[SP-F19/F2] Challenge of the Mountain King

He awoke at midnight, in a crater of his own making. Or of the dragon's making before it disintegrated. A sliver of health remained in the corner of his visual display. He was sore but alive. His first instinct was to move to safer ground; however, nothing appeared to have noticed him lying there. Or, if something had, it had been scared off by the falling dragon. His inbox had been blown up by messages from Willow. He sat up and typed out a few words.

morningstar: all good. hbu?
willow: what the hell do you mean all good?
willow: it's been 12 hours!

He stood up with a grunt and gathered his blade. His clothes were dirty and ripped up. His face was slashed up by marks of red pixels, as was the rest of his beaten body. He sent another message.

morningstar: did you go back to town?
willow: no.
willow: we're still at the same place. we set up camp here. where are you?
morningstar: let me check.

He was a bit late doing so but he opened up his map. Willow had asked a great question. Where the hell was he? He could see the markers of his friends; however, they were miles away from him. Not only that but the terrain them would take him days to cross, at best. His health bar slowly hiked up from red to yellow. He cracked open a potion and drank but the effects were minimal. He wrote back to Willow, explaining his situation. They agreed that it was unlikely that they'd be able to meet up in the short term and that they'd continue alone until things became dire. Each of them had at least one teleport crystal. They would be okay.

morningstar: see you soon.
willow: you'd better.

Edited by Morningstar
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiking had become tiresome and Morningstar had endured both a long fall and a long day. "Just about time for a break," he mumbled through a yawn. His position was unideal, though, so he kept walking towards the top. It was quiet in the mountains. He supposed that there weren't many creatures (loud ones, anyway) that were up at night. He had passed some goats on his way up but they were the extent of the lifeforms he had seen.

That was, until he saw the flame flickering from the center of the tabletop. He stood at the mountain's edge, still on the path he had taken. A group of four sat around the firepit, talking amongst themselves. He was tired enough that he wanted to assume that they were friendly and would be perfectly happy with him camping next to them. It was impossible to make out what they were saying and he couldn't see their cursors from where he was.

So, he moved closer. "Hey!" He announced himself, hoping not to startle them too badly, "Sorry, I don't mean to intrude. Just passing through and didn't want to be weird and sneaky about it."

He absolutely had startled them. One even jumped and the others laughed at him for it. Morningstar quickly realized his mistake upon seeing the red icons that hovered above their heads. "Ah, here we go again," he muttered as combat initiated once more.

Edited by Morningstar

"Listen, fellas, I fell from a really high place and I don't have the energy for this. Why don't we just sit down and talk this out over a few of those ox legs you've got roasting there," Morningstar pointed his sword at the meat hanging above the fire pit. Obviously, they had not taken a liking to his diplomatic approach, as each of them raised their weapon of choice upon hearing his idea. "Fine, fine. What do they call this again? Aggressive negotiations?"

They came faster than he had expected. One jabbed at him with a dagger, managing to slice above his hip bone. He kneed the bandit in the gut, disarming him. In a wide arc, he slashed, and the output of his sword art expelled all of them backwards.

"I gave you one chance for us to be pals and you tossed it away," he appeared suddenly next to the weaponless bandit. A pained gasp stole Morningstar's attention. He had not noticed static take effect on one of the bandits. He almost felt sorry for the mob. It looked younger than the rest, although he knew that it meant nothing in reality. They were numbers built to die and respawn, die and respawn, over and over again.

Spoiler

Post Action | AOE-I (x11, 19 EN): 19 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 16 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219131 | BD: 3+4+1=8 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219132 | BD: 9 (minor crit +1) | (27*11)+40=337 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219133 | BD: 6+4+1=11 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219134 | BD: 5+4+1=10 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A

ID: 219135 | MD: 5-1 (miss)
ID: 219136 | MD: 3-1 (miss)
ID: 219137 | MD: 5-1 (miss)
ID: 219138 | MD: 10 (major crit +2) | 134-167=-33. Morningstar loses 1 HP.

Morningstar | HP: 874/874 | EN: 92/108 (-16) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25

Bandit A | HP: 110/396 | DMG: 132 | (396-286)
Bandit B | HP: 57/396 | DMG: 132 | (396-337)
Bandit C | HP: 110/396 | DMG: 132 | (396-286)
Bandit D | HP: 110/396 | DMG: 132 | (396-286)

Edited by Morningstar

"Ah, well. Sorry about this. I'm sure you didn't have a choice. I suppose I take self-control for granted," Morningstar said, kneeling beside the disarmed bandit, who stared up at him with eyes full of fire. The bandit threw a punch, prompting the swordsman to kick his fist aside and end the fight with a second sword art. He spun, hitting all four of the bandits in one giant sweep. They all disappeared, leaving him alone with a fire and a bundle of ox legs.

"I've been told," he sat down at the bandit camp, "that if I put out the fire, they'll stop spawning."

He eyed the food but upon closer inspection, it looked disgusting. "Jesus. Maybe I'll eat from my own stash tonight." He stomped out the fire and crawled into one of the one-person tents setup around the circle. It was cozy inside, albeit a tight fit. Still, it wasn't nearly as bad as the cave had been and it had bedding.

Spoiler

Post Action | AOE-I (x11, 19 EN): 19 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 16 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219140 | BD: 1+4+1=6 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219141 | BD: 3+4+1=8 (hit) | (26*11)+40=326 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219142 | BD: 4+4+1=9 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A
ID: 219143 | BD: 1+4+1=6 (hit) | 26*11=286 DMG to Bandit A

Morningstar | HP: 874/874 | EN: 80/108 (92+4-16) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25

Bandit A | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132
Bandit B | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 | STATIC (2/2)
Bandit C | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132 
Bandit D | HP: 0/396 | DMG: 132

Looting:
ID: 219144 | CD: 8 | LD: 20+6=26
ID: 219145 | CD: 1 | LD: 14+6=20
ID: 219146 | CD: 10 | LD: 12+6=18
ID: 219147 | CD: 7 | LD: 5+6=11

+ ((396*4)*3)+((396*2)*5)+(396*7)+(396*3)=12,762 Col
+ 6 Materials
+ 3 T4 Perfect Weapons
+ 1 T4 Perfect Consumable
+ 2 T4 Rare Trinket
+ 1 T4 Rare Weapon
+ 1 T4 Uncommon Consumable

Edited by Morningstar

The next morning, he awoke to mountain goats and light rain. Bleating startled him up and he saw the head of a goat peeking into his tent. He went through multiple phases of awakening: confusion, annoyance, and then pure laughter. "Good morning to you too," he rubbed his eyes, tossing off the bandit's blanket and crawling past the goat. Immediately, he regretted his decision to leave cover. Water soaked his hair as he stuck his head outside, causing him to hide away again. It was a good thing he hiked a lot because he had come prepared for this. Through the grogginess, he scrambled into his inventory, equipping his favorite red raincoat and some waterproof boots.

"Alright," he squeezed back out of the tent, "time to get moving."

He patted the goat on the head and stuffed his hands into his pockets. He could see it clearly now, deep within the rough mountains, a kingdom behind walls of earth and at the gate, its protector. Bridges seemed to line much of the mountains in that area. Not all of them were in working condition; however, those that were made it easier for him to cross over the rocky valleys. That being said, they weren't exactly safe. This bridge in particular was rickety and every few boards, one or two were missing.

He tested his foot on the first wooden plank. It seemed like it would hold his weight. Then, he tried the next two. By the time he made it to the board that would be number 9, he tensed up. The rope to his left, which had already frayed plenty, looked like it was about to snap. Carefully, he stepped on the next board. His foot went straight through the rotten wood and he fell over, his weight breaking each rope, one at a time, until he was hanging sideways from the mountain once again.

At least he had an old rope to climb.

Spoiler

Unmodified LD >=7 = safe passage over the bridge
Unmodified LD<7 = bridge breaks, find another way across

ID: 219194 LD: 4 (wtf? bridge breaks)

Edited by Morningstar

He strained his forearms and back pulling himself up the mountain. The rope burned his hands the further he scaled. The alternative to the pain, unfortunately, was death. He had survived one fall and he was lucky for that. He wouldn't have made the second. At the top, a mountain goat stared at him with wild eyes. It  began to chew on the rope. In a panic, Morningstar equipped the knife he used to cut his food and, holding it by the blade, tossed it at the animal. It stuck into the goat's head and he toppled over the mountainside, right past the blonde. It took his favorite knife with him.

He made it to the top safely, although the rope was severely damaged and the goat had nearly cost him his life. Thankfully, the rest of the herd didn't seem the slightest bit appalled at his actions. They meandered around the flattop mountain, munching on grass and flowers.

The only route left for him to take was the path back down the mountain. "The long way 'round," he said from beneath his hood, happy to at least be alive.

Edited by Morningstar

The valley between mountains was green, spacious, and wet. Little stirred aside from small critters and birds. A few messages had been sent back and forth between Morningstar and Willow, mostly updating each other on their whereabouts and planning out where they would meet next. She also sent him a photo of Renflow being headbutt by an ox, which he saved for safekeeping. Morningstar's trek was long but uneventful. He searched a few nooks for any loot or materials but found nothing of value. A plum tree offered him plenty of fresh fruit. The whole bunch of it became his lunch (although, he saved a couple for his friends).

Eventually, he found himself atop a mountain once more. The kingdom was close enough to see clearly now and it was all the more obvious that the golem standing guard was not a neutral mob. Suddenly, he felt something strike him in the back.

"That was a really stupid thing you pulled yesterday!" Came Willow, restraining herself from punching him again.

She was a lot stronger than she looked; he wondered if she secretly trained for the Martial Arts skill or if she was naturally a monster. "I mean, I couldn't exactly control the damn thing," he excused himself, "it flew into the frickin' barrier!"

She reeled back her fist again.

"No, no, no, no! Once was enough!"

Spoiler

Treasure Chest Roll

ID: 219210 LD: 2+6=8 (nothing found)

Edited by Morningstar

They laid out their plan: sneak past the guard and find a way through the wall. Was it a good plan? Absolutely not. Was it all they had? Unfortunately, yes.

They prepared their gear in case of emergency. Morningstar switched his climbing clothes to his heavy armor. It was the worst possible suit for a stealth mission; however, in the event that they were caught anyway, they decided that it was safer to be wearing their strongest equipment possible. The others were dressed in cloaks with their guild insignia printed on the backs. It was a black ball with engulfed by an orange flame. Morningstar had no idea what the relevance of it could have been, considering that their name was "Cleric."

"Alright," Renflow cleared his throat, "we move as three and we do it quietly. Once we're passed the giant, we look around for a way in. If there's no way in, we come back here and reevaluate."

Star and Willow nodded and the mission began.

Edited by Morningstar

They hugged the wall of the mountain, which was taller than the others in the area and, unlike many, ended in jagged points. Morningstar's armor clanked; however, it was not loud enough for the golem to notice. "It's working," Willow whispered, prompting a sudden hush from Renflow behind her.

Upon reaching the wall they realized two things. First, it was unclimbable. It was perfectly flat and even if they had brought the tools for the job, there was little chance that they could have made it up without the guard taking notice. There was also the fact that none of them had the strength nor energy to scale a wall that was bigger than some of the nearby mountains. Morningstar, who had suggested the idea previously, was understandably embarrassed. Second, there was a hole in the left side of the wall at the very edge. They could sneak in through that and never be noticed by anyone or anything.

"Come on," Morningstar said, making sure the others were through first before he joined them.

Spoiler

LD required: 9+

ID: 219226 LD: 16-5=11 (successful)

Edited by Morningstar

Finally, they were within the walls of the city. Inside was much less than they had expected. They had imagined a city, bustling and beautiful, with NPCs much like those in Urbus or the Town of Beginnings. People who, perhaps, had never met players like them before. Instead, there were no people at all. It was quiet within the walls. Platforms and statues, as well as gardens and waterfalls that lead to pretty ponds, lined what could only be described as a really long staircase. At the very top, there was a castle. Much like the rest of the citadel, it was made from various types of stone, including smooth granite, marble, and quartz. 

They took the stairs, nervous about the possibility of the statues being alive. After a few tests (such as poking them with the tips of their swords), they determined that they were, in fact, only statues. They marched up to the castle and, with teleport crystals at the ready, wandered inside.

The main entrance of the castle led the party through a gorgeously adorned hallway of jewels and crystals. Gold rimmed the edges connecting the walls to the arched ceiling. They could hear nothing but their own footsteps and voices now.

"What is this place?" Renflow asked, rhetorically.

"It screams dungeon," Willow said, eyeing the mural that followed the path of the ceiling. "What do you think that's all about?" She pointed up.

The mural depicted the rough mountains as well as many of the animals, including the rock dragons, that inhabited them. "Cardinal's an artist, I guess."

They followed the winding corridor until, eventually, they came to the end. A great door, triple their size, stood before them. It was ornate, much like the rest of the castle, and designed intricately. Morningstar, hesitantly, took responsibility and gave it a good shove. With a lot of effort and some help from his party, they pushed it open.

Morningstar, Willow, and Renflow entered the throne room.

On each side of them, in the circular windows beneath the ceiling, perched a rock dragon. Their bodies were composed entirely of stone, just like the beast they had fought before. Judging by their size and appearance, they were young. He knew better than anyone what they would become, given the time. Goliaths.

These, however, could still fit within the space of the throne room, if they so pleased. They were no bigger than a pair of elephants. Their gray scales and rocky jaws were meant to intimidate the Lightbringer. They did not.

From his throne, a man laughed. “Welcome, young warriors, to my kingdom. I am Halador, King of the Mountains. My soldiers have watched you closely on your journey here. You have proven yourselves and so, I grant you my audience.”

They were silent and the king took notice. A smirk crept across his face. With a flash of light, an object appeared, hovering above his hand.

“You come in search of this, do you not?

“I take it you won’t just give it to us?” Morningstar asked?

The king laughed once more. “You amuse me. I can’t say that I care much for this piece of... art. It appeared to me only recently,” he held it in his fingers, examining it nonchalantly before returning his gaze to the swordsman in his court. “However, I would not enjoy handing it over willingly. What kind of a king would I be?" He paused, as if to think. Then, he pointed his spear at Morningstar. "You are a warrior, are you not? Will you fight for it?”

Morningstar remained silent. The piercing sound of his blade leaving its scabbard was enough confirmation for the king. The dragons remained perched; he had expected their swift and fierce attacks from above, but they never came.

“I apologize—I was unspecific. Will you fight me for it?”

The king rose from his throne and from the ground emerged the long body of a spear. It came to him as if he and it were one and the same. The gold plating of his armor shimmered, touched by the small bit of light that snuck past the dragons. The health bar that appeared before Morningstar was among the largest he had encountered, topped only by Wushen itself. Above it read "Halador, The Mountain King."

The duel began immediately. Halador made the first move, thrusting his spear, Earthshaker, towards Morningstar, who countered with the edge of his blade, deflecting the tip into the ground beneath them. With a pull, it was dislodged. A wide swing touched the steel of Morningstar’s chestplate. He spun Earthshaker, striking again. Its body slammed into Morningstar’s side, forcing him off balance. What Halador surely believed to be the final stab was shockingly parried by his opponent’s quick read.

Closing the gap between them, Morningstar lunged forwards. He slashed up, grazing the king’s cheek. Blood particles flew from the tip of his blade. He evaded a flurry of blows, backing outside of Earthshaker’s range.

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 13 EN): 13 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 9 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219231 | BD: 8+4+1=13 (hit) | 16*26=416 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King

Morningstar | HP: 874/874 | EN: 99/108 (108-9) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 2584/3000 (3000-416) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | STUNNED | StunImm[F] (0/3)

• Granite Shield | On a CD of 9+, the Mountain King forgoes his attack and beckons the earth to him, burying himself in the rocks as if it were a suit of armor. He gains 300 MIT and 100 Thorns for his next turn only.
  • Earthquake | On an MD of 9-10, the Mountain King slams his spear into the ground, creating tremors dealing 25-50 bonus DMG and stunning for 1 turn.
  • Spirit of the Mountain King | A piece of Halador, The Mountain King remains within whomever defeats him in battle. The player receives the title “Mountain King” and certain mobs located in the rough mountains of Floor Two will no longer act aggressively towards them.

Edited by Morningstar

Without stopping to think, Morningstar reentered the Earthshaker's range. He deflected a hefty swing, his riposte cleaving the plating on Halador's leg. It was the king who backed up now, without even looking at his new wound.

"You fight well, swordsman," he said with a smirk. "What might your name be?"

"Morningstar," the blonde replied.

Behind them, the others whispered, plotting to enter the fight as well. Halador caught them. "You may take your turns if young Morningstar fails to defeat me. Until then, please be patient. Lily and Wilfred are hungry and tend not to care for rulebreakers," he said, gesturing to the rock dragons above.

"I have waited a long, long time for a challenger, Morningstar. I was pleased to see your capabilities in the mountains. I was sure you and your party would run at the first sight of my elder rock dragon. Yet, you stayed, even going so far as to fell the creature."

"So that was your pet, then? You don't seem angry that I killed it."

Halador laughed heartily. "Of course not. The regrowth process has already begun. It should hatch from the mountain any day now," he said, as if it were supposed to be obvious.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains +4 EN

Post Action | TECH-B (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Rested 1/2; Stamina) = 13 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219232 | BD: 8+4+1=13 (hit) | 16*26=416 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King | CD: 10 (ST-B available)
ID: 219233 | MD: 3+2-1=4 (miss) | CD: 1

Morningstar | HP: 874/874 | EN: 90/108 (99+4-13) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 2168/3000 (2584-416) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 (2) | DELAY | StunImm[F] (1/3)

• Granite Shield | On a CD of 9+, the Mountain King forgoes his attack and beckons the earth to him, burying himself in the rocks as if it were a suit of armor. He gains 300 MIT and 100 Thorns for his next turn only.
  • Earthquake | On an MD of 9-10, the Mountain King slams his spear into the ground, creating tremors dealing 25-50 bonus DMG and stunning for 1 turn.
  • Spirit of the Mountain King | A piece of Halador, The Mountain King remains within whomever defeats him in battle. The player receives the title “Mountain King” and certain mobs located in the rough mountains of Floor Two will no longer act aggressively towards them.

Edited by Morningstar

With a sigh, Halador focused. He charged forwards, his spear pointed at Morningstar's chest. The blonde lifted his blade just in time to adjust its angle. It left a dent in his shoulder plating but he had avoided being impaled. With the spear out of the way, Morningstar was free to strike back. His blade poised for Halador's throat, he stabbed; however, instead, he connected with a slab of marble. It shattered, dampening the blow and allowing Halador to block with his arm.

Morningstar stared with wild eyes. They split apart. A perfect square was missing from the floor exactly where they had been standing. Had it been loose the whole time? Did the king use his foot to kick it up? It would have taken skill beyond any of their capabilities. Desperately, he searched for the answer and a way to counter it. How could he calculate which tiles were loose and which were safe to fight around? How did the king himself know?

Then, it clicked. He wasn't using any creative tricks to move the marble. The King of the Mountains was beyond that. This was something innate—something that he alone could do. Morningstar sought to test his theory.

Spoiler

Post Action | ST-B (x20, 20 EN): 20 EN - (Stamina) = 18 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219234 | BD: 3+4+1=8 (hit) | 20*26=520 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King
ID: 219235 | MD: 3+3-1=5 (miss) | CD: 10 (Granite Shield proc)

Morningstar | HP: 874/874 | EN: 76/108 (90+4-18) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 1648/3000 (2168-520) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | StunImm[F] (2/3)

• Granite Shield | On a CD of 9+, the Mountain King forgoes his attack and beckons the earth to him, burying himself in the rocks as if it were a suit of armor. He gains 300 MIT and 100 Thorns for his next turn only.
  • Earthquake | On an MD of 9-10, the Mountain King slams his spear into the ground, creating tremors dealing 25-50 bonus DMG and stunning for 1 turn.
  • Spirit of the Mountain King | A piece of Halador, The Mountain King remains within whomever defeats him in battle. The player receives the title “Mountain King” and certain mobs located in the rough mountains of Floor Two will no longer act aggressively towards them.

Edited by Morningstar

He raced towards Halador intent on testing the king's true power. There was something the old man had not advertised but was keen on using. He sliced and slashed until finally, another tile flew up. This time, Morningstar was ready. He smacked it out of the way, his gauntlet cracking it in half. The king reared back.

Moments before the blade could touch him, rocks tore from the ground, ripping up the floor and forming around Halador. A tough shell, even harder than the elder rock dragon's scales, encased him, making it impossible to touch him.

Spikes emerged from Granite Shield, stabbing through Vikhrov's Legacy and drawing Morningstar's blood. He grimaced, stumbling back and steadying himself. To pierce his armor meant that the rock had been sharpened incredibly well.

Granite Shield deformed around the king and he returned to the fight.

"It's interesting," Morningstar said between breaths. "Your dragon used a similar move against us earlier."

"You can learn a lot from those around you. How they live and... how they fight."

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-B (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Stamina) = 14 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219236 | BD: 4+4+1=9 (hit) | 16*26-300=116 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King

Morningstar takes 100 DMG from THORNS.

Morningstar | HP: 774/874 | EN: 65/108 (75+4-14) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 1532/3000 (1648-116) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | MIT: 300 | THORNS: 100 | StunImm[F] (3/3)

Edited by Morningstar
wrong id. fixed.

In a flash, Halador pressed forward, creating a shallow fissure with sheer force. Earthshaker's tip scraped Morningstar's neck but missed any lethal spots. The Lightbringer clashed against it with reverberation and electricity bounced up its body. The static shocked Halador, breaking his poise. Morningstar took the opportunity to attack once more. He lunged, his blade breaking through the armor that covered the king's stomach.

The Soulcursed Blade screamed in a high pitch that only Morningstar and Halador could hear. The blonde withdrew it from the king's body and dropped it to the ground. They both covered their ears until the shrilling voice stopped.

Covering his gut wound, Halador smirked. "That's a troublesome sword you wield. You cannot control it. Where did you find it?"

"It was a gift," he explained, his head splitting from the sound, "from a friend."

"I advise that you refrain from using it after today," the king's expression was grim.

"What? Why?"

"Must you ask?"

The sword lay on the ground, humming gently while they spoke. The red vain-like strokes along its blade had become brighter, or more full, since he had stabbed Halador. It hadn't happened since the boss raid.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains +25 HP from BH
(ID: 219237 CD: 3) No VD proc

Post Action | ST-B (x20, 20 EN): 20 EN - (Stamina) = 18 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219238 | BD: 9 (crit +1) | 21*26+40=586 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King | STK proc | VO proc (+125 HP)

ID: 219239 | MD: 4+3-1=6 (hit) | 275-167=90 DMG to Morningstar

Morningstar | HP: 834/874 (774+25-90+125) | EN: 51/108 (65+4-18) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 946/3000 (1532-586) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | STK: 40 (1/2)

Edited by Morningstar

In response to the grave warning, Morningstar kicked up the blade and resumed the duel. His fighting was unclean and choppy; the pain in his head had weakened him significantly. Halador was also staggered, however, from both the stab wound and Star's static. In their weakened states, they remained even adversaries. The Lightbringer and the King of the Mountains danced, their blades flashing in the dim light of the throne room. Their clash of wills echoed in the enclosed space, sparks flying from metal. Tension hung heavy in the air as they circled each other, the outcome of their duel uncertain. Above them, the dragons watched, roaring from time to time in excitement. Willow and Renflow stood by the main door, watching nervously, wishing that they could join Morningstar.

But, it wasn't their fight. It was he who had been challenged and he felt no desire to disrespect the king in his out court. Besides, it was impossible to say what other mobs were at his disposal, besides the dragons.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains +25 HP from BH
(forgot to roll VD but i don't care)

Post Action | TECH-B (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Stamina) = 14 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219240 | BD: 4+4+1=9 (hit) | 16*26+40=456 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King

ID: 219242 | MD: 8+3-1=10 (hit) | 275-167=90 DMG to Morningstar | CD: 8

Morningstar | HP: 769/874 (834+25-90) | EN: 41/108 (51+4-14) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 490/3000 (946-456) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | STK: 40 (2/2)

Edited by Morningstar

"Halador," Morningstar's grip loosened, "who is it that you fight for? We saw no one else here. What about your people?"

Halador's stern expression turned warm. "My kingdom spans from here to the edge of the mountains. My 'people,' as you put it, include all of the creatures that call them home. I fight for them. It is my duty to ensure that they are looked after and that their king remains worthy of the title."

Morningstar nodded. Halador engaged, twisting his spear as he thrust towards his opponent. It caught Star off guard. His eyes widened as he watched the tip of the lance ram through his stomach. There was nothing he could do to block or parry. He could only stare.

Red sprayed from both of their bodies. Morningstar used his failure to guarantee a returning hit on Halador. Each of their health bars dropped at differing paces.

Spoiler

(forgot to roll VD again like a fool but i don't care)

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 13 EN): 13 EN - (Stamina) = 11 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219244 | BD: 4+4+1=9 (hit) | 16*26=416 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King | Stun proc

Morningstar | HP: 794/874 (769+25) | EN: 34/108 (41+4-11) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 70/3000 (496-456) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3 | STK: 40 (2/2) | STUNNEDStunImm[F] (0/3)

Edited by Morningstar

Then, Earthshaker disintegrated. Morningstar gasped, his hand reaching for the gaping hole in his torso. His grip loosened, causing the Soulcursed Blade to slide out of Halador's chest. It clanged to the floor. 

This was it. Morningstar expected a final combination of attacks. Halador would reequip his lance and finish what he had started. One of the others would be forced to take his place in the duel, or they'd try to save him and end up dying alongside him in the process.

But the attacks never came. Instead, Halador clapped. The dragons roared, flying away from the castle. The fight had ended. The king admitted to his defeat. His health bar ticked down, slowly inching towards zero.

"Thank you, Morningstar, for the honor of this duel. I'm afraid I can't recall the last time I fought another human. You came all this way for a reward; I shall grant you two."

In his hands appeared a stone totem. It was green and artistically shaped. It looked, to him, like a tree.

"The Artifact of Life, I believe is its name. Its power, I am unsure of. It holds little value to me; however, your party has shown interest."

The king began to split apart into forest green particles, starting from the feet and moving up the body. "For your final gift, I grant you my seat. Hail, Morningstar, True King of the Mountains."

"You are worthy," he finished, disappearing into the air.

The same green enveloped Morningstar's body for only a moment before returning him to normal. Nothing appeared to change.

Spoiler

(forgot to roll VD again like a fool but i don't care)

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Stamina) = 10 EN.
Free Action | None

ID: 219245 | BD: 4+4+1=9 (hit) | 12*26=312 DMG to Halador, The Mountain King

Morningstar | HP: 819/874 (794+25) | EN: 28/108 (34+4-10) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 167 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | STK: 40/24 | BH: 25 |

Halador, The Mountain King | HP: 0/3000 (70-312) | DMG: 275 | ACC: 3

• Spirit of the Mountain King | A piece of Halador, The Mountain King remains within whomever defeats him in battle. The player receives the title “Mountain King” and certain mobs located in the rough mountains of Floor Two will no longer act aggressively towards them.\

Looting:

ID: 219248 | CD: 1 | LD: 12+6=18

+ (3000*3)+(3000*2)=15000 col
+ 2 materials
+ 1 R. T4 Consumable
+ 1 R. T4 Rare Weapon

Edited by Morningstar

Exhaustion came quickly, overtaking his body. Morningstar dropped but never felt the hardness of the floor. His friends had been quicker, catching him before he could crash. They sat him up, forcing health potions down his throat, and waited for his injuries to heal.

King Halador of the Mountains had fallen. His final words were cryptic and without guidance. They spent some time scouring the castle, only to find nothing. Rather than return to Urbus on foot, they decided to use crystals.

They stood in a dark alley somewhere in the city. Morningstar handed over the totem to Willow, who hid it away in her inventory sneakily, keeping it out of sight from any random passersby. Two artifacts had been discovered. Five remained.

Morningstar, in need of rest, returned to his home. There, he spent time alone with his thoughts, pondering the gift of the late Mountain King. He dug his feet into the sand, his eyes locked on the sparkling waves. Their duel felt unfinished.

Edited by Morningstar