[SP-F1] Dragon Thief

Dante stared inquisitively at the scroll in his hands. He turned it every which way until finally setting it down on the counter and returning it to Morningstar.

"Sorry, kid. I'm at a loss with this one," the old barkeeper said, shaking his head.

The blonde sighed, leaning back in his seat. "It's no big deal, really. For a second, I thought it was..." he trailed off and quickly caught himself. "Anyways, it's probably just a junk item."

It had appeared to him out of the blue, not from any quest boss or treasure chest but from no where at all. In the grass of the Floor One fields, it flew into his path as if destiny had sent it herself. The runes written on it, however, were unreadable and neither him nor his friend could make any sense of the drawings. There was a red dot at a point on the map he was unfamiliar with.

"Any idea how I might get here? I've never seen this area before."

Dante thought for a moment, stroking his grey beard. "Not sure. Looks almost like a cave though, don't you think?"

He was right, it did appear cave-like from an undetailed top-down perspective. He played with it a bit more, running his fingers across the runes on the right side. Suddenly, it split in two with the map on the left side and the rest on the right. The runes slowly faded away, words taking their place.

"Huh," Morningstar looked at Dante, "that's weird."

mCt6WS1.png

[ lv. 36  ->   l. 32 / p. 4 ]
MORNINGSTAR | HP: 700/700 | EN: 102/102 | DMG: 23 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 122 | LD: 5 | BLD: 36 | PAR: 1 | Stealth Rating: -5

Hide contents

notes.

Hide contents

equipped

• meteor
    BLD II, PAR I
  • armor of fallen radiance 
    MIT III
  • lexa's light
    ACC III

battle-ready inventory

• teleport crystal

skills.

Hide contents

mod count: 3/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • precision, stamina, ferocity
    • shift: tech
  • HEAVY ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • impetus, iron skin
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 5/5
    • night vision, detect
  • ENERGIST
  • CHARGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL

buffs.

Hide contents

statue

• n/a

consumables 

• n/a

paragon

• n/a

arts.

Hide contents

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x11 -> x14
  • TECH-A | x16 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x16 | DELAY
  • TECH-D | x16 | SHATTER

misc.

Hide contents
  • Rested | -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat.
  • Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down).
  • Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30.
  • Tasty | Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread.
  • Relaxed | Increases out-of-combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • Basic Training | +5% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month. Must be used on a player's first post in a thread. Cooldown begins counting down when used in a post.

gathering

• n/a

Edited by Morningstar

Dante leaned over the counter to peek at the sheets of paper and Morningstar began to read aloud the writing on the right side.

"It didn't take much time for me to locate my first target. After all, I've been studying dragons since I was a young child. I always knew it was the job I wanted. Now I'll be doing more than I ever imagined. The task I'd set for myself was a grand one indeed. Nevertheless, I've drawn a map of the area to ensure that I don't get lost, and will likely need to draw more in the future. The dragon's lair should be close. I only pray that the creature is sleeping..." Morningstar trailed off, his gaze drawn to the number in the corner.

"Hey, what do you think thirteen means? A page number maybe?"

Dante shrugged once more. "Could be. Could also be a date. Or maybe a signature."

Morningstar had heard stranger names than Thirteen. It was a possibility. The speak of dragons and such was strange to him; he did not know that there were any on the First Floor. Monsters in the area were generally on the tame side, considering it was the first level of the game. Dragons felt out of place. The map, however, made sense now. He wondered if the writer had intended on someone else discovering their work and if, maybe, they wanted him to use it.

Before he could speak again, a quest prompt appeared in Morningstar's face. He read over the title in his head: "Diary of the Dragon Hunter". A hesitant finger tapped the blue circle, accepting the quest. Then, a marker on his map appeared. He zoomed in on it, realizing that it was in the same position as the waypoint on the paper version of the map.

"Guess our questions have been answered—some of them, anyways." Morningstar returned the map to his inventory.

"You'll be heading out then, I suppose?" Dante asked.

"Yeah," Morningstar answered, paying for the drinks he had ordered, "I'll let you know if I find anything interesting."

Edited by Morningstar

He left Dante's bar in a hurry, curious to see what he would discover at the end of the path. Whoever had left the journal entry had spoken of dragons. He had never seen one, which was surprising considering they were an MMORPG staple. He crossed through the Town of Beginnings, exited through the gate, and stared off into the open fields. Boars roamed aimlessly and players maneuvered around them, careful not to take their aggro.

It brought back memories. Some were good and some were less than pleasant; they were memories nonetheless. He took his first step into the plains and with his gear equipped, he marched onwards. It was quite the journey to his destination. The trail was long, although not difficult to follow. The monsters and animals on the floor were as weak as they could possibly have been. Many would stay away from him out of their own fear.

Edited by Morningstar

As he continued along the path, the landscape gradually changed, transitioning from peaceful plains to dense forests, filled with tall, ancient trees that seemed to whisper secrets to each other as the wind rustled through their branches. The atmosphere grew darker and more mysterious, fueling his curiosity about what lay ahead.

His mind wandered back to the journal entry he had read in Dante's bar. The writer had mentioned a dragon's lair. The mere thought of encountering such a creature thrilled him. He wondered if he would be expected to fight the winged beast.

As he ventured deeper into the woods, the sounds of chirping birds and scurrying critters became more distant, replaced by an eerie silence. He felt a tingling sensation down his spine, a mixture of anticipation and apprehension. The forest seemed to be alive, observing his every move.

He knew that nothing could harm him but kept his hand close to his blade anyway.

Spoiler

ID214113 | LD: 8+5=13

1/5

Edited by Morningstar

The dense foliage enveloped him, casting shadows that seemed to dance in the dim light. The path ahead became narrower and more obscured, giving an air of isolation. He could feel the weight of the forest pressing on him, its ancient secrets whispering in the rustling leaves. Every now and then, he caught glimpses of unusual flora, species that he had never encountered before. It was a strange part of the world and one that he had never had reason to visit.

As he continued deeper into the heart of the forest, the silence grew more profound. It was as if the forest held its breath, awaiting his next move. The knowledge that he was not alone heightened his senses, and he remained vigilant, alert to any movement or sound.

From his peripheral, he spotted small critters hiding amongst the tree leaves. Squirrels and birds kept their eyes on him as well; he was an uninvited guest in their domain.

Spoiler

ID214114 | LD: 9+5=14

2/5

Edited by Morningstar

Shadows seemed to dance where light could not reach. The path ahead became narrower and more obscured, giving an air of isolation. He could feel the weight of the forest pressing on him, its ancient voice whispering in the rustling leaves.

As the day wore on, he came across a short creek that wound its way through the woods. The sound of the water was soothing, and he took a moment to rest beside its shimmering surface. He dipped his hand into the cool water, feeling a surge of refreshment wash over him. In this digital world, he was able to experience the joys of nature and connect with the environment in ways he had never experienced before. Back home, in the real world, he was always so busy. It was one thing to the next, whether he was filming, interviewing, going to premiers. The time he had to himself was so limited.

Now, he was freer than ever.

Spoiler

ID214115 | LD: 1+5=6

3/5

Edited by Morningstar

He had left the chaos of his real-world responsibilities in the past. It was not that he hated it; there were times that he missed it, to be honest. However, the serene surroundings provided a much-needed respite from the constant hustle and bustle of his celebrity life. Here, he didn't need to wear a mask or put on a performance for anyone. It was a place where he could simply be himself, a player immersed in the beauty of the virtual realm.

Conflicted, he reflected on his time in Aincrad. It had changed him for the better, he thought, and he had met the love of his life in the game. He missed those whom he had left behind but time had passed and he had grown accustomed to his new life as a warrior. He wondered if he could go back to his old ways after things were finished and the final floor was cleared. 

Spoiler

ID214116 | LD: 3+5=8

4/5

Edited by Morningstar

To be fair, he wondered if the final floor would ever be cleared. By the time they made it to the end, who would still be left standing? How far could the frontliners go before giving in and choosing to remain within the game? Had things gone differently, had Lexa lived, even he would have considered staying.

He thought about the house they had intended on purchasing together. He had made far different choices in the end, purchasing a beach home that he never expected to be able to afford. She would have like it, he thought, even if it was not their original plan.

Lost in thought, he had barely realized that he had reached the dragon's nest. It was a cave with a large opening. Inside, it was dark. He stepped in, activating his Night Vision skill. The darkness lit up; he could see again. Morningstar marched through the cave, his heart racing from excitement.

Spoiler

5/5 | nest found!

Edited by Morningstar

# combat round 1

Spoiler

POST ACTION | Charge + TECH-A vs Carsar the Egg Snatcher
FREE ACTION | None

ID214117 | BD: 6+4 = 10-1 = 9 | (23+3)*16 = 416-40 = 376 Damage

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Morningstar HP: 700/700 | EN: 81/102 (-21) | DMG: 23 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 122 | LD: 5 | BLD: 36 | PAR: 1 | Stealth Rating: -5

Carsar the Egg Snatcher HP: 0/350 | DMG: 65 | MIT: 40

• Natural Fighter | Carsar can make three attacks in one round; once with his maw, once with his tail, and once with his claws. All deal the same damage.  If fighting against a party of three, each player will be targeted by an individual attack. Against a party of two, each will be targeted once, followed by an AoE attack that targets both. Against a solo party, the player will be targeted by all three attacks.

Aerial Combat | At any time Carsar feels overly threatened (losing more than 100 points of his health in one round) he takes to the skies to increase his mobility. While airborne he has +2 EVA, with a penalty of -1 ACC (-2 ACC at 200 or less HP, and -3 ACC at 100 or less HP). Carsar will land, ending this effect, if he takes 50 damage or less over two rounds. 

Breath Attack | Activates on a BD 9-10.  Carsar has the ability to use a breath attack which emits a large paralytic gas. The attack gains +35 DMG (replacing crit bonus) with this attack and targets all players in the battlefield, inflicting Paralyze on contact. Make separate attack rolls for each additional target beyond the first.  Carsar can only use this twice in a single battle before he cannot do so anymore.

Edited by Morningstar

# combat round 1

Spoiler

POST ACTION | Charge + TECH-A vs Nepent Variant
FREE ACTION | None

ID214119 | BD: 1 | Critical Miss
ID214119 | MD: 10 | CD: 9 | 35 Damage to Morningstar | +5 MIT

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Morningstar HP: 625/655 | EN: 76/87 (-11) | DMG: 14 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 68 | LD: 5 | BLD: 12 | PAR: 1 | Stealth Rating: -5

Nepent Variant HP: 200/200 | MIT: 15 (+5) | DMG: 25 | ACC: 1

• Plant Frenzy | On MD 9-10, the Nepent will strike all party members for 35 DMG.
  • Photosynthesis | On CD 9-12, the Nepent will restore 15 HP and gain 5 MIT until its next turn.
  • Weapon Lock | Only Sword Arts of Rank 2 or lower may be used against this boss.
  • Tier Lock | For the duration of the fight, all of the participants’ stats that scale with Tier are calculated as though they’re Tier 1. [DMG/MIT/BLEED enhancements etc.]

Edited by Morningstar

# combat round 2

Spoiler

POST ACTION | TECH-A vs Nepent Variant
FREE ACTION | None

ID214120 | BD: 10 | Critical Hit (+2 DMG) | (14+2)*10 = 160 - 15 = 145 Damage to Nepent Variant | Bleed Proc | Stun Proc

Morningstar HP: 625/655 | EN: 70/87 (+1) (-7) | DMG: 14 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 68 | LD: 5 | BLD: 12 | PAR: 1 | Stealth Rating: -5

Nepent Variant HP: 55/200 | MIT: 15 | DMG: 25 | ACC: 1 | BLEED STUN

• Plant Frenzy | On MD 9-10, the Nepent will strike all party members for 35 DMG.
  • Photosynthesis | On CD 9-12, the Nepent will restore 15 HP and gain 5 MIT until its next turn.
  • Weapon Lock | Only Sword Arts of Rank 2 or lower may be used against this boss.
  • Tier Lock | For the duration of the fight, all of the participants’ stats that scale with Tier are calculated as though they’re Tier 1. [DMG/MIT/BLEED enhancements etc.]

Edited by Morningstar

# combat round 3

Spoiler

POST ACTION | TECH-A vs Nepent Variant
FREE ACTION | None

ID214120 | BD: 2+4 = 6 | 14*10 = 140 - 10 = 130+12 = 142 Damage to Nepent Variant

LOOT
+ 1 Nepent's Ovule

Morningstar HP: 625/655 | EN: 76/87 (-11) | DMG: 14 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 68 | LD: 5 | BLD: 12 | PAR: 1 | Stealth Rating: -5

Nepent Variant HP: 0/200 | MIT: 10 | DMG: 25 | ACC: 1 | BLEED (1/3)

Edited by Morningstar