[PP-F01] New World, New Business Venture | <<Earning A Living: Appraiser>>

Having spent plenty of time exploring the world that now served as his home, Riardon wanted the opportunity to aid the other players of Sword Art Online. He was non combative, at least if he could help it. Violence was not in his nature, as he saw it as a rather unproductive way to get what you want. Was it necessary in some situations? Of course it was, this was a fantasy video game after all. Riardon however, preferred to spend his time mostly in the cities of Aincrad. At one point he had stumbled onto the ability to identify and buy items off players as junk. This excited Riardon in an odd way, as the unique profession provided a rather close facsimile of his profession in the real world. There he owned a shop chain that basically accomplished the same thing. He was the renowned owner of one of if not the largest nationwide comic and game stores, Conquest Games.

To start up this business venture, a quest was required. In a game such as Sword Art Online, most things player's could unlock or obtain were locked in such a way. That brought his attention to a small eclectic shop near the heart of Tolbana, the second largest settlement on Floor One of the Floating Castle. The inside reminded him of his own living spaces, absolutely filled to the brim with clutter and often times useless paraphernalia, yet even his disorganized mind was left wondering how so much stuff could fit insuch a small space.

"Why hello," A man greeted him having popped out from behind a rack cluttered with a near impossible number of scrolls, a few falling off with the sudden introduction of motion. "What is it you are looking for today?"

"Nothing that can be found on a rack I assure you," Riardon replied as he straightened his rather fancy merchant garb. "I was actually looking to learn the Appraiser's Trade. You wouldn't happen to be Drax Arnold would you?"

"Aye," The slightly pot bellied merchant replied. "That's my name. To whom do I owe the pleasure of meeting?

"Ala- Er. I mean Riardon," Riardon stammered his way through the introduction. He still struggled with not giving out his real name. He was no stranger to roleplaying games, but this was almost a completely different scenario. Here his appearanc ewas exactly the one he held in the real world. It felt natural to introduce himself as Alain, but here that wasn't technically his name.

"Well Riardon," The merchant continued extending a hand. "I'll have you know, I don't do anything for free. If you truly wish to learn the trade, I'll need you to go out and find some items to identify. You do that, and I'll happily show you how to identify them."

"Thank you Mr. Arnold," Riardon shook the extended hand. "I'll do just that."

With a simple wave of thanks, Riardon exited the eclectic shop, returning to the busy thoroughfare of Tolbana's market plaza. The only problem he could see with this small adventure he would be undertaking was the fact that it would likely involve exiting the city and exploring the wilds. A guide was in order, as he had no weapon or armor. He began scouring the city for an adventurer willing to serve as his body guard. It was as he started to leave that another player heading for the gate alone in an armored red coat caught his gaze.

Spoiler

Stats

Spoiler

Riardon | HP: 20/20 | EN: 20/20 | DMG: 1

Battle Ready Inventory

Spoiler

3 Starter Healing Potions

Edited by Riardon

Wulfrin had decided a small change of scenery was in order. Solaris flew above him just out of view as they exited the teleport gate in the Town of Beginnings. Today the goal was simple, explore the floor and try to locate the start for the Third Lesson. He was trying to get ahead of the game a bit since Ciela and himself planned to take it on at some point. He had made is way to Tolbana without any serious opposition. He was well above anything that this floor could throw at him, unless of course he went searching for mobs specifically to loot. The system was funny like that. It almost seemed to analyze one's intentions and adjust itself accordingly. That was fine of course, since it meant that no matter where he traveled, he could always find mobs to hunt for materials and col should his fishing turn up nothing. After a brief walk through the plaza asking around about the final stage of the tutorial quest, Wulfrin was satisfied and was about to head to wards his favorite fishing spot on the floor when he was approached by a man that he initially thought was an NPC.

"You there," The older man approached him. He kind of reminded Wulfrin of Dorian in a way, but something was odd. "Would it be too much trouble to ask you to act as a bodyguard for me?"

"Guess it depends," Wulfrin said eyeing the man up and down. "Where are you headed? Is it for a quest?"

"It is indeed for a quest, as for the where, I'm not sure it matters. I simply need to locate three unidentified items in order to progress my profession quest. My name is Riardon, I apologize for not leading with that."

"Wulfrin," He replied accepting an offered handshake. "Yeah I can help you out. I take it you're looking to be an Appraiser then. Now I wish I hadn't handed off all of my tier one unidentified items a few days ago. I could have saved you some time. You have any combat experience or should I be expecting to do all of the legwork?"

Stat block:
Wulfrin | Level 22 | HP: 470/470 | EN: 62/62 | DMG: 17 | MIT: 66 | ACC: 3 | BH: 4 | LD: 5 | BLD: 36 | REC: 3

Skills
Active

• Light Armor Rank 5
  • Straight Swords Rank 5
  • Searching Rank 2
  • Battle Healing Rank 1

Extra Skills (Max 3)

• Concentration

Mods (Max 5)

• Meticulous
  • Night Vison

Addons

• Stamina
  • Precision
  • Ferocity
  • Resolve

Inactive

• None

Battle Ready Inventory

• 3 Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 hp each)
  • 6 T1 Uncommon Health Potions: Heals 5% of Maximum HP.
  • 2 Teleportation Crystals
  • Protein Pancakes | [ID #219428a] | TIERLESS RARE MEAL | PROTEIN II
  • [desc.]: They're a little dry but they do the trick.
  • 2x Terra Firma Scale (equivalent to T3 MIT 1)

Equipment

• Armored Long Coat | T3 Perfect Light Armor | ID [220094]
    MIT 2 | REC 1
    [desc.] A long red leather coat with additional armor plates. The right pauldron has the signet of Sentinel Armaments emblazoned on it.

• Wolf's Bite | T3 Perfect Straight Sword | ID [220774]
    ACC 1 | BLEED 2
    [desc.] Sharpened to a razor's edge, this blade cuts deep and leaves lasting wounds. It is well balanced to aid in attacks. The center of the cross guard is the signet of Sentinel Armaments.

• Crystal | TIER 1 TRINKET | LD III | ID: #205224
    [desc.]: a blue crystal. scraps of a larger crafting component.

Estate Buffs

• Bedroom: "Rested" -1 EN to first 2 combat expenditures each combat
  • Bathroom: "Clean" First DoT effect damage reduced by 20%
  • Basic Kitchen: "Filling" increases effectiveness of one food item by 1 T1 MIT slot (+5 MIT)
  • Storage Closet: "Item Stash" +1 Battle ready Inventory Slot
  • Living room: "Relaxed" +10 out of Combat healing, Energy full after 2 out of combat posts
  • Dining Room: "Tasty" Turn 2 identical food items into a lesser feast. (Feeds 4 players)
  • Attic (Storage): "Col Stash" +5% Col from monster loot
  • Basement: "Multipurpose" +1 LD, LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity (Once per thread)
  • Fishing Pond: "Angler" +2 Fishing Exp per attempt
Edited by Wulfrin
Posted (edited)

"No Wulfrin," Riardon replied with a sigh. "I'm afraid I will be no use to you if combat does break out. Violence isn't exactly my cup of tea."

"You wont get very far in this world with that mentality I'm afraid," The young man said. "Especially if you're going to be an appraiser. Outside of fishing, looting mobs is the best way to get the unidentified items you need."

"Sounds like fishing is the way for me to go." Riardon smiled as the two exited Tolbana. Wulfrin was of course in the lead, but was still shoulder to shoulder with himself. To keep up the conversation

"Not recommended. You'll definitely have an easier time hunting monsters. You could always go a full support playstyle and buff your allies, but unless you land the last hit you don't get the loot."

"One step at a time then I suppose. I'll rely on you until I can get some combat under my belt."

"Well when you figure out what weapon you want to wield, come stop by my shop on Floor Twenty-Two and I'll get you hooked up. The Tutorial Quests can also help you get your feet wet with very minimal danger."

Eventually the duo found themselves at a small, lazily flowing river. It was a good ways outside of Tolbana, much farther than Riardon was comfortable with, but at the very least there didn't appear to be any monsters nearby. It helped that his guide seemed to have almost zero guard up in the area. They simply pulled out a fishing rod and began to fish in the river. Riardon took this as his cue to look around the area for items. As he began to search the area high and low, he found a small glint of light in the hollow of a nearby tree. According to his companion, this was not likely to be a norm, but the option was very welcoming.

"Appears I have found one!" Riardon exclaimed. "Two more and we can return back to town. I'll try and be swift as to not take up too much of your time."

Item Search (1/3)
ID 221508 | LD 7 | CD 11
Item Found
Unidentified T1 Uncommon Consumable

Edited by Riardon

Wulfrin simply watched his bobber ride up and down along the river's waves. This was the same spot he brought every new player he aided to. It provided a nice secluded spot for him to fish at, while having next to zero hostile mobs to hassle with. It was honestly the safest option he could think of. What surprised Wulfrin was Riardon stating he had found an item just by looking in a tree.

"Don't get used to just finding them laying around," Wulfrin cautioned. "I've been to this spot a countless number of times with fresh players like yourself and never have whole items just been laying around. It's possible that is only for this quest."

Wulfrin felt a tug at the line and pulled back with greater force. He hauled up a successful catch that came with an assortment of unidentified items. Sadly, due to his level, they weren't going to be useable by Riardon. Wulfrin figured it was likely he could only do appraisals on tier one equipment, assuming it followed the same progression as his own blacksmithing career. Eventually though, assuming Wulfrin kept in good graces with the man, he could possibly pawn his junk items off with him rather than hunting down Morningstar every time he got his pockets filled.

"I am open to giving advice if you want it. I know from experience how daunting and unforgiving the system can be at times." 

Spoiler

Fishing Attempt
Rank 3 Fisher | Success CD 6+ | Chest LD 10+ | +2 LD when opening chest | +2 EXP per Attempt
ID 221514 | CD 9 | LD 11 | Success | Chest Found

+1 Material

+18 Fishing Exp

Opening Chest
ID 221515 | LD 11+2 =13
Items
Unidentified T3 Perfect Armor/Shield [221515a]
Unidentified T3 Rare Armor/Shield [221515b]

Edited by Wulfrin
Posted (edited)

"I'll have to take you up on the tutorial another day," Riardon said as he continued his search. "Today it's about getting a business off the ground. I've spent the last two years observing the players around me fighting to escape our collective predicament, and now I want to try and give back."

Riardon made a thorough search of the area, finding another burrow in the base of a nearby tree. Inside lay another item ripe for plundering. This time it appeared as a plain set of armor. One couldn't even discern the type of armor as it seemed to shift between multiple types in a fluid transition. Out of the corner of his eye, Riardon noticed some movement in the trees nearby. He slowly backed up towards his fishing bodyguard.

"I believe we have company," Riardon said in a hushed tone. "I saw some movement in the woods. I'm a bit worried the beasts of the forest may be hungry for a humble merchant." 

Item Search (2/3)
ID 222193 | LD 18 | CD 6
Item Found
Unidentified T1 Perfect Armor

Edited by Riardon

Wulfrin's fishing trip was interrupted by his current charge. Apparently there was the fear of some beasty encroaching on what was supposed to be an exceptionally safe space.

"Stay here," Wulfrin said as he put away his rod. "I'll take a look. Where did you see the movement."

His gaze followed Riardon's finger. Cautiously he drew his blade an advanced on the forest around their small clearing. He quickly ran through the possible monsters, wolves, bears, boars, or perhaps some other beastie. They weren't far from where the Nepenthe boss spawned, but they shouldn't be close enough to trigger the fight, nor should any of the little ones make their way to them. More likely it was a random rabbit or something. Wulfrin was proven woefully wrong when a pair of wolves jumped out of the woods and attempted to sing their jaws into his virtual flesh.

In a flash of red, Wulfrin swung his sword, maneuvering it in such a way that the flat collided with the wolves. The wolves staggered having been caught mid leap. Unfortunately for them, Wulfrin was only warming up.

Spoiler

Recovery Roll: none
Wulfrin has full energy

Post Action: Tech F vs Wolves (x8, 12 EN) -2 EN (stamina) -1 EN (rested) = 9 EN 
Free Action: None

ID: 222195 | BD 4+3=7 | DMG 17*8=136 to Wolf 1 | CD 1 (No ST-B) | Stun Proc
ID: 222196 | BD 4+3=7 | DMG 17*8=136 to Wolf 2 | Stun Proc

Wulfrin | Level 22 | HP: 470/470 | EN: 62/62 | DMG: 17 | MIT: 66 | ACC: 3 | BH: 4 | LD: 5 | BLD: 36 | REC: 3

Wolf 1 | HP 128/264 (264-136) | DMG 88 | STUNNED | P.StunImm. (0/3)
Wolf 2 | HP 128/264 (264-136) | DMG 88 | STUNNED | P.StunImm. (0/3)

Wolves are stunned stun fades.

Edited by Wulfrin
  • 2 weeks later...

"Be careful lad," Riardon whispered trying to keep quite as he moved closer to the river bed. "I'm confident in your abilities, but I also know this game can be unforgiving."

His bodyguard disappeared into the woods towards where Riardon had heard the hostile mobs approaching from. Wulfrin seemed like he had almost zero fear when it came to venturing into the dense forest around them. That likely game from experience in the game. Like most other games of this type, if you managed to get your numbers high enough, the monsters had a hard time posing a challenge. There was a flash of crimson light from the rough area where Wulfrin went followed by two unique yelps. His persuers must have been wolves, and by the sounds he was hearing, they weren't having a good time. Patiently he waited for his body guard to return in the small clearing, content to wait to look for items until Wulfrin returned.

Caution was not on Wulfrin's mind at the moment. Out here, nothing really posed a problem for him. Unless Cardinal repeatedly sent wave after wave of mobs at him, ensuring he never got the chance to recharge, even the things scaled to him fell in one to two hits. This was all fine to Wulfrin as it meant he could reap easy rewards. Come to think of it, he was walking with an aspiring appraiser. Perhaps the monster drops could do the man some good, if for nothing else than simple grinding fodder. Ultimately Wulfrin would likely junk the items anyway, might as well give someone the chance to earn so experience themselves. Perhaps there was some mutual partnership he and Riardon could come to.

Wulfrin swung his now bright cerulean blade in an arc targeting the two wolves before they could regain their footing. In a flash both of the furry assailants shattered into an array of tiny fractals. Their drops populated a small popup window in Wulfrin's view. After a brief glance he dismissed the panel and started his way back to his current companion.

"Coast is clear," Wulfrin said as he emerged from the tree line. "I might have an idea that could benefit both of us if you're interested."

Spoiler

Recovery Roll:
ID 222947 | CD 7 | +3 EN
Wulfrin regains 6 energy

Post Action: AoE-I vs Wolves (x11, 15 EN) -2 EN (stamina) -1 EN (rested) = 12 EN 
Free Action: None

ID: 222948 | BD 5+3=8 | DMG 17*11=187 to Wolf 1 | CD 10
ID: 222949 | BD 8+3=11 | DMG 17*11=187 to Wolf 2

Wulfrin | Level 22 | HP: 470/470 | EN: 53/62 | DMG: 17 | MIT: 66 | ACC: 3 | BH: 4 | LD: 5 | BLD: 36 | REC: 3

Wolf 1 | HP 128/264 (264-136) | DMG 88 | P.StunImm. (1/3) DEAD
Wolf 2 | HP 128/264 (264-136) | DMG 88 | P.StunImm. (1/3) DEAD

Looting Wolf 1

ID 222950 | CD 5 | LD 9+2=11
+4 Mats (CD and LD Odd)
+831 (264*3 + 5% col stash)
Rare Weapon 222950a
Uncommon Consumable 222950b

Looting Wolf 2
ID 222951 | CD 6 | LD 5+2=7
+2 Mats (LD odd)
+1,663 (264*6 - incl CD bonus and Loot reward + 5% col stash)
Rare Trinket 222951

Loot/Reward Totals

Spoiler

Wulfrin:
7 Mats
2,494 Col
18 Fishing Experience
Unidentified T3 Perfect Armor/Shield [221515a]
Unidentified T3 Rare Armor/Shield [221515b]
Unidentified T3 Uncommon Consumable [222950b]
Unidentified T3 Rare Trinket [222951]

Riardon
Unidentified T1 Uncommon Consumable [221508]
Unidentified T1 Perfect Armor [222193]

Edited by Wulfrin
Posted (edited)

"Well that's certainly a relief," Riardon sighed as he adjusted his fine clothes. His interest was peaked by Wulfrin's sudden announcement of a business idea. What could the young lad be planning? He'll peruse that momentarily. For now Riardon needed to find the last item he needed for his quest. It didn't take long to locate mind you. Despite Wulfrin's previous warning, the items seemed to be readily available. Though without entering combat, Riardon started to wonder how he would get the items to appraise. He supposed he could go fishing, but more likely he would have to pick up a blade. This wasn't something he was looking forward to that thought, but he would likely have to overcome that hurdle eventually. 

"So this venture of yours," Riardon spoke quizzically. "I am very curious what you might have to offer, as well as what you think I can provide in return."

Item Search (2/3)
ID 222975 | LD 4 | CD 3
Item Found
Unidentified T1 Uncommon Weapon

Edited by Riardon

"Well," Wulfrin said as he recast his line into the river. "I tend to find myself with a large amount of unidentified items that I pretty much only junk out. I don't always have a need for the Col from them and I really only care about Unique enhancements, since those are the main stays of late game gear."

The idea was formulating in Wulfrin's mind but it was a half baked one. He didn't have the slightest bit of knowledge when it came to running a business. The only experience he had was here in a virtual game and he could see how well that was going. His beloved Ciela had skyrocketed in popularity just because of her profession choice, cooks were in high demand. Wulfrin on the other hand was on the lower end of the demand spectrum. Most of his customers were simply new players to the game looking for some new gear. He had made a recent change to help boost those sales by offering the ability to upgrade to some more advanced gear, but even that was proving unfruitful.

"I get enough Col and Mats between hunting mobs and clearing quests," Wulfrin continued as he retrieved a catch form the water. "Fishing as well. I figured they could give you some nice fodder for racking up the experience. If you wanted to, you could take the forager profession and we could trade your materials for unidentified items if you truly wanted to make a deal, but again I plan to just junk them anyway."

Spoiler

Fishing Attempt | Rank 3
Success CD 6+ 
Chest LD 10+ | +2 LD When Opening Chest +2 EXP per attempt

ID: 222976 | CD: 9 | LD: 18
Success. Chest Found

Opening Fishing Chest
ID 222977 | LD 4+2 = 6

Unidentified Rare Weapons (2), Unidentified Rare Consumables (2)

Results:
+18 Fishing Exp
+1 Material
Unidentified T3 Rare Weapons [222977a] [222977b]
Unidentified T3 Rare Consumables [222977c] [222977d]

Loot/Reward Totals

Spoiler

Wulfrin:
8 Mats
2,494 Col
36 Fishing Experience
Unidentified T3 Rare Weapons [222977a] [222977b]