Skill idea

So, going off of the feat in D&D, cleave, I had an idea for a skill. Rather than being passive and activating on a connected hit, however, I'd say it could be an activated skill for when the player gets close to multiple enemies at once. You get the same roll (hit on 6 or greater), but you'd hit two enemies instead of just one. Maybe as a downside, it'd generate Hate from both of those mobs (possible upside, if you're tanking?) Maybe upgrade it to 5 skill ranks to hit up to 6 enemies at once?

Each enemy beyond the first takes damage/2, that way you can't just swing through a whole group in one go. So, damage 10 to the main target would mean damage 5 to the secondary targets. (Player would declare their primary target and the adjacent targets for the purposes of damage).

Any thoughts?

I like the concept, but I feel the approach could be done differently. Basically you may only attack two enemies at a time that are in close enough range. No matter how high you make the skill, it will always be two enemies at a time. But what could be added in is a difference in damage you deal to the second enemy.

For a hit on one enemy you must roll a 6+

For you to be able to hit the second enemy you must roll a 8+ on the combat dice.

Of course if you get a 9 you deal an additional point of damage on the primary target, but not on the secondary.

If you get a 10, you deal 2 points of extra damage on the primary target but only 1 point of extra damage to the secondary.

You start off only being able to deal 1 point of damage no matter your weapon skill, weapon buffs, or potions to prevent it from becoming too overpowered. For every point you invest into the skill however, you can deal an additional point of damage to your secondary target. Making it a maximum of 5 without the critical when you have grandmastered the skill.

Also, put up a poll to see what other players think. When it gets 5 votes saying yet, then contact a GM about taking this discussion to the GM's