[PP-F1] Cooking Cousins <<Earning a Living>>

Sorun needed experience. Not just combat experience, but life experience too...well, as "Experience" could be in terms of this lifelike game's life aspects, he couldn't just do nothing but fight all day and night, the fatigue and hunger pains were making sure of that. He'd need a way around it all, he'd need a place to himself where he could not only rest, but still have a way to get ahead without going out and fighting for his life every day...he needed a place in the market. However, the Aincrad Market was a limited one, despite its Free Market economy. If he wanted a place in it, he'd need a profession that he could easily get into the role of, one that lined up with his natural talents...Cook. He was fairly handy in the kitchen, so maybe he could try for cook.

He continued to walk along the road in the Town of Beginnings. There had to be someone in this bustling settlement who could teach him how it works in-game...

@Almina

Stats and Equipment:

Spoiler

Level: 1

HP: 20
Energy: 20
Base Damage: 7(BA Rank 1[3], Slayer Axe[3])
Mitigation: 6(Nomad's Garb)
Accuracy: 3(Amber)
Evasion: 0

Additional conditions:

[None Yet]

Skills:

Battle Axe Rank 1(4 SP)

Equipment:

[T1]Slayer Axe(Axe, 3 DMG)[Equipped]

[T1]Nomad's Garb(Cloth Armor, Mitigation, 2 Evasion)[Equipped]

[T1]Amber(3 ACC)[Equipped]

Consumables:

Starter Healing Potions(Restores 50 HP) x3

Almina was in for a busy day. After getting ready the way she usually did, she climbed up to the inn's roof through the window, and sat there admiring the view of another new day. Almina couldn't wait to start seeing the horizons of different floors, and began to wonder just how much the different horizons looked on different floors. Sure, Almina had plenty of angles to look from on this floor and the settlement's many views, but they were starting to run low. Speaking of things running low, Almina was running out of things to keep her busy whenever she wasn't out there. There had to be something she could do...

As she continued to look ahead, she wondered what kinds of adventures waited for her whenever she was finished with this floor's challenges. At her level, anything here was equal or major. What would the larger floors have? What would they hold in store for Almina? The thought of clashing against what was wrong, and helping the innocent, these thoughts warmed her heart and kept her at ease through this long, perilous waiting game. It's about time that ended. With a nod of her head that it was high time to set out again, she hopped off the roof with a "Hup!" and landed directly in front of a familiar face.

"Oh, sorry if I got in your way- Oh!" Her eyes lit up when she saw him, she never knew if she was going to see him again, and yet, he was right here. "Aidan! I..." Her expression's mild shock faded, being replaced with the joy of seeing someone familiar after so long. "I'm so happy to see you again! It's been a while!"

Stats and Equipment:

Spoiler

Level: 1

HP: 20
Energy: 20
Base Damage: 7(SS Rank 1[3], White Blade[3])
Mitigation: 6(Blossoms' Blessing)
Accuracy: 0
Evasion: 0
Regen: 4%
Loot Die: 3(Fuzzy Beanie)

Additional conditions:

[None Yet]

Skills:

Straight Sword 1(4 SP)

Equipment:

[T1]White Blade(Straight Sword, 3 DMG)[Equipped]

[T1]Blossoms' Blessing(Cloth Armor, Mitigation, 2 Regen)[Equipped]

[T1]Fuzzy Beanie(3 LD)[Equipped]

Consumables:

Starter Healing Potions(Restores 50 HP) x3

As Sorun was passing by an inn, something completely unexpected happened. Someone landed in front of him as he was walking, and his expression filled with shock as his jaw dropped slightly. His expression of shock would remain until the familiar face that landed was finished speaking.

"Hana??" He exclaimed. "Why are you even-"
    His palm to his face, it all came clearly. Gaming was one of the ways she was able to become her true self, so of course she would take interest in a game the way it was advertised, but seriously, how was she among the ten thousand? Or was this just a case of only ten thousand grab it because the rest didn't want to find themselves buying a game that turned out to be crappy, like plenty of games by big companies prior to being trapped in this place.

"I should've known you'd be here." Sorun began. "You were always the kind of person who wanted to let yourself show, even when you didn't." He threw up his hands for a split second with a quick sigh. "But I guess there's nothing to stop you anymore now, is there?" He asked.

Well, Aidan was looking more concerned about Almina's life than happy to see her again after so long. "Ehehe, nope! Nothing to stop me now!" She answered with a wink and a grin. Indeed, Almina would've loved nothing more than to always be herself. This move that Destiny had made on her was both a blessing and a curse. A curse in the sense that she was stuck in this game along with everyone else here, but a blessing that by inevitably getting into a special kind of trouble, she now had no need to hold herself back in any way whatsoever! "By getting in this game, Destiny really pulled a fast one on me, even I didn't see it coming. But now that I'm here, and a lot of time has passed...well, there's really no sense delaying the inevitable at this point, is there?" She added, her smile not leaving her face. "So, got any plans? I'm just itching to do something today."

Sorun could only give a chuckle before considering his next response. "Well, I guess you're more yourself than you've ever been before, then. That's a plus, I suppose." He remarked. Despite her little quirks, Hana's true self was something to behold. More people should get to know someone like her, if not Hana herself. She'd probably be that one friend any sane person would never want to let go of, at least in his eyes.

Hana would ask if Sorun had any plans. She was in luck, for he had something on his mind, not that he knew whether or not she was up for the task. "Actually, I do have something I was hoping to do today. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I'm considering finding my place in the Aincrad Market, probably the cook profession." He explained.  "You don't happen to know any potential teachers of said profession, do you?" He asked, wondering if she'd been more active with the townsfolk, player and NPC alike.

The Cook profession...
           Almina's eyes lit up again, and a bright smile formed on her face.
"I was actually considering taking up the cook profession myself! Wow, what a coincidence!" She exclaimed, her expression having a bright, beaming smile. "We can help so many people with this profession, people are always needing tasty food and consumable buffs for their journeys! This is a great idea, this way we can play our part for bringing freedom to the people even if we're not ready for the front!" She added.
                    Taking up a thinking position and looking to the digital skies as she tilted her head to the side, she had to consider the options. 
"Well, I don't think players can teach professions, so finding a fellow cook player is off the table, we'll have to find an NPC..." She noted. After a few seconds, however, she had a bright, excited expression on her face as an idea came to mind. "Maggie, that's it! She's a knowledgeable cook and runs a place over in the first Market District, she should be able to help us!" She explained.

Hana was more excited about getting a profession than Sorun thought she would be. Of course, then she brought up the potential help it could bring others, which made sense, for there was always a demand for consumable buffs among adventurers and frontliners of all stripes. The thought of helping others in this regard wasn't a bad idea at all, but now the two cousins just needed a good teacher to guide them in the game's process of how this profession worked.
       Thankfully, Hana was able to come up with the answer quickly. Sorun, of course, hadn't been paying too much attention to the three market districts in the Town of Beginnings, much less the central plaza where it all started, the announcement about the game's dark, cruel truth. He'd just been having the bare minimums and only sleeping half the time in taverns, with winter being the exception because he couldn't get something over him to keep the cold off during those days, and thus definitely needed the taverns those nights.
"So, did someone tell you about her, or did you learn about her some other way?" He asked.

Almina chuckled. "She kind of found me sitting on her tavern's roof, she's really sweet, I just know she'll be willing to help us out, come on!" She said before taking Aidan by the wrist and dragging him along with her as she nearly skipped her way over to the Tavern where Maggie was.

Almina opened the door, and took a good whiff of the incredible aroma that came to greet her. "You smell that, Aidan? That's the smell of a bright, wondrous, and promising culinary future!" She remarked. Once both players were in, a middle aged blonde would poke her head out of the kitchen door. "Hi hun,"  The NPC began. "It's good to see you again. We've got a bunch of different meals in the works, so what is it that you're hungry for?" She asked.
               With a bright smile, Almina knew just what to say. 
"My cousin and I are hungry for knowledge and guidance, we seek to master the culinary arts, as you have." She declared, her stance strong and firm, even though this was no such situation for such a pose.
      Unnecessary display and terrible wordplay pun aside, Maggie was willing to help. She clapped her hands together. 
"Oh my goodness, I would just love to teach you both some wonderful recipes. Unfortunately, today's lunch wiped out most of our ingredients. If it isn't too much of a bother, would you both mind picking up a few things?"
      Almina's warm smile was enough of an answer, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm with words. "Not at all, we'll gladly help out!" She decided, as she pressed <<Accept>> on the appearing quest prompt.

"Oh, you're both too kind, thank you very much! I'll need five ingredients from each of you, at the very least. Come back when you have what we'll need, I can't wait to show you some of my favorite recipes!" Maggie responded. With that, the quest was on.

Edited by Almina
  • 3 weeks later...

Why was it always the roof...maybe it was because there were no telephone poles for her to climb up to, but there were probably higher places to climb up to, unless she got bored of those spots or something? There were always things that Sorun couldn't understand about Hana, but in his opinion, that was just part of her charm and a guy would be lucky to have someone like her.

After Hana dragged Sorun over, nearly skipping as she did so, she opened the door to a tavern, and it was clearly a place where the best NPC-made food of the floor was, judging by the smell alone. An NPC would poke her head out the kitchen door, and speak to Hana. Hana gave her response, but phrased it in a way that an NPC was highly unlikely to understand. "W-we'd like to learn how to become cooks, if you're willing to teach us." Sorun added, albeit a bit awkwardly, hoping to clear up any confusion.
                         After the NPC gave her response, a quest prompt appeared before the two players. Both players pressed <<Accept>>. The NPC would then give the first objective, and the quest was on.

As the two players left the tavern, Sorun was thinking about how to gather these materials. "You know...since we're gathering ingredients, that might require us to go out, hunt and gather, kinda like our prehistorically early ancestors..." He thought aloud. "Well, I need the experience, and I get the feeling that you do, too. Wanna try and hunt something?" He asked.

Aidan's suggestion of hunting and gathering seemed like a good idea. Almina smiled and nodded. "Sure! Let's do it!"

The two players would leave the safe zone, and Almina would head directly into one of the floor's foliage ridden areas, near the forest. Four boars were there, one of which looked considerably chunkier than the other three. As soon as Almina spotted them, she drew her weapon and rushed towards them with all due haste.

It was practically luck that the first enemies Almina saw were weak enough for her current stats, though it would be best that Aidan come to help, for the chunkier boar's cursor changed to a darker red than the others' did. Almina activated her Sword Art, though her attack missed all but one...one, which was dealt a heavy strike. Most likely, the squealing would alert Aidan of the situation that Almina had gotten herself into.

Well, she decided she was ready for trouble, now, here she is.

ID# 214858 BD: 10(Critical, +2 Base DMG)

ID# 214859 BD: 5(miss)

ID# 214860 BD: 2(miss)

ID# 214861 BD: 2(miss)

AoE-I: 9x3=27 Damage to Boar 1!

[2-0-0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 17/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[0-0-0-0]Sorun: HP 20/20 | EN 20/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar 1: HP 3/30, 6 DMG

Boar 2: HP 30/30, 6 DMG

Boar 3: HP 30/30, 6 DMG

Boar Chonkernaut: HP 80/80, 9 DMG

Edited by Almina

Normally, going back out into the wilds felt like a personal risk. This time, it hit different since his allies weren't strangers or acquaintances. The different feeling hit even harder when he noticed that Hana wasn't beside him all of a sudden. "Hana?"

He looked to his left, but then he heard a squeal to the right. His eyes widened at the sight of his cousin pulling aggro on four boars. "Hana what are you doing?? You can't just attack the first thing you see!" He called out before pulling out his axe and rushing over to help. His Sword Art would hack away at the quartet of boars, finishing off the one Hana managed to damage, and cutting into the HP of two others. The last one stumbled in the confusion. Two sets of eyes were on Sorun now. One typical boar, and one big boy. Both were looking pretty pissed off. Sorun, much to his dismay, still had a lot to learn about defending himself when he only had an axe. Both charged towards him, and while his sidestep was able to avoid the big one, the other boar still rammed right into his torso.

At least it was a weakling.

ID# 214874 BD: 6+3=9(hit), MD: 6

ID# 214875 BD: 2+3=5(miss), MD: 5(miss)

ID# 214876 BD: 7+3=10(hit), MD: 8-2=6(hit)

ID# 214877 BD: 4+3=7(hit), MD: 6-2=4(miss)

AoE-I: 7x3=21 Damage to Boar 1, Boar 3, and Boar Chonkernaut!

ID# 214878 CD: 7, LD: 3(90 Col, 4 Materials)

Objective Progress: 4/5 Materials

[0-0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 17/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[0-1-1]Sorun: HP 19/20 | EN 13/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar 1: HP 0/30, 6 DMG

Boar 2: HP 30/30, 6 DMG

Boar 3: HP 9/30, 6 DMG

Boar Chonkernaut: HP 59/80, 9 DMG

Edited by Sorun
  • 3 weeks later...

So much for a smooth first battle.
                 Almina took notice when Aidan attacked the boars and drew aggro. Almina tried to take the moment as an opportunity to strike while their backs were turned. She would ready her weapon and prepare her sword art. The plan was simple, strike fast, strike now, and strike hard, really nothing much to it, right? Wrong.

Almina advanced towards the three enemies, but didn't notice the smooth stone on the slick grass. Before she knew it, her legs were moving upward instead of forward. That wasn't supposed to happen in games...what was going on here? Was this game really lifelike to the point where small objects could influence any entity in the world? Landing on her back, she could only see the sky above. It was nice, actually, but of course, she and her cousin Aidan were in the middle of combat. She couldn't just stick around.

She got up, but took her time in doing so on the off chance the game was willing to continue being excessively lifelike by either making her see stars or get a cramp. Hopefully Aidan had this covered.            

ID# 216559 BD: 2(miss)

ID# 216560 BD: 1(Critical Fail)

ID# 216561 BD: 5(miss)

[0-0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 16/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[0-1-1]Sorun: HP 19/20 | EN 13/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar 2: HP 30/30, 6 DMG

Boar 3: HP 9/30, 6 DMG

Edited by Almina

Well, at least Hana is safe. Now he just needed to survive on his own end of the battle.

It mattered not that Hana had a slip up and fell. As long as she was safe, it didn't matter. Sorun would normally ask her if she was okay, but the three boars were coming at him and he needed to strike now. He readied his axe and charged up his sword art, hacking away at the two lesser boars, killing one of them. The big boy caught Sorun's axe in its tusks, and tossed him behind. Sorun got up, feeling a bit dizzy. A quest update on his HUD dinged, notifying him that he'd completed his task...but what about Hana? She hasn't been able to gather or kill anything yet...

"Hana, now! While I've got them distracted!" He called out. Hopefully, this would do the trick. If Sorun could keep these two from killing anyone, Hana should be able to complete her task if she could manage to slay them both.

ID# 216653 BD: 7+3=10(hit), MD: 6-2=4(miss)

ID# 216654 BD: 10(Critical, +2 Base DMG), MD: 10(Critical! +2 DMG)

ID# 216655 BD: 1(Crit Miss), MD: 4-2=2(miss)

AoE-I: 7x3=21 Damage to Boar 2, 9x3=27 Damage to Boar 3!

ID# 216656 CD: 3, LD: 3(90 Col, 4 Materials)

Objective Progress: 8/5

[0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 16/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[1-1]Sorun: HP 19/20 | EN 9/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar 2: HP 9/30, 6 DMG

Boar 3: HP 0/30, 6 DMG

Edited by Sorun

You would think that after one failed attempt, that Almina would try a different approach. That after one failure, the next attempt would not fail.

Apparently not, for her next attack would go just as well as the last. When Aidan called out to Almina to strike now, she readied her weapon and prepared her sword art. A stone might not have stopped her, but the big one turned around and huffed, before catching her blade in its tusks. This one has seen battle before, and seems to know a thing or two of how to disorient attackers. It then threw her behind it, and she once again landed on her back before the two boars turned their attention back to Aidan. "Fighting these things is different than fighting dummies..." She thought aloud. She'd never fought against a moving target until now. At least these things were weak, so it was plenty of hands on practice and experience.

ID# 216657 BD: 3(miss)

ID# 216658 BD: 1(Critical Fail)

[0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 15/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[1-1]Sorun: HP 19/20 | EN 9/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Edited by Almina

Sorun winced as Hana had another stumble, this time caused by the big boy. That fat piggy knew exactly what he was doing. Even if it were lore-wise rather than actual experience, this boar has definitely seen combat before. Whether it be from being attacked by players or NPCs, or by competing with other creatures, it had fought its way to the big size it had grown to.

The two boars turned their eyes back to Sorun, and Sorun gripped his axe. He activated his sword art, hacking away at the big boy and knocking it back a meter or two. However, the moment he turned to deal with the other one, said other boar sent Sorun flying several meters, and that wasn't even the worst of it. There was always one area of the human male, that, even if it were phantom pain, was guaranteed to become a problem if hit... "GYRAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Sorun landed on his back, then curled up as his hands went directly to where he was feeling "pain". What a day this had been so far.

ID# 216808 MD: 10(Critical! +2 DMG)

ID# 216809 BD: 7+3=10(hit), MD: 6-2=4(miss)

ST-I: 7x4=28 Damage to Boar Chonkernaut!

[0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 15/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[1-2]Sorun: HP 17/20 | EN 6/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar Chonkernaut: HP 31/80, 9 DMG

Edited by Sorun
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, just laying down here wasn't going to do anything, she needed to act...even if the result ended up being the exact same thing. 

Almina had to help Aidan out after witnessing what happened to him, which caught her attention when he cried out in...phantom pain? ...Oh...right...guys had a soft spot there...
                  Almina was upset over how they were basically starting to pummel Aidan at this point, and if she couldn't do something soon, it might end up cutting too close.
"Hey! Stop picking on him, that was dirty!" She called out to the boars before preparing her sword art once again. The larger one simply turned its head to look at Almina and snorted as if it had huffed in annoyance. It watched Almina's movements closely as she made her way to attack, and the blade came down. "Ha! Didn't catch my blade the same way you did last time, you can't throw me off now!" She claimed, but she would then have a quick struggle for two seconds before finding herself still standing, but her weapon was flipping through the air, headed further away from combat. "Wait noooooooo!!!!!"
          Now Almina was chasing her weapon, and the two boars looked back to Aidan once again. Their priorities and course of action seemed pretty clear at this point.

ID# 217433 BD: 3(miss)

ID# 217434 BD: 1(Critical Fail)

[0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 14/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[1-2]Sorun: HP 17/20 | EN 6/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar Chonkernaut: HP 31/80, 9 DMG

Edited by Almina
  • 2 months later...

What even was this struggle here? Sure, two of the boars had already been taken care of, but there were still two more, that no only was Sorun trying to leave alive for Hana to finish off and loot, but they had both proven themselves to be absolutely insufferable so far.
              So, naturally, Sorun was getting tired of this, and it hadn't even been that long. Once again, Hana's final strike was delayed because the big pig yet again knew how to throw her off(or, more accurately, her weapon), leaving Sorun to have to hold off the two boars yet again...and one of the two boars would trigger phantom pain in Sorun by striking a certain area yet again...

This was getting old, this was getting annoying, this had to frickin' stop. "GYAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!"

Sorun got up, readied his sword art, and dealt a fair chunk of damage to the big one, it only had a sliver of HP left. "Hana, come quickly and finish them off, they're hitting me in the- GAAAAHHHH!!!!" He called out as the other boar was charging into him, sending him flying at the impact.

ID# 218632 MD: 7(hit)

ID# 218633 BD: 3+3=6(hit), MD: 9(Critical! +1 DMG)

ST-I: 7x4=28 Damage to Boar Chonkernaut!

[0-0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 14/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[1-3]Sorun: HP 14/20 | EN 3/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar Chonkernaut: HP 3/80, 9 DMG

Edited by Sorun

Having to chase after her weapon wasn't what Almina was expecting to end up doing in a fight, but seeing that sword of hers flipping through the air at a fair height, airborne at about five meters per second. Not what you'd expect in any fight whatsoever. Even characters in fiction didn't normally go through this...then again, Almina and her life don't exactly count as "normal"...

The sword landed in the ground, and she was finally able to retrieve it. "Phew, finally! Now to-"

Almina heard Aidan cry out in the distance. Seems like the boars hadn't stopped. "Ugh, why..."
              She ran back to the scene of battle, and activated her sword art once again. Somehow, the big piggy was able to dodge the attack...like, if it's so big and chunky, how in the heck was it able to dodge every attack Almina had made?? How was she supposed to become the heroine she needs to be for other people if she couldn't even get a hit against a chunky boar?

At least the lesser boar was defeated, though...

ID# 218634 BD: 9(Critical, +1 Base DMG)

ID# 218635 BD: 2(miss)

AoE-I: 8x3=24 Damage to Boar 2!

ID# 218636 CD: 1, LD: 5+3=8(90 Col, 4 Materials, <<T1 Uncommon Consumable 218636>>)

Objective Progress: 4/5

[0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 12/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[3]Sorun: HP 14/20 | EN 3/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Boar 2: HP 0/30, 6 DMG

Edited by Almina

Sorun heard the sounds of squealing, and attempted to get up. The smaller boar was gone, but the big fat pig was still there. How. The hell. Does something. That freaking big. Dodge an attack like that. So. Damn. Effortlessly???

While it made no sense that something like this ended up happening, there was really nothing that could be done to change it, but there just has to be some way for Hana to hit it...there has to be a way...
                   Sorun then noticed that the big chunky boar was going for it again. Sorun stopped the attack with his axe.
"Oh no you don't..." Sorun began. "Not this time..."
       He ended up in a lock with the monster, in which both Sorun and the boar were trying to push each other down. Soon, Sorun managed to pull back and then push with enough force to flip the big pig over, in which it stumbled and flipped several times before landing on its back, struggling and squealing to try and get itself sorted out. "That...was for...my D..." Sorun muttered out, before dropping back down to tend to his apparently still active phantom pain.

ID# 218672 MD: 1(Critical miss)

[0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 12/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[3]Sorun: HP 14/20 | EN 4/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Edited by Sorun

-

ID# 218673 BD: 1(Critical Fail)

(OOC: RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-)

[0]Almina: HP 20/20 | EN 11/20 | 7 DMG | 1 Regen | 6 MIT | 3 LD

[3]Sorun: HP 14/20 | EN 4/20 | 7 DMG | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 6 MIT

Enemies:

Edited by Almina