[PP | Floor 7] Kitten Frenzy (Training your friend.)

Xena had stayed seated petting the small tiger cub resting on her lap, she was sitting in a crisscross form allowing the cub to easily lay there. She had only recently been pulled out of what you'd call a tiger pit thanks to Freyd. Doing so the two ended up her, and after a noisy NPC had hurt her ears she was calming down now, her ears were unused to loud shrieks like that. They were horrible in her opinion, not that it mattered she had yelled so loudly it's likely the entire floor heard them. About 10 seconds had passed sense the NPC vanished and Xena say on her butt. She wasn't sure what to do next in fact, her research didn't go any deeper. Perhaps that's why their somewhat uncommon, because of their difficulty to find and train. Xena then looked at Freyd she didn't doubt he had answered so she simply asked him with a beaming smile. "So uh, I assume you know what to do next right?" She was a tad bit timid to ask not wanting to show herself in a stupid light, not like she hadn't already with all the crap that's happened, hugging the kitten who she has finally decided to name Amber to her chest Xena just watched Freyd waiting for a answer.

Xena | HP: 260/260 | EN: 44/44 | DMG: 9 | MIT: 18 | BH: 5 | LD: 3 | BLD: 12 | REC: 2
Lvl 13

@Freyd

Edited by Xena
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confusion spread over the Whisper's face.

"Aren't you supposed to be an information broker?  Shouldn't you know this stuff?"  It wasn't a dig.  He honestly would have expected her to have done her research before delving into this sort of quest.  "Do you have any idea what you even want that thing to be able to do?  I mean, it's not quite as low profile as I might have expected you to want, but given the ears and tail, I can see why you might want it?"

Freyd was simply too pragmatic to appreciate anything for its cuteness.  If Xena had ever seen his home, she might understand.  Everything was bare and minimalist.  His father would have hated it, which only made him love it all the more. 

"Does it come with its own cereal brand, at least?"

He just stood there, looking at Xena and wondering where she wanted to go with this.  "I mean, I spent weeks out hunting zombies with Persi on thirteen, but she's always been the angsty type.  What's... uh... Amber?  Yeah.  Amber.  What's she gonna be good for?"

Freyd | HP: 1100/1100 | EN: 144/144 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 78 | ACC: 5 | BH: 60 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8

Full Stats:

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadow
Level: 32
Paragon Level: 105
HP: 1100/1100
EN: 144/144

Stats:
Damage: 24
Mitigation: 78
Accuracy: 5
Battle Healing: 60
Loot Dice: 5
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
PARA IMMUNE
REC: 8

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T4 MA | HLY 2 | FLN 2)
Armor: Fallen Angel Garb (T4 LA | Mit 2 | Rec 2)
Misc: The Shadowed Rose (T3 Trinket - ACC 3 | Para.Imm)

Custom Skill:

Skills:
Martial Arts R5
Battle Healing R5
Light Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change
Extended Mod Limit

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Meticulous
Untraceable

Inactive Mods:
Vanish

Addons:
Ferocity
Precision
Resolve
Reveal
Stamina

Active Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Forgotten King’s Authority
Hiding R5

Inactive Extra Skills:
Meditation
Brawler
Photosynthesize

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+30*T HP) x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+30*T HP) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk: The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic WH, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off)) x1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring:

Xenas timid if not happy demeanor rather quickly fell into a somewhat offended if not upset one. "... Are you fucking serious right now?" Her tone was that of condensed anger that was trying to be held in. "I've seen a total of 3 familiars in my life here, 2 of which are present fucking company." She had stated referring to Freyds familiar and the one she now had sitting on her lap, the third one she couldn't even remember what it looked like. Standing up the tiger cub now sitting next to her Xena spawned a small black book opening it. "On a side fucking note, thing? Fucking really? You know damn well what it fucking is so could you grant me that much humility instead of calling it a fucking, thing." Xena had taken pretty much every word freyd just said with clearly extreme offense whether or not it was on purpose. She also had said fucking about 10 times in the spand of 3 minutes, which is honestly not something anyone should do regardless of anger, but with a sigh she simply mumbled. "You really have no idea how difficult it is to get information on higher floor quests from floor 1..." Xena sighed her tone shifting to a much calmer if not saddened one shutting the book with a snap like sound to it. It then vanished into particles. "You ask what this familiars gonna be good for? Giving me an emotional outlet seems good enough right now." She stated with a small frown wishing Freyd could also be like that, but after this brief 4 minute conversation she doubted it would ever be like that again. "And Freyd... that really hurt... but I'm sure you can tell..."  With that Xena pulled up her hood looking in a different direction from Freyd, planning where to go next, not that she had many options, either go home to her small broker store on floor one or try to figure this out on her own, cause she honestly didn't think Freyd was gonna help after his first words to her just now.

Freyd merely raised an eyebrow at her outburst.  Temper tantrums were not going to be effective against him.  On the chance that it was some sort of an act, and in deference to their friendship, Freyd just stoically waited for her to finish.

"You're gonna want to dial things down a bit," He offered, politely, wondering how she functioned as a broken if she flipped out quite so easily. 

"I know precisely how hard it is.  Who do you think has been feeding information to the brokers all these years?"  There was a harsh edge to those words - not threatening, but burdened with callous decision making of the sort that lives tended to depend on.  It was clear that Xena didn't have a clue who and what he had become, and he had no intentions of shattering her protective ignorance.

"If Amber serves as nothing more than a cuddly plushy, then so be it.  It's your choice, not mine.  But you can't just fly off the handle and try to rip people a new one just for asking a simple, practical question."

The contrast between them was striking.  Where Xena was full of piss and vinegar, salted with an overabundance of passions, Freyd seemed cold and calculating, governed by pragmatism in all things.

"You're going to face things and people out here that will get under your skin, Xena.  Some of them literally.  You can't flip out like this at them.  Some of them would just as soon stab you for an outburst like that, or even kill you." Shaking his head, he crossed both lanky arms in front of him.  "We need to toughen you up a bit if you're going to survive beyond the walls of the Town of Beginnings.  There's no Marv out here to save us, this time."

With a look of condensed anger the tiger lady let out a hefty sigh. Apparently she couldn't be her true self even around a old friend. Her voices tone changed to one much like the kind Freyd spoke in. "The way I broker is by hiding behind a mask, I had assumed I wouldn't have to wear it around you but." She sighed her eyes still seeming to be filled with life but also dulled. With a shrug she simply began stating. "In truth the only familiar skill I have knowledge of is the crafting skill, which would likely be helpful for me due to just obtaining a profession I'd say likely less then 3 days ago." Her façade was clearly visible from the eyes of someone like Freyd, not to mention he already knew the real her, but her mask would likely work during broker jobs. "The truth is Freyd I had believed you trust worthy of my true emotions, it seems you don't enjoy them though, and growing is something I should of done a long time ago." As she spoke her eyes very clearly teared up a small bit as if upset at the words she was saying but they quickly vanished. "If you'd like to help me by all means do, but if you only plan to insult the true me, I feel this friendship won't last, perhaps you don't care, but I do." Stating that the Tigress crossed her arms before sighing her voice returning to normal the difference immediately noticeable like light and day. "Did you prefer that? The serious me? The one who won't let herself be weighed down by emotions?" She acted like it was a split personality, and that was frankly because she hated acting like that. But knew it as a necessity for her line of work. She turned around taking a knee to pick up the tiger cub. "I want to trust you Freyd, with the real me, but with the way you voice your opinions whether their fact or just opinion, it makes me feel like you may not like the real me anymore." She stood holding the cub in her arms turning back to Freyd. "I only wish you'd trust me with the real you." She stated as if hoping under all the angst and seriousness that fun side of Freyd back in the day was still somewhere in there, he had already showed her it for a little bit. But it seems she might of failed his test of trust as well. "But I want you to know Freyd, whether you ever start not liking me, I'll never not like you, even if I am throwing a tempur tantrum as you call it." She gave a small smile petting her familiar some more, it was a extremely calming feeling not to mention clearing her mind of her opinions towards Freyd, she just hoped her would do the same at some point.

A sincere sigh, his shoulders slumping slightly.  Emotions were hard.  He was still new to the concept, and likely clumsy.

"Friends are honest with each other, Xena, as I've tried to be with you.  I wasn't mocking you, just asking.  But, likewise, you can't jump down my throat just for doing so.  This thing has to run both ways."

He wasn't angry in the slightest, but it was clear that Xena was all riled up.  Freyd's brain was just struggling to figure out why.  Was it the Corn Flakes comment?  Was she just overly sensitive about the whole cat thing?

"And I certainly don't dislike you or I'd have left long ago.  Why don't we just see what Amber feels best suited for?  Maybe it'll be crafting.  Maybe something else.  Most familiars I've ever met seem to mirror their owners personalities, much like real world pets do."

With that said, Freyd waited to see what Xena wanted to try.  Persi had always been intended to be a combat familiar, but Xena seemed to have other priorities.  She just needed time to figure things out.

Xena seemed to just be calming down, she's gone through so many short bursts of anger it was almost stupid. "Ah... I'm, sorry, I guess, I'm just a little defensive..." More like a lot but she was already embarrassed enough at this point. "I... kind of just assumed you were, insulting me or whatever..." She didn't talk to many people, Freyd was the first person she's talked to all week actually, after listening to Freyd mention not hating her or he would of left a while ago she shrugged her shoulders a bit. "I, guess your right... how do I do that though?..." She asked, this time genuinely, she had no real clue what the second part of training a familiar was like, and she was actually afraid to even ask, seeing how the last time she did Freyd snapped at her somewhat. Which started that entire argument, she wanted to make this work but, Freyd was just a tad bit insensitive and she had no idea why. She could always ask but, she didn't imagine he'd wanna go into it, and even if he did did she really wanna hear it.

"Erm... well..."  He looked around, as if seeking inspiration.

"So, part of the issue is that things changed a bit, systems-wise, after the big black ooze floor during the floor 25 raid.  You might remember it, or maybe you just slept through it.  Probably better if it was the latter, because it traumatized a lot of people.  Familiars got re-classified afterwards, so my intel may be a little out of date.  Persi, for example, is now a grappling type familiar.  She's pretty reliable when it comes to stunning stuff, but I swear it's made her lazier than she used to be.  There are healing and protector types.  Those are fairly obvious.  Hunter types can help find treasure, but are not very good a it, or so I hear.  Scouting familiars are close to those, but focused more on finding dungeons and treasure chests  The last type I know about is the other one you mentioned: the profession or crafting familiars."

It was a long-winded explanation, but laid out all of the options.  

"Oh!  Rending.  I forgot rending, which I think Katoka's familiar can do.  It can occasionally apply a DoT effect on a target.  Might be a good fit for a tiger, unless you have your heart set on crafting?"

Xena listened to Freyd's description of floor 25 with some confusion. "I uh, don't really remember anything like that, so I must of been sleeping during it." She listened to him state a few of the familiar types, there really were quite a bit of them, it was somewhat surprising actually. "Oh jeez... That's, a lot of options..." She mumbled thinking about them all, Xena was somewhat indecisive when a entire spread sheet of options was thrown at her, then again who wouldn't be, she continued listening to him when he mentioned a name. "Ka, toka?" Her speech has split the two parts of the name as she had never heard it before. "A friend I assume?..." After stating that and possibly waiting for a explanation she would then comment. "I uh, vaguely remember Familiars being able to die at some point, did the event on floor 25 change that or something?..." She asked with a calm manor, it was a sensible question at least, familiars dying would likely be heart breaking. And likely would of upset many many people, as she said that she looked down at the cub in her arms then back up at Freyd, she wasn't entirely sure what skill to have for the familiar but its likely Freyd's idea would be best.

"Katoka?  Yeah.  We've been through the grinder a few times together on quests, but she's really come into her own.  I think we joined Firm Anima around the same time.  She's this tiny little Katana-wielding samurai chick, usually dresses in blue.  She, Elora and I have been on several adventures together.  That reminds me, I'm supposed to organize their next stage of the Dragon Hunter quest chain.  Hopefully Griswold will have their weapons ready soon.  I think he's been distracted by the Tournament that Baldur organized." 

His face scrunched up when Xena mentioned familiars dying.  

"It's probably possible?  Honestly, I've never heard of it and would never deliberately put Persi in that position, but she has been flung around quite a bit."  One hand rose to stroke his chin.

"Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever noticed a familiar having a health bar."  His only remaining option was to shrug and move on.  "It's not really something I want to test out, yanno?"

Xena seemed to smile at the fact Freyd made friends, seeing how he didn't seem to like many people. "That's really good to hear you made other friends, although I can't say I've heard of Firm Anima besides the name occasionally being thrown around. Though I won't press for details, that's not the kind of thing i should get myself wrapped up in." She stated that in a rather calm manor though there was the slightest hint of jealousy about the other friends part, it was however a fact, her getting caught up in such a thing could likely lead to her own demise sooner or later, after all she wasn't remotely capable of doing any combat quests, she'd die for sure. She'd need to grind a whole hell of a lot if she ever wanted too and frankly she didn't. Did that make her a coward, she pondered that for a moment, all these people fighting for everyone, and here she was, just sitting around not helping at all, maybe she was a coward, and needed to harden up like Freyd had said. "I'd very much doubt anyone would, familiars are like a pet after all, I've only heard such a thing through the grape vine I know of." She shrugged the cub she had been holding now clinging to her shoulder its head popped up next to hers. "It's something that if tested the tester better pray for their life, at least in my own opinion." 

"You haven't heard of Firm Anima?"  He seemed genuinely surprised.  "We're one of the most active and fastest growing guilds around and went from fielding a few members in the floor 25 to filling out half the front line ranks in the one that just wrapped up.  Many of them have become good friends, and I would gladly introduce you to them, if you'd like.  The guild is always looking for new members, and is very generous and supportive."

Watching Amber paw her way up onto Xena's shoulder made him smile.  Persi, amorphous form made her capable of insinuating herself into the least expected places.  She had, from an early point in their pairing, taken to slithering her way beneath his armor and wrapping herself around his chest for warmth.  He'd witnessed other shadow mongooses do the same when they first found each other in the canyons near Fortaleza.  

"Yeah.  I get what you're saying.  And I can already tell that you two will be great partners.  We just need to get this little one focused on a specialty."

Reaching out, he stroked the tiny cub between the ears, causing it to purr and nuzzle back against his hand.

"Honestly, I genuinely don't know anything about the front lines by choice, it... kind of stresses me out, if that makes sense." As she said that he had immediately invited her, which she responded to with what would be defined as a 'meep'. She honestly didn't know what to say as she seemed a tad shy towards the invitation, she tried to find her voice bust just couldn't. Supposedly Freyd had many friends in the guild, did he lead it, he must be at least somewhat high in the guild to invite someone like her into it, she was a low level nobody compared to most others who at least do stuff to help progress the game. "I-I uh..." She only had just noticed him he had began petting Amber who seemed to enjoy it a rather large amount, it gave Xena a somewhat relaxed smile but she still had no clue what to say towards the invitation. She wanted to say yes but she also didn't, after all she wouldn't be of any help with how she is now. "A-are you sure...? I don't, think..." She clammed up again not being able to bring words out.

"You're gonna hate me for doing this, but suck it up and don't try to claw or bite me."

A grin as wide as his head spread as he took his other hand and briefly rustled her hair between those cat ear things.  It was just too irresistible.  

"Ah!" He interjected, raising his hand off her head with a single finger raised in pre-emptive warning.  "Friendly gesture only!  No outrage and no temper tantrums allowed, remember?  And yes, of course I'm sure.  All of Firm Anima's current members started where you are now, including myself.  That's how it works in our guild.  We're not about bossing anyone around - only supporting each other towards the common goal of getting out of this game."

Taking a cautious step back, mischief still clearly pasted across his face, he continued.

"Now, what say we get this party started, or else we'll be here forever.  Hmm?"

Persi's head popped up from behind Freyd's collar, blue eyes glowing amidst a field if inky black.  Though she never said a word, hear eagerness seemed infectious.

Xenas face gained one of pure shock the second she felt the hand on her head, the ears had spread on either side of her head as he had rubbed her head side to side, she was about ready to bite when he pulled his hand back. "Jeez you have a death wish." She mumbled as passive aggressively as she could crossing her arms, showing what restraint she could. He then commented about the whole Firm Anima situation, she shrugged. "I'll... I'll think about it." She would decide by the end of this quest she had decided that at least. Rather quickly she followed behind Freyd as he made his way away the tiger cub now hanging a top of her head. She wasn't sure where they were going. "You uh... said scouting would be a good skill?..." She asked as she had caught up with Freyd her tail trailing behind her. She would likely make use of such a skill often in the future but right now she didn't exactly see that much of a need for it. 

"You're a broker, right?  Never underestimate anything or anyone who might provide you with usable information.  Something like the location of dungeons, the entrance to a floor labyrinth, even the placement of treasure chests throughout an area.  That sort of data sells like hotcakes, if you advertise in the right places."

Striding through the familiar outer gates of Nimbus, Freyd winced at the cold brightness of light as they emerged from the hollowed out cave city.  Sloping valleys slung between high peaks of grey granite greeted them, huge chunks of broken rock dotting the landscape at every turn.  The valley floors were lush, green and fertile, but things turned barren quickly as your eyes traced the topography.

"I always imagined that Scandinavia must look something like this, but I've never been.  Actually, the Rockies are too different, I suppose, once you move away from the coastal areas."  

Leading them a short distance away from the settlement, Freyd laid out his plan.

"Okay, so, I've never had a scouting familiar, but I'll wager that training one would be a bit like playing fetch without throwing something first.  This landscape is fairly barren, so that will make it a reasonable challenge.  Just make sure that you state your intentions clearly, and be patient.  Remember that Amber is new at this too."

Following was something Xena found she was doing a lot, for a broker she had no fucking idea where she was supposed to go half the time or what she was supposed to do, she'd need to change that, and soon if she wanted to make any type of progress in that business. "Scandinavia?..." She asked actually forgetting such a location existed in real life, she forgot a lot about real life over this time in all honesty, it was someone depressing, but she had mostly moved on past those thoughts. "I personally don't tend to like living near coastal area's... water kind of frightens me."  As she said that Freyd had explained what familiar skill would likely be best for her, nodding she had looked down at Amber who was in her arms. "I suppose that could work yeah." As she said that she did set Amber done for them to follow the duo. "Well, what should i be trying to have her look for exactly?" As she had stated that Amber had in fact snuck off, now going to scout the area.

203864  CD 5

0/3

"I'd suggest starting with the practical stuff: food, random mats, etc.  The sort of things that are abundant on nearly every floor.  What you're really doing is learning to communicate with each other.  Familiar's can't speak, but they are surprisingly intuitive creatures."

Almost as if sensing that she was missing an opportunity to be praised, Persi' head popped up out of Freyd's cowl.  The rest of her then oozed out, slumping like molasses into a viscus pool of dark at her master's feet, save with a pair of bright blue eyes with horizontal slits for irises.  

"I'd offer to have Persi help, except that... " He blinked twice.  "Actually, you know what, she's actually half decent at finding treasure."  A couple of quick finger snaps garnered her attention.

"Have a look around," he urged her.  "See what you can find, and bring Amber along with you.  Do that Familiar thing you do.  Maybe we'll actually get lucky and find something useful."

Freyd places The Shadowed Rose in BR inventory, bumping The Thing Behind All Lies, and replaces it with:

Small Konpeito Sack | TIER 1 DEMONIC TRINKET | LOOT DIE III, QUALITY I
Crafting ID: #185195
A small cloth pouch of Konpeito; albeit, the candy inside isn't actually edible.

New stats:

Freyd | HP: 1100/1100 | EN: 144/144 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 78 | ACC: 2 | BH: 60 | LD: 8 | QUAL: 1 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | REC: 8

Xena shrugged watching Freyd use a item. "Soooo, while their gone what have you been up too lately? Anything interesting?" She asked mostly just trying to learn more about what Freyd had been up too, it had been a few years after all and she was practically clueless of what Freyd had seen and done. Maybe joining Firm Anima, would help her learn that. Certainly a point towards joining Firm Anima by the end of this. "Of course if you don't wanna talk about it that's fine." She shrugged after saying that the wind blowing through the area, honestly she wouldn't mind sitting and laying in the grass here for a while, it had a nice sensation and due to the game having no real insects no bugs would crawl on you. It was actually a nice perk, that and dirt wouldn't attach to your body and itch you most likely, at least that's been her experience every time she had done so.

"That's a pretty big question," Freyd replied, plunking himself down on one of the stony outcrops.

"It took me a long time to work up the nerve to even leave the Town of Beginnings.  Though I was helped along by the good will and generosity of others.  It helped me find my footing.  By happenstance, I ran into a few kindred spirits and ended up joining Firm Anima.  The guild was much smaller back then, and operated largely in the background.  But that quickly changed as we plowed through quests and dungeons throughout every floor of the floating castle.  By the time the front lines gathered to take on the boss raid, all four division captains had leveled up enough to join the fight."

Freyd smiled at the memory of Haine, Raidou, Kiluia and himself showing up out of the blue to join their ranks.  It was a proud moment.

"Persi?  Did you actually find..."

Freyd's jaw dropped.  Somehow, she'd done it again.  The little minx stood proudly atop a chest hidden behind a nearby pile of stones, Amber pawing and licking the box like it was some sort of special scratching post.

Searching for treasure chest: ID#203876 | LD: 18+8=26 (Found!)