[F05-PP] Shark Bait Training Program <<Bloodstained Land>>

The streets of Fortaleza were always quieter in the mornings, most of the locals still rousing themselves or arguing to a designated guardian to have five more precious minutes under the covers.  Desert nights were frequently colder than most expected, with so little cloud above or vegetation and moist ground to lock in the heat.  Everything bled into the starry night sky only for the sun to return and scorch every surface anew the next day.  Having just completed a circuit through the Devil's Pass, he and Persi had stopped to visit her family along their way back.  Twin blue eyes glowed in the shadows under the bench across from his own where the shadow mongoose had curled up after their return to town.  She peered his way from time to time, checking to make sure her pet hadn't wandered away.  As familiars went, she was definitely among the most snooty and possessive he'd ever met, but she fought well.  A few rumours had even circulated about her prowess at downing field bosses all on her own.  Freyd snorted, nearly sipping the coffee in his hands through his nose by mistake.  They weren't wrong.

A ruckus erupted behind the beaded curtains passing for doors and many-layered, multi-coloured folds of cloth adorning the front of the mud brick shack that passed as Abdullah's abode and business establishment.  Freyd had little use or tolerance for the NPC who lazed about like some grandiose arrogant fop while the rest of the meager town's inhabitant scrambled for a daily spoon's fill of brackish water.  Clattering crashes of smashing pottery raised the standard level of mundane mischief within the abode to a second stage, drawing even Persi's snoozy attention and ire.  How dare they interrupt her beauty sleep?  Especially after she'd just put up with cousin Pooky's incessant pouncing while visiting the den.  Her blue eyes glared in Freyd's direction before shutting tight to vanish in the dark once again.

"Fine," he grumbled, dismissing his half-finished drink, dreading that it might just have spilled all over the rest of his stuff in whatever elsewhere stuff went when he sent it back to inventory.  Coffee-scented everything wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but sticky coffee-scented everything was just... no. 

"Don't lift a paw or anything, sweetheart," he added sarcastically, wandering towards the curtain and hearing rising voices locked in an increasingly heated argument.  "I'll just go check on it for you, shall I?"

So it was that a black gloved hand parted the sea of beads, allowing a black-cowl head to peer inside.  Despite their protests to the contrary, Persi and her master shared their love of silence and shadows. The matching monochromatic scheme of his new cloth armor matching to a tee.

"Hey.  What's the problem in here?  People...and, err... mongooses... are still trying to sleep."  His head turned back outside for a second.  "Mongeese?  Mongooses?  Which is it?  I always forget."

Snores came as the only response from beneath the bench.

Quest link: https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/20429-f05/?do=findComment&comment=630448

Freyd consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (6/6) - 1 portion+filled (rest shared with group)
Armageddon Juice (Potion) | Damage 3 | 179913
Madlad Muffin | Tierless Rare Meal | EVA 2 | 215234
Divinity's Wait (Meal) | T4 Mitigation 3 | 188383-2

Note: CS (Shades of the Gemini) is in use.  If any other player objects to this, please state in first post and it will be considered inactive.

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 152/152 | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 7 | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125                                                

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadow
Level: 33
Paragon Level: 123
HP: 1140/1140
EN: 152/152

Stats:
Damage: 21+3
Mitigation: 45+60
Evasion: 3+2
Accuracy: 4+2+1
Battle Healing: 62
Loot Dice: 6
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
PARA IMMUNE
REC: 8
V.D.: 125

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride | T4 MA | FLN 2 | HLY 2
Armor: Black Cowled Traveling Garb | T4 CA | VD 2 | REC 2
Misc: Shadowed Rose (ACC 3 | Para.Imm)

Combat Mastery: Damage R3
Combat Shift: AOE
Familiar Skill: Grappling Familiar
Custom Skill: Shades of the Gemini

Skills:
Martial Arts R5
Battle Healing R5
Cloth Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change
Extended Mod Limit
Extended Weight Limit
Fighting Spirit
Howl

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Athletics
Emergency Recovery
Untraceable
Detect

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Focus
Precision
Nimble
Reveal
Stamina
Focused Howl

Active Extra Skills:
Disguise
Survival
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority

Inactive Extra Skills:
Frozen Hide
Brawler
Photosynthesize
Hiding R2

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+10% HP) x7
T4 Vitality (+16 EN) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk:  Hope's Covenant - Resolve +4 (T4 Demonic Weapon (MA) - AA, Phase, Frostbite, VO)  x1
EWL:  The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic MA, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off))    x1
EWL: Fight O'er Flight (ACC 2 | EVA 2) x1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt
Practiced Angler: +2 Fishing EXP per attempt, addition +1 LD/CD to fishing attempts
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [1/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Tanos Statue: +25 Mitigation for a thread.

Wedding Ring: n/a

Fishing: Level 4 | 461XP                                         

Edited by Freyd
  • 1 month later...

Wulfrin had come up to Fortaleza after receiving a message that Freyd was ready to initiate his "Shark Bait Training Program", a fitting name considering Wulfrin was simply along for the ride on this one. The morning sun was already starting to scorch the earth and was a drastic change from the pleasant fields of Floor 1 that Wulfrin was accustomed to. The desert cities streets were filled with colorful market stalls. Instantly Wulfrin was able to recognize the inspiration of the floor, Arabian deserts. The streets looked like the movie Aladdin had jumped out of the screen and took over the entirety of Floor 5 of The Floating Castle. The only thing that would make the feeling much more authentic, would be if he had come after all the streets started bustling. A bazaar like this, must be a lively sight. Then he heard the sound of a familiar voice coming from nearby.

"Hey.  What's the problem in here?  People...and, err... mongooses... are still trying to sleep." Freyd had retreated from the beads for a moment. "Mongeese?  Mongooses?  Which is it?  I always forget."

"Mongooses," Wulfrin affirmed having overheard the tail end of Freyd's grumblings. He gave a friendly wave to the yawning mongoose that had awoken briefly if only to determine if Wulfrin was a friend or a foe. "Well I guess mongeese would also work, but mongooses is the official one. Why it doesn't work like geese, I have no idea." Wulfrin no longer looked like the newbie he had started as a few days ago. Now he donned a red leather coat that extended to just below his knees with black sleeves. Affixed to his shoulders and forearms were ornate silver and gold trimmed plates. They seemed to be just as protective as they were ornate. A new longsword was affixed to his left hip. Its boar tusk hilt serving as a reminder of his first boss fight, the same one he had been helped out by the duo.

"So my shadowy mentor," Wulfrin added as he joined Freyd through the beads. "What are these rowdy NPCs getting all worked up for?"

Wulfrin consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2

Wulfrin | HP: 120/120 | EN: 30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

Spoiler

Wulfrin
Level: 6
HP: 120/120
EN: 30/30

Stats:
Damage: 8
Mitigation: 20
Evasion: 0
Accuracy: 3+2
Loot Dice: 2
REC: 1
Stealth: -1
Mitigation: 20

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Steel Longsword | T1 SS | DMG 3
Armor: Armored Coat | T1 LA | MIT 2 | REC 1
Misc: Dioscuri | T1 Jewelry | ACC 3

Skills:
Straight Swords R2
Light Armor R2
Searching R2

Active Mods:
Night Vision

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x4
Starter Healing Potions (+50 HP) x3
T1 Uncommon Healing Potions (+6 HP) x6
T1 Uncommon Damage Potion (+1 DMG for thread) x1
T1 Uncommon Overhealth Potion (+6 Mac HP for thread) x1

Fishing: Level 1 | 0 XP

"Oh, apparently someone peeled Abdullah's grapes the wrong way, or something equally meaningless," Freyd replied, waving his hand dismissively towards the overdressed fop in the corner. The getup was a bit much, looking like a sultan, wrapped in heavily patterned silks studded with gemstones and precious metals. The mutual dislike between Wulfrin's friend and the NPC was palpable from the moment he'd parted the beads.

"Come to seek permission to hunt in my domain again, pleb?  Why should I grant you such an honour?"  A local peasant girl wearing threadbare rags held a tray out with offerings of wine, sweets and ice-cold water.  Each carafe, alone, was likely worth more than she'd make in her lifetime, to say nothing of their contents.  Freyd's eyes rolled with disdain.  

"Quest says that we need to talk.  We've talked.  Your permission is meaningless.  Have fun parading your alleged opulence within the confines of these four walls.  We both know you'd get ganked by your own people if you ever stepped out the door.  Ciao, asshole."

Freyd spun and left the room to the clatter of beaded curtains that twisted and interlocked against each other, possibly because he'd smeared them with a contact adhesive as he passed.  Cursing could be heard behind them as Abdullah's grand entrance became a tangled mess to his own gilded cage.  It seemed a fitting way to lock such an impetuous child in his own room as a time-out.

"Hey, Wulf," he added, his mood instantly and drastically instantly at the sight of his young protégé.  "First bit's taken care of.  You want nothing to do with that guy.  I don't even know why he's part of the quest at all.  Personally, I take great pleasure in tweaking his nose about it every chance I get.  Useless git."

Edited by Freyd

"Let me guess," Wulfrin held up his hands in acceptance. "Pretentious prick that spent too much time eating from a silver spoon?" Wulfrin chuckled he knew they type well. Most of the time the rich folk of the world wanted nothing to do with the commoners. Money talked in their world without it, you had no voice. "For someone who's domain continues to be a bloody mess due to a boss, he sure is keen to exploit the adventurers willing to face it down." Wulfrin took a seat on the bench next to the sleeping mongoose. "Since you've named this the Shark Bait Training Program, I assume you have a plan? I'm sure even with my gear, its damage mitigation will likely absorb all of it. Not to mention it will probably one shot me." Wulfrin looked to his cowled companion for guidance. He had been trying his best to prepare himself for this fight, but at such a low level he didn't hold much confidence that he could contribute. Armed with the knowledge he was likely just going to ride the coat tails of Freyd, he simply wanted to reduce his own risk. "Any chance I might be getting access to the unique skill I saw listed on the info broker page?"

"Don't even go near the whole 'unique skill' debacle." Pinching the bridge of his nose at the thought of the anguish those damnable skills had caused, Freyd swore they had only ever been crafted to sow mistrust and breed envy among the player base.  The entire concept seemed fatally and deliberately flawed.  A quickly sent party invite helped him better assess Wulfrin's progress.  "You're doing great, especially in such a short time, but this mob can be downright lethal.  Your assessment is also correct: it would eat you alive while you could only gum at its tenders and still likely prove to be ineffective.  I prefer not to sugar-coat it, so no one gets any bad ideas," he added, seeing Wulfrin's face pale by the slightest shade.

"Give me a few swings at it to make sure that I've got its complete attention.  When I signal, you can lay into it to your heart's desire.  Even if you don't deal much damage, getting used to the movement patterns and tactics of these types of mobs is important.  And, you'll be facing their like on your own, soon enough."

Quickly surveying his companion's new gear with nodding approval, Freyd tugged and prodded a little as any good appraiser would.

"Good.  Practical.  Not like some of these ridiculous regalias some players kit themselves with that just get in their way.  Nothing scream 'noob' more than getting whomped because your tripped over your own frills and excess."

Gently scratching Persi behind the ears, she purred and trilled, pressing herself against his hand like a back scratcher.

"Come on, you," he added, chuckling.  "It's time to earn your breakfast."

Pointing towards the nearest gate, Freyd led them out of town and down a nearby hill towards a dust bowl in the distance.

"It lives in there, preying on anything foolish enough to draw near.  That'll be me.  Just hang back along the rocky ridge until I say otherwise.  It can't burrow through stone."

Edited by Freyd

"Alright," Wulfrin replied standing up with purpose. "Good enough with me. If you think you've got it covered, I'll just wait for your signal. Worst case scream real loud before it devours you and I'll just teleport out. Normally I'd rush in to provide back up, but its been firmly  decided I have no chance." Wulfrin noted the frustration in Freyd's demeanor at his question about the skill. "Don't fret about the skill. I assumed we weren't going to get it. I simply saw it listed as a potential reward and was curious." The newly form party was solidified with the invite screen, and the two headed off towards the ridge.

"What do you know about <<The Scent's of The Wild>>?" Wulfrin asked on their travel. "I went and translated the tablet with another player named Nari, and I was just trying to gather as much info as I could, since I was planning on that being my next big quest chain." The two of them arrived at the ridge after a short walk through the desert wasteland. The dust bowl lay before them. It was definitely a boss arena. Wulfrin could identify those easily with his previous experience in other games. Normally he would steer clear of it by giving it a wide birth if it was in his path, but today it was the destination.

"It isn't you," Freyd clarified, regarding custom skills.  "Those things have just brought out the worst in people since they were first introduced.  You wouldn't believe half the nonsense, not to mention outright murder, those things have caused."  Waving a hand dismissively at the topic, he clearly preferred to move on.  "Glad to hear you have a crystal, though.  That's survival gear 101.  Anything goes wrong here, you use it, and don't hesitate.  This thing won't give any quarter."  Assured that he'd made his point, Freyd guided them towards a small, poorly used side path down beside the crest of the ridge.  

"Nari's good people - I think.  We've only just gotten to know each other recently, after she tanked for another group in the floor boss raid that opened up floor 28." He left out the parts where the knightess seemed to carry a hefty share of personal baggage.  First, because it wasn't his place.  Second, because he hadn't yet figured out what it was.  "I know the quest line you refer to.  It's not an easy one, and the group size is limited."  Freyd paused, looking over his shoulder as if assessing.  "I'd wait a while longer.  You're still just one bad AoE hit away from a permanently bad day.  If we could get you to tier two, you might be okay - provided you had a strong tank in front of you.  Nari could do it, or myself."  The offer was left open.  The first couple of quests were not too bad, but he couldn't recall all of the details of every mob's roster of abilities in the instant.  A single misstep would be all it took for things to go drastically wrong.

"Here we are."

Looking down into the depression below them, roughly a hundred feet in diameter, it had the feel of an arena about it.  Stone walls surrounded it completely, with a dusty series of swales and drifts moving around in the centre, until you spotted the cresting fin of the mob below that was its true motivator.  Whispering something into his cowl, Wulfie saw the tiny black streak of shadow depart from Freyd's pant-leg, disappearing silently over the edge of the rock wall and into the pit. Taking a moment to stretch and limber up his shoulders - a completely unnecessary act - the man casually walked off over the edge.

Crashing into the basin below, the drum sand echoed his impact and instantly alerted his enemy to his presence.  Motion ceased as the dust ring from his landing point drifted back down to ground, and, for an instant, all was eerily still.  Freyd stood, dusting himself off before assuming a combat stance, looking all that stranger in that he carried no apparent weapon.  Only a pair of black on black hand wraps covered his fists, so dark that they sucked in all light and looked to be as voids in the fabric of reality.

It took only an instant for the bulette to pivot and streak towards him, its agile, armored hide cresting the sands and it hurdled in a straight line that gave credence to its title.   Wulfie swore that if he'd blinked, he would have missed its movement completely.  At the last moment, the entire creature leapt up from the sands, looking like a veritable great white with legs - nothing but a giant maw with endless razor-sharps rows of teeth whose entire purpose and existence was governed by an overwhelming need to feed.  Freyd still hadn't moved.  He didn't need to, but only because of the bond and trust he shared with his familiar.

Just as the sand shark was about to wrap its jaws around him, Persi burst forth from the sands on its flank and drove her tiny black form into the beasts softer underbelly, veering if off target just enough to pass Freyd on his left side.  As she did, he too spun like some sort of spoopy matador using himself as bait instead of a red cape.  A keening screech erupted from his hands as Samael's Pride released its seals.  Though it was hard to see at this distance, Wulfie swore he saw Freyd smile at the sound.  Loose dust and sand from all around him converged on Freyd's position like someone had just activated the world's biggest vacuum cleaner.  The hole over his hands suctioned even light itself as he wheeled and struck the passing mob with enough force to temporarily suspend the draw from his twin singularities.  

Terra Firma's underside exploded in a cloud of orange fractal motes and broken digital mesh as Freyd's hands seared through its body like a hot knife through butter, disintegrating its virtual flesh with his touch and instantly redirecting its trajectory perpendicular to its original course.  The bulette smashed against the far wall, hard, crumpling like a car and crash test dummy all in one, in what would otherwise have been considered a spectacularly failed test.

Without a word, Freyd held up a hand and signaled to Wulfie that he could enter the ring.  Everything had gone according to plan.

Spoiler

Post Action | AoE-I (x15, 11 EN, +2 shift, +2/hit): 15 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 12 EN.  
Free Action [skill] | Grappling Familiar (CD 0/5)
Free Action [item] | Crystal of Divine Light (1/thread)

ID #219275 | BD: 6+7-4-1=8 (hit, Fallen +24).  DMG (15*48=720-150=570) (CD 9 | ST-B Unlocked)

Freyd takes double damage until next turn.

Terra Firma is stunned.  Stun fades.

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 140/152 (152-12) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 7 | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(2,0) Terra Firma | HP: 280/950 | DMG: 300 | MIT: 150 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 4 | STUNNED | F.Stun.Imm (1/3) (950-570)

Abilities:

• Move Swiftly | This boss is impervious to benefits provided by the Concentration skill. Additionally, all players suffer a -1 penalty to BD when attacking this boss.
  • Hard-Scaled | Paralysis, Paralytic Venom, and Freeze are ineffectual against this boss.
  • Deaf | This mob has no ears, and therefore is immune to the effects of debuff songs.
  • Weak Spots | On a Player's natural BD of 9 or 10 when attacking this creature, they will gain 50% Phase for that attack. This does not stack with the Phase enhancement.
  • Assault Mode | If a Player has exploited one of Terra Firma's <<Weak Spots>> during the battle, Terra Firma will activate <<Assault Mode>>. On an LD of 11+, this mob will identify stealthed Players. Its ACC and EVA will swap for the duration of its attack, then revert to normal. It will gain 50% Phase on a BD of 9, and 100% Phase on a BD of 10 or higher. BD modifiers such as ACC can activate these Phase attributes.

Edited by Freyd

The drums of Aincrad's battle music kicked up signifying the start of the boss battle. The great white shark with legs burst from the ground not far from Freyd. A streak of inky black darkness was not far behind. He had witnessed the same move against Mama Boar a few days back. The darkness left the land shark immobilized as Freyd leapt into action. The movements from both parties were much faster than Wulfrin was able to track. He wasn't used to combat being so swift and fast paced. After a brief exchange, Freyd backed off and signaled for Wulfrin to enter the fray.

Wulfrin knew his options were limited, but that didn't stop him from jumping straight into the fray on Freyd's signal. From atop the ridge Wulfrin drew his sword and left into the ring. The pomel of his new longsword shrown with a crimson red light as he rocketed towards the bulette. The hide was tougher than he had even predicted. The impact didn't do anything physically to him, but it still sent a shock throughout Wulfrin. He rolled off the beast's hide and put distance between Terra Firma and himself. The HP bar of the field boss was already well below half, so Wulfrin just put Freyd between the bulette and himself. Wulfrin was woefully unprepared for this fight, and that fact was made painfully clear. Now that he was face to face with the beasty, Wulfrin's fragile life was put into proper perspective. Wulfirn gritted his teeth. There was no backing down from this now.

"I attempted a stun!" Wulfrin shouted as he shook off his previous impact. "Unfortunately, I think its hide might be too much for me to punch through!" All he could do was watch as Freyd was left to face down Terra Firma alone. "I'll keep making attempts but I don't think I'm going to get through!"

Spoiler

Post Action | TECH-A (x6, 7 EN): 7 EN  
Free Action | Nothin I ain't that good yet

ID #219278 | BD: 2+5 = 7-4 = 3 miss

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 140/152 (152-12) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 7 | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 23/30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(2,0) Terra Firma | HP: 280/950 | DMG: 300 | MIT: 150 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 4 |  F.Stun.Imm (1/3) (950-570)

Abilities:

• Move Swiftly | This boss is impervious to benefits provided by the Concentration skill. Additionally, all players suffer a -1 penalty to BD when attacking this boss.
  • Hard-Scaled | Paralysis, Paralytic Venom, and Freeze are ineffectual against this boss.
  • Deaf | This mob has no ears, and therefore is immune to the effects of debuff songs.
  • Weak Spots | On a Player's natural BD of 9 or 10 when attacking this creature, they will gain 50% Phase for that attack. This does not stack with the Phase enhancement.
  • Assault Mode | If a Player has exploited one of Terra Firma's <<Weak Spots>> during the battle, Terra Firma will activate <<Assault Mode>>. On an LD of 11+, this mob will identify stealthed Players. Its ACC and EVA will swap for the duration of its attack, then revert to normal. It will gain 50% Phase on a BD of 9, and 100% Phase on a BD of 10 or higher. BD modifiers such as ACC can activate these Phase attributes.

A swift nod and pivot to reposition.  Wulfrin had reaffirmed his promise by finding guts enough to face this monster.  Freyd gladly resumed his guard as the beast shook off the daze from their previous assault.  A nod was all to be spared.  Freyd dare not take his eyes or attention from their foe, not even for an instant.  It's recover would be no less speedy.  Better to take it down while they had the opportunity, and not take any chances.  Triggering the skill by mental command, the void surround Freyd's hands faded, along with its keening, to be replaced by the more familiar purple miasma that had brought down Mama Boar.

Launching forward, he deftly dodged the bulette's counter, sliding low and beneath the mob - a risky move, but worthwhile as his hands gripped its hind leg and tripped it prone again.  Freyd knew he had to act fast or it would vanish beneath the sands.  Bracing his legs against the same rock wall where it had rebounded, he pushed off and caught the thing around its massive neck.  Every muscle in Freyd's body strained to its limit as he heaved with all his might.  Using his added momentum, he flipped the entire mob over his head and slammed into the ground between he and his companion.  A giant cloud of sand and dust rose to cover the battlefield, obscuring everything.  When it finally cleared, only a massive crater remained, the wisps of Terra Firma's digital remains disappearing into the sands.  Freyd was still kneeling and gulping air like a fish out of water, from the exertion.  His gamble had worked, barely.

"Well," he croaked, throat choked with sand.  "That wasn't so hard."

*cough* *cough* *HACK* *cough*

Laughing only made it worse.

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 12 (+8 REC proc) ID #219283
Cooldowns: Grappling Familiar (1/5)

Post Action | ST-B (x20, 20 EN): 20 EN - (Rested 1/2, Stamina) = 17 EN
Free Action [skill] | (Quick Change (CD 0/3): Swap 'The Thing Behind All Lies' for 'Samael's Pride')

ID #219282 | BD: 3+8-4-1=6 (hit) DMG (20*24=480-150=330) to Terra Firma.

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 135/152 (140+4+8-17) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 

(4,0) Terra Firma | HP: 0/950 | DMG: 300 | MIT: 150 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 4 |  F.Stun.Imm (2/3) (280-330)

Abilities:

Edited by Freyd

"You'd think that cowl of yours would help with the sand problem," Wulfrin said as he returned his blade to it proper resting place. "So what's next? You made two strikes against that thing and didn't even take a hit yourself." Wulfrin had a puzzled look on his face, as he fund it hard to tell if Freyd was playing it up or if the fight had taken more out of him than was visibly noticeable. Wulfrin shrugged. "At any rate at least Mr. Silver Spoon, will at least be somewhat pleased..." Wulfrin stopped himself. "... Who am I kidding nothing can satisfy that man except maybe his twelfth mistress of the day." Wulfrin began making his way out of the basin. "Maybe we can find a fishing spot on the way, unless this thing respawns and we are taking it on again." Wulfrin took a second to examine the battlefield. He hadn't seen Persi return to her master's side. As the shadows began to return to Freyd's side, he could have sworn he saw the beady eyes of the mongoose, but it was hard to tell since all the black removed most of the fine details from his body.

"Uh... to be perfectly honest, it rarely actually goes that smoothly."  Scratching at the back of his cowl, Freyd was a little perplexed at the fact that the mob had already fallen.  "Unfortunately, I don't think we managed to get you the skill unlock, but we can always come back and try again once you're ready to smoke this thing on your own."  He patted Wulfrin's shoulder, jovially, proud to see that the man was coming along so quickly.

"Not too many decent fishing spots near Fortaleza."  The burning desert wind and overwhelmingly arid, barren landscape slapped Wulfrin in the face as they crested out of the pit, reminding him of where they were.  "As to Abdullah Fancy-pants, I wouldn't worry too much about..."

"Ahem."  Turning to look up the path, Freyd instantly recognized four of the same fop's goons blocking their way up the path.  "Boss don't like your lack of respect.  Boss don't like you.  So now we get to deal with you, just like the boss said."

Freyd's shoulders slumped.  He figured that the gang leader would try something stupid like this eventually.  "Come on guys.  Only four of you?  This is just insulting."  Even as he spoke, shadows lengthened beneath everyone's fee and rose to stand as silhouettes on their own, oppressively bearing down on the newly arrived mobs and drowning out all light and sound except for Freyd's voice.  Not everyone's version of howl involved a lot of yelling.

Spoiler

Cooldowns: Grappling Familiar (2/5), Quick Change (1/3)

Post Action | Howl (CD 0/2, 2 EN)
Free Action | None

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 13/152 (135-2) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 

(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 1 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 2 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 3 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 4 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198

"So, let me get this straight," Wulfrin smirked as he drew his blade. "You think you can take us down, even though you couldn't face the thing we just killed." Wulfrin took an offensive stance. "Not exactly loyal to his brand." Wulfrin became a streak of red as he closed the distance almost instantly. The fanatic that made their crew known took a strike straight to the gut, sending them to the ground in writhing pain. Wulfrin stood over the maniac as its companions charged towards Freyd. The Whisper simply sidestepped the incredibly uncoordinated crew, watching as they stumbled around tripping on their own shadows. "Might I suggest rethinking your plans?" Wulfrin pointed the tip of his blade to the loud spoken "leader" of the group, who was just starting to recover from Wulfrin's gut shot. These lowly mooks were way more his speed. Wulfrin had no doubt they would hurt if they stuck him, but if Freyd could keep their attention, the duo could easily smoke the poor unfortunate NPC souls that clearly picked the wrong fight. "Let's show these guys the business." 

Spoiler

Wulfrin regains 1 energy

Post Action | Tech A vs Abdullah Maniac (7 EN)
Free Action | None

ID #219330 | BD: 4+5 = 9 | Hit
8 * 6 = 48 DMG
Abdullah Maniac 1 is stunned

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 13/152 (135-2) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 17/30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(3,1) Abdullah Maniac 1 | HP: 348/396 | DMG 198 | Stunned
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 2 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 3 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198
(3,0) Abdullah Maniac 4 | HP: 396/396 | DMG 198

Mob Turn:

Abdullah Maniac 1 is stunned | stun ends

Abdullah Maniac 2 attacks Freyd
BD: 1 - 5 = -4 | Critical Miss
ID: 219331

Abdullah Maniac 3 attacks Freyd
BD: 3 - 5 = -2 | Miss
ID: 219332

BD: 2 - 5 = -3 | Miss
ID: 219333

"Agreed," came the response between sighs and the sounds of quickly shifting cloth.  Freyd danced between his assailants with something akin to elegance as they clumsily charged and swung their weapons without guile or talent.  Abdullah really needed higher standards if he thought these goons were going to stand a chance, but then no one could be sure how long the mobster had been pressing Fortaleza under his thumb.  Part of him wondered whether these were the same men who offered the town what little protection it had from the denizens of the desert.  Depriving them of that might be a problem, but on that would have to wait.  The fools and their boss were hardly giving them a choice in the matter.  

A low sweep kick knocked all three enemies prone and sent them scrambling to regroup.  The one already injured by Wulfrin would never stand again.  

"Come on.  Let's finish this.  We have a quest to turn in."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 3 (No REC proc) ID #219338

Post Action | AoE-I (x15, 11 EN, +2 shift, +2/hit): 21 EN - (Rested 1/2, Stamina) = 18 EN
Free Action | None

ID #219334 | BD: 6+8=14 (hit). DMG (15*24=360) to Abdullah Maniac 1
ID #219335 | BD: 2+8=10 (hit). DMG (15*24=360) to Abdullah Maniac 2

ID #219336 | BD: 6+8=14 (hit). DMG (15*24=360) to Abdullah Maniac 3
ID #219337 | BD: 3+8=11 (hit). DMG (15*24=360) to Abdullah Maniac 4

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 119/152 (133+4-18) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 17/30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(5,1) Abdullah Maniac 1 | HP: 348/396 | DMG 198 (348-360)
(5,0) Abdullah Maniac 2 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (396-360)
(5,0) Abdullah Maniac 3 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (396-360)
(5,0) Abdullah Maniac 4 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (396-360)

Loot Abdullah Maniac 1: ID #219422 | LD: 2+7=9 | CD: 2
2786 col (HP[398]*7 - incl. +4 CD/LD even)
T4 Uncommon Consumable 219422

Edited by Freyd

With Freyd having lashed out and finishing the one Wulfrin had at sword point, Wulfrin turned to help out his companion. As the remaining three struggled to regain their footing following Freyd's onslaught, Wulfrin readied his sword art. A green energy covered the blade of his sword. The system took over and his body left into the air. With a graceful dance, sword and master as one, Wulfrin executed a three part combo. The first strike bisected the first of the three remaining maniacs. On his way to wards the second, Wulfrin lost his footing, the energy exertion had caught up to him in that split second causing his strike to go wide. He gritted his teeth and refocused the attack. He regained his footing and finished the combo with the bifurcation of the third maniac. Using the opening in Wulfrin's onslaught the remaining maniac lunged at Freyd, who simply sidestepped with absolutely no care. The fight was basically over.

"Really?" Wulfrin said between his exhausted breaths. "You're still wanting to go down swinging? I admire the effort, but you should really learn to gauge when a battle is over." He knew the words were falling on deaf ears as they were after all an NPC, but it still felt good to trash talk. They did bring it on themselves for challenging the duo.

Spoiler

Wulfrin regains +1 EN
CD 3 (No REC proc) ID #219338

Post Action | AoE-I (x5,  5 + 2*3targets): 11 EN
Free Action | None

ID #219349 | BD: 4+5=9 (hit). DMG (8*5=40) to Abdullah Maniac 2
ID #219350 | BD: 1+5= 6 (Critical Miss). DMG (0) to Abdullah Maniac 3
ID #219351 | BD: 6+5=11 (hit). DMG (8*4=40) to Abdullah Maniac 4

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 119/152 (133+4-18) | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 7/30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(5,1) Abdullah Maniac 1 | HP: 348/396 | DMG 198 (348-360)
(5,0) Abdullah Maniac 2 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (36-40)
(5,1) Abdullah Maniac 3 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (0)
(5,0) Abdullah Maniac 4 | HP: 36/396 | DMG 198  (36 - 40)

Mob turn:

BD: 8 - 5 = 3 | Miss
ID: 219352

Edited by Wulfrin

"Nice moves," Freyd said, eager to see his companion starting to stretch his wings a bit.  It hadn't taken long at all.  Refocusing on their lone remaining foe, the Whisper thought he'd give it a go, just in case.

"Will you yield?"  There was little hope that the mob could actually do so, but a recent experience with treants up on floor eight had revealed that the system did occasionally allow for it.

"Yield?  To your punk asses?  Not happening."  Half the thug's leg was ready to collapse and crumble to dust, but still he chose defiance.  How much of that was Cardinal's influence.  It wasn't like mobs were truly given a choice, in most cases.  A shrugging Freyd swept and dodged low, feigning another knockdown.  The mob fell for it and overreached, only to find his target's fist at his chin, delivering a nasty uppercut that sent him two feet up into the air.  He never came down, or at least not in less than a thousand pieces.

"Regrettable."  By his tone, one might have believed that Freyd actually meant it.  "Hopefully that will be the last of those. Now, let's go tell Abdullah what happened to his men."

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 1 (No REC proc) ID #219424

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (, Stamina) = 10 EN
Free Action | None

ID #219423 | BD: 7+8=15 (hit). DMG (12*24=288) to Abdullah Maniac 3

Freyd | HP: 1140/1140 | EN: 119/152 (119+4- | DMG: 24 | MIT: 105 | EVA: 5 | ACC: 8 (inc. AA) | BH: 62 | LD: 6 | PVO | BLGT 32 | STC 40 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | V.D.: 125  
Wulfrin | 
HP: 120/120 | EN: 7/30 | DMG 8 | MIT: 20 | ACC: 5 | LD: 2 | REC: 1

(7,1) Abdullah Maniac 3 | HP: 0/396 | DMG 198  (36-288)

Loot Abdullah Maniac 3: ID #219425 | LD: 12+7=19 | CD: 2
2786 col (HP[398]*7 - incl. +4 CD/LD even)
T4 Perfect Consumable 219425a
T4 Rare Trinket 219425b

Edited by Freyd

Having gathered what they could from the "rich guy mafia", the duo started their trek back towards Abdullah. "I take it those thugs aren't part of the quest itself?" Wulfrin asked. "I'm not complaining, I felt like I contributed more to the ruffians. That and it felt good to stick it to the man." Wulfrin could only wonder if that was how Cardinal saw the real world. The arid desert was worse now that the sun had reached its peak. The rays scorched the area to the point Wulfrin was afraid he may start to see HP drain. "I doubt Abdullah is going to be too happy wen h finds out about his goons," Wulfrin added. "But let's be honest, if he really thought they would succeed, h wouldn't have a respawning bulette on his hands. You'd think that would put a bit of gratitude in his demeanor, but I guess the "I'm rich so those below me don't matter" way of thinking strikes again." Wulfrin stared with disgust at the capital city coming into view. "What I wouldn't give to charge through his doors and unseat his sorry ass from that gilded throne."

Looting Abdullah Maniac 2: ID: 219428 | LD: 14+2= 16 | CD: 7

1980 col ([396*2 = 792]LD even + [398*3 = 1188])
+2 materials CD odd
T1 Rare Consumable 219428a
T1 Rare Armor/Shield 219428b

Looting Abdullah Maniac 4: ID: 219429 | LD: 2+2=4 | CD: 2

2772 col ([396*3=1188]+[396*2=792]LD even+[396*2=792]CD even)

** NOTATION: first time looting did not realize they needed to be on the same post as the death of the monster **

Edited by Wulfrin

"I've completed this quest over half a dozen times, and that was the first ever where he tried something like this."  Freyd seemed positively gleeful, a light kindling behind his eyes at the prospect that Abdullah's behavior had changed.  "Months of baiting was required, but he finally bit!"  Rubbing his chin reflexively with thumb and index finger, the Whisper was clearly deep in thought.  "Imagine what it could mean if we could actually alter the set behaviour of static NPCs.  It's a potentially total game-changer - literally."

Wandering back into the small dusty settlement, Freyd felt compelled to temper his companion's temperament, if just a tad. "Don't be too eager to go smash things in safe zones.  Even if the system allowed it, you'd probably earn yourself a temporary orange cursor, and things would spiral from there.  Every played an MMO when a hostile player from another faction walks into your team's capital?  Ever see every guard suddenly converge and whoop his ass to oblivion?  It's funny as hell, normally, until you see it here and realize that some fool or otherwise unfortunate soul just got themselves killed.  Even if you survived, odds are that all the extra strikes you'd earn scrambling out of town would make that icon permanent.  Nah, if you want to take on someone like Abdullah, you find out if he has a secret lair in a dungeon somewhere and go after him there."

A wicked grin flashed across Freyd's features at those words, while his eyes glared longingly through a certain beaded curtain.  Now was not the time, but perhaps a quest for some other later day?

"You mentioned you've been baiting him," Wulfrin asked his companion. "You mean you've been trying to get him to lash out at you?" Wulfrin pondered the possibilities. His temper had cooled significantly on their walk. He still harbored hatred towards those who exploited those below them for their own gain, but at least the thought of possibly finding a lair seemed to satiate the anger. It also gave him something to look forward to. "These dungeons you mentioned," Wulfrin found the idea of dungeons exciting. "How do you access those and are they worth doing?" Wulfrin could see the gears turning in the head of his companion, The Whisper. Wulfrin knew he was still way to low of a level to go anywhere like that with Freyd, but it didn't stop him from thinking and longing for the chance to smash in a pretty boy's face. Then the two pushed their way into the room beyond the beaded curtains.

"They're everywhere, all around us - even here in safe zones.  The trick is to know where and when to look."  Freyd seemed mildly amused by Wulfrin's interest, recalling his own initial ambitions in the days and weeks following his own departure from the Town of Beginnings.  

"More often than not, you can find maps leading to them on random mobs as loot.  They're rare, mind you, but definitely findable.  Many are also far from obvious.  I've had them open up right under my feet, suck me into spiraling anomalies, appear as ruins inconsistent with their surroundings, etc.  There really is no limit to them.  And they are generally worth doing, though I highly recommend bringing a party of capable adventurers along with you.  They can be very unforgiving."  Feeling that he'd whetted the man's appetite enough for one day, Freyd left it at that and parted the clinking curtain.  Wulfrin noticed his appearance shift as he did so.  By the time he reached the other side, Freyd stood as one of Abdullah's fallen goons, right down to the pierced ears, second hand sweat-stained wifebeater and excessively bedazzled vest.  The suddenness and accuracy of the change was staggering.

"S'done, boss," he replied, perfectly matching the dullard's awkward speech right down to the whistling of breath through his missing teeth.  "Twerps got what they deserved fo' sassin' ya.  Boyz an' I took cares of it."

Mad cackling laughter could be heard from inside, followed by an expletive-laden tirade over the perceived slights and injustices the poor, maligned mob had been forced to endure, not to mention the appalling fashion slights inflicted by their very presence within the aura of his magnificence.  Yeah.  It was laid on rather thick.  Freyd escaped back through the curtain during the shrill diatribe, certain that Abdullah had already ceased paying attention to anyone but himself.  His briefly donned disguise faded just as quickly as it melded into place as Freyd turned and walked back the archway in the centre of Fortaleza's main plaza.

"I can't wait to see his face when I show up to do this quest again," he grinned, his smile spanning from one edge of his cowl to the other.

Edited by Freyd

"Neat trick," Wulfrin replied with a slight shake. "Disguises aren't quite my style. That being said, I'm sure it will be a very unwelcome surprise when you come back, assuming the system lets him remember you." Wulfrin let his mind wonder. Do NPCs hold grudges? He decided to shake the idea away. "Anyway thanks for the boss encounter. That mid-boss guarding the arena for the four real bosses was kind of a push over, but it was still a good learning experience." The two made their way to the teleport gate. Wulfrin was excited to get the desert floor behind him. He had grown tired of the sun, sand, and exhaustion that came from the combination. Even more than that he was grateful to put the pretentious Abdullah behind him as well. Perhaps there would be a day when Wulfrin would get a chance to actually take a swing at him. The duo parted ways at the teleport gate, with Wulfrin returning to floor one to continue his low level tutorial quests.

THREAD CLOSING:

Wulfrin receives:

2,903 EXP (Word Count [5759/10*1*0.7] + Quest [2500])
10,152 col (1 page [400] + Quest [5000]+ Maniac 2 [1980] + Maniac 4 [2772])

Terra Firma Scale (T3 MIT 1)
+2 materials
T1 Rare Consumable 219428a
T1 Rare Armor/Shield 219428b

Freyd receives:

6,450 EXP (Word Count [5759/10*16*0.7] + Quest [0])
6,539 col (15% P5 Reward [967] + Maniac 1 [2786] + Maniac 3 [2786])

Terra Firma Scale (T3 MIT 1)
T4 Uncommon Consumable 219422
T4 Perfect Consumable 219425a
T4 Rare Trinket 219425b