Conveying Stats

How should we maintain a players stats? One feature we like in other RP sites is having a users post count equal out to what level they are. For example if I have a total of 320 posts, my level would be level 45, and obviously a higher post count of 730 my level would be level 80 or so and all the other numerical numbers in between.

Levels seems to be the easiest other than deciding the thresholds of each level per post count. But stats like One Handed, Sneak, Cooking, etc... how should we calculate this information and make it readily available for other players to see?

Who should be put incharge of keeping a players stats up to date? A posted chart, a member of staff, or the players themselves?

We can do the post count's similar to Dothack.org and for each level gained, they can gain X amount of skill points to distribute across each area Active Skills (Weapons/crafting) and Passive Skills (Speed, sneak ext). I'm doing my research into more about SAO but it seems like everything is not based off of just levels but Skill Levels also. certain items can not be used to there full potential without having X amount of skill points. Like a level 15 Sword requires 15 points in Sword Fighting, though if a level 10 uses it, the weapon doesnt his for as much or is harder to use.

So in short, we should find a system that allows members to gain level based off points and once that make has been reached, award a user with X amount of skill points (still looking into this) Players will distribute it them selves and it will be up to a staff member to keep an eye on it.

Nevina and I had a nice idea we were throwing around, while I don't know exactly if it'll work it'll be worth giving a look see in the "beta" period.

Have the RP set up like you have your main towns where people are safe and you can chat and stuff. Find people (IC of course). Then Users create their own groups and field topics: For every 10x field posts we'd let them go up 1 floor. Something around that. We could tweak it as needed for PvP etc. It's something that'd need to be worked on a bit though for sure. Stats would be a different monster entirely to determine depending on classes etc.

I dont think there will be classes Namine, from what i have been reading and watching. Classes dont exist in this game, it is all a bases of what your level is and a combination of your skills like i could be a Streight Sword using cooking, hidding and leather equipment but its a class of my own. :p I think we can also be safe to remove the standard Strength/Def stuff since i am almost pretty sure that the # of skill points in your defense skill is what makes up your defense, though leather will always be bested by light, then medium then heavy. Same with swords, Damage is based on the size, bigger swords are slower, however hit harder, while daggers will hit the fastest for less damage

While there are no actual "classes" there are "User Types" Spear, Staff, Sword/Shield, Claymore/broadsword are just some types, there are also gunners and bowsmen. Depending on the type of weapon you use you can assume that you can pick a specific type of fighting style by the Clain's use of "Art of the curved sword" which defines how you fight, then that in itself defines the movements you're limited to with the typical attack pattern, then it allows for variance from mind to mind, instead of basic north to south you now have north to southeast. Basically, you're only limited by what your mind can think up, that's the system limit since they don't seem to limit you to what types of weapons you can use one can assume there are no set class types. In the manga they talked about a spear user becoming a sword and shield user.

Here is a list of skills from an SAO Wiki, however, im sure we will always add more :p

Non-Combat Skills

Fishing

Musical Instrument

Sewing

Cooking

Equipment Appraisal

Tools Appraisal

Purchase Negotiation

Sales Negotiation

Medicine Mixing

Slash Weapon Forging

Thrust Weapon Forging

Blunt Weapon Forging

Light Metal Armor Forging

Heavy Metal Armor Forging

Metal Equipment Repairing

Metal Refining

Familiar Recovery

Familiar Communication

Passive Skills

Searching

Tracking

Pursuit - Raises effectiveness while hunting monsters. Can be used to pursue a player whose name is known by displaying their footprints from a certain time, which can be increased with greater mastery of the skill. Requires «Tracking» to unlock.

Listening

Detection - Prevents ambushes. Greater mastery allows detection of monsters in «Hiding» status.

Hiding - Allows for a person to disappear. Only works on targets that use visual tracking.

Acrobatics

Night Vision

X-Ray Vision

Sprint

Extended Weight Limit

Combat Skills

Parry

Delay - Interrupts opponents attacks whenever possible.

Howl - Attracts the attention of NPC monsters and increases a player's Hate status effect. Often used by Tanks.

Battle Healing - Recover certain amount of HP every 10 seconds. It can be leveled up by constantly getting one's HP into the red zone.

Emergency Recovery

Meditation - «Extra Skill» Increases HP regeneration and decreases the remaining time of negative statuses by entering a mental concentration pose. Obtained in a 6th floor quest.

Light Metal Equipment

Light Shield Equipment

Leather Equipment

Heavy Metal Equipment

Spirit Light (hate skill)

Fighting Spirit (hate skill)

Weapon Skills

One Handed Straight Sword

One Handed Curved Blade

One Handed Dagger

One Handed Rapier

One Handed War Hammer

Two Handed Straight Sword

Two Handed Assault Spear

Two-Handed Battle Axe

Blade Throwing

Martial Arts - «Extra Skill» Unlocked from a quest on the 2nd floor.

Katana - «Extra Skill» Unlocked by frequent usage of One-handed Curved Blade.

Dual Blades - «Unique Skill» Given to the player with the fastest reaction time.

​Holy Sword - «Unique Skill»

Darkness Blade - «Unique Skill» [1]

Battoujutsu - «Unique Skill» Means "Sword Drawing." [1]

Shurikenjutsu - «Unique Skill» Means "Concealed Weapons." [1]

Infinite Spear - «Unique Skill» [1]

Well from what we know, there is an endless supply of skills so we can make up besides what is on that list. So we can make our own Unique skills, expert skills and what not tell our hearts content. Skill slots and points are the same, we dont have to follow the Manga/Anime by going with the 12 slots/1k point limit, we can do our own with a max of what ever we set (i think 15 -20 should be way more then enough) and bump the max points up to what ever we want. There is a lot of openess to it based on what they tell us in the Anime/Manga.

Well we don't know the limit of slots actually. We just know what Kirito had a limit of 12 when it came to the final fight, but we also know that he wasn't the maxed out level and strength, we also know that's only what he got to by level 75 of the tower. 25 other tower levels were left, could have been other events or more growth for him player wise.

Watch some Xena, a staff is a perfectly viable weapon for bludgeoning~

But in regards to SAO, I haven't read enough of the books to know the more technical side. Think there was an episode where they apply a sword move on a rock showing that the move can be done on anything, but it'd be the weapon that adds to effects like damage or range maybe. But again, I don't know the technical side.

The problem with counting each post as 1 exp is that some posts are more extensive than other posts. Some people could post up 500 words worth of information and it wouldn't profit someone more than a post with just fifteen. If this site will stick to this system perhaps there could be a rule established for length, e.g. [Y post] that has more words than [X post] counts for [Y more EXP] than [X post].

The problem with counting each post as 1 exp is that some posts are more extensive than other posts. Some people could post up 500 words worth of information and it wouldn't profit someone more than a post with just fifteen. If this site will stick to this system perhaps there could be a rule established for length, e.g. [Y post] that has more words than [X post] counts for [Y more EXP] than [X post].

We could adopt an Word base EXP system where we can use every 100 words in a post count towards X amount of EXP. However, this would mean people would have to count the words(or have a program that does it for them) and post it at the bottom of each post and Staff members can check to see if they think they are fudging the numbers. Also we could do a Level up Thread where you posts all your post (with word counts) and a Staff member could give the OK to level up.

Also Staffs could be a skill but there wouldn't be any magic involved, more or less a series of blunt blows XD Which could be fun to watch.

We could adopt an Word base EXP system where we can use every 100 words in a post count towards X amount of EXP. However, this would mean people would have to count the words(or have a program that does it for them) and post it at the bottom of each post and Staff members can check to see if they think they are fudging the numbers. Also we could do a Level up Thread where you posts all your post (with word counts) and a Staff member could give the OK to level up.

Wouldn't have to worry about counting words since all word processors come with a word counter. So that is a viable option.

And not all staffs are "magic" use, everyone seems to forget bow-staffs that were weapons to disarm and defend with before there was a constant use of the idea of "magic".

What would you guys think of the idea of not taking post count into consideration at all? Rather it would be the amount of RPs completed. Levels aren't even that important in SAO, it's more about skill.

For example, for the boss floor 10 fight, we could have a sign-up period where people are agreeing to join in the big event, but to sign up they must have, say:

5 PP

2 OP

1 SP

And these have to be complete (and at least reach pg 2? 3?), not in-progress. These would be kept track of in the character's journal and link to their rp so it's easy to check that they meet the requirements. If the user hasn't kept up on linking their RPs to their journal, then they wouldn't be approved until they do link it so that it's not the mod's responsibility to go fish around to find it themselves. And to beat the boss on floor 20, maybe you need another set of 5/2/1, or more.

Floors aren't restricted by a user's level, so a newbie can go up to floor 20 if that's where everyone else is RPing, they just wouldn't be able to join in the boss events.

This brings me to another point of discussion.

In a year when everyone is on floor 78, and someone else just joins the site at lvl 1, to prevent the gap between 1 and 78 from being so big, maybe a user can be considered to be at the previous 10 increments rather than playing catch up through all 70? (This would be a problem we encounter with any kind of leveling system, post count for oldies vs newbies, time to gather higher word counts, etc.)

For example, we'd consider them weak newbies until they met requirements of floor 60 boss, after which they can start working on floor 70 boss requirements with everyone else.

Thoughts?

Ohh, such a system sounds marvelous! OvO It puts stats and level grinding second to the RP experience itself. Including a new player in the plot would seem difficult and restrictive at a time where joining at level 1 puts a significant gap between that player and the longer-time members. They may not stay for long if they feel like they have no contribution to make to the game with their comparatively meager skills. A 10 level gap sounds fair enough, but since people's levels are likely not all going to be the same, it may not be easily computed. Maybe the 10 level gap could be from the current lowest level regular player, or maybe new joins simply get the same level as the current lowest level regular? (This would also encourage lower level players and new joins to help each other out.) I think it would be enjoyable, help people get into the groove and keep em' coming.

I wanna put a hold on this level gap thing.. Only because it may seem nice to those who have just joined, but imagine everyone who worked there arses off to get to that floor (and the amount of characters that have died to). I know there are a few that think the same way i do, and in that respect, i think the level gap idea shouldn't be used.

However. i dont think it would hurt to give them a level boost of 1/5th of what ever floor we are on. So it would work like this, no boost for floors 1-10, 10-14 (+2 level) 15-19(3 levels) and so on. So every 5 floors we have cleared, starting players should get +1 level. Its not much but when were on floor 78, this will give them almost 20 levels head start but to much..

I first thought every 10 levels they get 1 level, We could do this also, so at floor 80, they get +8 levels to start.

As for states..

I do remember hearing about Agility in the game (from the Anime that is) so idk how we want to do it, we could do the basic Str,Def,Agi, (these are the 3 i think could be most useful since Willpower/Intel dont really count because its not a magic using game and intel is what ever you can think of :P)

and each level, you gain like +2 stat points. I figure this is because there are super rare item drops that increase agility by 20 on floor 50ish, so i figure that is a huge boost. Though Just an idea.

So stick with Skills as a bases for character or should we add Str/Def/Agi? Thoughts?

The main benefit isn't really the levels themselves so much as the boss fights, which I think we should reward heavily on boss fights. Keep in mind that in SAO, all players were locked in at the same time, so someone "just coming in" and having never played before while everyone is on floor 78 would be a little odd.

Everyone's levels would probably just get wiped clean if we ever hit the Alf stage anyways, so it's not like levels are a competition or matter in the end.

If we reward boss fights with things like, an extra skill slot, a unique skill, a special title, etc, then the benefit is in participating in boss fights rather than level alone. A player who comes in and gets a level boost will have missed all of these boss fights, but won't be left completely in the dust since they can play with the rest who've gotten way up there.