[PP-F22] Training Montage <<Training Your Friend>> (Nari)

Oji listened quietly, a solemn, but yet comforting wind lightly blew the trees as the talk of death approached the conversation on it's white horse. Oji hadn't truly thought about the deaths of the other players often, as he tried to avoid that part of this game. But, he knew it did exist. Her fear of losing someone on her watch, of a life being snuffed out thanks to a mad man's game, he knew that there as merit to feel such a way. But Oji knew that sadly, that was the price to pay for the freedom of countless others that were trapped within this game. It was either they ran free, using a ladder of bodies slain from the monsters of this accused code, or they would all join the pile as their bodies on the outside deteriorated and died from age, and their names forgotten on the tombstone of history.

"Death is... fickle." He spoke, petting Soup's head slowly. "It never chooses sides in a war, it instead reaps the benefits from both sides conflict. We have no way to control death, and the Mistress of luck likes us to always roll her dice." He watched as the sun started to eclipse over the horizon, the moments they had spent here continuing the march of time, even when they sat here and just spoke to one another. "But, I think we all have agreed that death to this game is a small thing compared to our families on the outside, watching us pass through time." He looked at his hand. "We have no way of knowing how much time has passed in the real world. It could have been but a few moments to us, but years or even decades." He chuckled. "I could have white hairs now, and a beard reaching all the way down to my feet. But I'll still fight so that the younger ones trapped here, they can go free and try to gain a semblance of a life on the outside."

The sun rays felt cold to Oji, speaking about such things. "Even if it cost me my life so that others may go free." He turned to Nari and smiled. "Then I'd be willing to pay that price. You young people have lives ahead of you that I hope you live well at the end of all this." He chuckled. "Having said that, it doesn't mean I'm willing to go down without a fight, and you best believe I'll go kicking and screaming." Soup gave a yawn, and curled into a ball next to him, and he chuckled. "I suppose it's getting late, seeing as Soup is ready for bed. Perhaps we can continue this discussion at a later date. For now, it might be best you get home before it gets too dark, don't want you getting lost on one of the other floors." He stood up, and held a hand out to Nari, and shook it gently. "Stay strong, and soon we'll be fighting with the others on the frontlines, and i'll be there to assist you as well as I can."

Nari listened as Oji talked, relishing in just the words. She found herself smiling – even as he spoke of the horrors of the world around them, and beyond. The ideas were something similar to her own, words that she herself had thought, if not spoken, before. Hearing them from another was comforting, even if she had reservations.

“I look forward to the day when we’re both on the frontlines together, Oji. I made a promise to another once – one whom I need to make amends with, to show that the promise I made still stands.” Her eyes close again for a moment as her head rolls backwards, the smile fading. We’ll fight this world, together. That’s what I said. And I intend to do just that, from now on.”

Opening her eyes and standing, she’ll take the proffered hand, grasping it gently before adding to her statement. “Perhaps one of these days you and I will meet on the front lines, at one of the boss fights. I would be more than happy to provide you my shield. Together…together we’ll defeat this world.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 183