[PP-F1] The art of Tailoring <<Earning a Living: Tailor>>

It had been quite some time since Krysta had been to the first floor. She had overheard a few gripes from players in regards to a sudden lack in open tailor shops as of late, and perhaps now was the time to try filling the need.

Krysta had practiced the art for a long while, and had sewn a small collection of dresses at this point, none of them enhanced, of course. For the time being, she would need to make her way over to the shop of an NPC who she'd heard could teach players how to make enhanced gear as a tailor. The young noble would once again find herself walking through the sprawling city known as the Town of Beginnings. Perhaps this is where professions bloomed, too... So many within these walls still hold out and hide within, whether it be a lack of hope, or a preparation to set out, a need to find allies before marching into the deadly wilds...

Would Krysta end up meeting someone along the way? Only time will tell, and it was not uncommon for lower level players to try and find an ally who could carry them.

@Them

Stats and Equipment:

Spoiler

Level: 32

Paragon Level: 22(paragon stat bonus totals: +80 HP, +8 EN)

Paragon Rewards:

Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.

Lv. 10 | +1 LD to Loot and Chest rolls

Battle Stats:

HP: 760(Base[720], Resolve[40])

Energy: 110(Base[90], Energist[20])

Base Damage: 23(THSS R5[7], Combat Mastery: DMG[12], SS Ferocity[2], Meticulous[1])

Mitigation: 78(Lumino Regalia[48], Light Armor R5[30])

Accuracy: 2(Alediel's Grace[1], SS Precision[1])

Evasion: 0

Loot Die: 3(Andvari's Blessing)

Holy Damage: +8 Damage on BD 9-10

T4 Bleed: Inflicts Bleed on BD 9-10, deals 48 DMG per turn for two turns

Additional conditions:

-2 on all stealth rolls(Light Armor Rank 5)

Equipment:

[T4] Alediel's Grace(Holy, Accuracy, Bleed)[Equipped]

[T4] Lumino Regalia(2 MIT, 1 REC)[Equipped]

[T1] Andvari's Blessing(3 LD)[Equipped]

Consumables:

Teleport Crystal x1

Skills:

Straight Sword Rank 5(30 SP)

Light Armor Rank 5(30 SP)

Combat Mastery: Damage Rank 3(13 SP)

Battle Healing Rank 5(30 SP)

Energist(8 SP)

Shift: AoE(10 SP)

Extra Skills:

First aid Rank 5(30 SP)

Familiar Mastery: Healing(10 SP)

Meditation

Mods:

Purify(4 SP)

Barrier(6 SP)

Field Medic(6 SP)

Meticulous(4 SP)

Addons:

Resolve(6 SP)

SS Ferocity(6 SP)

SS Precision(2 SP)

SS Stamina(4 SP)

Cleo's wish to pursue tailoring was simple, if not incredibly naive. As a former drama student in the real world, she wanted to bring theatre to the death game to help raise morale in the Town of Beginnings, where the mood could often be bleak. To do this, one would need to create outfits, many outfits in a variety of sizes, with accessories and props to go with them. That would be too much work to bother the game's leading tailors with, who were already in such short supply, so she decided to take the initiative and become one herself.

And so it was that Cleo made headway for Richard Textillion's shop, where every tailor's journey began. The walk was typical for the starting town, NPCs and low-levels going about their business with little care for anything more than what concerned themselves at the moment. In a lot of ways, Cleo was the same, but she had grown tired of the mundanity in recent times. There was a whole world out there, teeming with mysteries and unexplored corners, and she'd felt a growing desire to get out there and conquer it. For now, baby steps. Costumes and silly hats were her main priority.

After arriving at the storefront, Cleo stopped just before the door when she endeavored to do some inventory management. It was only the previous day that she learned how to equip a sword, and she wanted to make sure that her luck bonus trinket was working properly.

Approaching footsteps alerted her to another's presence, causing her to turn away from the inventory screen. "Hm?" In a moment of clumsiness, she misclicked the 'Drop Item' button, unbeknownst to Cleo removing the <<music box.>> from her person and onto the ground below. "Oh, my bad," apologised the purple-head, who stepped aside to let the other player into the shop.

@Krysta

Stats and Equipment:

Spoiler

Them
Level 3 | HP 60/60 | EN 24/24 | DMG: 4 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 3

Equipment:

Rusty Dagger (Vanity - Dagger)
Leather Duster (Vanity - Overall)
music box. (T1 - Perfect - Trinket) (Loot Die III)

Skills:
<<Dagger>> - R1 (4 SP)
<<Cloth Armor>> - R1 (4 SP)

Edited by Them

"There, it should be this way." Krysta noted before closing her map and continuing forward. The young noble would soon reach her destination. As she approached, the player in front of her would seem to drop an item and apologize, before stepping aside. "Were you intending to enter as well? More than one player can enter a building, you know." Krysta asked softly, knowing no other reason for one to simply be standing by a door. "Perhaps I should introduce myself, I am Krysta, it is a pleasure to meet you." She said to the purple haired woman of rather gothic appearance, while giving her a moment to retrieve her item that she'd dropped.

Krysta would enter the shop, but would hold the door open for the other player in case she wanted to enter as well. A towering, well-dressed NPC would walk over to meet the two players. "Hello, and how may I help you fine ladies today?" He asked.

@Them

Edited by Krysta

The other player, a woman of blonde hair and blue eyes, was clad in a set of striking, finely detailed armor. It was in stark contrast to Cleo, who wore a body-length duster jacket and a pair of worn boots for an almost vampiric appearance, akin to a grave-keeper more than anything else. Krysta spoke softly, friendly, to which Cleo smiled in kind. "Cleo. Nice to meet you, Krysta." At that point, the purple-head noticed her mistake, recovered the trinket from the ground, and joined the other player, offering a nod as thanks for holding the door open.

Richard Textillion had taken notice of the two and broke into greetings immediately. Cleo adored him in all of his fabulousness and responded first. "I hear you're the one to come to learn to tailor, is that right?" 

The player's question pleased the man, who laid a hand on a counter adorned with dresses, and another hand on his hip. "And you've decided to seek guidance from the master? I can hardly blame you for that." Without giving them a second to breathe, he continued. "Unfortunately, my fabric is all top-of-the-line, and hardly the quality for a novice to experiment with. Should you gather your own materials, I would be happy to help you." 

A small window appeared before each player, prompting them to accept the quest. Cleo looked over to Krysta. "Oh, are you choosing Tailor as well?"

@Krysta

Edited by Them

As the conversation would continue, the player who had introduced herself as Cleo would tell the NPC that she intended to become a tailor. The NPC would give his response, which was understandable to an extent, and the quest prompt appeared to both players. Cleo then looked over to Krysta and asked if she was trying to become a tailor as well. "I certainly am." Krysta answered with a nod. "I've had a fair share of practice, but now that there's an apparent lack of tailors out there, I figured that I might as well make it my profession as to fill the need."

Krysta pressed <<Accept>>, and the quest would begin. Once out of the building, Krysta had something to speak about...

"Before we leave the safe zone to gather, it would be wise to have knowledge of where we should go and what to expect." She began. "In terms of equipment, I only have a single luck-granting necklace on my person to assist my search, with three slots of luck." She continued as her hand moved to the golden necklace that she had equipped. "I could loan it to you if you lack an item granting luck." She offered, just in case. "By the way...Do you know of any places that happen to be bountiful in terms of materials that are of use to tailors?" She asked, wondering if this player knew any hotspots the two could take advantage of.

@Them

A pragmatic reason for wanting to be a tailor, Cleo thought. "Makes sense." Early impressions of the blonde woman were that she was resourceful and, more importantly, knowledgeable about the game. She assumed the player was a higher level, high enough to have seen a few of the floors above at least. After she accepted, the quest dialogue disappeared with a bloop, and she exited Richard Textillion's boutique alongside her apparent quest buddy.

The other player had been first to speak up, and to what she said, Cleo agreed. Krysta was assuredly more experienced than Cleo. Her attention glided to the necklace around the woman's neck and then to the little music box attached to her belt, which she twisted around to reveal. "I'm good, thanks. This thingy has a luck bonus," she divulged with a tap, which caused the box to chime for a second. "As for places to look, I'm so sorry, but I haven't got a clue. I'm only Level 3, which probably makes it worse, given how much time I've spent on the first floor." She laughed nervously, smiling all the while. "Hopefully, that doesn't put you off too much? If it's any consolation, I'm a bit of a good luck charm when it comes to gathering." That was about her speedy attempt at <<The First Lesson>> which, Cleo was almost sure, she'd completed in record time.

@Krysta

Edited by Them

The player's response to the young noble's words was helpful to know. This player, although relatively inexperienced, seemed to know what she was doing. "You shan't need to worry." Krysta reassured with a smile. "That shall not hinder me at all, and there are no quest enemies to slay, so you should be relatively safe for the most part." She added. "...Of course, if anything does dare to march towards us with malicious intent," She said, drawing her sword for a short moment. The regal blade of a guardian, its holy light emitting a soft glow. "I can dispatch it with ease." She said before sheathing the weapon. She would look to her hand, then back to the player. "And should you find yourself wounded, I can restore your health." She finished with a soft smile.

"I am certain we can finish this before nightfall. If one of us manages to collect an excess, perhaps we can point out any more we find for the other to collect." She suggested in case one would struggle whilst the other did not.

With that, it was time to leave the safe zone.

@Them

"It's a deal." Cleo, impressed and glad for having run into the other player, nodded. The arrangement was good, if not far more beneficial to Cleo, as Krysta could certainly blow past a quest like <<Earning a Living>> alone.

A little time later, outside the bounds of the starting city, the players would wander along a beaten path, traversed by many of the game's remaining players in its time, if not all of them. The day was calm, quiet. A steady breeze hung in the air that caused the trees and the flora to sway back and forth, carrying the occasional leaf up and into the sky. A nearby riverbed, home to many critters, was decorated with thickets of Flax along its banks. And, when Cleo managed to snag the first one of the day, it seemed a suitable place to find materials.

"So, you look like you can take care of yourself," started Cleo, her attention swaying between Krysta and the track ahead, curious to learn more about the woman. "Not in a bad way. It's nice to have somebody like that around, to feel at ease out here."

ID: 203986 | LD: 18 + 3 = 21 (Success!) (1/5)

@Krysta

Edited by Them

The players would happen to wander their way over from a beaten path trodden by many, over to a riverbed where thickets were growing along its banks. Krysta saw her ally noticing a patch of flax among the thickets, but each player had to gather their own set of materials, so perhaps it was best to attempt to find another patch. Perhaps there was some flax that could be used, or were some of them not fully grown enough to be used for tailoring purposes...?

The other player began to converse with Krysta, remarking that Krysta seemed capable of taking care of herself. "In a world as dangerous as this one, one must learn how to handle herself in such a hostile environment." Krysta noted. "There's no end to the troubles, be they from the game itself, or by the few players who have strayed from the noble cause, resorting to joining the monsters with their choices to partake in acts of malice." She added, looking off to the distance as she did. "I seek to not simply just survive, however...but to also guide and protect the innocent and well-meaning. I have seen the horrors of war, and crossed blades with a relentless killer. I must be prepared to face enemies that come, and to protect those who need my assistance." She continued, almost forgetting to gather.

@Them

ID# 203997 LD: 4+3=7(failure)

Progress: 0/5

Edited by Krysta

Cleo spent a few seconds trying to gather her thoughts. She'd anticipated a boilerplate response to what was quite a generic opener, but she wasn't ready for the verbal poetry delivered by Krysta. "Wow." For one so inclined toward the performing arts, she struggled for words. "I know many in the Town of Beginnings that have people like you to thank for saving their lives. So, thank you." It was poor, but it was all that she had. "I'm lucky to have never been in a life-threatening situation before. Not in this game, anyway." Inadvertently reminded of a bad memory, of being hospitalized just months before Sword Art Online was released, she looked away toward the river. As luck would have it, a thicket of Flax wasn't too far away, and the player scored another material for the quest.

Perhaps enthused by Krysta's rousing speech, or maybe she just felt safe enough around the woman to open up, Cleo felt a willingness to share. "I've been thinking about getting out there, you know, away from the Town. But I always get to the gates and then remember that this is real. One lapse is judgement is all it takes, and I'm done for." She paused. Was there a point in saying any of this? "Sorry, tell me if this is weird, and I'll zip it. Did you ever go through anything like that, when you first started out?"

@Krysta

ID: 204177 | LD: 19 + 3 = 22 (Success!) (2/5)

Edited by Them

Cleo seemed to be at a loss for words for but a short moment, then she decided to thank Krysta, despite the fact that some of Krysta's goals involving the safety of other players had yet to be accomplished...Dazia still had to be vanquished, for one. "Oh...you're welcome...?" Krysta uttered out. She wasn't used to being thanked for an unfinished task. Cleo remarked that she had yet to be in a life-threatening scenario within the game. Krysta may have found herself in odd, chaotic, or unorthodox scenarios in her past, but most of them were never truly a real threat to her life...or, perhaps that one instance counted? "Well, that's good to know that you haven't found your life threatened as of the moment...unfortunately I cannot say the same for myself...I was even captured once... However, I'd...rather not handle such a threat again, in all honesty..." She responded. There was more uncertainty than a threat in that scenario, however, but thankfully even without a certain someone coming in for the rescue, it was possible for Krysta to handle it.

Cleo noted that she had been thinking of going beyond the Town of beginnings, further than just the outskirts of the starting settlement, but also that there was great fear in the moment of stepping out, with the knowledge that every decision counted. She then felt rather silly about sharing this, but asked Krysta if she had any similar feeling during the beginning of her own journey.

"...I most certainly have." Krysta answered. "Rest assured, there is nothing strange about this conversation. I remained in that town for two whole years, wondering if i could ever muster up the courage to step outside and face the horrors that dwell within this virtual dungeon. ...But despite the terrified young woman I used to be, even she knew when she could not tolerate the evils that roam any longer..."  She explained, still looking off into the distance. "So I found myself a weapon, fought my first battle, met with my cousin...before...before he fell to a monster in human form, a hateful Individual by the name Dazia, currently known by some as the Raven of Wrath...I have been seeking out this killer ever since that one day..." She continued, clenching her fist as she recalled those memories, running off into the room of resurrection, to see that her cousin had perished, his name crossed off the monument... She then took a deep breath, and unclenched her fist. She looked to her right, and saw that the patch of flax next to her had none which was ready to be gathered.

@Them

ID# 204302 LD: 8+3=11(Failure)

Edited by Krysta

When Krysta revealed that she'd been in a life-threatening situation in the past—held captive no less—Cleo battled against her instincts to gawk and instead stared, unsettled but calm. Without context, she couldn't know how big of a deal the event was for Krysta and thought against making anything else of it.

What Krysta said afterward brought only sadness. Cleo noticed when the woman's hands curled and unfurled, a sure sign that the story held significant emotional weight, and she looked away, uncertain of what to say to make things better. There wasn't anything that could be said to make it better. "Nobody should ever have to go through something like that. I'm sorry about your cousin and for your loss." She tried to imagine losing a loved one in the game, to know that a small piece of the actual world is with you, only to have it ripped away by somebody else's hands. The thought was too terrible. She paused as words failed her, then started. "I hope that you get whatever you need out of this Dazia, the 'Raven of Wrath', be it justice or something else."

The conversation, enlightening as it was, had taken a sad turn, and she felt a need to distract the mind. Cleo dawdled around for a moment, spying a third material, and bagged it soon after that. 

"I see how the high-level players do it now, I think." She wouldn't pretend to speak for everybody, of course, but continued, sounding more confident of herself than before. "Some have probably had something happen, some event which defined then, that pushed them to keep moving forward. Some might just like playing the game, I guess. And then, whoever's leftover, probably doesn't see the point in doing anything but pushing on. At least, I think that's where I fit in." She considered whether what she said came across as gibberish. "Or not. I'm only a Level 3 player, so I'm way underqualified to be making any judgments about why the front-liners do what they do, but that's how it seems from the outside looking in."

ID: 204305 | LD: 15 + 3 = 18 (Success!) (3/5)

@Krysta

Edited by Them

Cleo felt sorrow for Krysta's loss, claiming that no one should have to endure such a tragedy. Krysta looked to her weapon, little embers of similar color to her eyes, burning within them. "At least I know the promise I have made...that Leif would not have perished in vain..." She looked back to the fields and thickets around the riverbed, she had to take this off of her mind for the time being. At last, there was something Krysta had use for. She would collect the material with a sensible level of haste.

Cleo began to hypothesize the reason why late members of the playerbase begin to step outside the safe zone for the first time. It all seemed so strangely similar, though...

"Event which defined them, pushing them into action, as though it were some sort of inciting moment?" Krysta thought aloud. "Why, it almost sounds like it were a Tale of sorts, a story people would tell...or at least, the beginning of one." She remarked. "An odd comparison, to be sure, it is almost a humorous comparison, quite the coincidence." She added, not entirely sure what to think of this thought that Cleo had posed.

@Them

ID# 204423 LD: 16+3=19(Success)

Progress: 1/5

Edited by Krysta

Cleo appreciated Krysta's thoughts on the matter with a smile, thinking the comparison to a Tale to be quite apt. "It sort of does sound like the beginning of a story, doesn't it?" She deepened her voice for dramatic effect, "'Challenged to live in a world bent on destroying them, who will rise to overcome the odds, to lead their brethren to freedom?'" Her voice returned to normal, and she laughed a short, breathy laugh before looking to the other player. "Sorry. Again, please tell me if I'm being weird, and I'll spare us both the embarrassment."

For possibly the first time in a long, long time, she was beginning to feel like her usual, energetic self from before. Not just since before the game started, however, but months prior, when a string of bad decisions in her life triggered a domino effect of consequences, of which she'd never recovered from the fallout.

However, with a positive, a negative typically follows, and she silently sighed after failing to spot any materials in a nearby thicket of flax. "Nothing over here. How's your search going?"

ID: 204426 | LD: 10 + 3 = 13 (Failure!) (3/5)

@Krysta

Edited by Them

Despite the seriousness of the actual scenario, Cleo would add to what Krysta had noticed, a bit of a dramatic flair within the words she spoke on top of that. Cleo laughed while Krysta chuckled a little, and it would seem that once again, Cleo had felt rather silly about her words and demeanor. "Oh, it's all right," Krysta reassured, smiling as she did. "I don't mind." 

Something must have happened for this player to be so easily embarrassed. What could have gone wrong? Did others judge her for her behavior?

Cleo shifted the topic back to the task at hand, and asked how Krysta had been doing so far. "Better than when I had started." Krysta answered, spotting some cotton as she did, and collecting the material upon doing so. "It would seem that materials that tailors have use for happen to be uncommon as usual, however..." She added.

@Them

ID# 204451 LD: 20+3=23(Success)

Progress: 2/5

Edited by Krysta

Stubborn in her search of the fourth material, she continued to rummage through a couple more thickets, listening as Krysta mentioned how tailor's materials weren't as easy to come across as other professions. "I'm starting to believe you. How can there be nothing in any of these plants?" A few bushes over, she spotted something. "Hold that thought." As she shimmied toward a nearby plant and found the fourth material, she pocketed it swiftly, her suspicion confirmed. Killing it, she thought with a proud smile.

As much success as she had herself, she gathered that Krysta had been struggling and wondered if there were more suitable means to acquiring materials. To gather was the default, least dangerous approach, and the most ideal for herself, but that didn't necessarily limit the other Player. Then, in a lightbulb moment, she remembered a <<Boarlet>> encounter from a few days prior. "Maybe we could fight some boars? I fought one yesterday that dropped a piece of leather. That has to be a tailor's material. I bet we could rustle up the rest in a heartbeat!"

ID: 204583 | LD: 12 + 3 = 15 (Success!) (4/5)

@Krysta

Edited by Them

Cleo seemed to agree with Krysta that tailor materials were difficult to come across in the wilds. It was true, there were not that many materials that could be used by tailors to craft sufficient light armor padded with leather, or cloth armor woven from fine fabrics...

Krysta knew that hide could be refined into leather through the process of tanning, but a hunt was not an option that was without risk, especially with the level gap between the two players... And now Cleo had gone on to suggest a hunt. Krysta looked at the player, a worried expression on her face. She shook her head. "No." She said. "It would bear too much risk. I cannot allow you to die over a simple material...and due to my presence, there's nothing we can gain from anything that isn't around my level..." She explained.

...But alas, speak of the devil, a rustle within nearby overgrowth would catch Krysta's attention. A large, rugged, perhaps battle-hardened boar would emerge from its hiding place. When Krysta spotted its cursor...it was red, not pink... This monster was balanced to Krysta. "Cleo, get back!" Krysta called out as she drew her blade. "This creature...it is balanced against me. Take cover and stay out of its range, surely one strike from it will be fatal to you!"

Krysta then readied her sword art. The monster drew near to Krysta, and then the young noble unleashed her sword art, Celestial Sweep. The beast squealed as its HP fell into the red. It then glared at Krysta, and charged towards her. Dodging this attack could potentially divert its attention, so Krysta positioned her weapon to block instead. This worked, and the creature backed away, but its gaze seemed to suggest that it was wondering what its next move should be...

@Them

ID# 204591 BD: 5+2=7(hit), MD: 2(miss)

Celestial Sweep: 23x15=345 DMG to Boar

[1]Krysta: HP 760/760EN 95/110 | 21 DMG | 78 MIT | 2 ACC | 3 LD | Holy: 8 | T4 Bleed

Enemies:

Boar: HP 39/384, 128 DMG

Edited by Krysta

"Die? Come on. They're just boars. How bad can they be?" She scoffed at the notion. Their excursion being the first time she'd partied with anybody, the concept of scaling mobs escaped Cleo, and she failed to grasp how a measly boar could be a struggle for the pair. A material by a nearby brush stole her attention and she floated toward it, blissfully unaware of the mob that lay in wait.

Cleo ate her words when a hulking beast of a boar burst onto the scene, its body worn from battle and the crystal floating above its head, black. Backward she staggered, tripped, and struggled a safe distance away from the mass of pure aggression, as the other Player had commanded. Fear flashed in her eyes, "I've never seen one like this before!"

She watched, marveling at the brilliantly executed sword art from Krysta. The mind-boggling damage made Cleo gawk as the boar's health bar drained to but a sliver, comparable to a baby being shown the coin-behind-the-ear magic trick for the first time. The other Player was making a meal of the fight, but it wasn't over yet. "Be careful!"

@Krysta

ID: 204683 | LD: 20 + 3 = 23 (Success!) (5/5)

Edited by Them

Cleo scoffed at Krysta's words, but then the boar emerged to prove the point Krysta had made. Once the monster was in sight, Cleo heeded Krysta's words, and remarked that she'd never before seen such a monstrosity like this creature.

Cleo called out for Krysta to be careful, to which she would nod in agreement. She then kept her eyes on the monster, waiting for its next move. Why such an atrocity would even walk upon this floor, of all places, was a mystery... The only possible reason for such a horrific beast to be here at this moment, why it would have to have been the Cardinal's doing, would it not? After all, only the Cardinal could balance creatures it spawned to the nearby players, no matter how strong.

The boar simply watched Krysta, as though it awaited her course of action. It seemed that taking action was the only way to end this little standoff here. Krysta moved in to attack, then the boar jumped back, before lunging towards Krysta. Another well-timed block would prevent the monster's attack from reaching anyone. Hopefully Krysta could finish this quickly.

@Them

ID# 204684 BD: 2+2=4(miss), MD: 3(miss)

[1]Krysta: HP 760/760EN 97/110 | 23 DMG | 78 MIT | 2 ACC | 3 LD | Holy: 8 | T4 Bleed

Enemies:

Boar: HP 39/384, 128 DMG

Edited by Krysta

The boar dodged away from Krysta's attack, Krysta deflected an assault from the boar, and Cleo watched from the sidelines, whelmed with anticipation. It was the first time she'd bore witness to a high-level player in combat, and against an enemy scaled to their level no less, so she'd take the time to study the other Player's movements. The fight seemed one-sided, with the boar not having landed a single attack and its health almost entirely depleted. Still, for Cleo, it was an excellent opportunity to start to fill the most glaringly obvious gap in her Sword Art Online knowledge; combat.

Her eyes broke from the fight for a moment on the off-chance that a material lurked nearby, perhaps around the hollowed-out tree which she separated herself from the action unfolding nearby, but alas, she'd no such luck.

Rather than risk distracting the Player in the midst of a fight, she stayed put, still as a rock, watching.

ID: 205010 | LD: 8 + 3 = 11

@Krysta

Edited by Them