[SP-F1] «The Cow's Counterattack» {COMPLETED}

I ran through the entrance of «Tolbana» at full speed, trying to make up the time I had lost over the first few days. My rhythm had been completely thrown off since the beginning, and shortly leaving «The Town of Beginnings», I made several mistakes. "I knew I forgot something... I should have picked up a «Steel Sword» when I passed through Horunka," I ranted to myself. Having destroyed my original gift from a random player, I now needed another «Steel Sword», due to the fact that I had received two orbs from the quest and wanted one sword per orb. What I forgot though, was that I had already had another 'ingot'.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The end result was a repeated visit half-way to the final village of the floor, a detour that cost me a good two days to make up for. The only good side-effect was that I was now level 7, and had all the materials to upgrade both my swords at least a couple of times each. That being said, none of that mattered, since all that mattered right now was...

Please let that room still be vacant!" Darting past the town center towards the east side of the village, I dashed into the farmhouse where an old lady, obviously an NPC, sat on a rocking chair. I turned to the missus of the farmhouse, and asked, "I'd like to rent the house, maximum time duration." "Maximum duration is currently 10 days, the price will be 1200 col, please confirm."

"YES!" I shouted loudly, as if I was declaring my victory over a floor boss.

Nothing like a good bath and warm milk... I thought happily. There were few things in SAO that were not exactly necessary, such as bathing and consuming good food. However, even as an addicted online-gamer, actually on the contrary - BECAUSE I am an online addict, I had a tendency to insist on the more enjoyable aspects of gaming. Even at the cost of leveling efficiency. "Sometimes I think to myself, all this is slowing down my leveling, but oh well.." I mumbled to myself, reassuring myself that I made the right decision, "now to solve my next issue, I need some good food..."

At this point, if Kayaba was actually monitoring my actions he would probably facepalm, watching me ignore all the quest markers and head back out of «Tolbana» towards the previous village. However, none of this would concern me, as my mission is simple.

An hour later, I stood in the middle of a field of cows, systematically taking them down one by one. I stood for a moment and scrolled down my menu to check my quest log. "«The Cow's Counterattack» was a simple quest, enter the pasture filled with «Mad Cows» and kill 50 cows." The quest was simple, and the reward was one of the best early-level treats - a pot of «Fresh Cream».

Most players would probably consider the reward a waste of time, as it yields no actual reward to leveling or equipment. However, since there was no way of logging out, the pleasure of enjoying food was, paramount. In other words, this quest was a straight-forward path to obtaining an unlimited supply of enjoyable food, if not for one complication...

"Uh-oh... here it comes" I gulped as I start running away from the pasture. The field was designed with a revenge counter, in that it would keep track of how many cows had been killed. Upon reaching twenty cows, a flag would be triggered, summoning a stronger monster. I hid behind a tree as I observed the monster that appeared, and realized it was the worst case scenario. «The Angry Bull», a field boss that had only ten percent change of popping due to the revenge counter.

In the CBT, I had carelessly triggered the condition, and was promptly one-hit KO'ed when I was impaled by the boss. I frowned as I considered my options. At this rate, I'll have to wait at least two hours before the boss mob disapears, but that would mean that I'm wasting at least another day on this quest. The other option would be to take it head on and try to take it out. I remember last time I was only level 5, so I might have a chance...

My thoughts were disrupted when I noticed another player character walking into the field, I immediately panicked as I saw the Bull had already charged towards the player. "WATCH OUT!" I shouted as loud as I could, simultaneously sprinting out from my cover. To my amazement, the player ran towards the Bull, and slid past it in the last moment. I drew my «Steel Sword», and quickly stood beside the boy who had also brandished his sword - a basic «Iron Sword».

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 30/30

BD: 0

"When it charges, we'll split left and right, and attack it as it passes" I commanded, and the other player, who was probably around my age, simply nodded. As expected, the Bull charged at us with blinding frenzy, barely giving both of us enough time to dodge. We dodged as two swords marks appeared on the Bull, causing it to roar loudly.

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 26/30

BD: 9

"I'll draw its attention as..." I sentence was cut mid-way, when I realized that the boy had already done what he planned to do. Using a sequence of light stabs and rapid footwork, the boy drew the Bull's attention, and gave me a clean shot at its weakness - the back. I didn't miss the chance, and quickly attacked with a series of quick slashes. As soon as the slashes connected, I jumped sideways into the air, narrowing dodging the «Rear Kick» that barely grazed me. Noting the ten percent damage despite successfully dodging, I finished my «Sonic Leap» on the Bull's back and jumped backwards.

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 23/30

BD: 10

"The Bull's attack is overwhelming, be careful!" I shouted, noting that the boy was dodging with deadly precision, using the «Minimal Side Step Defense» technique to maximize his chances to counterattack. However, in this case a single hit would be life-threatening, and priority should be put on dodging.

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 22/30

BD: 8

I charged forward as the boy blocked another «Ram» using his sword, and is sliding backwards even though he kept his balance. This time jumping onto the Bull, I perform a guillotine cut on the Bull's head, then stabs my sword into one eye. The beast roars in pain, then stands up throwing me backwards onto the ground.

PARTY

Echo - 14/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 22/30

BD: 1

My partner did not miss the chance, as he charged in and stabbed the stomach of the Bull, followed by an «Uppercut», and kickjump off the Bull's neck to create distance as the Bull fell. I noted that the Bull's health point had finally dropped to the last bar or its original 3, and that the Bull was about to enter its rage mode.

PARTY

Echo - 14/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 22/30

BD: 1

"Here it comes!" I shout, as I materialize equip my other blade. In the meantime, the other player replaces his one-hand sword with a large battle-axe. Re-positioning ourselves so the Bull is between the two of us, we waited for the Bull to attack and open itself to attacks. To our surprise, the Bull stands up again and stomps the ground with fury, the resulting shockwave disturbs the balance of both of us.

"?!" I was caught off guard as I had never seen «The Angry Bull» use such an attack, and barely noticed the Bull charging at me. Blocking the attack with my sword, I was sent flying into the air, and the Bull miraculously jumps off the ground to continue after me.

PARTY

Echo - 13/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 21/30

"Not good!" I exclaimed as I see the Bull about to impale me with its horns. Quickly doing a half-somersault, I grab the horns with my hands and pushed myself out of the way. I glanced at my partner who had closed the distance and was launching an attack on the Bull, giving me time to regroup.

PARTY

Echo - 13/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 20/30

Hitting the ground with a roll, I quickly jump away and throw my picks at the Bull, buying myself some time to make some distance. Grabbing a Health Potion from my belt, I quickly begin to replenish my health points which had dropped 100% down to 80%. Shortly after that, I saw that the Bull had knocked the other player away as well. Charging forward once again, I squarely blocked the attack that would have hit the boy square on.

PARTY

Echo - 13/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 20/30

BD: 3

"Fall back and POT!" I shouted as I struggled to stop the bull from overpowering me. As I noticed the boy had moved out of harm's way, I jumped into the air and used the bull's horn to perform a front handspring over the bull - grabbing my other blade in the process. The bull roared in pain as the sword was pulled from its eye, and once again pounded the ground, sending us onto the floor.

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 20/30

BD: 3

Now holding both blades, I considered my options, I didn't have enough time to put any weapons back into my inventory, but I did not want to use dual blade. In the end I decided to take a chance. Throwing the first «Steel Sword» at the Bull, I charged forward, drawing its attention. Taking the thrown blade in the neck, the Bull charged towards me, and at this time a smile surfaced on my face.

PARTY

Echo - 15/15

Unknown - ?/?

ENEMY

The Angry Bull - 18/30

BD: 9