[PP-F2] Regicide [Caelam, Lessa]

Alkor sat in wait just before the wooded area where the wasps were known to fly around doing whatever it was that mobs do when they're not busy getting killed by players. He assumed it had something to do with pollination, but the game never really went into the sciences that deeply. At least, not on any visible level they players were aware of. Maybe there was an easter egg somewhere in the programming. Not that Alkor intended to take any time to find it.

The stump he had occupied was perfect for sitting; not large, but not small enough that he couldn't use it comfortably as a chair. He ran his fingers thoughtfully along the edge of his weapon, a fondness in his eyes that reflected his character's relationship with his weaponry. Already, he had invested several skill points into the use of his swords. Each day that passed brought him that much closer to mastery.

Today, he was meeting with two other players to investigate rumors of a field boss, a terror with a temper and poison to make it that much worse. Alkor felt only excitement; the boss meant more experience, but also more danger. Either way, it had him smiling to himself and waiting.

Lessa felt incredible.

And somehow, even incredible felt like an understatement. For the first time since entering Sword Art Online, the young woman could hardly contain the joy that she felt. Her blue eyes were wide and dancing with laughter as she moved through the woods. The sunlight that trickled through the branches overhead reflected beautifully off of her new pink gauntlets. They had been made by Klein, the captivating young blacksmith on the fourth floor. They would protect her, and help make her attacks more accurate. It was hard to believe that a piece of equipment could really help do that, but in a virtual world, anything could happen. And, of course, that was not her only new piece of equipment.

Hell Rose. Her two-handed claymore. It packed quite a punch, but that was not why Lessa loved it so much. No, it was more than that. The weapon truly felt as if it had been made for her - as if it had been some sort of strange fate that brought them together. It glowed with a soft pink color, just like a rose. The rose had been 'her thing' back home. Friends and family had lovingly called her Wild Rose for her soft, understated beauty. And here she was, the wielder of Hell Rose. It felt amazing in her hand, and even strapped to her back, she could swear there was a sort of energy surging from the blade.

On top of everything, Lessa had spent time training with Kiluia, and working on her own to increase her level. While she still had a long way to go, she felt much more confident going into this fight. And it would be nice to see Alkor again.

Upon spotting the young man, she raised a hand in greeting and jogged up to him.

After the frigid climate of the fourth floor, the dappled sunlight and gentle breeze of the woods was a huge relief. He took his time approaching the rendezvous point, more intent upon enjoying the weather than completing the quest. With another level under his belt and a new blade at his side, a bit of leisure seemed well earned. Besides, it isn't as if I'm in a huge rush to take on a field boss. It would be a tough fight, even with the help of his companion; but if he shied away from every risk he'd never reach the front lines.

All too soon he came upon them: Alkor, seated on a stump, and a woman he didn't recognize standing nearby. Caelam raised a hand in greeting. "Alkor. Glad you decided to show." Pale eyes shifted to the woman. "And you brought company." Well, extra back up couldn't hurt. From what little data he'd been able to glean about this quest, the field boss was rather powerful.

His hand rose to summon his menu, and with a few almost negligent motions he sent party requests to both of the players standing before him.

"Tch," he replied to Caelam as the younger boy spoke with his usual air of condescension. "I'm just glad you didn't piss your pants, little guy." One of his hands rested in his lap as he watched Lessa arrive, the other returning a curt but acknowledging wave. He let it fall when she got close enough to be in speaking distance.

"Looks like you spent a few Col on armor for the occasion," Alkor noted. It wasn't something he'd usually comment on, dress and whatnot, but these were interesting looking choices. If they were as strong as they looked, Lessa might end up out dealing him in damage. Alkor frowned at that thought. "Well, anyway, at least you're ready."

He threw up a thumb and indicated the area behind him, wooded and open field alike. "The field boss isn't one that's normally just out in plain view. The information dealer who peddled this my way said that the Queen appears only after several of her... erm... 'subjects' have been killed. Essentially, she's a hider."

Alkor knew Caelam would understand what he was saying. He held Lessa's gaze for a bit, waiting to see if she had any questions. "As for the weaker mobs, we can handle those one at a time, or in groups. Whatever you guys prefer. Just be on your guard in case she ambushes us. Reports say she has a good chunk of HP, and she deals 2 damage instead of one."

Without putting much thought into the motion, Lessa accepted the party invite from the newcomer. "Lessa," she told him, with a smile and a small nod. "Nice to meet you." The young woman was intrigued by way that Alkor addressed this Caelam individual. Though brief, their interaction was amusing. Alkor seemed fairly at-ease around Caelam, which was nice to see. He had seemed so up-tight when they spoke, but now, despite the dangerous battle they faced, he was more relaxed. She realized that she knew very little about his relationships with other players, so perhaps this was not uncommon of him. Or maybe the thought of fighting actually calms him down.

At the mention of her new armor, she grinned. "They were free, actually," came her proud reply. With a playful wink, she added, "I charmed the blacksmith." Then she grew more serious. "I am ready, yes."

Tossing Caelam a glance, she said "I don't mind too much if we take them on one at a time, or in groups. I'll do either." Then, she moved her attention to Alkor, catching his gaze, and giving him an understanding nod. "I'll follow along. I am the guest to this little party, after all."

Scrolling through the menu and getting his gear in order, Caelam half listened to Alkor outline the quest. He'd heard it all before, both from the NPC that had given him the quest in the first place, and from other players that had already completed it. He liked to know what he was getting into beforehand, so after sending Alkor the message to meet him, the youth had done a little digging. Apparently the wasps were no great threat on their own, but when in the company of their queen things could get difficult. The number of mobs you needed to kill to summon the queen seemed up for debate as well, so he guessed they'd just have to find out on their own.

Unsmiling, Caelam gestured toward the fields where the wasps were known to spawn. "Perhaps a member of our party should be held in reserve until our true quarry presents itself? Either of you would do for that role, I'm sure. Since I'm at a lower level I'd do more good fighting the mobs, either alone or with one of you as back up." He shrugged. "Better than all of us being caught out in the open and weakened when the Queen shows."

His plan had him playing a dangerous role. While the Wind Wasps wouldn't pose much threat, he was sure to lose some of his HP fighting them. When the Queen did show he'd be wounded and vulnerable until Alkor or the woman accompanying him were in a position to reinforce him. Once they were able to bring their combined might down on the field boss it would give them little trouble, but until then risks were high.

Laying a hand on the hilt of his Anneal blade, Caelam waited for a response.

Alkor frowned. "Not that it's a bad plan, Cae," the swordsman of shorter stature commented, "but I think we might be better served reinforcing you to make sure your health doesn't drop too low." Tugging at the neck of his shirt, Alkor stared out onto the field and skimmed over it with his vision to see how many mobs were spawned. There appeared to be only several, but there could be more to come. He worried they might end up swarming.

"Concentrated, heavy damage on all the mobs would drop them quicker, and stands to lose all of us a lesser amount of HP in the long run. And in the end, we're really trying to make sure no one dies while we're attempting to do this."

Alkor stood straight now, hand resting on the hilt of his blade. "Maybe we should leave it to Lessa to decide, since we're divided," he suggested. Either plan could work, it was just a matter of what risks the party was willing to take. "I would just feel more comfortable extending what resources we have to ensure overall safety."

He paused, glancing sidelong at Caelam. "Or are you just trying to hoard all the Experience you can, you greedy little git?" Alkor smirked, then turned a more serious gaze to Lessa. "How do you feel about this? What are your thoughts?"

When she was asked what her opinion was, the woman moved her attention to the fields in question. She studied them silently, small, hazy mobs moving about in the distance. The gears were turning as she turned the quest over and over in her mind. Both plans that had been put forth were completely rational. But which would make the most sense in this particular situation?

"I agree with Alkor," she said, finally. Turning back to the two men, she continued. "There needs to be three of us when we finally encounter the Queen. That way, the damage will be doled out more evenly. If one of us is so weakened by the mobs that we cannot help with the Queen, it will be a disaster." She nodded her head toward Caelam. "I know what you're thinking, and I agree that we need to have something left in us for the fight with the Queen. However, I think we will be faster and more efficient as a threesome."

The blonde placed her gauntlet-clad hands on her hips. "And of course, I support the option that would keep us the safest. I'm not prepared to risk anything more than we already have to today. I want us to have each other's backs for this one."

Caelam raised his hands in surrender. "Fair enough." How they went about it didn't really matter, he supposed. With the three of them teamed up, there wasn't anything on this floor capable of giving them problems. His pale gray eyes shifted between Alkor and the girl, inquisitive. Mayhap the older boy had found a bit of romance within their prison, hm? Resisting the urge to smirk, Caelam turned on his heel and set his gaze instead on the fields laid out before them.

"I have no idea how many of these Wind Wasps we'll need to cut down before the Queen will spawn. Most likely it's random, so we need to be ready for anything." Steel hissed against leather as he drew his sword, though for now the weapon dangled at his side. If the Queen spawned immediately it could take them off guard, but on the other hand they could have to slay droves of her minions and end up tired and wounded when she finally appeared. Shaking his head, the youth started off, slow enough that the other two could keep pace.

Alkor he trusted to have his back, and the woman's comically large blade looked as if it could dish out a decent amount of damage. His expression was unconcerned as he approached the field. "Let's get this show on the road."

"Let's get to it," he said quickly. Alkor wasn't one to wait around once things had been decided, and this was no exception to the rule. Taking the lead, the swordsman strode confidently out into the field and pulled his sword free of its place at his hip. "I'll pull the first one to us," he told the other two, "you guys stay back and don't grab any extra attention. Let's see how much of a problem the adds are going to be."

With that, Alkor broke into a jog and angled himself toward a lone wasp, edging closer into its aggressive range until it seemed to notice him. The amber eyed both smirked. Here we go, he thought.

The wind wasp moved with deadly speed and accuracy, it's stinger probing toward Alkor's midsection. He glided out of the way with a quick motion, twisting his body to capitalize on the insect's moment of weakness with his weapon. The wasp let out a frantic buzz, but continued to fly with a stagger in its movement.

Alkor deals 4 damage (1 base + 1 weapon + 2 skill)

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15

Caelam 11/11

Wasp 8/12

[The wasp deals 1 damage per hit; if you roll critical failure, you take poison damage on your next turn (then it fades). When the boss appears, I'll take an extra turn for her rolls]

Without hesitation, and with little warning, Alkor took off toward the field. It was probably best, as waiting around might cause Lessa to doubt herself. But now, fueled by anxiety and the excitement over her new gear, the woman strode confidently after him. She drew the large claymore from its sheath, savoring the satisfying sound that it made. And as she held her blade out in front of her, she could not help but admire its soft pink hue. The weapon was much larger than her old claymore, but it still felt comfortable in her hands. It seemed that the points she had allocated to the two-handed skill were paying off.

Alkor's first strike was right on target. Hoping to be just as successful, Lessa increased her speed. Tucking her head slightly, she pumped her legs and quickly closed the distance between herself and the wasp. With a soft, high-pitched cry of exertion, Lessa lifted Hell Rose over her head. Once she was within range, she brought it across her body. The pink blade sliced deep into the wasp, tearing a gash in its stomach, revealing a weak spot in its black and green armor. With another backwards tug of her weapon, the blade was jerked out, and she dashed past the disoriented wasp.

{Lessa deals 5 damage - base, + 1 two-handed skill, +2 claymore, +1 critical}

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15

Caelam 11/11

Wasp 3/12

Caelam brought up the rear as his companions charged the wasp, an amused smile coloring his features. The Anneal blade trailed along behind him in a lazy grip. He found the sword much more reliable and effective than the spear he'd wielded in the beginning; part of that was surely the skill points he'd allotted, but even before he'd increased his rank the hilt had seemed more comfortable in his hand than the haft of the spear ever had.

Alkor's strike landed true, and the girl's greatsword nearly tore the thing apart. As the two players forming the van split away from their target, Caelam was left facing the wasp. He put on an extra burst of speed and raised his sword as he closed with the creature. Judging by the sorry state of its health bar, Alkor and Lessa had done quite the number on it. This should finish it off...

At the last second he twisted, drawing the Anneal blade across his body in a backhanded slash across the wasp's midsection. For a heartbeat the mob was still, stunned and sporting a bloody gash across its thorax. Then it exploded in a shower of data files. Caelam dug his heels in and slid through the carnage, coming to a halt just behind the dissolving data.

Caelam deals 3 damage! (1 base +1 weapon +1 skill)

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15

Caelam 11/11

Wasp (Dead)

"Not half bad," Alkor commented to the party in its entirety. "One."

His eyes flickered over the field, whereupon he saw a slightly larger group of the insects, and he half pointed, half nodded in the direction. The others had torn through the mob like it was nothing- a one, two, three strike combination of all their efforts in perfect synchronization. Alkor mused over the possibility of it being an omen, then dismissed the notion with a barely audible chuckle.

His quick, quiet footsteps took him toward the pair of wasps in haste. He reached back, pulled his hood over his head, and closed his eyes. Let's see how much quicker this goes than the last time. The amber eyed swordsman was now akin to a shadow, his features distorted by the darkness of a hood that looked like one a skilled hunter might wear. There were rugged tassels hanging from it, beaded, gilded, and sewn by what must have been an expert tailor.

As the sunlight cast his shadow over the ground, he felt unstoppable. "Let's take them left to right," Alkor suggested, not yet charging into the fray.

Lessa gave a victorious laugh as Caelam dealt the final blow. How perfect had that been? Their line-up had brought the wasp down in one sweep. She knew that their battles would only grow more difficult, so she should not let this win go to her head. Still, she swelled with pride as she watched the enemy explode into small pieces.

She strode back to the two men, and slowed to a halt beside Alkor. Resting her heavy blade on her shoulder, her steel-blue eyes gave him a once over. "Pretty coat," she commented with a smirk.

Then, the blonde looked to the pair of wasps that they would take on next. They hovered just about the ground, their grinding humming noise carrying across the field. One wasn't a problem at all. Why would two be? "Fine by me," she replied.

"If you insist," Caelam shrugged. The Anneal blade came up to rest over his shoulder once more as he turned to regard the pair of wasps. One was a piece of cake; two held only slightly more difficulty. Still, I need to keep an eye out for the Queen. Since she could spawn at any time, the only option was constant vigilance. His detached gaze scanned the area restlessly before he approached the wasps.

It seemed he was going first this time, so the moment he breached their aggression range he broke into a run. The Anneal blade came out to his side and his eyes narrowed toward the wasp on the left. Trusting his companions to follow his lead, and to engage the second wasp before it could attack him, Caelam bulled forward and slashed as he sprinted past the wasp.

The blade drew an angry red wound across the insect's side and nearly batted it from the sky. It took it only a heartbeat to recover, buzzing angrily, but by that time Caelam was already turning to face the mob once more. A rueful smile bowed his lips.

Caelam deals 4 damage! (1 base +1 weapon +1 skill +1 critical)

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15

Caelam 11/11

Wasp 1 (8/12)

Wasp 2 (12/12)

"Not today," Alkor hissed as the wasp went in to inject its foul venom into Caelam. He rushed forward, took his blade into a defensive grip, and threw himself between the weaker player and the damage intended for him. Alkor glared at the wicked wasp from the shadows of his hood, a sinister smirk on his face. "Too slow," he told the mob, "you have to go through me."

The insect gave him a questioning look as its stinger met with metal, and Alkor shunted the blow harmlessly away. Both his feet kicked off the ground, and he brought his blade up in a clean strike. With a terrified buzz, the wasp fell back, it's staggered flight barely above the ground. "You good?" He asked Caelam. "Let's take a second to regroup, next time."

He let his weapon fall from the defensive position, but only just. His eyes flicked to Lessa, who seemed to be fine. "It's a cloak," he said, lips set in a flat, emotionless line. "Try to keep up." If she had been looking closely, she might have seen him wink.

Alkor deals 6 damage. (3 super critical + 1 weapon + 2 skill)

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15

Caelam 11/11

Wasp 1 (2/12)

Wasp 2 (12/12)

'Try to keep up.'

Lessa let forth a small laugh, shaking her head. Even in the heat of battle, Alkor was relaxed enough to tease her back. In fact, upon further inspection, she realized that Alkor seemed happier than she had ever seen him. It was not necessarily in his facial expressions, as there was no goofy grin to be found. But his movements were swift, smooth, and seemingly effortless. His eyes danced as they darted between herself, Caelam, and the two wasps. It is nice seeing him like this.

My turn, the woman thought, lifting her blade off of her shoulder and lining herself up with the weaker of the two enemies.

As the woman lunged at the weakened wasp, the other seemed to materialize beside her. In a flash, its stinger had been thrust into her arm. Lessa emitted a cry of pain and surprise, but wasted no time retaliating. In an instant, she threw her gauntlet-clad fist at the wasp, shoving it away from her body, and plucking the stinger from her skin. Though she had knocked the wasp away before it inflicted any damage, a bit of poison had made its way into her blood stream. She grimaced.

{Wasp inflicts 0 damage (due to +1 dmg mit) - however, Lessa is poisoned.}

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 15/15 [ poisoned - lose 1 health next turn]

Caelam 11/11

Wasp 1 (2/12)

Wasp 2 (12/12)

Caelam winced as the second wasp took the woman by surprise. The mobs' stingers were wicked sharp and barbed on the end; he had no desire to feel one's kiss. Her HP gauge didn't drop, thankfully, so the boy's eyes shifted back to the wasp in front of him. Alkor's attack had taken a major chunk of its health out, so its HP was little more than a red sliver. Good.

It seemed confused as to which of them to go after. He knew it would eventually pick Alkor- he'd inflicted more damage, and would thus likely have accrued more Hate- but Caelam didn't give it the chance to make up its mind. He closed with the mob in a flash and brought the Anneal blade screaming from above, a vicious overhand chop meant to split the creature from mandibles to thorax.

Instead, the wasp somehow evaded his slice, shifting effortlessly to the side. He stumbled past, off balanced. The deadly buzz filled his ears and he whirled, trying desperately to bring his blade between himself and the mob. It was too late, though. The wasp plunged its stinger into the meat of his arm almost nonchalantly, and then fluttered away. Cursing, he clapped a hand over the wound even as he struggled to keep his grip on the Anneal blade.

Caelam misses! (0 Dmg)

Alkor 17/17

Caelam 10/11

Wasp 1 (2/12)

Wasp 2 (12/12

Alkor grit his teeth as he watched both of his party members take hits. The wasps weren't exceptionally powerful, but even small things could turn the tide of battle. His gaze moved between every piece on the playing field like an expert chess player surveying the board. Every thought was a possible victory and defeat at the same time. If I cover Lessa, it leaves Caelam exposed, he considered, but if I leave Lessa open, will she be alright if the Queen shows up?

He knew that both players would be displeased if they knew he was prioritizing their safety over his own; Caelam because he felt that Alkor was looking down on him, and Lessa because... well, he didn't quite understand why Lessa would be upset, but he somehow sensed that she would. Still, someone needed to keep their roles and positions in mind, lest they lose sight of those aspects of the battle and fall to pieces.

Caelam seemed to brush the attack off, despite any pain that he might be experiencing. Lessa seemed largely unaffected by the wound, but Alkor thought he'd saw the insect afflict her with poison. This could get ugly fast, he snarled visibly, shaking off the sinking feeling that threatened to drag him down. He had to keep it together. Every second he spent was precious.

Alkor danced forward like something out of legend, his sword weaving upward toward the creature that had poisoned Lessa, seeking to beat it back. That one would be their priority, for now, since he and Lessa could work quickly to take it down together. There was far more danger in not combining their strength, here. "Careful," he warned the woman over his shoulder as he blitzed toward the fleet-flighted beast. "If you need to take it easy, I'll pick up the slack."

Alkor deals 4 damage. (Wasp 1 Killed)

Alkor 17/17

Caelam 10/11

Wasp 1 (Dead)

Wasp 2 (12/12)

The skin that had been punctured by the stinger was tender, and throbbed dully. She winced at the pain, but did her best to hide it as she replied to Alkor through gritted teeth. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Alkor's willingness to throw himself between her and the enemy frustrated her. It was not an issue of pride, as she certainly appreciated the gesture. But the concept that someone was 'taking a bullet for her' was bothersome. If she was going to take a beating for her own mistake, she fully expected to be the one to actually take the damage. It had upset her when Kiluia had used his Spiritual Light as well. That's just how the game goes, a small voice reminded her. Don't personalize it. But that was easier done for the young woman.

Not long after she spoke those words, Lessa suddenly felt woozy. She stumbled to the side, her entire body shivering for just a moment. When she finally righted herself, her limbs still felt heavy, but the sensation was fading. "Poison," she groaned, glancing up at her health bar. A little piece of her health bar had faded away.

She knew that she could not just stand there until she was back to full strength. Lessa had companions who were waiting on her, and depending on her to pull her weight. Doing the best she could, the woman lifted her heavy claymore, and lunged at the remaining wasp. Perhaps it was shocked by its partners death, but something had the wasp distracted. Even with the effects of the poison still fading away, she was able to thrust her blade deep into the enemy's abdomen. It fluttered angrily on the end of Hell Rose for a split second, and then she tore the sword free.

{Lessa deals 5 damage - base, + 1 two-handed skill, +2 claymore, +1 critical}

Alkor 17/17

Lessa 14/15

Caelam 10/11

Wasp (0/12) DEAD

Wasp (7/12)