[OP-F1] Earning a Living {Kazuya} (Complete)

Earning a Living (Merchant) - When you try to Grained dust

roV4XD0.jpg

"Get out!" The merchant shout on Rowan, he was tale, high level and Impatient. His face already blushed in hunger.

"Please sir it’s a fine sword, I will give it to you in 70 col" Rowan tried to sound convincing.

"It’s a BEGINNER'S SWORD! You will have to pay me to consider buying it!"

""Ok, Ok" he tried to calm him down "What about this sword with the +1 on it? How much it cost?"

"300 col" the merchant answer loudly.

"What do you say I will give you the beginner's sword and 60 col for?"

"Get out of here!" Rowan run of the store ""Get out  And don't come back!"

Rowan wandered around the city. The fading street lights have darkened his gloomy face.

He didn't notice where he's going when he suddenly bump into someone {Kazuya!}.

Kazuya looked at him. "Huh? You lost or something?" He then noticed the player's slightly beaten down expression. "Oh? Having a hard day?" He was rather aware and knowledgeable when it came to people. This man had obviously just been through a rather frustrating experience where he lost.

Kazuya looked around and saw a angry shopkeeper. 'Oh that man. Did this guy really just try to make a deal with him? He's either new or has some serious guts. That man tried to cheat me out of a full 100 Col when I brought him a dragon core once.'

He turned back to the player awaiting his response.

{sorry I wasn't around}

Rowan rubbed his head,  then look at the player who stand before him.

"No I'm Ok", He smile a bit "just a bad day it seem.." Suddenly he realized he is not OK, then he felt all the anger rise in his blood.

"You know what, its not OK. Everyone here want to claim up with zero deaths, but little here give a dame to help each other"

he point on the merchant's store, "While I'm out there praying for some rare drops, he sit here and make millions of col on other peoples back.

More then that! it's seems like everyone here is more rich then me, Even level one players!"

He finish very loudly, breath heavily to clam himself. Then look again at the player and realized what he have done.

"I'm really sorry. Please forgive me", he bow his head and kept him low. His eyes were close waiting for the strike.

Kazuya burst into laughter over this player's rant. He was rather amusing. "Don't worry too much about it. *gives a friendly, soft punch to the top of his head* Well, looks like you ran into one of the few who actually give a damn. My name is Ryuu. It's different from my username, I know, but I would much rather go by that than Kazuya." He looked back at that stall.

"Don't worry about that guy. He'll get what is coming to him eventually. Someday he will try to cheat the wrong person out of a deal, and end up dead. I couldn't care less about that though. He tried cheating me out of a dragon core, but I'm a bit too smart for that." He looked back at the player.

"So what were you trying to do? He seems rather pissed, so you must have really been trying hard at something."

"Well....tried to convince him to buy my basic sword for a better one" Rowan open one eye, his smile back again Immediately.

He was nicer that he tough, he expected to feel the punch in his face.

"My name is Rowan Ryuu, nice to meet you" He offer his hand and frowned slightly, "I don't have much money left so...I tried to get something from it.

As much as I love this sword it wont carry me far." Rowan scratched his head "So...i though I convinced him to buy my sword in higher price,

and then I would have money for another sword plus extra cash. But then he realized it was a Beginner's Sword..." Rowan gave his voice to fade and looked down at the floor.

He nodded his head. "Ah... I get it now. You tried to cheat the thief. I commend your attempt, but there is a better way to go about it." He took the player's offered hand and shook. "I'm a performer so I'm rather charismatic to most. Normally, if you try to cheat someone like that, you need to make them think it's going to serve them better in the long run. That is were being charismatic helps. If you smile the whole time, they seem to lower their guard a bit." He looked back at the man. "But trying to do that with a beginner's sword. Now that takes guts. Here, if you want to learn how to earn money, why not become a merchant?" He thought it was a reasonable choice of profession for Rowan. He already looked like a merchant to start off. "I think you would do great as one."

"Well..." Rowan sound cheerful, "Its not a guts, Beginner's sword its all I got" It seem his smile never live his face.

He turn his head a bit and examine all the stores, a lot of different stores sell a lot of different things. 

Then he gave a puzzling look back to Ryuu "How do I become a merchant? do I need to buy a shop? do i turn into NPC?"

He laughed a bit. "No it's nothing like that. To become a merchant you just have to learn the ropes. That's all. You could learn by going around talking to other Merchants or you could take up an apprenticeship. It's pretty much up to you. You just need to learn what being a merchant entails." He raised an eyebrow. "Did you really think you had to become an NPC? That seems a little far don't you think?"

"I guess so.." Rowan say dreamily. How can he explain that he know noting about this game? everything is so weird and chaotic.

A strange feeling that something is missing, feels like something hide from his eyes and everyone else can see it.

Like an odor that he can't smell, or a taste that he couldn't feel.

"I just though some people choose to fight, and others are not..." well, there is no point to lie.

"Well to be honest, I find out that asking a stupid questions is an excellent method to achieve the right answers"

He sound so stupid to himself. All he ever want in the same moment is just get out of there...get out and walking into a boar. {(-_-)}

{really? ropes also mean contacts? you made my day :) }

Kazuya looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "What an interesting concept. Stupid questions get great answers... I might have to quote you on that one. Well, if you want to become a merchant, I know just where to start. Follow me." He turned and motioned for him to follow. He walked up to a seemingly empty storefront.

"Just wait here for a moment. I'll get him." He disappeared for a brief moment, then came back with a rather burly guy following directly behind. "This is Kuro. He is a little bit of an expert when it comes to trade." The man behind him nodded, then spoke.

"Hello there, son. So do you think you are up for learning the basics of being a merchant? If so, I'll have you able to sell a fur coat to a cat in a matter of hours!"

(('Learning the ropes' means to learn the basics of something.))

"Or selling beginner's sword to a blacksmith" he node then scratch his head .

This Ryuu guy is nicer then he though. Is rare to see gamers helping a low level players, I will be sure to give him some discount 

"I am ready to start! the problem is only that I don't talk English very well. But I know there is other methods that can help out with that".

{Ho, ^^}

Ryuu stepped back and leaned against he wall, folding his arms and letting Kuro have the 'stage' for a bit. "Well Kuro, work your magic. Make Rowan here a top class merchant." The man laughed.

"Magic indeed. That's practically what you need to be able to do what I do." Kuro clapped his hands together. "Now let's get down to business, literally. The first thing you will need to know is the worth of items. We'll start with the basics." He pointed at Rowan's sword. "How much do you estimate that to be worth?"

Rowan examined his sword, The very first weapon that anyone can choose for free. 

"Well, that's a fine sword" he pat on it "it saved my life a couple of times". Its may seems like an ordinary sword, but it wasn't an ordinary sword, It was his sword.

"I would sell it in 120 col at least, but from what I saw people wont buy it in more then 30 col".

Kuro nodded. "Good. You are looking at others to better price your goods. I will say though. Sentimental value doesn't mean anything to anyone but you. It would not be worth 120 col to someone who has not had it save their life. Looks at Ryuu's sword over there." He motioned for Ryuu to draw his sword and show it to him.

"Fine. Here is my sword," Ryuu said after taking it out of its sheath. Kuro pointed at the blade.

"Look at how chipped it is and how worn it looks. Do you think something like that would be worth 120 col. I'm certain it has saved his life innumerable times. The fact still stands that it is a beginner sword, like yours. You can't raise prices just because of sentimental reasons."

Ryuu nodded at hearing this. "Yep. He's right. If you want to be a good merchant, you have to learn to let things go, even if they have meaning to you. Well, actually, you can hold onto quite a bit of stuff, but if you did that then you wouldn't have much to sell."

Kuro nodded and motioned toward him. "He is exactly right. He would have made a fine merchant, but instead, he goes off and joins the Crimson Inquisition and becomes a performer. To each his own, I guess." He turned back to Rowan. "Well, back on topic. Now, what do you think the price for this is?" He pulls out a well crafted knife that was given to him by Ryuu. It had etching on the side if the blade and a dark blue hue to it.

Rowan sheathing his sword back and look on the merchant.

"It's look like a well made knife."

then he stop to think for a bit before he continue his answer "But It will be hard to know it worth without knowing how rare it is and what enchantments it has."

He tried to explain himself "I mean, I guess you right. sentimental value doesn't mean anything to the merchant, but in other hand in this game this knife can hold the same stats as my sword.

So if I can't use my sentimental value to determine the price of the item, I can use other players estimation determine it. Its look like a well made knife, I can sell it even in 100 col without knowing his stats"

"Ata boy!!" Kuro gave Rowan a friendly slap on the back. "Looks can be deceiving. In many cases, if an item looks better, you can sell it for more than it is worth. I would actually price this at about 80 col, since it is in great condition and looks like it is fit for a king. You are getting the hang of this! The only way to learn how to be a merchant is to learn on the job. That is why instead of giving you this whole lesson, I am justvaskingnyou to price things."

Ryuu nodded in the corner. "He is right. Merchants get better as they gain experience in the field. Now, Kuro, I bought you said you will make him able to sell a fur coat to a cat. When are you going to teach him to sweet talk his customers?"

Kuro looked at him, then clasped his hands together. "Right you are! Rowan, what do you know about sweet talking, or having a silver tongue?"

Rowan smile to the compliment, but when the merchant mention silver tongue is face clouded a bit.

"What I know is that I wasn't born with a silver tongue. Even if I had I am not an English speaker, so my chance to pass this lessen are close to zero", He said.

That was the true, sometime it seems like he was good at it, but he was just nice and friendly. He was never good on talking or conviction.

Kuro laughed. "Don't worry about your English. It isn't that important anyways. You just need to know how to talk up an item, as well as how to compliment a customer. Now first off, we will start with the complimenting part. You need to always start off with complimenting his choice in what he or she wishes to buy. It makes them feel like it is a better item and that they are going to get a deal on it."

Ryuu nodded. "If you tell them that they picked something good, then they will be more likely to buy it and pay top price."

Kuro motioned toward him. "He's right." He turned toward Ryuu. "Why didn't you become a merchant? You obviously know quite a bit."

Ryuu shrugged and replied, "I don't know. I guess I just didn't feel like it. Now continue."

Kuro turned back to Rowan. "Now, act like I'm a customer and you are trying to sell me that sword of yours. Just go through the motions and compliment me."

{Wow you got a great ideas, you really help me out in this one}

"Amm...ok" Rowan wasn't sure what to do, so he start act and improvise.

"A new costumer? Come in, don't be she. I just received a new set of weapons from the Red Blacksmith."

He came closer and examine Kuro, "Ho, yes I see. an ordinary weapon wont be enough for you. No no, you need something else. You need something to shine with."

Then, he pull out his sword and offer it to Kuro "Here, I want you to try this. I'm not offer it to anyone, it's a new model that designed 2 weeks ago. As you can see the weight is lighter and the balance is perfect."

He wait for him to take up his sword and add "I called it "Silence Killer", Not anyone can it full potential", Then he stop and gave an half smile to Kuro "But you don't seem like anyone".

Ryuu stood up straight and started clapping. "Good show!! Very well done! You almost had me ready to buy that beginner sword. I think you are almost ready."

Kuro started clapping as well. "I agree. With that impressive sales pitch, you could almost sell anything to anyone. The only thing we have left is teaching you how to display your merchandise." He motioned toward his wall. It was full of neatly displayed weapons and other various items. "Look closely. You see how everything is displayed nicely and is easily visible. It makes it easy for a customer to see it and gain interest in it. This is very important. If they can't see it, they won't buy it."