[PP-F1] Seeking Riches 《Earning a Living》

Earning a Living

So much.

There were a handful of places readily available in the Town of Beginnings for teaching the basics of survival in Aincrad. Coupled with the tutorial were the means to take on professions and become part of the world's dynamic economy, allowing each Player to contribute to floor clearing, the enrichment of daily life, and a multitude of other monotonous tasks that sounded fantastic on paper but actually amounted to the nine to five grind of a desk jockey. His ruby gaze glazed over as he stifled a yawn and watched for the thirteenth time in an hour that the same NPC ambled past, mindless, on a loop that could numb the brain of anyone who paid attention for long enough. "This is the closest I've been to drunk in years," he drawled. Corvo ran a hand through his gilded hair and bristled loudly.

He realized that he was tapping his foot impatiently after the fourteenth pass. The Player reached out and grabbed the NPC by the shoulder and pulled him close. "Don't you have something you need to be doing?" he asked, trying to omit the menacing growl from his words. "You know, other than pacing, back and forth, for literal hours-"

"I have to spread the word," the young man recited dutifully, "have to make sure everyone knows."

Corvo watched the man's face, almost like he believed that it might twist in laughter at any second. Surely, he wasn't serious? "Knows... what?" the youth asked. "You haven't approached anyone for the entire time I've been watching you."

"Approached?" came the confused response. "No, no, never approach. They have to ask me."

He was dumbfounded by the simplicity of the response, and the conviction with which it was delivered. This twisted reality had an equally twisted sense of humor. "Right..." he snorted. "Alright, I'll bite, but you better not make me regret it. What does everyone need to know about?" He let go of the man's shoulder and crossed his arms. Was it some kind of mission, to fight orcs or collect wood? A dangerous situation that required an immediate response? No- surely, the game would have made this character a bit more compelling and given him a bit more urgency if that were the case-

"Opportunities," the boy positively gleamed. "For work!" he added, as though he needed to be more concise. "There are many professions in this world, and a great deal of need besides. I've been tasked with putting the word out and recruiting to try to handle the demand for skilled workers. It's a real problem, you know-"

Corvo felt his brain returning to the mushy state it had emerged from just precious moments before. "Yeah," he started to say, "but it ain't my proble-"

"Did you know?" the lad asked enthusiastically, cutting in before he could finish his sentence. Corvo blinked. What was that? "There's even work for hoarders, gatherers, people who find materials and rare objects alike." He reached into his pocket and produced a shiny stone and held it out for the Player to appraise. "You can find the secret treasures of this land- maybe even be rich, one day!" He quickly stowed the item when Corvo made to reach for it, much to the other man's chagrin.

"Rich, you say?" he questioned rhetorically. A King needed coffers to rule, and riches were the best way to fill said coffers. He nodded. "Alright," he lifted a finger and pointed to the boy's nose. "Then you have the privilege of telling me where I can find someone to teach me this skill," he told the younger man.

"Oh, yeah, of course!" the boy nodded. "That'll be Giovanna. She makes camp just outside town, near the forest. You can't miss it. When you see her, tell her Pietro sent you, would you?"

Looks like I'm not the only one looking to get rich, he smirked. 

"Yeah kid," he winked. "Whatever you say." If there's a sign on bonus or a finder's fee, it's all mine, kiddo. Welcome to real world business practices.

With his business settled and his next move planned, Corvo promptly made his way toward the gate.

@kali

Spoiler

Corvo

Level 9

HP 180/180
EN 36/36

Base Damage: 8  Mitigation: 12 Accuracy: 3 Evasion: 0 Bleed: 12 Risky: 8 Recovery

Edited by Corvo