[PP-F5] Here, Little Leo <<Feeding Your Enemy>>

An extra couple of terms trickled into her mind-dictionary, evasion and mitigation, concepts she'd known of but hadn't been able to put names to the ideas. The recommendations stuck with Cleo the most out of what Nari told her. Teamwork, a concept foreign to her of yet, seemed to play a key part in the higher levels, as she'd now heard from multiple players, but it wasn't something that worried her too much as of then. She nodded, uncertain herself about how much she was genuinely taking in, though feeling that most of it were beginning to stick.

From the pause, followed by Nari's distant expression, she understood that a painful story might hide behind the reason for wanting to protect other players. "That's the best reason you could have." Perhaps she lost somebody? was the first thing that floated into Cleo's mind, but she wouldn't dwell on it any further. 

Instead, with Nari's offer to help devise a proper strategy for Cleo moving forward, the blue-haired woman's eyes lit up, any dejection from earlier masked by hope for the future. "You would do that? First, you write off the dagger, and now, this. Gonna to be in more debt to you than world Governments are to each other, you know?" A grin began to grow, and she nodded. "I'll bug you some time. Coffee's on me. If you drink it, obviously." 

In the distance, a crack emanated from the ruins. "Hm?" Perhaps it was nothing, the wind blowing rocks around and into the walls. Perhaps, it was something else. Cleo stood herself up with a look of caution, maybe a touch dramatically, but the atmosphere was conducive to vigilance. "Wonder if we should move further into the ruins. We're barely scratching the surface, as it is. Maybe that was the Flametail?"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nari’s eyes had shifted alongside Cleo’s, drifting towards the direction of the sound. She could see the girl climb to her feet in the corner of her eye, but her awareness focused on the distance. Something had cracked, she was sure of it…and the one thing she knew for sure, was that sounds in the distance were never good.

“Moving on may not be a bad idea.” She turned and started heading inwards, deeper into the ruins themselves. On her shoulder, Yuki twitched, a sign that she had also caught the sound in the air, and something about it – or the environment – was making the fox uneasy. Knowing it was best to move on, Nari called back over her shoulder to the girl. “And don’t worry about being in debt – consider it repayment if you survive this death game. But coffee would be enjoyable, if for no reason other than to devise some sort of plan for you.”

She took a few steps forward, before glancing over her shoulder, a look of curiosity on her face. “Did you say…Flametail? What is that? A specific type of animal? I’ve not heard of it before…”

Spoiler

Word Count: 193

Cleo mobilized a few steps behind Nari as the two pressed onward, dagger at the ready.

Then, when the other Player inquired about the creature, realization filled Cleo's eyes. "Oh. It's this sort of cat, with beige, long fur, beautiful blue eyes, and its ears look like little wisps of smoke. Its tail is always on fire. Flametail." The Player recalled seeing the creature clear as day in all its majesty and smiled slightly, looking to Nari. "Sorry, I should have described what we were looking for earlier. The cat will stick out like a sore thumb around here." To that, her eyes began to sweep the area around them.

Trekking onward, the condition of the walls improved, and the hieroglyphs grew legible, though to what they eluded was knowledge lost to time. The suggestion of a corridor formed around them and, in the distance, a wooden coffer sat raised upon an intricately chiseled sandstone pillar. Partially buried bones lined the walls up along the corridor with curved scimitar blades poking through the sand beside them, a sign that the two players mightn't have been the first to grace the ruins.

Another crack creaked closer this time. Cleo slowed, squinting, and whispered. "There it is again. No sign of the familiar, though. See anything?"

Off to the side and a little way ahead, almost imperceptible, a bone twitched.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 84/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 36/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1
Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 300/300 | DMG: 45
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 300/300 | DMG: 45

‘A small flaming cat…interesting choice.’ Nari shook her head at the enquiry, her eyes still drifting about the area. “No, although I don’t think I’ll be the one to spot-“

Her words stopped as she saw the bone shift – something she would’ve completely overlooked if she hadn’t been specifically searching for signs of danger. Drawing her right foot back, her shield and spear came up almost instantly in reflex to the sign of danger.

“Get behind me.” Her voice was suddenly devoid of any emotion as she entered her battle stance, her face stoic and focused. She watched as two skeletons rose from the ground, both seemingly lumbering to their feet after centuries of being buried. “I’m going to try stunning them both. Once I do rush in and strike them, okay? Even if you do manage to damage them, they should remain focused on me, but even still try and stay out of reach of them, or behind me if you can.”

Spoiler

[0,0]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 84/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0,0]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 36/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1
Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 300/300 | DMG: 45
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 300/300 | DMG: 45

Combat Start

Round One

ID205006 | BD: 8 + 3 = 11 | <<Tech-F vs Ruin Skelton 1>>

| The strike hits! Minor Critical hit! [+1 DMG] 

| (8 + 1) x 12 = 108 DMG

| Ruin Skeleton 1 is stunned! 

ID205007 | BD: 5 + 3 = 8 | <<Tech-F vs Ruin Skelton 2>>

| 8 x 12 = 96 DMG

| Ruin Skeleton 2 is stunned! 

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 192/300 | DMG: 45
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 204/300 | DMG: 45

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 72/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Spoiler

Word Count: 163

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

"I trust you," replied Cleo, absorbing Nari's plan as she stood behind the other Player, grip tightening around her dagger. The clanging of bones as the skeletons arose from their centuries-long slumber led the hairs on her arms and neck to stand on end, thinking the sound more than unpleasant.

When the shieldbearer stunned the assailants, Cleo heeded the time to strike. She ran at them without fear of retaliation and lashed out with a sweeping attack, the dagger's point tracing an arc in the air, which missed both targets. Tripping on the first skeleton's boney foot, Cleo stumbled arms-first toward the ground with a grunt and tensed, just barely saving herself from a painful fall. With another grunt, both out of discontent and embarrassment, she turned, watching the undead monsters start to recover their motor functions. Squarely focused on the purple-haired woman, they paid no attention to her, and she struggled back onto her feet.

Spoiler

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 192/300 | DMG: 45 | Stunned
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 204/300 | DMG: 45 | Stunned

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 72/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Combat Start

Round One

ID205008 | BD: 1 | <<AOE-I vs Ruin Skeleton 1>>

| The strike misses!

ID205009 | BD: 3+1=4 | <<AOE-I vs Ruin Skeleton 2>>

| The strike misses!

[0,0]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 32/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Edited by Them

‘Easy. Far too easy…we’ve got this…’ Nari smiled to herself as the two skeletons froze in place, the stun affect prohibiting their movement. From behind her she heard, then saw Cleo rush forward to try and catch both creatures with her dagger. Nari watched as the girl rushed forward, swinging in a relatively controlled swing…and then tripped over one of the skeleton’s feet. ‘Well, that was…something.’

Seeing the two creatures beginning to move again, Nari realized she needed to step in – and quickly. Bringing her shield up in front of her, she levelled her spear, aiming for the weaker of the two. She still wanted to provide Cleo the chance to finish this, and possibly gain the loot from them. “I’m going to weaken the first one a bit more, think you can finish it off? You’ve got more to gain from these than I do, so I’ll leave the last hit to you, alright?”

Spoiler

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 76/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Round Two

ID205??? | BD: ? + 3 = ? | <<Tech-B vs. Ruin Skeleton 1>>
| The strike misses! Critical Miss! [-1 EN]

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 75/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Spoiler

Word Count: 155

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

She heard Nari's intentions to weaken the first foe so that Cleo could finish it off. "I can try!" She stood, readying to strike again despite her critically awful attack from before.

With the skeletons bundled together, Cleo seized her moment. She approached speedily to deliver another swing, barely missing the first yet connecting with the second, draining its health into the red zone. Thrown from its attack, the mob tumbled and fumbled the attack. "Missed. Look out!" The first skeleton drew its weapon backward and swung at Nari, doing itself more harm than good as its health dipped into the orange zone from the recoil while the shieldbearer's health bar barely moved. She took no damage? thought Cleo as she pulled back from the undead duo and circled to Nari's side. Keeping steady eyes on the enemies, she quickly looked to the other Player, confusion written across her face. "Did you damage the skeleton without hitting it?"

Spoiler

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 75/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0,0]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 35/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Round Two

ID205130 | BD: 2 + 1 = 3 | <<AOE-I vs. Ruin Skeleton 1>> | MD: 6
| Them: The strike misses! [-1 EN]

| Ruin Skeleton 1: The attack hits on Nari, and it takes 72 DMG from Thorns!
| 45 - 147 = 1 DMG!

ID205131 | BD: 6 + 1 = 7 | <<AOE-I vs. Ruin Skeleton 2>> | MD: 5
| Them: The strike hits! [-13 EN]

| 13 * 11 = 132 DMG!
| Ruin Skeleton 2: The attack misses!

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 719/720 | EN: 75/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0,1]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 22/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 120/300 | DMG: 45
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 72/300 | DMG: 45

Edited by Them

Not taking her eyes off the Skeleton, Nari will gently say over her shoulder to the girls enquiry, “It’s an ability for armour, it allows you to give back some of what you take – or if you’re like me, more than you take.”

Eyeing the two skeletons, she’ll drop her shield into place, pulling her left leg back as she readied herself to strike. Her gaze rolled over the health bar of the two creatures, suddenly realising that both were nearly defeated.

“I’m going to hold here, you finish them off. They’re still focused on me, so make sure to make this one count, okay?” Letting go of the sword art she had been preparing, she’ll instead prepare her counter ability, bringing her shield up in a full ready position. She realised suddenly that she’d never actually used the ability before, and a small part of her hoped that she’d get to see it in action.

Spoiler

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 [+14 BH] | EN: 79/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Round Three

Nari activates Parry [Vengeful Parry]

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 79/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Spoiler

Word Count: 156

The fact that the recoil damage existed as an ability blew Cleo's mind. Another thing to learn? I should start writing this stuff down.

With the plan set in stone, she nodded firmly and took position a few strides back and to the side. It was simple; she'd wait until the skeletons were close enough to Nari to attack and then run in speedily while they're in mid-swing, finishing them off before they knew what's what.

That would have been the plan if one of the skeletons hadn't killed itself after bashing the shieldbearer's armor and diminishing the remainder of its health, while the other followed suit, taken to within an inch of its life.

She stood still, somewhat gobsmacked at the poor showing from the mobs, somewhat gawking at how strong Nari seemed to be. Cleo twirled the dagger around as she prepared to step in if necessary, though it appeared that the fight had fast approached its end, and she hung back for a moment longer.

Spoiler

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 79/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0,1]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 23/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Round Three

ID205156 | BD: 2+1=3 | <<AOE-I vs. Ruin Skeleton 1>> | MD: 8
| Them: The strike misses! [-2 EN]

| Ruin Skeleton 1: The attack hits on Nari, and it takes 72 DMG from Thorns!

ID205157 | BD: 1 | <<AOE-I vs. Ruin Skeleton 2>> | MD: 6
| Them: The strike misses!

| Ruin Skeleton 2: The attack hits on Nari, and it takes 72 DMG from Thorns!

[2,2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 718/720 | EN: 79/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0,1]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 21/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 48/300 | DMG: 45
Ruin Skeleton 2 | HP: 0/300 | DMG: 45

Edited by Them

Nari watched in what she could only call disbelief as the girl once again managed to miss hitting either target. She barely registered the two skeletons slamming their weapons into her, her eyes entirely on Cleo, even as one of them exploded into shards. “You… you missed again. I would recommend maybe focusing on… hitting them. It tends to, well, work better. Do you have any accuracy boosts on your weapon?”

Turning her attention back to the single Skeleton, Nari will level her spear along the top of her shield, steadying the point of it before activating the sword art. As the tip begins to glow with the light violet colouring, she’ll suddenly last forward with the weapon, attempting to slam the tip into the centre of the skeleton’s frame. Without turning, she’ll call out behind her, “If not, I would recommend considering getting it…you can’t do much if you can’t hit the creature you’re trying to fight.”

Spoiler

[2]Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 [+14 BH] | EN: 83/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
[0]Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 21/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 48/300 | DMG: 45

Round Four

ID205??? | BD:? + 3 =? | <<RAW-A vs. Ruin Skeleton 1>>

| The strike hits!  Minor Critical hit!  [+1 DMG] 

| (72 + 1) x 3 = 219 DMG

| Ruin Skeleton 1 is defeated! 

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 75/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]
Them | Lv. 9 | HP: 180/180 | EN: 21/36 | DMG: 13 | MIT: 5 | ACC: 1

Ruin Skeleton 1 | HP: 0/300 | DMG: 45

Spoiler

Word Count: 158

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Cleo's face lit up with shock as Nari took to roasting her mid-fight. The skeletons' fates were sealed by the shieldbearer's spear, exploding into shards and leaving naught but a dim glow, and their existence ceased to be. However, before the chamber could grow quiet, the purple-haired player posed another question to the blue-haired one, and Cleo's smile faded. Cleo's immediate reaction compressed into her thoughts; you know that it doesn't, you made it! She noted the change in the woman's demeanor since before they'd engaged in combat. Something seemed to change. A coldness or darkness set in. She recalled fighting the scorpions earlier and realized that it was the same then. "Okay! Sorry, I wasn't trying to miss them on purpose. I'll add that to my repertoire of shit to remember when we get back." Giving Nari the benefit of the doubt and chalking the attitude up to the thrill of the fight, she reigned the sarcasm in her reply but couldn't hide the dissonance latent in her tone.

With a quick check to make sure no more piles of bones scattered the area, she set her eyes back on the path they'd initially been taking. Ahead, a small wooden box sat perched upon a sandstone pillar. It seemed suspicious to even the most untrained of eyes, and she glanced toward Nari with a hint of discontent before looking back to the coffer. "You wanna open it? Seeing as I might miss the chest lid and all, too."

ID: 205160 | LD: 8 + 3 = 11 | No famliar!

Edited by Them

The battle over, Nari felt the calmness leave her, and a sudden rush of emotions roll over her. She knew how hurtful her questions had been, and as the girl snapped at her – albeit relatively kindly, all things considered, Nari felt her face downturn in reaction.

“No, you can open it. I’m… sorry, I didn’t mean to be so rude. I… get focused on battle. I just… look, I don’t want you getting hurt, so sometimes I say… well, things don’t always come out right.” She took a breath, rolling her shoulders and stepping towards the girl, holding out her right hand awkwardly – the shield on her arm weighing it down slightly. “Can you forgive me for my harsh words? I promise I’m here to help, not to scold.”

Glancing at the chest, a sudden idea came to Nari, and she pulled up her menu, scrolling through for a moment before pulling out a small box. Handing it to Cleo, she’ll wait for the girl to take it. “I think this may help draw the familiar in… maybe. It’s worth a try, at least?”

Nari Gives Cleo:

Music Box | Tier 1 Perfect Trinket | LD III

Nari-Lanreth | Lv. 32 | P. 6 | HP: 720/720 | EN: 76/84 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 147 | ACC: 3 | REC: 8 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 | STH: -5 | THORNS [72 DMG]

Spoiler

Word Count: 184

After hearing Nari's apology, Cleo stood still, chin tucked into her chest and her eyes closed. Was it worth holding a grudge over something so small? In the end, she knew the other Player's criticism to be wholly warranted, given Cleo had performed about as poorly as one could during combat. She knew that it was silly to hold hate for something so small. Releasing a sigh, she responded, eyes opening. "Yes." Realizing that Nari was offering a handshake, she reached across to complete the gesture. "I forgive you. Sometimes I take criticism too personally, but I fully deserve it in this situation. Let's face it, that was a 1-star performance from me." Finding the will to smile, she relaxed, feeling the tension ease just a little bit.

Seeing Nari's menu pop up, she watched the purple-haired woman bring out a little music box and, when offered the trinket, took it into her grasp. The item seemed to bring a degree of luck, at least according to its stats. "Worth a shot, right?" The box in hand, Cleo bent down and, after getting her bearings with the device, began to gently twirl the handle of the music box. A familiar-sounding instrumental played aloud and echoed throughout the halls of the ruins, reverberating and amplifying the volume just a little box. However, after a dozen seconds of playing, the familiar hadn't appeared. Cleo sighed in defeat, arms falling limp, and stood back up. "Damn it. There are some other parts of the temple that we can try if you're up to it?"

Before they started to head back, whether to explore the ruins further if Nari felt up to it or to retreat if their time had run out, Cleo walked over to the wooden coffer to inspect it. It was her second encounter with a chest—where the first netted a few rare items courtesy of her pink-haired friend, Rebekah—and she felt cautiously optimistic in her approach, anticipation in her eyes.

Inspecting it up close, she stood still, confused. "Hm. Hey, Nari? I don't think this chest has a..."

Click

"Lid?"

Cleo felt a vibration in her foot and, looking down, noticed a pressure plate on the floor after it was already too late. Suddenly, the ruins began to rumble as a fracture formed in the ground, draining the sand to reveal solid rock floors below. The crack grew into a crevice, breaking the ground like ice on the surface of a lake, extending past Cleo and Nari across to the opposite end of the crumbling temple. Rocks toppled from high above and crashed through the floor, and the crevice began to consume all in its path. The chest, parts of the walls, and, inevitably, the unfortunate souls who found themselves in its wake, everything toppled into the darkness below.

"Nari!" was the last thing that Cleo screamed before a rock from the ceiling struck her in the head, stunning the Player as she fell.

---

When the Players wake, they find themselves trapped in a secluded room, illuminated by torches perched upon pillars encircling the area. In the center, a stone pylon surrounded by crystals stood idly, with strange incantations carved into its surface. To the far end of the room sat a rock, and the peculiar health bar floating above it...

image.thumb.jpeg.382f434d3b1469d80f17c9198cb5dcab.jpeg

Edited by Them

She remembered handing over the music box. She remembered Cleo admitting that the criticism hadn’t been taken well – and as far as Nari was concerned, not given well either. She remembered Cleo attempting the music box and quickly giving up when the familiar didn’t immediately appear. She also, vaguely, remembered Cleo mentioning a chest without a lid.

‘So, where the hell are we, and why does my memory contain nothing about arriving here?’ The darkness seemed lit with artificial light, and she could see a collection of rubble that seemed to belong to a cave in, or collapse. ‘I’m suddenly… underground. Alright…’

Bringing up her map, she checked to see where they were. Unsurprisingly, it provided no guidance. ‘Alright… so not anywhere we’ve been-‘

“Shit! Cleo! Cleo where are you? Are you okay?” Suddenly remembering she hadn’t been alone, Nari began her frantic search, finding the girl not far from where she had awoken, still unconscious, but also still in one piece – and therefore alive. Rushing over she gave the girl a strong jab in the side, hoping to jar her awake.

Spoiler

Word Count:182

"Œuhhhhghh!" Feeling as if a blade was jammed into her sides, Cleo awoke with a gasp. Immediately, she fell into a coughing fit as a cloud of dust expelled from her lungs. Moving to quell the pain in her side, she realized the jab came from the pinched fingers of a Player who loomed over her, a look of concern stricken across their face. "Who? Wha?" A pain throbbed in Cleo's head, and she winced, reaching up to soothe her aching temples. She groaned, voice hoarse, and slowly laid back, trying to piece together what'd led to their situation.

Memories slowly returned like stills in an album; ruins, skeletons, chests, and a purple-haired woman—the journey through the desert, and before that, the scorpions. And finally, the one who'd come to Cleo's aid, Nari.

"Nari!"

Cleo shot forward, realizing who was beside her. "Nari! Nari, you're okay. Oh, god." The room was unfamiliar, dark, but with ominous lights flickering all around. Her breathing increased. "I'm- I'm okay. Where are we? Where- where's the temple?" She glanced upward; darkness. Rubble shifted around her as she pulled both legs in and, stumbling upward, managed to get onto her feet. Though her vision was blurry, she could make out the stout pillar in the middle of the room and the crystals decorating it.

As if on cue, a window appeared above the pylon:

---

To advance,
Perish that which glows.

Edited by Them

Nari’s gaze roamed over the room in question at Cleo’s question. She had no idea where they were, only how they had come to be here. It took her a moment to catch sight of the alert that appeared above the pylon, but as soon as she saw it, she stood and wandered over to read it. Cocking her head, she’ll turn to Cleo, waiting for the girl to right herself and join Nari.

“Any ideas? Clearly, we need to turn off…something. I assume the pylon, or maybe the crystals? I’m guessing mechanism hidden somewhere around here. Hopefully not under that.She’ll point back towards the collapsed ceiling with her spear, before smiling at the girl. “If it is, you’re digging it out.”

She gave a slight wink before turning her attention back to the pylon. Her searching capabilities hadn’t been something she had put any effort into – something she was now regretting as she cast her eyes around the room, looking for anything that would stand out…

Spoiler

Word Count: 168

Hefting herself over to Nari's side, she stared blankly at the pop-up window above the stone pylon, repeating the message to herself quietly. Though dazed, she surmised it must have something to do with the crystals, but what they'd need to do to them eluded her entirely. Listening to Nari's vocalized thoughts, Cleo turned, nodding in agreement to most of them. She laughed after looking at the pile of rubble on the floor and shook her head. "Excuse me? We're digging it out, comrade." When she tried to smile, the thumping in her head forced another wince, and she massaged her temples to soothe the ache. "The crystals. It has to be the crystals. Though, I don't know how we'd perish them..." For a second, she concentrated on the glowing rocks. They were oddly soothing, the gentle light not too harsh on the eyes and aesthetically pleasing.

Cleo scoured the ground for a sizable rock and bent over to pick the most suitable one up, a piece of the collapsed ceiling. "Gonna try something stupid—watch out." Targetting a blue crystal, she brought her arm close to her body, lined up the shot, and, without warning, let it rip with a slightly underwhelming throw. Despite nearly missing, the rock chunked the enormous blue crystal—revealing a health bar and a pink threat indicator, draining the former by a quarter. "Perish!" Her mind not all there just yet, she turned, arms throw up in exaggeration. "Destroy them!"

Edited by Them

Nari stared in pure amazement for a moment as the health bar and threat indicator appeared above the crystal. She had assumed that the pieces would be immortal objects, purely untouchable through conventional means. Shaking her head, she pulled her spear back, slamming it into one of the blue crystals that hadn’t been hit yet, watching as it exploded beneath her sword art strike.

Slowly, she turned to look at Cleo, a mixture of annoyance and surprise on her face. “I…can’t believe it’s this simple. This is not like Cardinal at all…usually it’s something far more complex, far more…well, deadly. For it to be this simple…no, there must be more to it.”

Her face held a scowl as she turned her attention to another of the blue gemstones sticking out of the pylon, slamming her spear into it repeatedly until it eventually burst into shards like the first. “Well, let’s get out of here then, shall we? Just…be prepared for anything to happen once we finish smashing rocks, okay?”

Spoiler

Word Count: 169

Cleo lobbed another rock at the mass of green crystals, breaking one and chunking the other for half its durability. She turned as Nari spoke, shrugging in response to the woman's confusion of the task's simplicity. Of course, she agreed. It felt out of character for the game to bless them with such a simple task. "Maybe this is supposed to be for a low-level quest?" It was the only reason she could immediately think of, and it explained why the game went through the trouble of setting up a trap for them in the first place, but not why the player who'd told her about it on the first floor failed to warn her about the collapsing ruins.

Heeding Nari's warning, she stood a little way back as it came down to the last crystal. Nothing about the room had changed just yet, but if their understanding of the riddle were correct, this would change with the final crystal's shattering. Rubble in one hand and her dagger in the other, she turned to Nari and nodded affirmingly. "Be ready." Waiting for a second to correctly line up the shot, she let loose on the final blue crystal and shattered the rock at its base, destroying it. The room grew dark without the crystals as the fire from the torches became the only source of light, but a message flashed above the tower, illuminating the area around it.

Light, Perished.

Suddenly, the message disappeared, and the pylon began to recede into the ground. The boulder blocking their way out of the room started to crumble and, a moment later, exploded into dust. Standing at the ready behind Nari, weapon raised, she prepared for the worst, for something to dart into the room and take them by surprise, but nothing of the sort came to be.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6c5389cdcc345b2030f7db32546ef42.jpeg

"Think we're good?" she asked Nari, stepping forward to peer into the corridor revealed to them. A faint blue glow hit the wall on the left, indicating a source of light waited on the right. Nothing else about the room had changed; thus, their only option for escape appeared to lie ahead.

---

The Second Room:

The room consists of a raised platform with 4 podiums at each corner. Each podium has a lever which, when pulled, will either alight the top of the podium with a blue flame, or put out the flame if one is already alight. The twist? Each lever will also affect one other podium, alighting or extinguishing the flame above it.

Once a correct configuration has been found and all 4 podiums are lit up at once, the lever mechanism will unlock and the door will open upon pulling it.

image.thumb.jpeg.725e6d1667c362a001d099807f90cd32.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.2f7e5cdd4f948d12777cc1aab623601c.jpeg
Edited by Them

“I…think we should be okay – but I’ll be honest, Cardinal is not doing what it normally would here, so I’m skeptical of…well, everything. Let’s proceed with caution.” She’ll cast a quick glance over the room they were in, her gaze trying to decipher something about the entire area, before returning her attention to their new destination. She could see the main raised area in the centre, the pillars around it containing the switches that would – theoretically, based off what she had seen, cause some sort of reaction within the room itself.

Throwing a glance towards Cleo, she’ll slide into the room before the girl – checking for any sort of dangers as she goes. Crossing the room quickly and carefully, she eventually finds herself on the raised platform itself – looking back at Cleo with a bit of surprise.

“I…guess it’s safe?” A quick look around and she decides it’s time to test her luck. Wandering over to the pillar closest to where they had entered – the one just to the right of the stairs leading up to the platform – she throws the switch, watching as a blue flame ignites beside her, the others remaining unlit.

“So…we just turn them all on and it opens another door? That seems…simple.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South-East Pillar Lit.

Spoiler

Word Count: 207