[SP-F6] Between Two Selves

Morningstar had spent the afternoon in Krycim, a village plentiful with natural beauty and with a miniscule population. There couldn't have been more than one-hundred villagers in the whole place and all of them were women. It wasn't comparable to the settlements on other floors. The NPCs lived in two completely different worlds.

That wasn't to say Morningstar didn't like Krycim. He found it pleasant, if nothing else. It was quiet and the villagers didn't bother him. In fact, unless he engaged them, they wouldn't speak to him at all. The last time he had visited the Town of Beginnings, he'd been hassled by not one, but two salespeople within an hour. It was tiresome.

The word was that floor six was the place to go if you wanted to collect yourself. There was even a quest for doing just that—although, he had no plans of attempting it yet. His soul did not need calming; rather, he looked for answers to the countless questions that ruminated in his mind.

He had come to find himself.

jGiiWFK.png

[ lv. 46  ->   l. 33 / p. 13 ]
MORNINGSTAR | HP: 760/760 | EN: 108/108 | DMG: 23 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 74 | EVA: 1 | LD: 6 | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PHASE: 1 | BH: 25 | THORNS: 36

Hide contents

notes.

Hide contents

equipped

• soulcursed blade
    VO II, AA I, PHASE I
  • vikhrov's legacy
    THORNS I, VD I, MIT I
  • sapphire
    ACC III, EVA I

battle-ready inventory

• n/a

skills.

Hide contents

mod count: 3/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • precision, stamina, ferocity
    • shift: tech
  • HEAVY ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • impetus, iron skin
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 5/5
    • night vision, detect
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 3/5
  • ENERGIST
  • CHARGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. FORGOTTEN KING'S AUTHORITY
  3. LADY LUCK

buffs.

Hide contents

statue

• n/a

consumables 

• n/a

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD

arts.

Hide contents

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x11 -> x14
  • TECH-A | x16 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x16 | DELAY
  • TECH-D | x16 | SHATTER

misc.

Hide contents
  • Well Rested | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
  • Squeaky Clean | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down).
  • Filling | Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30.
  • Tasty | Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread.
  • Relaxed | Increases out-of-combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • Advanced Training | +10% EXP to a thread. Limit one use per month. Must be used on a player's first post in a thread. Cooldown begins counting down when used in a post.
  • Multipurpose | Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Skylight (Unassigned) | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. 
  • Working | +2 EXP per crafting attempt

gathering

• n/a

Edited by Morningstar

And himself, he would find.

He knelt over a railing made from a Wimba tree, paying little attention to his surroundings. Another player, dressed in a black cloak, stepped up beside him. Morningstar glanced to his left, still leaning against the wooden railing. The player did not look at him, their head pointed straight towards the waterfall. Their face was shrouded behind their hood; Morningstar could not get a good luck underneath it.

"Can I help you?" Morningstar asked a bit too aggressively. 

Silently, the stranger turned away. Morningstar raised an eyebrow, looking behind him, watching the player walk deeper into the town. His curiosity got the better of him, as it so often did, and he chose to follow the odd player. He refrained from calling out to them or chasing after them. Instead, he kept their pace, drawing little attention to himself while refraining from losing sight of them.

Village turned to jungle and still, Morningstar pursued the stranger. There was something off about them. Maybe it was the way that they walked without turning to look around a single time. Maybe it was the fact that they knew the jungle like the back of their hand, needing no maps or guides to trek through its density. Wrapped in a cloak of his own, he maintained his secrecy, persistent yet wary of what was to come. His hand stayed close to his sword.

They came to a clearing after some time. It was a pretty spot, one of the few places on their path that allowed light to enter through the roof of the canopy. at the edge of the clearing, there was a pond. Besides the birds, nothing spoke.

That was, until the player did.

"I thought it was time we met," they said, their back turned to Morningstar. The player stood in front of the pond, a hummingbird fluttering around their head. "It's okay. I know you're there. You can come out."

Morningstar stepped into the clearing, dropping his hood, hoping the stranger would do the same. He recognized the voice but from where, he was unsure. "You wanted me to follow you, then?" He asked.

The player finally turned. "Yes."

"Who are you?"

Their hood came down and Morningstar's jaw dropped. His sword shot from its sheath. Then, he picked a new question. "What are you?"

The player laughed. "What do you mean 'what'? I'm you, Stephen!"

Morningstar was stunned. There were few players alive who knew his real name. Not only that but the man that stood across from clearing looked identical to him. "No, I'm pretty sure I'm me."

"Why can't we both be you?" His doppelganger countered.

He had no real response to the impossibly odd question. He wanted to blurt out 'because we can't' but knew he would be shut down by some sort of logical argument. He frowned. Why did he know that? The false Stephen Star removed his black cloak and it disappeared in the same way an item did when it was placed in an inventory. Even their armor was the same.

Edited by Morningstar

"Gross. We're still wearing this set? It makes us look so glum."

"Don't say us. You're not me."

"Really, Stephen? What do I need to do to prove it? Ugh, alright, fine. Your birthday is May 21, your favorite colour is red, and when you were a kid you broke your wrist doing a stunt for an action movie that nobody ever watched."

There was a pause while Morningstar tried to understand the situation. He put away his weapon, both confused and convinced, and moved to the pond. "Well, there isn't a soul I'd tell that last one to, so you must be the real deal. But, seriously, what the hell?"

"Not sure what to tell you, pal. I'm you and you're me. Now come and sit. I'm sure we have much to talk about."

"Oh yeah? Like what?" Morningstar asked, sitting next to his clone.

"Well, for starters, about the fact that you don't slow down."

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said. You finish a quest, save some NPCs, or take down an evil player killer and then what? You're right onto the next thing."

"There's a lot to do," Morningstar argued.

"Yeah, but you're not going anywhere. Take a damn break! And I mean a real break, not one of those 24 hour hiatuses you like to do to convince yourself that you're taking care of yourself."

He gave his doppelganger an annoyed look. "I don't do that," he lied, which didn't work.

"We've got the same brain, you know."

Morningstar stood, picking up a pebble and holding it between two fingers. He tossed it across the pond. It skipped twice.

"Have you even processed any of it, mate? And I don't just mean the fact that you're stuck in the game. I mean Lexa—and Elwood, too," he added. "The man died a few feet from you in the middle of his own living room and now you can't even think about him without wanting to throw yourself off a cliff."

"Stop."

"It wasn't your fault. He had a brain tumor. He had no chance to survive, but he lived a damn good life and a long one at that! And Lexa, the poor girl, went in died in a cave that you knew you should have stayed far away from. But that wasn't your fault either. She knew the risks just as well as you did—hell, maybe more. Still, she marched right in and died. And now you feel bad because there's another girl and you think you might-"

"Stop!"

They stared at each other with piercing eyes. Letting it go, the Gemini looked back at the pond, tossing another stone in the same way Morningstar had. It skipped twice.

Once Morningstar had calmed down, the Gemini started again. "I thought Halador told you to toss that sword."

Morningstar scoffed. "What do you know about it?"

"What don't I know about it? Not gonna heed his warning?" The Gemini asked.

Star sighed. "I don't know," he said, withdrawing his blade to inspect it. "It's a good, strong weapon. It was also a gift."

"Nobody really remembers the gifts they give."

"I know you don't really believe that."

"Yeah, well. I think it's at least worth considering switching to something else. There's plenty of fish in the sea, as the saying goes."

"I'm surprised," Morningstar, chuckled. "Didn't think I'd hate being around myself so much."

"Aw, I'm blushing," joked his clone. "But seriously. That sword has the potential to hurt you just as much as your enemies. It happened against Wushen and against that damn king. One time is a coincidence but two times is the beginning of a pattern. Promise me that if it happens again, you'll get rid of it."

Morningstar, with his eyes still locked on the bloody pattern of the weapon, nodded. "Fine."

Edited by Morningstar

The hummingbird flew back to the pond. It had left after Morningstar's abrupt outburst but now, things were silent. He had sat back down, next to the Gemini, and looked into the water. Normally, he would have been sad to see that there were no fish swimming in it; however, the pond lulled him into a state of acceptance. He was at peace. He wondered if that was why the clone had led him there.

"Yeah, that's about right."

"What, you can read my mind now?"

"No, I was just thinking the same thing."

"What's the difference?"

Neither of them could contain themselves. Simultaneously, they burst into laughter. Nothing about the scenario made sense to Morningstar, who's laugh had turned into a cough, eventually settling down once they ran out of breath.

"Hey," Morningstar murmured, "what do you think they're doing? On the other side, I mean."

The Gemini, for the first time, looked surprised. He thought about Morningstar's question before giving an answer he believed to be adequate. "It's getting late, so dad's probably cooking dinner. Maybe mom's reading. She did that a lot at night."

"Yeah, she did."

"Guess that's why we started. To be more like her."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Why do you think you're a bad son?"

Morningstar felt the need to cry; but, something in the pond would not allow it. Not even a lone tear touched his cheek. Instead, he said nothing, dropping to his back and staring up at the canopy of leaves. He saw a colourful bird fly overhead, as well as a snake wrapping itself around a long tree branch. The Gemini repeated the question, fishing for an answer.

"Because I never lived up to their expectations," Morningstar finally said.

The Gemini was unconvinced. "Is that it?"

Morningstar hesitated. "We left on bad terms. The next morning, they would have found me hooked up to the headset."

"You doubt that they even visit you. Why?"

"I acted like I was ungrateful for everything they'd given me, like I was better than it. Why would they?"

"Because you are their son. Because that's what kids do. They break your heart over and over again and still, you show up for them."

Now, not even the pond could stop him. Morningstar broke down, covering his eyes with his gauntlet. "I don't even remember what we argued about," he said, choking up.

The conversation moved on and Morningstar's tears dried up. They continued on a positive note, discussing what was going good for them. He told the Gemini how much he liked his new house, as well as his shop in the forest. He explained that nobody really came by and how that was okay because he didn't really want to work anyways. They recounted their brief time as a member of Team Freyd during the boss raid on the twenty-seventh floor. They had many new friends now and were pleasantly surprised by it.

"I mean, you play for long enough and you're bound to meet people eventually," Morningstar said.

"It's not like you didn't have friends before. It just happened that there were only a few. And two thirds of them died."

"Dude, come on. We were having a good time."

"You've gotta get past them eventually. It's been forever."

"Elwood only died last year," Morningstar corrected.

"Fair enough, I guess."

"You're a good guy, Stephen Star. Treat yourself like one," the Gemini said, standing up. "Come on, let's duel."

Morningstar jolted up. "What, now?"

"Well, I don't mean next week. Get up, we could die of heart failure at any moment. Let's live while we have the chance."

He couldn't help but chuckle, picturing what the fight would look like from the outside. It sounded ridiculous but, then again, so did the rest of it. He got up, dusting the dirt off his cloak and unequipping it. He asked his copy for the rules, to which the Gemini answered that there were none. It was to be a standard one versus one duel, with the exception that the Gemini was not a real player and could not accept a request. Death to either party was fully possible.

"If you need any buffs, feel free to eat up. Oh, and try not to teleport out if you get scared. I know you've never actually done it but it's always on your mind."

"Shut up," Star grinned, hunting through his inventory for a couple of items. He chugged back two potions and out came his sword. The Gemini did the same; however, to Morningstar's surprise, it wasn't the Soulcursed Blade. It was Meteor.

"Oh, look at this. Your trusty old pal. Bet you didn't expect I'd use this sword," the Gemini swung the weapon a few times, warming up.

Spoiler

Consuming the following:
Liquor of Light | DMG III
Mortal Instants | MIT III

Edited by Morningstar

Gold struck black, sparks flying from both blades. Morningstar was not accustomed to being last to attack. It made sense that the Gemini would make the first move, however. They were the same person, after all. Meteor struck Morningstar in the arm through an open piece of his armor. He winced.

"Lucky shot," Morningstar smirked.

"We'll see," the Gemini replied. "Did I mention that I like the new haircut? It feels good to wear it short again."

"You're the first to notice," Morningstar ran his hand through his messy locks.

"That's gotta sting," the Gemini laughed, charging in once more.

The only thing weirder than talking to himself was fighting with himself. They knew each others strengths and weaknesses too well; it was hard to make anything land. They danced back and forth, blades clashing, birds chirping. The hummingbird by the pond had not yet left, which surprised Morningstar. He thought the commotion would have sent all of the birds away. They remained just as loud. The hummingbird fluttered its wings, watching them.

Spoiler

Post Action | None. Gemini attacks first.
Free Action | None

ID 219285 | MD: 2+4+1-1=6 (hit) | 264-134=130 DMG to Morningstar. The Gemini takes 36 DMG from THRNS

Morningstar | HP: 630/760 (760-130) | EN: 108/108 | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 5 (6) | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PSE: 1 | BH: 25 | THRNS: 36

The Gemini | HP: 954/990 (990-36) | DMG: 264 | MIT: 66 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | PAR | BLD: 48

• Concentration | This boss gains +1 ACC for its first attack.
  • Disguise | This boss will adopt the appearance of the player through the entire fight, mocking their appearance.
  • Surprise Attack! | No matter what, this boss will attack first, before the player. The player may not act on the first turn. As this ruins any chance to put space between the player and the boss throughout the remainder of the fight.  The <<Charge>> skill cannot be used against <<The Gemini>>
  • Defy Death | During this fight, death can be avoided. Any attack that would leave either the player or the boss at zero will result in leaving either entity with 1 health point left. <<The Gemini>> will refuse to execute the player if they win, though the player may be much less merciful.
  • Fairness Check | For each consumable/temporary buff the player has when facing <<The Gemini>>, it will gain additional effects in accordance with the bullets listed below. For example, if the player has 3 buffs active, <<The Gemini>> will have Paralyze, Bleed, and bonus DMG. This ability will adjust mid-battle in the event that the player consumes buffs in the midst of combat.
    • 1) Gain Paralyze: Removes player action for one turn on natural MD rolls of 9-10.
    • 2) Gain Bleed: Deals (12 * Player's Tier) unmitigated damage every turn for two rounds on natural MD rolls of 9-10.
    • 3) Gain Damage: Increases DMG by (Player's Level).
    • 4) Gain Mitigation: Increases MIT by (Player's Level x 2).
    • 5) Gain Health: Increases HP by (Player's Level x 5).

Edited by Morningstar

Morningstar smirked, weaving a kick into the flurry of sword swings. The Gemini, was surprised, a characteristic that the blonde thought it lacked. He jabbed his blade into the clone's shoulder, not powerfully enough to pierce the armor but enough to send him stumbling backwards. The sword art took effect, briefly stunning the Gemini as he fell to the ground.

"That's revenge for making me cry," Morningstar joked.

When the paralysis finally wore off, the doppelganger replied. "I didn't say anything that wasn't true. You were due for a good cry."

They clanged swords once more, the sound reverberating through the trees. Morningstar hadn't noticed the buzzing noise that the Soulcursed Blade had begun to make. His focus was on his opponent's movements and the chirps of birds drowned out the sword's excitement. The Gemini, in contrast, heard it long ago, shortly after he had initiated the duel. He knew what it meant. There was nothing he could do.

Spoiler

(note: sorry for rolls being out of order, forgot that gemini acts first.)
Morningstar regains 25 HP from BH
ID: 219289 | CD: 1 | No VD proc

Post Action | TECH-A (x16, 13 EN): 13 EN - (Rested 3/3; Stamina) = 10 EN.
Free Action | None

ID 219291 | MD: 4+4-1=7 (hit) | 264-134=130 DMG to Morningstar. The Gemini takes 36 DMG from THRNS

ID 219286 | BD: 9 (crit +1) | (16*27)-33=399 DMG to The Gemini. PSE procs. Morningstar regains 125 HP from VO

Morningstar | HP: 650/760 (630+25-130+125) | EN: 98/108 (-10) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 5 (6) | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PSE: 1 | BH: 25 | THRNS: 36

The Gemini | HP: 519/990 (954-36-399) | DMG: 264 | MIT: 66 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | PAR | BLD: 48

• Disguise | This boss will adopt the appearance of the player through the entire fight, mocking their appearance.
  • Surprise Attack! | No matter what, this boss will attack first, before the player. The player may not act on the first turn. As this ruins any chance to put space between the player and the boss throughout the remainder of the fight.  The <<Charge>> skill cannot be used against <<The Gemini>>
  • Defy Death | During this fight, death can be avoided. Any attack that would leave either the player or the boss at zero will result in leaving either entity with 1 health point left. <<The Gemini>> will refuse to execute the player if they win, though the player may be much less merciful.
  • Fairness Check | For each consumable/temporary buff the player has when facing <<The Gemini>>, it will gain additional effects in accordance with the bullets listed below. For example, if the player has 3 buffs active, <<The Gemini>> will have Paralyze, Bleed, and bonus DMG. This ability will adjust mid-battle in the event that the player consumes buffs in the midst of combat.
    • 1) Gain Paralyze: Removes player action for one turn on natural MD rolls of 9-10.
    • 2) Gain Bleed: Deals (12 * Player's Tier) unmitigated damage every turn for two rounds on natural MD rolls of 9-10.

Edited by Morningstar

"Come on, Star! Fight like you mean it! You wouldn't have shown Elwood this much restraint!"

Morningstar's temper sparked. His next swing was a bit harder and a wide grin appeared on the Gemini's face. "Yeah, there we go," he said, blocking the attack. The swords lingered momentarily before the Soulcursed Blade turned translucent and phased through Meteor. It touched the fake copy of Vikhrov's Legacy, this time with enough force to pierce the armor. Morningstar had drawn blood.

They parted, resetting their stances. "Whew. I was wondering if that would happen. Nasty enhancement, phase. Good choice to switch static, though. I like this one more. Suits the weapon, I think. What vampire has lightning powers?"

Morningstar didn't reply. He stared at the wound he had inflicted on his double. "Sorry," he muttered.

The Gemini furrowed his eyebrows, bewildered. "What do you have to be sorry for? This is a duel. Besides, you barely grazed me," he lied.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN
Morningstar regains 25 HP from BH
ID: 219290 | CD: 6 | No VD proc

Post Action | TECH-D (x16, 16 EN): 16 EN - (Rested 2/3; Stamina) = 13 EN.
Free Action | None

ID 219292 | BD: 10 (crit +2) | (16*28)-13=435 DMG to The Gemini. PSE procs. Morningstar regains 125 HP from VO

Morningstar | HP: 760/760 (650+25+125) | EN: 89/108 (98+4-13) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 5 (6) | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PSE: 1 | BH: 25 | THRNS: 36

The Gemini | HP: 84/990 (519-435) | DMG: 264 | MIT: 66 (13) | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 (0) | PAR | BLD: 48 | SHATTER (1/3) | STUNNED | StunImm[0/3]

Edited by Morningstar

Red particles emerged from the hole in the armor. The Gemini's expression turned serious. "Fight me as if I were Halador, or the Time King, or the Butcher in the Sands, or Katar. Fight me as if I were Wushen. Don't treat me like I'm worth any less than them—like I'm some weak boar that you can take it easy against."

Morningstar stuttered. "That's not-"

"No, but it is. I see the way you look at yourself, Stephen—the way you think others look at you. Have you forgotten who I am? I know what you think, what you feel. I know everything about you, Stephen! I. Am. You!" The Gemini roared, pounding his chestplate thrice.

At a loss for words, Morningstar said nothing. He gripped his sword and moved forwards, gradually picking up speed as he approached the Gemini. They interlocked swords one last time before the Soulcursed Blade cracked its predecessor, splitting the blade in two.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 1/3; Stamina) = 9 EN.
Free Action | None

ID 219294 | MD: 2+4-1=5 (miss)

ID 219295 | BD: 2+4+1-1=6 (hit) | 12*26=312-46=266 DMG to Gemini

Morningstar | HP: 760/760 (650) | EN: 84/108 (89+4-9) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 5 (6) | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PSE: 1 | BH: 25 | THRNS: 36

The Gemini | HP: 1/990 (84-266) | DMG: 264 | MIT: 66 (46) | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | PAR | BLD: 48 | SHATTER (2/3) | StunImm[1/3]

Edited by Morningstar

Morningstar exhaled, relieved. He hadn't even realized he was holding his breath. The fight was over. The destruction of Meteor left the Gemini unable to fight. Morningstar stood as the victor. They looked into each others eyes, seeing two parts of the same self wrapped in conflict and doubt. Morningstar gave his sword a spin before sheathing it. As it touched the steel of its scabbard, his hand burned. Thorns drilled into him, sending him into agony. Control of the weapon had been lost. It moved his body on its own accord and, sensing his mercy, impaled the Gemini.

Both of their eyes widened. Morningstar wanted to scream but nothing would come out. The sword buried itself deep within the Gemini's chest and relinquished control to Morningstar once more. He pulled it from his double's body, throwing it to the side where it dematerialized. The Gemini toppled over and Morningstar caught him, holding him in his arms.

"Guess that damn king was right," the Gemini mumbled. His health bar hit zero. He tapped Morningstar's chest with a closed fist. "Do me a favor and stop thinking so poorly of yourself. It's not your fault. Not one line of it was your fault."

And then, his body shattered, as all things in Aincrad inevitably would. He was dead.

Spoiler

Morningstar regains 4 EN

Post Action | ST-I (x12, 12 EN): 12 EN - (Rested 1/3; Stamina) = 9 EN.
Free Action | None

ID 219296 | BD: 10 (crit +2) | 12*28=312-13=299 DMG to Gemini

Morningstar | HP: 760/760 | EN: 79/108 (89+4-9) | DMG: 26 | ACC: 4 | MIT: 134 | EVA: 1 | LD: 5 (6) | AA: 1 | VO: 125 | VD: 38 | PSE: 1 | BH: 25 | THRNS: 36

The Gemini | HP: 0/990 (1-299) | DMG: 264 | MIT: 66 (13) | ACC: 4 | EVA: 1 | PAR | BLD: 48 | SHATTER (3/3) | StunImm[2/3]

Looting:

ID: 219297 LD: 6+1+6=13 CD: 12

+ (990*3)+(990*2)+(990*2)+(990*2)=8910 col
+ T4 Rare Armor/Shield 219297

Edited by Morningstar

Morningstar's lip quivered, his hands grasping for the floating blue shards the rose into the atmosphere. The birds had finished their song. Nothing but the slight breeze that drafted in through the canopy of leaves made a sound. Numbness climbed through his body. His arms fell, limp, as he stared through a hole in the trees. The sky was bright and blue, contrasting the dark place in which Morningstar had fallen into. Sunlight shone down on him, but it was impossible to reach.

The hummingbird hovered by his head, its tiny wings beating dozens of times per second. He turned his head to meet its stare. Its viridian feathers dazzled in the light that poured in, shimmering like crystals. Its beak was long and thin, and its eyes smaller than peas. It lingered for a moment before flying off into the tree line. It camouflaged and disguised itself, much like the Gemini, with the greenery. 

He picked himself up, his eyes on the floor. It occurred to him that he had forgotten to ask his double about Halador and the mountains. There were many things he hadn't had the chance to ask—or to say. He took one last look into the pond and saw his reflection. He tossed a stone, blurring and distorting it. It skipped twice.

He wanted more time with the Gemini, despite knowing that the Gemini had come from within. He had always and would always be there with Morningstar. Equipping an alternate sword, he left the clearing and the pond, traveling back to Krycim with the world around him placed on mute.

His hand continued to throb from the Soulcursed Blade's backstab. The weapon was a curse and he saw that now. And yet, still, something drew him to it. Within him, conflict stirred. A three-way battle between logic, fury, and desire ensued in his mind.

"You cannot control it," the king had said.

He was correct.

He returned to Krycim after hours of bumbling through the dense jungle. Bleeding Giant, a sword he had recently appraised, hung at his side, his temporary replacement for the Soulcursed Blade while he figured out what was wrong with him and what the next step to take was. He struggled to the teleportation arch, wiped from the day's events. He called for it to bring him home, which it did without fuss.

He dragged himself across the beach, kicking up sand with each step. He had switched out of his armor, randomly selected a few garbs and throwing them on. Vikhrov's Legacy looked ugly to him now, as it had to the Gemini. He no longer wanted to look at it, let alone wear it. It made him look glum, after all.

The lights in his house were on. Had he left them that way? He couldn't remember anymore. He walked up the steps and up to the door.

It was empty inside. He turned off the kitchen light, and found his way to the attic where he kept his things. Empty wooden supply boxes had been stacked in the corner. He often used them for work, storing tools and items in them at his shop. He grabbed one and went back to the beach. 

Beneath a tree, he dug a hole deep enough to fit the box. He equipped the Soulcursed Blade, his face split between regret and yearning, and placed it carefully inside the box. Not long after, it was buried in the sand.

A part of him worried that he'd go back for it if he knew where it was hidden. Another part crept up from the shadows, wanting nothing more than to wield the sword once more. He retired to his room and shut out the light. From its prison beneath the ground, the sword continued to tug on his soul with temptation, begging to be reunited.