[F1-PP] Hunger Pains (First Lessons)

As the others followed suit out of the mayors abode, Illi hopped from the surrounding wall and weaved her fingers behind her back. "So how much we talking, and how long is this going to take?" Before her composure soured, checking eyesight with Dimos. "You wish, be grateful if I decide to pick you out of somethings gullet. Dee-mos." A deliberate exaggeration of his name for added taunting. "Your too damn chipper." The girl shifted her laser focus on Enya, taking a mental note that she'd pocketed the parcel. "I totally will leave ya'll behind." reaching up and grabbing Ren's wrist and slightly pushing it toward something resembling vaguely accurate instead of right out the wall. "Minus you, stretch. Your my boulder. Wouldn't want me getting hurt all by myself, right?"

The innocent act probably wasn't getting her very far, unless he was real dense. Chivalry was exploitable though, and she'd take all the power she could get. Illi uses Ren's arm as an iron sight on a gun, shutting one eye and looking where he was pointing. "Lets hit him sooner then later, then I'll know where I stand. And maybe I'll share with you both." Offering a coy grin to Enya and Dimos.

"That is if your good meat shields."

Scampering ahead of the group, past a number of buildings labeled with swaying signs. Icons of hammers, needles, a stack of coins or what have you. Tolbana was quite the ripe location for quest targeting it seemed. But she finally finds their golden goose. A singular nightshade hanging out of a plant affixed to an awning, shifting to the sound of insistent hammer blows in sharp clangs. Whistling as she's the first inside, scanning a bright orange furnace and pulling her heeled boots back to dodge some showering sparks.

"Jackpot."

Edited by Illisandra
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Illi was definitely a bigger nuisance than most he had dealt with. He could feel his stress levels rising just by standing next to her. Made him want another smoke. Stepping from the building at Ren's guidance, they would make their way back outside. Opening the menu to find the map of the city, he could see exactly where the group needed to head and... it was not where Ren was pointing. Luckily for him, Illi was willing to steer that hand back into the right direction. 

A yawn forced his hands to his lips. A glance down at the watch on his wrist revealed that time was running short. A couple hours at best and it would be time to retire. Returning his focus back to the conversation, he heard Illi mention bodyguards again. "I've already made it clear that unless you're paying you can take all of your own hits." His voice sounded as if he was droning. 

Blinking, he would notice that they were now entering a building. A look to his map revealed they were still quite a few buildings away from where they wanted to be. "Nuh uh, no getting side-tracked." A tug on Illi's clothing would force her to reel back, showing just how little he cared for being a gentleman. "Our bad," he muttered to the blacksmith inside of the shop. The burly older gentleman wiped sweat from his furrow, confusion clearly detailing his face. 

Closing the door behind him, Dimos would continue the journey to the right location. He would need to keep in mind that his companions were directionally challenged. Illi was obviously challenged in more ways than that. 

Glancing back to see where the others were, seeing Dimos pull Illi back from the shop they were trying to head into. "I would touch her if I were you, might actually get a fist to the face." A grim smile toward Dimos. God knows he might actually deserve it for being so uptight all the time. "It's this way guys, I literally have it pinned on my map." Eyes back forward as foot fall in that guided direction. Enya wasn't sure what to think about these new people yet, but she sure was glad that she wasn't only. To be honest, this was suppose to be a whole new experience for her, a new normal given the circumstance. Wanting to make friends, not entirely sure how to and see the world through a different lens. So far, though it was highly disappointing. 

"We can probably grab armor from a different floor and cheaper rates. Those mooks are most likely selling at full value which I really can't afford right now." Enya calls this out as eyes start to veer off across all the varieties of buildings around. This place was truly amazing in more ways than one. 

Having been course-corrected by the sensible brunette, Ren was contented to know that someone in their group apparently had some sense of direction.  Goodness knew that wasn't him.  He used to get lost in his own own bedroom closet, and forget about any hopes at properly sorting his laundry.  His parents had people for that sort of thing.  Here, he had his own two feet and hands.  The thought made him appreciate having companions, no matter the sort.

"I can be the meat shield when the time comes."

Golden eyes widened.  He hadn't really meant to say it, yet couldn't stop himself.  A flick of his brow and the accidental declaration was accepted.  Future fight or flight had apparently been decided.  Now he just needed to figure out how to actually make that happen.  Hopefully he'd have some time.

"Good thing you know where you're going, Enya." His hand extended forward, he offered her the lead she'd clearly already earned.  "I'm on the lookout for gear myself.  There's a nice place to buy trinkets in town, The Evening Star I believe it was called.  Only a cat inside, but the workmanship on their goods was exquisite. Finding a decent blacksmith might be an important next step."

Ducking slightly to follow Enya into Zackariah's shop, a wild assortment of scents immediately assaulted his nose.  Some ventilation really couldn't hurt.  Words were exchanged, heated and possibly angry, but his head was throbbing too much thanks to the overwhelming odour inside.

The others were already chatting and complaining about something to do with fetch quests.  Whatever Zackariah had told them, apparently they now had some other intervening task to perform.  Pinching his nose, Ren clandestinely opened his UI again and confirmed the added step.  

"Great.  So, uh, weeds now?  I thought a quick grab and drop seemed far too easy.  Anyone got any hidden gardening talents?  Green isn't really my thing."

"Hey...HEY! Watch where your touching, suit. I'm not done here." The girl screeches as she clambers for anything she can grab that isnt taped down. Ending up with 3 nails and a bit of string, puffed out cheeks and feeling like an idiot a couple doors down. "I was looking for a plant." Illi scoffed beneath her breath, embarrassed by the mistake. "Armor? How bout we get paid before we try spending it, capisce?" Scanning the shop of Zackariah's with a irritated tone, her demeanor quickly shifts from one of anger to mischievous joy.

Slinking to and fro behind various glassware that makes her appearance seem oblong and stretched to high hell. Like a gathering of fun house mirrors. "Nice digs old timer." She eludes as she reaches out and taps on one of the alembics. "Where's your cauldron? Is that a recipe book? Lemme see..." Illi starts sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and Zackariah is forced to lift a small tome high into the air. Toning out the droning, eyes fixated to the book just out of reach as she swiped at it like a kitten.

Zack, was far too tall.

As the others wandered out of the shop, she couldn't help but notice she was being left behind. "Wait, damn it!" Her gaze jumping back to the NPC, she takes two fingers and points to her eyes before a quick snap points them back at a shocked Zackariah. She'd be back for him, and he was in danger.

"Wait weeds? I wasn't listening. We need weeds now. I thought we were just playing delivery boy. See I knew it was too good to be true." Cheeks puff out again, to symbolize her displeasure.

Edited by Illisandra

Enya's warning fell on deaf ears. If Illi was going to act like a brat, he was going to treat her like a brat. He was irritated that he felt like he was babysitting her. Babysitters charged quite a hefty amount after all and he had been left penniless. Ren had already begun promising her to be a meat shield. Boy was far more of a pushover than he had anticipated. No wonder why he hadn't managed to drive off Thing One and Two before their departure. 

Finally, they had come to the right location. While the others wrinkled their noses to a wave of new smells, Dimos didn't seem even phased by it. Instead, he simply walked in and began to check the place out. The shopkeep was an older gentleman, a tome of some kind in front of him and a vial of a curiously red color liquid in one hand. There was a problem with the setting, however. There was no bag of money. Instead, another job was handed off to them. He wasn't the only one that was a little upset with the matter. 

"I think it would be best to split up a little bit in the woods." The monotone voice suggested. In reality, he simply wanted to keep the other's grubby hands from his bounty. Creaking wood would be heard as he exited the building. Eyes surveyed over the walls to where trees surrounded the town. His hand raised to point at the nearest entry point. "We can exit there."

"Couldn't of said it better myself," saying under a muffled breath. Glancing at the other two and they seemed to be splitting from the group. Shaking her head, looking to Dimos. "Well, can chose to fight this entire time or work together. Honestly, I know the system. I spent years in the library surrounded by books." Opening her map, studying it carefully. Eyes switching between the landscape and the hologram. There had to be more to this man that just rudeness and heartlessness. Enya doesn't like being judged, she rather them get to know her and then they can't make all the rude remarks they want. 

"I could be your friend or your foe Dimos, I rather it the first." Eyeing one last time at the map, then the field, "Over here seems to be the best place to gather. Follow me..." saying as Enya starts making her way toward the middle of the small forest.

Enya gets down on her knees with a patch of herbs in from of her. Carefully pushing the soil away from the roots, Enya manages to get it up unscathed. "See, the best place. You try Dimos," as she crawls to another studying the plant like it was going to do a trick or something.

212660    1    7    15    5    Enya        First lessons gathering    2023-06-23 17:53:56

Obtains 1 material

Quest Loot:
1/5

Edited by Enya

Ren stared dumbly at the plant at his feet.  No matter how hard he pulled, the damned thing just wouldn't budge.

"Is this one not actually a spawn node or something?  I've yanked at it seven ways from Sunday and it just won't budge!"  Breathing heavily, he'd actually come within a hair of losing his grasp and flipping a full hundred and eighty degrees backwards.  Illi would never have let him live it down. 

"Isn't it weird how this game can turn crystals into sandwiches, or daisies into swords, but if you try to pick the wrong thing for the wrong quest it gives you the finger?"  Pulling again with all high might got him about as far as the last time he'd tried, which was to say: nowhere.  Meanwhile, Enya sauntered past and gently plucked what looked to Ren like a patch of weeds, only to have the signature game chime ring out mockingly in his face.

Gathering: ID 212672 | LD 9 (failed)

Quest Loot: 0/5

Edited by Rencesvals

Scanning Dimos carefully, "Oh no you don't fucker. You want a paycheck your helping." Before wandering into the woods with the other goons. She'd never admit it but these deeper parts give her the heebie jeebies, and all these people offered her a bit of comfort. Eyeballing a patch of what was presumably what Zackariah wants, Illi began to rub her hands together. "Woah woah, Powder puff no need to get your knickers in a bunch. I'm not that delicate that a few rogue remarks are going to make me break down in tears." Looking over to Dimos "Even if he is a dick, he's our dick now. At least until this is over, then he can go be edgy somewhere else. Maybe with a better suit." That same coy smile, salting the wound as usual. 

212674 5 9 9 6 Illisandra http://www.cydel.net/images/saorpg/diceroll/Msg_hover2.png Picking Herbs I guess (First Lessons) 2023-06-23 18:13:15

Leaning down and clasping the root, she eyes Ren. "You got to lift with your legs, Stretch. They get real in there." Speaking from real life experience and little did she know that it was a check or fail system. Grunting and pulling as hard as she could, as her feet began to slide in the muck. "Almost..." Before she ends up moving ass over teakettle and some soil rains down on her head. No plant, a hair full of muck she starts raking through it to remove the debris. "Son of a BITCH. That thing is in THERE." 

Edited by Illisandra

ID: 212679
LD: 17
1/5 Materials Gathered

There was something quick to be discovered about Enya that he hadn't picked up yet. She liked dealing in absolutes. Raising a brow at the ultimatum before him. "You don't have to be either. Friends are something you make when you don't care about the score. I like to be paid for my work. You don't get through life because of friends. You get through it with hard work." His monotone voice made that sound as if he was a robot attempting to indoctrinate her. His parents had done the same and so had he all of his life. The system worked, why attempt to make changes now? Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Regardless of his words, he followed Enya like a trained dog at her command to follow. He watched as she picked up an herb from a patch, carefully removing it from the soil to preserve the roots of the plant. "I can say, I don't think I've done a job like this yet." He kneeled down onto the ground, soil dirtying his pant leg. Following Enya's motions, he replicated her results. "Easy enough," he would comment before adding the root to his inventory. 

After some small readjustments in moving herself, hearing what the fella had to say, "To be honest, not sure I would really know the difference if it smacked me in the face." Glancing up at the man, "Can't say that I have either, but it seems pretty basic and straight to the point." Softly digging her hands in the dirt, another herb was protected. Holding it up in her hand to examine it, "You and friends don't have to be such a bad thing. Could just be a buddy that goes along with you to make quests easier." Putting the plant in her pouch. 

Squinting her eyes toward another target, "I never had anyone back home, just my butler than seemed to care about my wellbeing more than my parents did." Taking a small breath of the though, if she were back home she would be playing matchmaker... Shaking her head at the thought, movement is made toward the next objective. 

212690    10    7    20    9    Enya        First Lessons Gathering    2023-06-23 18:45:25

Obtains 1 material

Quest Loot:
2/5

Edited by Enya

"Easy?"  He stood, transfixed by the stupid spot of green at his feet that still refused to yield, struggling to grasp Dimos' meaning.  Drawing his sword, he poked at it, gently like he'd seen Enya do.  Somehow, that didn't seem to help.  "Am I just missing something?"  Scratching his albino mop didn't seem to glean any better ideas.  Following Illi's approach was strangely tempting, though not truly his style.  "Is it a matter of leverage?"  Peering down revealed no latch of release.  The damned this was just stuck, or painted on.

"Maybe over there would be better.  This one seems glitchy.  What's that about a butler?"  Was Enya from money too?  With all of Illi and Dimos' rantings, he confessed to having tuned out somewhat and chided himself for poor manners.  What would the peers say?

One deep and steadying breath later, Ren resolved to just keep trying.

"Can't you work hard and also have friends," he genuinely queried Dimos.  "I don't see how one excludes the other."

Maybe it's a plant-people thing?  Clearly he was not one of them.

Gathering: ID 212691 | LD 10 (failed)

Quest Loot: 0/5

Edited by Rencesvals

Illi's face contorts into a rather displeased outrage, raising up after getting all the soil out of her hair. Dusting off her behind and fixing her skirt. "Listen here you little shit." Yelling at the plant now, she spits in both hands before rubbing them together. The woman latches onto the stem and begins to heave and tug in the most sporadic and volatile way possible. Frankly it would appear as though she'd pull something other then a plant out. "What....In....The....Total....FUCK!" Illi murmurs between each tug, constantly redirecting and attacking from different angles. After a few minutes of the most suggestive and strained grunting thats when it hit.

*poot*

Immediately she lets go of the plant, turns beet red and glares at everyone. "You didn't hear anything. GOT IT?" she then proceeds to step away, trying to heal the horrifying damage to her pride having made a little fart. Girls don't fart.

212692 9 7 9 10 Illisandra http://www.cydel.net/images/saorpg/diceroll/Msg_hover2.png Picking Herbs I guess (First Lessons) 2023-06-23 19:20:54
Edited by Illisandra

ID: 212693
LD: 18
2/5 Materials found

Eyes trained on the young woman, he began listening to her spiel. Oh god, was she about to begin to delve into some sad backstory? He'd best attempt to defuse the bomb before it was too late. If only he had a smoke.... "Yeah, well I'm sure they were just busy," the dark-haired man replied as he watched her dig up another of the plants. "Besides, the butler was just doing his job. He was paid to care for you, don't mistake it for love." Harsh words were spoken in a monotone voice. He wasn't attempting to be an asshole, simply stating what he believed to be the truth. Consoling was not one of his strong suits. Thank god nobody attempted to pay him to be a counselor. 

Blue eyes glanced over at the other half of their 'team'. He would watch a moment in silence as the two struggled to pull their plants from the ground. Ren at this point had brought out a weapon. "Dude," he would chide. Demonstrating his method to the man, he would produce yet another plant from the ground. 

"Friends are possible, they just require a lot of work. Work requires time. Time equals money. Friends equal no money." The math was simple. 

A small sound was heard before a large outcry. Stifling the smallest chuckle, he would opt to strike while the iron was hot. "Careful, you're gonna blow my plants away." A sigh would finish off the sentence. 

Completely focuses... But not on the plants though, the root had snapped under her fingers, causing it to burst. Staying quiet for a moment. A bit of sadness washed over her face. "My parents were too busy ruling and trying to make me into something I couldn't actually be. I didn't have the mind set or the passion for it." Pulling her legs from underneath herself into a crisscross formation. Looking at the man now, "Reginal was more than just a butler to me. He wanted me to be happy, snuck me books and art supplies, even though he knew that my parents wouldn't approve. He thought I was worth it though..."

Sighing, glancing back to the plants, "Money can't buy friends nor be grown from them. I can say that friends can help you get money and other things that you need in this game. Survival game at its best, you can't live here and expect to go at it all the way alone." Getting up from the ground, patting herself off. "Friends may not be important to you, but you need allies to make it out alive Dimos." Walking to the man, opening her HUD and sending a friend request to him. "That is what I am offering, to be your ally, to help when it is needed. What do you say?"

212700    2    3    3    7    Enya        First Lessons Gathering    2023-06-23 19:48:32

Nada Found

Quest Loot:
2/5

Edited by Enya

Dimos' words sounded hollow, yet also tinged with desperation spoke about how he needed them to be true.  Had he also been betrayed?  Listening to Enya's plea and argument reminded him of the debate he and the others had the night before agreeing to enter this blasted game.  Friends and allies?  What did they mean when they turned against each other?  But going alone was also certain death.  What remained?  What path could be walked under such circumstances?  A butler's grace.  A fart in the wind.  A price to be paid.

"Heh. So that's the trick."  The words were meant only for him, but escaped nonetheless. Kneeling down, Ren pressed his palms to the earth, cupping them around the fragile stem of a simple red flower with a black centre.

"Thank you, Flanders, for the reminder."  The words were barely a whisper. Cradling the poppy, he tugged it with the slightest force and felt it give.  Peace and serenity followed, in a reminder of lessons already learned once.

"Try over here," he hollered more loudly, making no mention of his thoughts.  Reaching out as a butler might have done, minding no farts and choosing to pay the price for someone else's benefit.  "I have a better feeling about this place."

Gathering: ID 212701 | LD 18

Quest Loot: 1/5

Edited by Rencesvals

OOC: We should have bought that tent, we live here now

Most of the group had moved on, but Illi with her scarred pride would not let this damn thing get the best of her. Kicking Dimos in the shin as he passes by. "Rude. I said forget it. Never happened." The girl still looked appalled by the sheer embarrassment she'd experienced due to such a menial chore. While the others were so easily defeated, Illi began to size up her opponent. This was about to become the battle of the ages. Inspecting it carefully, twisting the leaves and looking down the little pock mark where the root was poking out. If brawn wasn't the trick then maybe brain would do it. It was a severe waste of her talents but this thing had bruised her ego and it was not about to get off scot free. "Can it with the carebear crap. We're friends now help me finish this so I can go home and take a bath."

212707 4 6 5 6 Illisandra http://www.cydel.net/images/saorpg/diceroll/Msg_hover2.png Picking Herbs I guess (First Lessons) 2023-06-23 20:47:54
Edited by Illisandra

ID: 212733
LD: 9
2/5 Materials found

Listening to Enya speak, it was obvious that she was much younger than him. That spark of hope for the world and what it had to offer remained lit inside of her. Was he going to allow himself to be the one to stamp it out and make her face reality? A sigh would be heard escaping from his lungs. 'Damn, kids are tenacious as hell. I need a smoke.' Blue eyes would meet with Enya's chestnut before he spoke. "If it pains you that much we can call each other business partners. Other than that, you have two misconceptions. One..." he raised his index finger counting his points. "I don't place myself in dangerous situations where I need friends to survive. Two..." Another finger rose. 

"The best way to stay alive is to do how what you're asked and keep yourself out from under the top dog's feet. Long as you're not an obstacle you should do fine." Find yourself in their path and you would get mowed over. Making too much of a name only painted a target on one's back. The place to make plays from was the background. 

Enya couldn't help but smile. This man seemed to know what he was doing, "Smart, I haven't been in the real world much, not really." Enya started recalling some of the books that she had read, every main character in those books was dumb and always put themselves in situations that were dangerous. "I guess I've been living in a fairytale world where nothing bad ever happens. I have never had to make that tough call." A leaf snapped beneath her finger... A dumb founded looked crossed her face.

"When I came into this game I thought it was going to be fun and exciting, but it turned out to be life and death instead." All that time in the library here, "It made me start thinking rationally, how to survive at every waking turn. Heard mention of gossip about orange players killing other for fun or for the loot that they had." Holding out a hand in front of her, palm up, folding those fingers into a light fist. "This game is the closest I have been to real life, any tips you can give are much appreciated Dimos. Thank you..." Glancing at him, then back at the herbs, "I am going to move to a different patch, this one seems to be flawed," as she get to her feet and starts looking around for another gathering node.  

212734    3    7    6    10    Enya        First Lessons Gathering    2023-06-25 08:29:07

Nothing...

Quest Loot:
2/5

Edited by Enya

Ren's brow furrowed.  

"Did you just..."

You could practically follow the mental math as he struggled to explain what Dimos was saying.  Sure, just following orders made sense to the guy barking the orders, but didn't that also paint a bullseye on that same guy?  Dimos didn't strike him as a responsibility-taking sort.  He was more akin to 'blame management.'  Or, maybe, he'd just read him wrong during their brief time together.

Illi was fully engaged in a titanic battle of wills with the same batch of dandelions he'd just given up on.  Something, something about unstoppable forces and immovable objects.  The only thing Ren knew for sure was that there was little point in placing yourself between them, at least needlessly.

"Watch yourself, Enya.  Player killers are real, and they don't pull their punches."  The tone of his voice told the truth of it.  He'd already lost people to that blight; too many and for no good reason.  "We all profit by working together.  Going to the dark side only makes you fodder for others who'd just as easily shiv you the moment you turn away."

Lost in thought, Ren barely paid attention as he snared and casually twisted another root.  The system ping for quest collection achievement brought him back to reality.

"Hey... waddaya know..."

Gathering: ID 212735 | LD 18

Quest Loot: 2/5

Edited by Rencesvals