shifted, the hand on her blade beginning to free itself from the holster as she pulled the large, icicle-like blade free.  A soft mist emanated from it as she looked on to where the bat was starting to approach.  "I see it.  Keep the girl safe," she spoke, as she readied her weapon toward the bat, before releasing her Hate-generating move toward it, keeping it centered on her.  She didn't want to chance missing and having it attack Yasu- or Koko- and instead just brought the Hate down upon herself.

"I'll take it out in a second!" she called, keeping it focused on her!

Astreya:
HP: 644/645 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 104 | ACC: 3 | BH: 32 | NRG: 95/99

Bat:
HP: 75/75 | DMG: 35 | Hate: A5, M0

Yasu stopped dead in his tracks, noticing Astreya get ready for the fight. Something in his gut twisted, his eyes dance around the cave. Setting down Koko, Monarch would draw his sword from across his waist behind his back, holding it in his standard reverse grip. "Stay behind us. Iris won't let anything hurt you." He would say, patting the girl on the head. Her tears hadn't even dried and now she was crying again. So that's what that feeling was. The boy's eyes would narrow as he turned his head and spotted the bat. Astreya had drawn its attention, so while Koko should be safe, Monarch would only leave her for a moment. The room would go dark for a moment, the kid bringing his blade across the gut of the bat. The room would light up as Lightning danced from the kid's blade around the monster, holding it in place for a bit.

He was already back by Koko as the light grew to illuminate the room once more. "Sorry, I had to borrow your magic spell for a minute. It's yours now." As he turned back to watch Astreya, Yasu's eyes would finally communicate with someone. Almost as if were written on his forehead. He had no remorse for this beast and only wanted one outcome in this whole situation. Normally Monarch hated killing. Be it monster or person, they all had lives. Right now these two were intruders in their homes. And while it was weird for someone to get so worked up over a bunch of code, in Monarch's eyes they were people too. Koko was just as sad for missing her mom as Yasu was that night he got lost.

"Make it suffer."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

Action Taken: ST-I on Bat

Roll ID: 203764

BD: 9 (Crit +1)

3 + 1 = 4 * 4 = 16

75 - 16 = 59 HP

Monarch:

HP: 40/40 | EN: 18/22 | DMG: 3 | Para: 1

Astreya:
HP: 644/645 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 104 | ACC: 3 | BH: 32 | NRG: 95/99

Bat:
HP: 59/75 | DMG: 35 | Hate: A5, M2 [Paralyzed]

Edited by Monarch

Post Action: Concentration + ST-I vs Bat
RollID:203766
BD: 2+3+1=6 Hit!  15*12 = 180 Damage!  Defeated!

The woman had unleashed her challenge to the Bat, and in doing so, it had careened right into her.  Thankfully, she didn't have any real damage to speak of, given her armor.  She didn't bother to even try to block the attack.  There wasn't much point as she held the two-handed blade in both hands, readying herself to just absolutely decimate this creature before her.  However, there was a sudden lack of light as Monarch switched to his weapon, willing to assist her once more.  She couldn't help but to be happy that, despite his seeming lack of interest in things, when it came to finding and defending this poor NPC girl, he was willing to do what was necessary.

She glanced back at him as he recovered the Glowstone, before realizing that there was an actual look of determination in his gaze.  He wasn't just floating through t he situation- he was here, he was actually taking part and willing to be part of it.  "Good on you, Yasu.  Like, totally awesome job!" she cheered for her friend before she turned back to the creature just before her.  She exhaled slowly, feeling the muscles in her body start to loosen as she concentrated.

Then with a sudden movement forward, she shifted her balance, the weapon in her hands moving a little slower than she would like, but thankfully, whatever Monarch did to the creature didn't let it get out of the way as she brought the blade down, almost like a baseball bat more than a sword.  The bat collided with the ground before bouncing up once and then disintegrating, leaving the pair alone with Koko.

"All right!" she cheered, grinning back at the boy.  "Nice job- I'm, like, pretty sure I would've missed without that, like, trick of yours," she spoke, before looking back to Koko, giving the girl a small smile as she came forward, kneeling down just before her and moving some of her hair from her face.  "It's okay now.  We're gonna get you outta here," she offered, beaming a smile to the young NPC girl.

Astreya:
HP: 645/645 | DMG: 15 | MIT: 104 | ACC: 3 | BH: 32 | NRG: 89/99

The praise from the girl pulled Yasu’s eyes from the fight, with a surprised look on his face and a hint of blush. Immediately the boy would pick Koko back up and start walking towards Astreya as she killed the bat. His hands felt cold, his eyelids were getting heavy, and he was practically half gone. But his cheeks felt warm, warmer than they usually were. He didn’t even try to hide his pink cheeks as he hardly knew they were there. Right now he just wanted to get Koko to her mother.

”You know Koko, you’re doing better than I did.” he would say, his sword disappearing from his hand. ”We all get lost sometimes. But in those times we have to remember someone is looking for us. For me, it was my sister. She pulled me out of a play ground and pulled me back to my house. My mom was worried sick, as I’m sure yours is, so make sure you say sorry. And after that, make sure you stay safe. It’s hell on a mother to miss her child.” Yasu would say, his voice in an almost comforting tone once again. He wanted to make sure Koko didn’t get lost again, even if she was a quest npc and most certainly would. His thoughts would shift to how his mother and sister feel right now, and his empty eyes would fill with sadness, but he didn’t have his scarf to bury himself in.

”My mother was so happy to see me, we had ice cream for dinner. My sister cried because she was worried, and relieved I had returned. It may not feel like it sometimes, but Koko… people care. They want to see you again, no matter where you go. All you have to do is believe you will, and you will.” he would explain, trying to convince himself more than anyone else. His vision would distort as his eyes watered up. He hadn’t really thought about what his family is going through. His father was probably doing his best to afford medical bills, his mother was probably broken beyond repair.

And his sister, Tsu, was probably doing her best not to think about it.

The young woman noted the flush on the boy's features and beamed a smile his way, even if she didn't comment on it.  He didn't seem to be the type to really want that sort of thing brought to the surface at all, or if it was, for it to be talked about and discussed.  She didn't really mind- just getting to see him react to the praise was enough for her.  She was happy that he was happy, and that was all she really cared about, now that she'd gotten to know him a little better.  He'd asked her to be a friend in-game, and to Astreya, that was as much of an actual friendship as anything.

But while she had expected a quiet trip out of the cave, especially given the fact that Yasu looked like he was pretty tired and needed a break... he began to talk.  He was talking to Koko, but the girl wouldn't really respond- as an NPC, she was scripted for this one event.  When Freyd had helped Astreya with it before, the man had mentioned that he'd done this quest many times to save the girl, and it was then that the young woman realized how he viewed the NPCs here- as real, living entities, even when they clearly weren't, such as with Marv.

Yasu's words however... didn't feel like they were for Koko- it felt like they were for himself.  Telling a story out loud, reminding himself what things were like from the real world, perhaps?  That they weren't all just trapped in here and had no history?  It was hard to remember that, sometimes.  That there was a world outside of this one that they all came from, and that people outside were still living their lives, even as the people within just...were forced to stay.

"I'll do everything in my power to get you back to your mother," Astreya spoke, smiling at the pair.  Much like Yasu, it would almost appear that she was talking to Koko, but the dark-haired woman could tell how important that family was to the boy... and she'd already resolved herself to get there.  But now that resolve strengthened.  She wouldn't let him down.

Iris’s words, though not explicitly aimed at him, pulled tight at Monarch’s chest. His throat felt constricted, as his already blurry vision cleared for a moment, the tears dripping down his face. The streaks on his cheeks would glimmer in the light of the small stone he carried. His strained voice would escape as he looked through the opening of the cave. ”See Koko? Like I said, someone is always here to help.”

The young lazy boy hated that feeling, like he had someone waiting on him. It was his own special hell. In this world he cared about very little. His family was really the only thing that kept him going, and right now they were just waiting for him to get out of this game. I’m sure Tsu will be disappointed to hear I did basically nothing while I was here. And she’ll make jokes about how my first friend was a girl. Dad’s gonna give me a quiet hug, pat me on the head and go back to being himself. Working too hard to let himself get distracted. Mom’s never gonna let me out of her sight again.

It’s gonna be such a drag.

Once they had reached the field, Yasu would let Koko off of his back, taking his scarf and wrapping it around his own neck once again, making sure to wipe his eyes as he took a deep breath. ”Let’s get you back to your mom.” He would say, grabbing the little girls hand and walking on.

After she'd spoken, Astreya hadn't missed the tightness in Yasu's voice... not that she was much better.  Her thoughts moved briefly to her own parents, who she knew where probably terrified at the moment about what had happened to their daughter.  Her father was not affectionate, but he was kind, and he never did too much to let his emotions show.  But all of the people-reading that he'd made her do growing up, she had realized at some point while trapped in this game, was to help sift through his emotions as well, so she could know how he was feeling, even if he lacked the strength to say it.

Her mother would be a sobbing mess, she knew, and that thought just brought a sad smile to her lips.  She was thankful for the darkness in hiding her from being seen by Yasu or anyone else.  She couldn't be weak, or sad, or scared.  There were too many people that were depending on her to stand at the front and to help protect them- her new friend included.  So she couldn't... let that  fear or that sadness grip her for too long, or too hard.  She had to stay strong.  For everyone.

-

As they approached the mouth of the cavern, she couldn't help but to grip her weapon tightly.  She didn't know if there would be a new set of PKers here... but as they came close to the entrance, she didn't see any.  Good.  She didn't know if she could bring herself to kill someone.  The thought...terrified her.  More than facing down the monsters that could mean her own death, the act of her taking another's life was abhorrent, to her, even in self-defense.

She understood @Freyd's reasons...but she still didn't know if she could ever fully forgive him for it.  She had been in a state of shock when it had happened, that she hadn't, at the time, been able to process it.  But over time, she'd been able to understand her own thoughts better, unfortunate though they were.  She'd never voice this lack of forgiveness, not to him, not to anyone.  She couldn't.  Yet it even now ate away at her.

"Heyyyy, wait for me!" she called, moving after Yasu, the dark thoughts hidden neatly away behind that cheerful smile as she hopped along after the man.

Yasu had fallen back into his low energy self once again. The conversation had all but died out as they crossed through the gates and reunited the lost child with her mother. A small grin would form on the boy’s face, seeing them hold hands and walk away after the woman had thanked the pair. The sun was falling behind them, and it made for a beautiful sight. Their silhouettes blocking out the brightest point, with a small beam shining between them. It was enough to blind the tired boy. Yet still he couldn’t pull his eyes away. Was that something he would ever experience again? Seeing his family? Them just being happy he’s safe?

Before Monarch joined the game, everyone in his family liked to poke fun or make passive aggressive comments at the kid’s schedule. All of them except for his mother. She didn’t like that he was a shut in, but she would never try to make him feel bad for it. She understood the only time the boy had truly felt happy was when he could sleep. There was no ill will from his sister, she just wanted him to go out and have fun. But nothing ever satisfied him. He’d tried his hand at most everything, sports, movies, TV. Hell, he even tried singing, something his whole family liked to try to convince him to follow through with.

But with singing came popularity, and with popularity, came people.

The kid would look over to the Tank who had protected him, and close his eyes as he turned and started walking away. Saying bye was always a drag, it seemed so painful for something that was so simple. Instead he chose to leave this encounter in it’s rawest form. Something he was sure Iris wouldn’t one hundred percent like. That’s why he hoped she wouldn’t notice. He wanted her to stop him, so maybe they could talk some more, but he had already taken enough of her time and caused her enough pain.

This was simply the best option.

As he walked away, his journal would come out, and he would draw something new. A pair of silhouettes, walking towards the sun. Their shadows hiding monsters but their faces still smiling. The taller figure took the shape of a woman, meanwhile the smaller figure looked more like Yasu. The boy would finish up the drawing, closing his journal and thinking on a name. Finally settling on one he normally wouldn’t like.

”Hope.”

With the walk back, Astreya had noted that Yasu had gotten considerably more quiet.  She didn't mind, not really.  Normally silence was indicative of a problem.  Of two people who didn't see eye-to-eye on something and couldn't quite reconcile their differences enough to try and talk through it.  It was something that she had encountered with people before, back before Aincrad, and she had always found that silence uncomfortable.  It felt hostile.  Like at any moment there could be something that would go horribly wrong and the two people would be cut off from one another for the rest of time.

It had never happened, of course, but the young woman hadn't been able to ever really reconcile with it.  

This, however, was a different kind of quiet.  This was something where Yasu had showed his hand in some matters, and so had she.  They had found a welcome, comfortable middle between the pair of them where they had (she presumed) similar thoughts and such toward the unspoken situation they were in.  The elephant in the room.  The 'succeed or die' which was Sword Art Online.  They both missed their families, that much was clear, and so she didn't push him to speak.  Doing so would not only be disrespectful, but it might shatter this soothing silence that was between them.

He was interesting to her, to be sure.  Picking him apart wasn't intentional, but it was just what her mind did.  But she didn't voice any of her thoughts, merely walking in pleasant silence before they turned the quest in, watching the small grin on his features as the mother and daughter began to move off toward wherever they would live, or despawn, or whatever it was they did.  All the same, as she watched them go alongside Yasu, she could feel his presence departing, and was able to tell that he was headed off, away from her.  She turned, glancing after him as he went, the sunny smile on her features a bit more somber as she saw him leave.

He didn't like goodbyes.

She also felt that it would be... presumptuous of her, to stop him.  If he needed time alone to recharge, she'd respect that.  But in the event that he wanted to know that he was still wanted and welcome- and for as sad as he'd gotten at the situation with Koko...

To: Monarch
Message: Heyyyy!  I saw you headed off but I figured you'd wanna rest!  If you wanna hang out again, just let me know when you feel up to it!  No pressure, promise!

Your friend,
Iris