[F01-SP] EAL: Digging Up Dirt to Forge Anew

In the aftermath of his forays into the wilds west of Tolbana, Ren made his way back to the village.  Raw materials recovered from Terenzio’s mine would provide a decent base upon which to build.  Sakata’s own past experience served as added benefit, but beyond that point he needed practice and tutelage.  

A few well-placed enquiries point him towards the best-suited option.  In actuality, he was the only option, which became apparent the moment Ren stepped into Tolbana’s smithy.  The shop was well-appointed, but its current master was less impressive.  Young and barely past the rank of apprentice himself, Callum was well-intentioned. He just needed time to mature.  There was their kinship.  

"Can I help you with something?" Callum asks as Ren enters.  Ragged and disheveled, the man looks like he’s been through his own ordeals of late.  A thick leather apron worn with age sits proudly on display above his head while the one upon him was nearly new.  Succession, and most likely only recently.

“I’m hoping so.  It’s my hope to become a blacksmith, and have you be my teacher.”

Consumes Gelato (LD 3) - https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/20186-fr10-cookpk-shop-open/?do=findComment&comment=672905

Rencesvals | HP: 40/40 | EN: 22/22 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 2 | LD: 6

Spoiler

Rencesvals
Level: 2
Paragon Level: 0
HP: 40/40
EN: 22/22

Stats:
Damage: 4
Accuracy: 2
Loot Dice: 3+3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Joyful Tribulations | ACC 2
Armor: Music Box | LD 3
Misc:

Skills:
Straight Sword R1

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions x2
Field Ration x0

Callum guffawed at the bold and ridiculous nature of the request.  Wiping grit and sweat from his brow, he set his wrought iron tongs down on the anvil and turned to face the new arrival.  

“Teacher?  I’m barely more than an apprentice myself, and hardly suited to take one on myself.”

The forge behind him was cold and dark.  The crate of raw iron ingots at its side was nearly empty and coal stores equally depleted.  As a shop, this place could barely be considered viable, let alone functional

“Perhaps,” Ren replied, “But you’re the only such craftsman in town, and most of the shops in the Town of Beginnings have closed.  Alternatives are few and far between.  Ready or not, I need you.  Also, judging by the state of this place, you also need me.  Doesn’t that seem like a strong basis for an arrangement?”

Callum’s face betrayed continued skepticism.  “That’s a lot of words.  I trade in actions.  Show me that you have some inkling of skill and I’ll consider it.  Fetch me a supply of coal from the deposits to the east.  My stockpile is exhausted.  I can’t teach you anything until the furnace is restored anyway.”

ID 212779 | Gathering LD 13+6=19 | CD 3 | Find 1 material
(R1 Forager; +5 EXP)

Edited by Rencesvals

“Done.”  Ren offered his hand in friendship.  

Doubt still in his eyes, Callum grasped it firmly.  Something about Ren’s confidence caught his attention enough to give him a chance.  Grabbing a few heavy sacks from beside the forge, he left the shop with a spring in his step and clear goals in sight.

It was a short and well-traveled walk to the coal fields.  Tolbana had clearly relied on them for a long time.  It was an open cut pit with large deposits readily accessible from the surface.  Local usage was automatically replenished by the system, making it an effectively infinite supply.  Such were the economics of an MMO.  It wasn’t a matter of depletion, but of control and scheduled extraction.  Tools were left in a small wooden shed by the edge of the pit, which itself was little more than thirty feet across. Ren set to work without hesitation.  They’d burn through a small supply very quickly just to stoke the forge to proper temperature.  

“It might take a few trips.” Grunting as the pick plunged into the sooty black rock, Ren took care to keep his face covered with a dampened cloth.  The dust was not likely to carry the same effects as in the real world, but that hardly made it pleasant to inhale.

ID 212780 | Gathering LD 9+6=15 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+13 Forager EXP
3 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

“I wonder what became of his father?”  It was a question for the sky, not truly expecting an answer.

“Old age and a worn out heart,” came the unexpected reply.  Another man, older and with grey wispy hair sticking out in odd patches from all side of his head sauntered up to the pit with his own pickaxe in hand.  “Alaric was a good man, and a good father.  He served the village well for a long time.”  The stranger moved to work the other side of the patch with a practiced hand.

“Ren.”

“Gaspard,” came the response. Formalities were thus easily settled.  It was all that either man required.  “You seem to know your way about a dig, but I don’t know you.  What brings you to Tolbana?”

“Knowledge, and training.  I’ve asked Callum to teach me his trade.”  Gaspard chuckled in response.

“The boy barely knows himself.  Are you sure this is wise?  Are there no others who could train you?”

ID 212781 | Gathering LD 18+6=24 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+21 Forager EXP
5 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

“Let’s just say that it’s out of my hands.  Destiny or necessity governs, if you prefer.  My path is through him.”

A snort and spit were Gaspard’s response.  Acceptance, rather than insult.  Ren took it for how it was meant.

“How long ago was Alaric’s passing?”  Returning to his task, this conversation had instantly become the meat of chatter between coworkers.  Certain things were understood, including the casual exchange of common information.

“A few months, I think.  I don’t really keep track of the days.  There was some sort of trouble with Dorian first, as I understood things.”  That caught Ren’s attention.

“What kind of trouble?  Word was that he also had some loan issues with Zackariah.  We helped sort that out, but it sounds like there may be more to whatever is going on.”

Gaspard just shrugged.

“If there is, it’s all above my pay scale.  I just keep the stoves warm in town.”

ID 212782 | Gathering LD 15+6=21 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+29 Forager EXP
7 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

“Sounds a lot like local politics to me.”  Ren didn’t approve, but he understood. You didn’t run a business in the resource sector for long before running afoul of this sort of thing.  He’d seen it far too many times, and far, far worse.  

“Dorian ain’t stupid.  People think that because he runs a small place like this that he can’t have ambitions.  He’s always dreamed of moving on to bigger fish.  Who knows what games he might play to try and get there?”

The steady sound of picks and shoveling gave cadence to their speech.  It was rhythmic, even soothing in its own way.  Tongues loosened in the face of routine, and Gaspard proved no different than most in this respect.

“I know the type.  If it’s who he is, then he’ll step on whoever he needs in order to get what he wants.  No exactly the noble type.”

A grunt came as Gaspard’s only reply.

ID 212783 | Gathering LD 12+6=18 | CD 10 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+37 Forager EXP
9 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

“What’s your story then?  How did humble Gaspard come to this glorious state of affairs?” A shovel’s dose of powdered blackness rained down over his 

“Oh dear,” came a predictable not-even-a-little-bit sorry chuckle from over Ren’s shoulder.  “Didn’t see you there, m’lord.  Shame about that.”

“Don’t get your nose out of joint, Gas-” Another wave of sooty soil came flying at him, forcing Ren to turn away, laughing and coughing all at the same time.

“Okay!  Okay!!!  I get it," came hacking laughter from within the resulting cloud.  "Just tell me the story already, before I return the favour.”  A black haze clung thick in the air, concealing them from each other and granting Gaspard the anonymity he apparently required to tell his tale.

“I served in the militia for a good long while, until things went old on me and I had to find somewhere else to get hurt.”  Ren only just noticed the hump on his back, likely from a poorly healed injury or some form of progressive degeneration.  “Stuff still needed carrying, and I could still manage.  Seemed like a decent fit.”

ID 212784 | Gathering LD 18+6=24 | CD 11 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+45 Forager EXP
11 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

A simple grunted understanding and acceptance was all Gaspard would have wanted and expected.  It's what he got.  

"Is there anything I can do to help?"  It was doubtful, but Ren felt an obligation to make the offer.  Politics weren't really his arena, and Dorian would surely have covered all the angles.  But if it made his newfound friend feel better, it was worthwhile.  Wiping the sweat from his brow, the last of the sacks he'd absconded with from Callum's shop was unfurled and made ready.

"Nah, Ren.  I appreciate the thought, but this is just the way things are.  Always has been.  When Dorian leaves, another like him will come along."  Scuffing metal against earth served as a poignant background.  A grimace and furrowed brow.  It felt wrong - unjust.  Why did the same pattern always need to repeat itself.  A sigh escaped Ren's lips.  How could he get indignant?  His own family were part of the 'haves', taking advantage of the 'have nots' to maintain that status.  

ID 212785 | Gathering LD 5+6=11 | CD 4 | Find 0 material
(R1 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+48 Forager EXP
11 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Solace could be found in the crucible of labour.  Though he doubted this body could ever develop callouses to warrant earned experience, Ren could at least acknowledge his own effort.  How he treated people mattered, be they players or NPCs.  It said something about you.  In a world gone mad, what else did they really have to define themselves with but their own principles?  Charlemagne's peers might well approve.

"I'll do what I can, my friend.  Maybe it will even amount to something."  Planting his shovel in the softened black chalk-like surface of the pit, Ren wrapped and tied the sack to keep its contents contained.  Tossing it and the others under one arm and the other shoulder, he made ready to depart.  "I wish you luck Gaspard.  Keep the lights on as long as you can.  Sometimes, that's all any of us can hope for.  It's been good speaking with you."

A stained linen sleeve wiped the old man's brow, gnarling bushy eyebrows and polishing the few hairs left dotting his balding scalp.  A toothy smile laden with sincere appreciation beamed back Ren's way.  

"Aye, young master.  And to you also.  You're not entirely useless.  Keep it that way."

ID 212786 | Gathering LD 1+6=7 | CD 11 | Find 0 material
(R1 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+51 Forager EXP
11 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

The return trip to Callum's shop was unexpectedly introspective.  Digging wasn't usually quite so philosophical.  Ren stopped dead in his tracks at that thought.

"Who am I trying to kid?  This is me I'm thinking about.  When is anything NOT philosophical?"  The weight of Ren's load increased by the imagined additional burdens, causing his shoulder to slump slightly.  Groaning at his own habit of overthinking everything, he settled on making the rest of his way back in silence.  The sun had made good time as it traveled its daily sojourn, settling into the late afternoon by the time Ren hefted the heavy sacks into a pile next to the forge.  Iron squeaked in protest against iron as the furnace's hatch was opened and he began shoveling coal and kindling inside.

From the far side of the shop, Callum watched in silence, a small satisfied smile struggling to remain subdued upon his face.  Ren hadn't stopped, nor asked for instruction.  The smith appreciated determination, ingenuity and initiative.  That haul would not have been easy, yet Ren persisted.  It spoke volumes to his character, at least in the blacksmith's own private counsel.

ID 212787 | Gathering LD 9+6=15 | CD 9 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+59 Forager EXP
13 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

"Are you sure that you're ready for this?"  Callum watched as Ren summoned a variety of ore from his recent trove of samples collected at Terenzio's mine.  Examining each in turn, he sorted them by obvious criteria first, then took out his trusty claw hammer to chip away at those with less obvious natures.  Peering down the length of his hawkish nose, Ren looked more like a lab tech than a traditional craftsman.  All he was missing was a pair of slender spectacles hanging off the tip of his nose with a holder strap around his neck.

"I think I have enough iron ore to give this a shot, but some of these traits are completely new to me."  The fantastical metals were the hardest to gauge, and his hangup on assuming that everything in game would behave exactly like it did in the real world.

"That's not exactly what I meant," Callum said, gravitating closer to his unofficial apprentice.  "Smelting any kind of ore takes a long time, by which I mean a LONG time."  Golden eyes watched while their housing swiveled to listen.  He'd clearly garnered the smith's interest, without quite knowing how he'd managed it.  

"Forty to... actually, how long?  Whatever I've heard or been told is likely out of date, and I'm here to listen and learn."

ID 212790 | Gathering LD 1+6=7 | CD 8 | Find 0 material
(R1 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+62 Forager EXP
13 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

The answer felt like forever, especially after a day's backbreaking labour collecting coal.  Charcoal would have been better, but they didn't have time to process that from scratch on top of everything else.  The sun crested into darkness and made its full journey back to the far side of the floor before it was done.  Both men took turns working the bellows to keep the furnace at temperature.  Like the steady pitch and shift of shovels with Gaspard, Ren found a similar rhythm when working with Callum.  More akin to a pulse than a musical beat, it still provided cadence and timing.  Ren found it soothing, in an exhaustive sort of way.  More than a few silent murmurs offered prayers of thanks to Hephaestus or Vulcan, or any other crafting gods that might be watching.  Surely one of them had a hand in extending Cardinal's pain suppressions systems to such backbreaking labour.  It was still barely enough to keep him standing, feeling like his avatar self was being baked in the constant radiating blaze.  

Chirping birds were the first sound to break their steady tempo, the sun poking its eyes over thatched roofs and the odd, swiveling metallic rooster, while their realler kin signaled the new day.  Bearing heavy iron tongs in hands snuggled inside the ugliest pair of oven mitts Ren had ever seen, Callum delivered their prized lump of liquid sunshine to the anvil.  Both men's brows were a mess of sweat, soot and slag, and the true work had barely begun.

"Now, let's see if you can actually turn this into something."

Cracking a satisfied grin and looking decidedly less tired than the player, Callum grasped a nearby hammer by the head and twisted its wooden haft around towards Ren.

ID 212791 | Gathering LD 13+6=19 | CD 12 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+70 Forager EXP
15 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Ren's first strike could have gone a lot better.  Even Callum cringed watching the molten metal give awkwardly.

"Err... gimme a minute to deal with that."  Wandering back to the furnace and bellows, a little master-level crafting magic salvaged their efforts from the brink of total failure.  The white-haired player signaled sheepish thanks.  This was officially way outside of his wheelhouse, but it still felt exhilarating to be trying his hand at a craft so far beyond his past experiences.  

"Thanks Callum."  A nearby rag mopped his face, smearing the grit around more than wiping any of it away.  The gesture meant more to him than the actual results.  "I appreciate the help." A grunted reply was imagined but couldn't be heard over the pumping bellows and crackling of embers.  It took only a few minutes before the hot iron was back on the anvil.

"Again," the smith's resolve demanded. "Be firm and focused on your goal.  Picture the end goal in your mind and shape the metal towards it one blow at a time.  Don't think too much.  Just do it."

He has no idea what he's asking.  Don't think?!  Not my strong suit.

"Got it." Clanging of metal on metal replaced the earlier rhythm.   That's the key.  I need to focus on that pattern and sound.  The actions just follow.  Losing himself to the percussive beat of hammer blows, Ren worked himself to the verge of collapse.  Elation swept over him when his teacher raised a hand to signal a halt.

"That'll do, Ren.  You did better than I on my first try.  Keep at it."

The thing between them was sword-shaped... ish.  Sorta.  In that 'almost-could-be-one-day-if-it-tried-really-hard' kind of way.  Ren's eyes shone like a toddler who'd just discovered how to glue popsicle sticks together for the first time.  Not a masterpiece.  Not even close.  But it was something.

ID 212792 | R1 Blacksmithing (Straight Sword) | CD 2 | Fail (-1 mat)
ID 212793 | R1 Blacksmithing (Straight Sword) | CD 10 | Success (-1 mat) - T1 Uncommon Straight Sword

Total:
+70 Forager EXP
13 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

That was the moment his knees decided that screaming was getting them nowhere and just chose to collapse.  Suddenly supported by Jell-O, Ren wobbled his way to an adjacent bench and lay himself down on his side.  Callum just laughed, in a loud and heartfelt manner unlike anything Ren had ever heard from him before.  Grabbing a jug from the far side of the smithy, the master drank deep and kissed his teeth sharply as steam literally rose from his skin.

"I thought you said you hardly knew what you were doing," Ren laughed back, feebly.

"Of course I did.  Do you have any idea how many people come wandering in here every day demanding the very same thing you did?"  His eyes twinkled with raw mischief as he spoke.  Ren paused for an instant, then laughed even harder.  The bench collapsed beneath him in protest, increasing the cackles to pure uproar.  Momentarily eclipsing the still-rising sun that hovered painfully between the building's low roof and horizon, Ren felt more than saw the rough, muscled hand that grasped his arm and pulled him back to his feet.  

"Only those with the right mettle even get to take the test," he said, patting Ren on the shoulder as he casually returned to the work he'd previously left behind.  "You showed me that you were actually willing to put in the effort.  Actions count for a lot.  Now, get the heck out of here and set yourself up somewhere else.  I don't need any competition in my town."

Ren just grinned, but accepted the request.

ID 212794 | Gathering LD 17+6=23 | CD 4 | Find 1 material
(R1 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+75 Forager EXP
16 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

It was a far cry from what he'd envisioned, but the blade mirrored his own circumstances perfectly: it had raw, untapped potential.  With time, seasoning and continued refinement he and the weapon could both improve into something that could make a meaningful difference; something worthy in a world that grew dimmer by the day.  He'd witnessed it first hand.  Hope faded just a little more with every sunset and name that etched itself upon the stone face of the Monument of Life.  It had to end.

"What should I call you, I wonder?"  A twist of his arms caught a flash of sunlight. "Every sword aspires to be part of a good legend.  Whose should we draw upon to inspire yours?"  Holding it to the sky, the flat lacked proper shine.  It was nothing that a good polish couldn't help.  "Excalibur's a little too proud and cliche, and likely been done to death a thousand times over.  The Norse had plenty of magical swords, but that feels like cheating on the pledge that the others and I made when we entered this cursed place."  A few test swings suggested that the balance could be improved.  "It needs to be something that holds our foes' attention in battle.  Something that could rally a battle cry.  Joyeuse?  Not really the right vibe."

ID 212795 | Gathering LD 16+6=22 | CD 2 | Find 1 material
(R1 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+80 Forager EXP
17 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Still holding the sword aloft, Ren's vision moved past it to focus on a simple stone shrine several dozen yards directly behind it where the road forked.  Most of the detail had long since been worn away by wind and rain, but the basic form could still be deduced.  A figure arched over the small central sanctum, wreathed protectively around it like a parent cradling and protecting a child.  Gashes suggesting a wound were obvious on the exposed side.  "A parent's ultimate sacrifice."  Things suddenly became real.  Drifting his gaze to the shrine itself, Ren saw the tiny, faded swaddling cloths still lovingly folded beneath a crop of purple anemone with black centres.  A lump that shouldn't be possible caught in his throat.  On the far left, a hilt could be seen caught beneath the shielding figure's form.  Flakes of copper long since turned to verdigris traced long tears down the grey stone plinth beneath the shrine. Ren tipped his nascent blade to touch the sword to the shrine blood-like patina.  The name came instantly, and a promise.

"Durendal, the binding blade that endures all pain and cuts through stone like water, whether by time or pure force.  Let anger and grief be tempered in the same fashion."  Pausing for a moment to collect himself, golden eyes also paid homage to the shrine itself, wondering why such a thing would every possibly be found in Aincrad.

ID 212796 | Gathering LD 2+6=8 | CD 12 | Find 0 material
(R1 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+83 Forager EXP
17 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

A cry in the sky broke his attention.  Some bird of prey had likely found its prey, reasserting the world's forward motion in the process.  It carried the call of fate or destiny.  A determined smirk and infectious drive instilled, Ren strode path the monument with his decision made: taking the right path.

It was nearing end of day by the time he reached the Town of Beginnings, his destination rising prominently in the distance.  No mysterious stranger tripped him this time, as he passed the gate.  He carried no apples to give away of be plundered.  The orphans would be settling for a meager meal by now before being sent to bed.

Could players actually have children in here?  The thought itself was disturbing.  Would such children be human or NPC, or even something else?  The implications were staggering enough to halt his stride and make him wonder.  Would this world continue if the last of us falls?  Giving his head a shake, Ren resumed his pilgrimage.  Something made him want to see them: the names of his fallen comrades.   

ID 212797 | Gathering LD 13+6=21 | CD 10 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Total:
+91 Forager EXP
19 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

It would have taken a stranger ages to find each one, but Ren knew precisely where to look.  They were lost among so many now. 

Valmy, the rebellious teen genius from Osaka.  He'd made it to college a year early by virtue of sheer overflowing talents.  The boy could never sit still, follow orders or stay with the team.  He was always the wildcard, driving Austerlitz crazy with his half-assed lone wolf schemes.  You couldn't really call them plans, given how haphazardly they unfolded.  More than a few objects had been tossed at the back of Kobayashi's head when he went rogue in a shooter game.  Everyone still loved him, despite it all, and he was a good friend.

Magenta, the quiet, gentle flower of their group.  She was too kind and innocent to be in a place like this.  Lured by the games amazing concept art and promotional materials, she'd never been quiet as much the gamer as the rest of them.  Her energy more often found itself expressed through her sketch book than her button-mashing skills.  But she could always cheer anyone up with even the slightest look or gesture - a rare and precious talent in this place.  It didn't last anywhere near long enough.

ID 212798 | Gathering LD 13+6=21 | CD 6 | Find 1 material
(R1 Forager; +5 EXP)

Total:
+96 Forager EXP
20 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Harfleur, named after the French town besieged by Henry V in Shakespeare's telling, and source of the 'once more onto the breach' speech.  Yamasaki never lacked for bravado.  That much was certain and ultimately fatal.  He'd tried to rescue Magenta during the ambush - not surprising, given their relationship.  Their burgeoning love ended that day.  Everyone had such expectations for them and their future.  Instead, they became just another pair of scripts on the wall.  Here were all the tags claimed by Kayaba, flaunted as memoriam.  Could there be a better way to drive the players to despair than to prevent the healing powers of forgetting?  

"Yet here I am, again, torturing myself."  The words were barely whispers, yet the admission resonated deep within Ren's heart and mind.  Other players were scattered throughout the wide open plaza, each re-living their own grief.  Was there no way from sparing them the same suffering?  

"Help me, Durendal," he pleaded to the open sky.  "Help me make it right, somehow."

ID 212799 | Gathering LD 3+6=9 | CD 10 | Find 0 material
(R1 Forager; +3 EXP)

Total:
+99 Forager EXP
20 Materials

Edited by Rencesvals

Vindalia.  She was a classic, or classics major at least.  Smart as a whip too.  He'd always had a crush on her, but never managed to build up the courage to share his feelings.  More regrets.  More pain.  More loss.  Always more, ending in less.  Closing his eyes, Ren recalled her short wild hair and spirited laughter, the way she always rebuffed convention and expectations.  She was her own person, despite every effort to cram her into the mold forged by her parents strict and conservative traditions.  

"I should etch their names on the blade."  It was decided, and far more suitable a memorial than this dour and depressing mausoleum.  "You'll always be with me, all of you.  Perhaps, if we can hold it together long enough, we might all meet again on the other side.  Until then, I have work to do."  Summoning the rarely seen helm to his armor, Rencesvals clad himself in the memories of their loss and sacrifice and committed himself to making it all mean something - annealing his spirit for the many tasks ahead.

ID 212800 | Gathering LD 8+6=14 | CD 8 | Find 2 material
(R1 Forager; +8 EXP)

Thread Summary:

709 EXP (Word Count [4098/10*1*1] + Quest [300])
400 col (400 [1 page]

Materials: 27 (Gathered [22] + Quest [5])
Gain access to Blacksmith Profession & ability to open shop

Durendal (ID 212793 | T1 Uncommon Straight Sword | Taunt) 
Eval: https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/39172-rencesvals-evals-blacksmithing/?do=findComment&comment=673009

+107 Forager EXP

Edited by Rencesvals