[PP-F1] Comfort Zone (Mayonaka)

It had been over three days since the launch of SAO. And over those three days Hikari had refused to the leave the confines of the safe and comfortable walls of Beginner City. After all, as only a level one and with no prior knowledge of gaming, venturing past those barriers would mean certain death for the young girl. Even if that was the case, Hikari was beginning to get restless. Within those three days Hikari had seen the number of player deaths rise almost exponentially.

And that was what brought her to the edge of the city; standing still as a statue, gazing at the open grassland surrounding the city. In the distance she could see players battling low level creatures with practiced ease. Other players, much more confident ones, passed her both ways without so much as a glance.

Thought process moving a mile a minute Hikari continued to stand there for several seconds before taking a hesitant step past the barrier. Gripping the beginners sword that hung on her right hip tightly with her left hand Hikari, as nonchalantly as possible, strolled out into the grasslands.

I peeked one eyes open when the boy below me killed him boar. Nice, keep it up. I said cheerfully but I didn't actually care at all. I liked to encourage other players, it boosted their confidence. The boy smiled at me and attacked another boar. He landed on his butt and dropped his sword. The kid looked at me funny; I smiled at him. He picked up his sword and tried again. he killed another.

Next I turned my attention to a girl on the boarders of the safe zone. To me she looked scared out of her mind, she didn't want to come out of her safe area. I sighed and sat up on the tree branch I was just sleeping on. When I did this she equipped her sword and stepped out into the field. Impressive. I said and smirked. I knew right away that she was as determined as I was.

Swallowing the bile that had built up in her throat, Hikari continued out further and further from her city. But this time was different. Normally, when exiting the walls, she became more frantic and nervous the smaller the city became. This time however, her confidence began to sky rocket. Or to be more exact, her determination. Pretty soon after hers hands had stopped shaking and the dizzy feeling had passed.

It was only then that she felt the stare on her person.

Ignoring the fact that someone in the field was watching her Hikari found the nearest free boar and went toward it. What now? Going back and forth between the boar and the sword in her left hand she let out a sigh. Okay, let's try this. Without thinking too hard Hikari rushed at the boar in hopes of figuring something out. If it didn't work,well then, at least she had it's attention. Right?

My smirk became a smile when the girl, who was scared, now entered the field without looking back. She was more confident now and ready for the change. I hung upside down and watched her approach a boar. Oh, this'll be good. I said in my head and folded my arms, stilling hanging. She had her sword at the ready, I suspected her to at least hit a couple times.

Edited

Almost immediately Hikari felt the boar's attention shift from it's tasty grass to her. It's beady, crimson eyes glowed ominously as it shifted it's weight forward, enabling it's back legs to kick up dust from the ground as it pawed. Narrowing her eyes at the creature the girl shifted so that one foot was in front of the other. Mirroring the boar she too shifted all of her weight to the front of her body, leaving her back foot weightless. Bring the one handed sword up so that the tip was at eye level the young girl waited for the boar to make it's move.

And then It did.

Something suddenly took control of her body. Without so much as a second thought Hikari started charging the boar. Bringing the sword up, and then back down in an arc she felt the hit connect as they met in the middle. Or, at least she thought that the attack had. Upon going a couple more steps, and then swiftly refocusing her weight, Hikari turned to find that the boar was still alive and well. Blowing air out of her nose in a fusterated noise, she repositioned herself once more and readied the attack.

BlueMoon/Hikari (5/5) vs. Boat (3/3)

While I still hung upside down, something I did often, I watched the young girl fly at the boar. She didn't do any damage on her first hit but she had a great position. Nice. I said under my breath so she wouldn't know I was looking at the fight between her and the boar. The players around her were all at different levels. Some couldn't even hit and some killed the monsters with one hit. It was wonderful to have such variety in an "equal" place.

Pursing her pale lips in frustration, Hikari took another breath before readying her beginner sword once more. It was a stare down. Neither one moved as they both sized up each other in an attempt to find a weak point. Hikari was the first one to find it. Or to guess at it at least.

This time, Hikari was the first to charge. Since the distance between them was much shorter than before, she was there in no time; swinging the blade more toward the legs and knees of the wild animal. It made a loud squealing noise making her believe that perhaps some damage had been done. And much to astonishment, and happiness, it had.

Smirking slightly to herself she pushed off her foot, spinning back around, and then went back toward the beast.

BlueMoon/Hikari (5/5) vs. Boar (2/3)

Hit -1

Charging it at full speed Hikari raised her sword and then thrust it forward.

Once impaled inside the beast, then forced her arm to go up, tearing though the flesh of the boar in an instant. Then suddenly, the beast in front of her exploded into shiny, blue fragments that floated upwards before disappearing completely. A screen then appeared in front of her showing the amount of experience that had been earned as well as any rewards from the kill, not that there were any. It was her first kill ever, and it wouldn't be her last. Smirking ever so slightly, Hikari then turned around so that she was facing the tree only to find that upside down girl still staring intently at her.

What?

BlueMoon/Hikari (5/5) vs. Boar (0/3)

Boar Critical Hit -2

The amazing battle ended with a victory to the player who had just won her first fight. By the look on her face I could tell that she was planning to fight again sometime. I clapped slightly when she finished the boar so quickly. Still hanging upside down like it was a common thing, I replied. I'm sorry for being so stalkerish by watching you fight. Actually I watched a bunch of players fight here. I like to learn new techniques from different perspectives. You were really good in that battle, was it your first? I ask, trying not be too creepy.

((OCC: Just wanted to let you know that I am changing her name to Hikaru.))

The women who was casually hanging in a tree started talking to her. Shielding her sword Hikaru started over to the tree where the women was.

"Yes, it was." Hikaru stated while now standing a couple feet away from the seemingly carefree girl. "How could you tell?"

It was a legitimate question. If this women had been watching and able to tell that the most recent battle was her first, then it meant that she had some experience fighting out in these fields. Not only that but her plan was actually quick brilliant; sitting in a tree surrounded by tons of players one could learn a lot. Especially about a player.

Well I've seen you a couple times up there. I point to the border between the fields and the town. You haven't come down ere until today plus your stance was a little bit off. It looked actually really uncomfortable if I do say so. I congratulate you on your sudden bravery though! You were pretty awesome for the first try! I said with a smile on my face. The boy that I was watching before got hit in the stomach again, I winced but looked back at the girl again.

Noticing the girl's eyes dart over Hikaru's followed just in time to see a boy get hit in the stomach. Inwardly wincing at what probably didn't hurt she too turned her eyes back to the girl.

So she's been watching me.

It was strange that someone who had been out in the fields noticed her from all the way out here. People who had passed her several times a day still had not seemed to even remotely sense her presence. It was amazing really. At that moment Hikaru had decided to dub this girl 'The Watcher,' at least until her real name was found out.

"Thanks," Hikaru murmured softly while averting her gaze, more than slightly embarrassed at the comment. "Do you learn a lot while sitting out here and watching?" She questioned while running a quick glance though all the people that had gathered here today. Some were good, others' not so much.

Folding her arms across her chest Hikaru thought what it might be like to be in a guild. Generally, it was not really her cup of tea, having to rely on others to help you during quests and things like that. She had never even thought that a guild would want someone like her. But the question was that if someone asked her, what would she say?

Now was not the time to think about that.

"Learn how people react to the game?" Hikaru asked, tilting her head to the side in a questioning manner. "I am not sure I quite understand."

I thought of an easier way to explain this. It was hard because it was something only I knew. Well what I mean is when this game started most people were pretty happy with the game, knowing they could log out. Then Kayaba came and changed everything around, restricting players from leaving the game. He also enabled us to die if our HP dropped. After that the happy players either got scared, angry, or determined. I watch players like you come out for the first time, to see if they will like the game or still be a coward. You seemed to be scared when you started but now I can tell that you are confident with your attacks. I responded. Now that we started to have a conversation I unlatched my legs to the tree and flipped off of the branch, landing in front of the girl. Does it make sense or am I just horrible at explaining myself?

"You're making sense."

Throughout the conversation Hikaru had been intently watching, and listening, to what the girl was saying. Now that her findings were put like that it was easier to understand what she was talking about. Hikaru had witnessed exactly what the girl was saying within the city walls. Even watched as she herself went though the stages that the women had so accurately explained. All which lead her to his moment here and now.

"What do you do with this information?" Hikaru questioned, staring into the other girl eyes curiously.

What do I do with it? I tapped my finger to my chin and thought about how I should explain it properly. You see when they fight, I like to watch their fighting style and see if I could use any of their actions during a battle of my own. But, when I watch someone go utterly insane I try to step in and help them realize that they'll only die if they want to. It's confusing but I like for people to trust me more than I trust them, also, I want to help anyone I can. I explained my actions rather weirdly but I hoped she would understand me.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a nice person, but sometimes I reach out to players in here. I shot back so she wouldn't think I was weak inside. I had no intentions for anyone to think that I couldn't handle this.

This women was interesting.

Especially when saying that she was not nice, when in fact she was probably once of the nicer people that Hikaru had met. Few other players would reach out to those who had lost there minds to insanity. Mainly for the fact that self-preservation was a first. Players who go insane are liable to become player killers rather easily than those who weren't, even if it wasn't on purpose. Yet this girl was stepping in to help them, not kill them like most players.

"I am not so sure about that last statement," Hikaru stated evenly while taking interest in a player nearby, "but the rest of it makes sense."

Looks can be deceiving, that's the first thing you should learn now that your out of a safezone. I said with a smirk and stepped a few feet back. I wasn't trying to scare her, just give her a caution. I'm glad I make sense to someone..come to think of it your the first one that's ever taken interest in me stalking everyone. The boy had now defeated another boar, he was holding up just fine on his own for now.