[F1-PP] Secret Medicine of The Forest

Aincrad was looking rather fascinating as usual, the bright sun beaming down high up in the sky surrounded by a light blue sky with a few white fluffy clouds that seemed to be taken the shape of animals. A young slender seventeen year old boy wearing a black coat trimmed in fur around the hood with black jeans and black boots on. His hairstyle was a rather simple and hung down to his eyebrows. He walked around with his hands in his pockets and a small mysterious smirk on his face.

"I wonder if I should go ahead and take on this quest? I'd rather not do it for myself though...maybe I'll randomly bump into someone willing to take on the quest with me by their side." He stuck his hands outta his pockets and twirled around while throwing his hands up. "Gahh....such a nice day." he blurted aloud hoping a few others would notice him.

As I strolled down the path I was wearing my usual black ripped skinny jeans, black boots, and a blank shirt. I wore a thin jacket and my purple hair in a long messy braid. I opened my eyes to the sky, it was a glorious day, too bad it wasn't real. I looked ahead and saw a boy twirling in the middle of the path. I walked up to him, but stayed away hoping he wouldn't hit me.

While the young male kept twirling he chuckled slightly and noticed a girl in almost all black whom looked like an interesting human who was walking his way. He twirled towards her and grabbed her hand and twirled her around twice before letting go of her hand. The young male started to stumble from dizziness though he breaks free from being dizzy. He turned to the girl and threw his hand up. "Hiya.The name is Zauis.." he gave her a friendly greeting before taking a seat on the bench. "Hmm...you look like a low level. You up for doing a quest that'll benefit you maybe? If not, that's fine to." he muttered to the unusual girl.

My eyes rolled into the back of my head when he pulled me, and twirled me around with him. When he broke the connection I spun away but didn't fall. I smacked my hand to my head and opened one eye at him. He was a higher level yet he was on floor 1 still, why? I stood in front of him, refusing to sit down. I sighed, Ya I guess. What quest are we going on?

He noticed right away that the girl still had a perfect stance even though she had been twirled around. He clapped with an unusual facial expression. He grunted when the girl refused to sit, but rather stand in front of him like he was being interrogated. "I thought you were a more interesting human, turns out your just as dull as everyone other player." he threw a tiny insult her way to see how she would react. "Oh yeah, the quest.. it's called the Secret Medicine of The Forest. Something about killing this plant that'll give us this blah blah crap and we must return it to so and so. It'll take a while to reach the forest." he horribly explained before standing up and clapping his hands together. "Are we clear on the details? Good. Let's roll out." he uninterestedly said while sticking his hands in his pockets.

His sudden mood change, an annoying one, led me to believe that he was good at acting. I smiled at sarcastically responded to the insult. Why thank you, I eat extra bland brand no name cereal each morning!I made a stone cold serious face after that and started to think. I thought the quest sounded cool, getting to do an easy one such as this one will be fun.

A huge smirk appeared on the males face as he turned around and put his hands behind his head while continuing to walk, but backwards instead. "Wow extra bland brand, huh? I tend to stick with the frosted fakes." he threw his two cent in once more as he noticed her facial expression look beyond serious. "You're one of those females who act like they have a heart of steel, but in reality your just scared and put on an "act" to cover up your true self. Ahh....what a shame that truly is." he tossed his hands up and shrugged with a satisfying look on his face. "By the way....your name. What is it? And how do you expect to clear this death game when your as stale as a lays potato chip."

I for one don't act but you sir do, I say while lightening my expression. Was my face really that serious? I say inside my head. And if you know everything upon meeting a woman then what is my emotional scar? I ask with a smile, knowing he can't answer it. It was a trick question because I had no emotional problems. My life was good at home and it's good here too I guess. I want to make the most out of this experience and risk my life for others.

"Oh? I hadn't noticed I did. It's always nice to find out things about yourself. Are you sure your not just oblivious to the fact that you do act? The first thing a characteristic should have is acceptance. If you don't accept that you put on an act then how will you ever..." he decided to cut himself off because this female wouldn't accept her act anyway. He chuckled when she mentioned this emotional scar. "Whoever said I knew everything? And from the looks on your face you look like a well off kid with a family that's average. I doubt you have an emotional scar when your smiling like that. So cliche... " he muttered to the unknown girl while taking a deep breath. "Whats your name? How many times do I have to ask you this?"

I wasn't quite sure how to react to his rant. He was referring to me as a "female." I didn't like that but the only thing I thought was cool about him was his ability to insult someone, move on, and degrade their character like he knew them. Another thing I didn't like about him was he sounded like a teen counseling book, "the first thing a characteristic should have is acceptance!" I let out a laugh after imitating his voice in my head. I looked up at him and said, My name is Mayonaka. Now what is your name smarty pants? I said.

After he spoke to her on a somewhat serious note, Zauis noticed the female was being rather quiet like she had nothing to say. "Maybe she finally understands a little bit of what I'm trying to say" He thought to himself while placing his hands back into his coat pocket. "Mayonaka, huh? The fitting name for you. Smarty pants? Have you forgot that I gave you my name like ten minutes ago. Maybe your more forgetful than I am. My name is Zauis....got it memorized? Good. " he teased her slightly as they continued their path to the forest which was slowly nearing. "You're a strange girl....ya know that? How many friends have you made so far in sword art? And are you willing to die for them?" he questioned her like he was a cop in need of information.

I listed the names in my head. Let's see there's Ryu, Haine, Will, Caen, Rolland, Artorias, Primrose, Akumu... I could keep going on but I guess that would take an hour or two. I said. His next question was an easy answer for me. Yes, I am willing to die for every single one of them. Although people like Ryu and Caen will throw themselves in front of death before letting me die. I said confidently.

Zauis shrugged when he heard the first name and smiled once he heard the second name. "Ryu, huh? Me and him aren't the greatest of friends. And it's pretty fascinating that your friends with my fiancée. Who would've thought? The rest of those people you just named are people I've never even met or heard of. That just makes me all the more curious." he turned around and started to walk normally instead of backwards. He chuckled when the female answered right away and with a good answer. "Thats good to hear that you'll go to that measure to protect your friends. Humans are really interesting beings.." he spoke as if he wasn't human himself before his usual smirk appeared on his face.

This boy sure was strange to me. He referred to the people surrounding us as "humans." I decided not to ask any questions about the relationship between him and Ryu because I knew it had something to do with the past. Even if he told me, it wouldn't change a thing between Ryu and I. Why do you always smile? I say, kind of laughing of the inside. And here's another question, would you sacrifice yourself for others?

Finally making it to the edge of the forest were the small fight was gonna take place to obtain the weird medicine that came from a monster. He stopped for a moment to listen to what the girl had to say before they entered the woods. "Why not smile? Its better to live your whole life with a smile rather than a straight face or even a depressed one. It also attracts more humans your way because you look more carefree than someone with a straight face who look like they could take on the world. Besides, it's better to act like who you really are than to go around trying to be a "badass"." he threw up the quotations and shrugged while twirling around only to kick his right foot out. "Would I sacrifice myself to save someone? Sure, why wouldn't anyone do that? It does feel like your being used as a human shield to protect someone though and that's not too good of a feeling. And what if your sacrifice meant nothing? You saved them and died, but they die the next day. You lost your life for nothing. So I know I'll protect someone when I can understand the situation. Like what's after them or what boss their about to lose against. Meh..." The way the young male spoke was unusual because he turned his yes answers into answers that need to be thought out. "Moral of the story is don't waste your life because you only got one." he snapped his fingers and stuck his hands in his pants pockets and started walking again.

We were nearing the edge of the forest, close to the easy quest's task, I wasn't expecting much of it. I thought about the what he said about smiling, I guess I could try it. I mean I am mostly smiling all the time but when it's serious I don't really feel it would be the right thing to do. He did make a point about only saving people worth while but I didn't necessarily agree with him. Most of the friends I have made won't give up and die in this game, they'll stay 'till the end and take it down four leaps at a time. And what about how you feel after not protecting people? Wouldn't you feel a bit guilty knowing that you didn't do anything to help them? Quite frankly I'm known for my infamous creepy grin, I like to freak 'em out. If their a fluff ball and think I'm a stalker then they can go be with other people.I stare, making my point. I loosed up my straight face and grinned a little, like I usually do.

Zauis was literally waiting on May to bring up the guilt crap. Everyone he has spoke to always mention it and its really not even worth bringing up. He shrugged his shoulders and looked at May. "I knew you were gonna mention guilt. The thing is, is that it's your fault if you feel that way. But, you must understand that you can't possibly save every single damn human in this game. So why don't you all grow up and stop playing the damn hero all the time. That role is overused and frankly just sad. Dying for a human that'll just die a week later. I'll clap my ass off if you actually save them and live yourself though." he spoke in a serious tone which caused his smirk to disappear. "Ahh...who am I kidding? I don't give advice like that to people who'll just do whatever they want anyway. Humans can be pathetic creatures.. And I can totally tell your infamous with a freaky grin like that. That's not a good look for your reputation May." Towards the end of his comment he was being sarcastic as his smirk appeared once more. "Lets go locate this monster..."

I could tell he has experience with people asking questions but...it seemed like something else also. I couldn't quite but my finger on it so I decided just to forget about it. Did you just call me May? I asked. I only wanted to be the hero because I felt that they have done so much for me, I needed to return the favor. Of course I would feel guilty if someone died because of me but what he just said, made me think. Human emotions are decided upon the way you think about it. I said sounding like him. People choose to be the hero because they don't want to cower in fear. That's not me though. I protect people for the sake of what they have waiting for them back home and because mostly every person I meet has their whole life ahead of them, not that I don't but....I rambled on. I finally just laughed and walked ahead.

Suddenly the girl started to speak similar to him, but he knew what she was saying had a bit of truth but also a bit of false. He clapped his hands with his unusual smirk appearing on his face. "Yadda yadda... Maybe i should've called you Mayo-nnaise" he teased her slightly and rubbed the back of his neck. "Look...Human emotions might be the way you think about it, but it doesn't always have to be like that. Anywho, the people who choose to be the hero are the ones who do it BECAUSE they're cowards who are scared. They don't think rationally so they act like their the hero and strike in fear of what's ahead. Those are the ones who will die first. Maybe everyone has their life ahead of them, but that doesn't give anyone the right to die when you have just the right to live because you got people home wanting to see you. This is exactly why I'm a solo player so I don't hold too many ties because they'll get in the way sometimes even if having friends that can help you. It honestly has it's ups and downs in situations like these. And I'm not saying i'd abandon my friends for my own sake. I'll try to help, but if I see no hope then that's that. Sorry." He calmly said while clenching his chest and looking away. "This is a cruel world...and you gotta know how to play to beat the game."