[F17 – SP] The Battle of the Hammers | <<Challenge of Olympus>>

Nari eyed the being as she considered her options. If she was wrong, there was a good chance that she would miss out on whatever the reward may have been for completing this adventure – but… if she was right, well. There was only one way to find out. Tucking a strand of fallen hair behind her ear, she sighed in preparation for what she was about to do. It was a gamble, an absolute risk, but she knew that it was the best course of action that she could possibly see – at least right now.

“This piece is nothing but imperfections – it contains no piece that a true smithing master would consider adequate, much less worthy of being held in high regard.” Her voice was surprisingly steady as she spoke, a confidence in her words that she herself did not feel internally. Now came the hard part – the part that she was unsure of, but felt like was the best thing to say. “But… as one who is not a compete master of the craft myself, I understand why this would be given a position of high regard. It is imprecise, imperfect, flawed in entirety – but it is crafted from the very soul of the maker, a piece that reflects who we are. And that, that is something that is perfect throughout, even if ugly, or broken, or…imperfect in appearance.”

Nari sighed again, waiting to see how her answer would be taken. She knew from the bottom of her heart that it was the only correct answer that she herself could find, that she herself could accept. What matter now, though, was how the deity before her would view it. Would it be considered accurate in this being’s eyes, or would it simply be a fluffy excuse – to something a true master would never consider.

Nari’s breath finally released as the being spoke, the words coming slowly, a ting of appreciation in them. “Many have faltered upon reviewing this piece. Those before you have pointed out the improper connections, the broken and brittle seams. The ways in which it appears… misshapen, as if it were designed to be sat upon for comfort. Many more have given exhaustive lists about the many ways in which this piece would be unsuitable for the halls of Gods, or that it would break apart after extended use.”

The being paused, eyeing Nari for a moment before the voice continued. She could feel herself becoming impatient, wishing for the answer to simply be provided – even if it was to inform her that she had been wrong. She hated having these drawn out monologues, that games like this so often enjoyed.

“You, however… you have taken a different approach. One that few before you would likely have considered. There is much to be said in understanding the soul, and how it imbeds itself into a creation. In this… you are correct. There are many imperfections – thousands upon thousands. And yet, this is my most prized possession. For it is the very first piece that I ever created, the original throne for Zeus.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 516

It took Nari a few moments to realise what the deity had just informed her. She was correct. He had actually said the words. She felt the breath she had been holding suddenly release, a smile coming to her face as she stared at the chair. It was exceptionally ugly, and yet… somehow beautiful, once you realised what had gone into it. She glanced at the deity, the smile still on her face.

‘This is someone I can understand, someone who pours their entire being into what they do – not because they wish to be the best, but because that is what they truly love.’ She bowed her head at Hephaestus, attempting to show the respect she had for the individual, and the honour she felt at having been allowed to see such a piece. There was a… true blessing to it, in her mind.

“Thank you, for bringing me here – for sharing this with me.” The words were simple, but she put her heart into them, hoping he would understand how truly she meant them.

“You have completed my task, and so, as I have promised, I will share with you a hammer that has proven of great worth to me in my forge – and will surely prove worthwhile to you, as well.” Nari watched as the hammer appeared in the deity’s hand. Hephaestus held out the hammer to her, a caring manner in his approach, as if the item itself was worth everything to him.

Gingerly, Nari accepted the tool, bowing her head in what she hoped was a sign of respect. As soon as she did, it disappeared from her hand, and the dialogue box denoting the end of the quest appeared on the air beside her. Realising that she had finished everything to be done here, she happily pushed the acknowledgement button, before bowing to the deity once more, and making her way back out of the forge.

Spoiler

Word Count: 322