[SP-F1] Dual Spears not quite Dual? (Complete)

A New Spear Skill?: What is more effective than single spear? If you answered, two spears, then this story might interest you. We've got an exclusive account of a new enemy encountered by the player known as 'Mr. Bojangles' who reports that he was approached by a figure wielding two spears and challenged to a duel. Mr. Bojangles cannot confirm whether or not this mystery Dual Spear User as an NPC or a Player, but did not take the challenger up on the offer for a duel. Upon refusing the challenge, the mysterious Dual Spear User simply disappeared. Information Brokers are baffled, as no dual weapon styles have been reported as being found thus far. Are there Unique Skills that exist in Aincrad beyond our understanding? Remember players, you heard it here first.

Info based on the old topic that was never completed will be used here. This is a one off basis and no one else should attempt rumours at the current system state.

Tristan sighed as he rested in a bar, drinking some rice wine. He had absolutely nothing to do. With pretty much all the quests done he could see himself doing with meaningful gain where done, most recently that Sand Shark. He recently had a drive to do quests and become stronger, not for his own sake but to become a bastion to protect people dear to him, however that may be.

However Tristan didn't feel...adequate enough. Be it that his gear was all uncommon while Lessa and Alkor and L had rare or perfect gear, or simply the haunting feeling that he was not doing enough. It was a horrible feeling that made his stomach stir. He wanted to do more! To help people!

This game was not just a game. It was another reality. a virtual reality. Life or Death was a matter here. This wasn't something where you could just prance around pretend it will all solve itself! No...this was a reality that had to be conquered, so that he could go home. To his job, to escape this reality to...reality.

But...Tristan was beginning to be attracted this reality. Sakura leaves fell onto the window from the trees. It was a fantasy world come to near literal life. It was beautiful.

Allegedly, Nagamasa Azai spoke these words.

"I too wish to fall like the blooming petals. For it is the the impermanence of things that makes them truly beautiful."

Tristan sighed, looking at his drink.

But the falling petals hurt me to my soul. I find myself praying that they will always remain in bloom. Even though I know it is impossible...

He wanted to protect his people from wilting like the leaves. But could he do that? Could he protect them from harm?

Tristan sighed again as he took a drink from the rice wine, sipping on it. If only there was something out there with which he could protect people with...

Tristan heard whisperings of an 'Information Broker roaming the area around here. An information broker, what were they?

Tristan queried exactly that to a player nearby on the tavern. The response spoke as though Tristan were living under a rock. To be fair he punched one apart, but that was aside the point here. "You don't know?? They're beta testers who sell you info. They're hard to find though, 'cause they're beaters and no one likes em...."

"Oh." Tristan thought about it. The premise seemed sensible enough, selling valuable info not available in the guidebooks, like hidden quests. It was said that Breaking the Unbreakable used to be a rumour, but was confirmed and made a quest.

The man he inquired spoke further, telling of how apparently only 50% of what they say was true. Made sense, it seemed like your standard scamming. Some people were just that desperate. And others gullible. "So is there like...anything worthwhile to know from these brokers then?"

"Pfff beats me, some just talk straight up censored. Maybeeee though you'll hit gold. Gotta find 'em though."

"Alright, thanks." Tristan left the tavern deep in thought. These information brokers may just have what he needed. Something special that will get him something that will help his friends. At least, that would be nice. Of course, they might try and sell him for a high price what turns out to be the best way to cook some dung. Can one even cook dung in SAO? Normal cooking restrictions didnt apply, but then again there probably wasn't a dung ingredient. He was pretty sure though a broker could twist their words to say otherwise on this matter though.

Tristan looked around the city, now he had to play the game of cat and mouse. And Tristan did a rather poor charades as a cat, so this should be fun to say the least. "Come out come out wherever you are..."

Apparently Information brokers played the same rules when it came to hide and seek, which was quite a shame. Would of made his life a lot easier.

The lights of the city pranced as Tristan walked, alive with the night life. It was weird being in the same time of the hive of people. Because of his English timezone, hence his accent, his peak online times were earlier than the main userbase in America. In SAO however because you lived here with no log-off, everyone worked on the same time basis. Sure, there was a sort of jet lag for those in odd time zones when the game released, but they adjusted quickly.

A wind was picking up, leaving a chilling taste in the air. His mind stirred, reminded of the stereotypical cold and wet weather associated with Britain, usually with clouds too. And rain. Lots of rain.

His mind stirred with memories of when camping. They had sung songs resembling sea shanties and the like. They tended to stick in his head. He was reminded of one he made up around a fire impromptu when asked to each make their own song. He sang to himself as he walked.

"Sail, will you sail the sea,

Sail the sea when the wind blows strong,

When the wind blows strong from the coming of th' storm,

When the storm comes in with you b' my side.

When the tide comes in and the north wind blows will you wilt away like a dying rose?

When the north wind blows will you fly away to a place that you think is a-okay?

Or will you stay here with your might and stay b' my side for th' rest of the cold dark ni-ight?"

"That's an interesting song you know there lad."

A man who was robed approached him, though to day man would be difficult to admit. It was closer to a teenager. For some reason they had whiskers in their face too...but that aside, Tristan saw no reason to hide from them. His gear has lately made him more confident and less worried about PKer, plus the city is a safe zone.

"I wrote it. I suppose that's the job of a performer though." Tristan added with jest, lightening the mood.

"And you are?"

"I'm called George, information broker. Give me what I want, and I'll tell ya the greatest things there is to know." the man spoke with a heavy Scottish accent, which was rather amusing since it was the first time he heard it in SAO.

"So what would laddie 'ere like t' know?"

Tristan thought for a moment, then answered. "I want something special, to protect my friends. Not to kill people or become god. Just to keep the people I hold close safe...is there anything?" There was a hint of desperation in his voice, as he was basically grasping for straws here."

"Hmmmm, just for you, I heard somethin' reeaaaal special. For that though, you're gonna need to pay." he tapped the side of his nose to gesture knowing something important, then put a open palm up in gesture.

"I'll 'ave none o' that Col or Mat shite tho'. I want ye to sing me somethin' new, just fer me. If I like it, I'll tell ya. Make it about...explosions." the young man grinned, like a child waiting for sweets to be given.

Tristan nodded, then said "give me a moment to think."

Tristan had thought of something, it was a song his friend wrote who was in a band. Sadly they never took off, so the song could never get out to the public. Looks like it was time to pay homage to him.

Tristan cleared his throat, then began to sing the song. His friends band was a metal band so it had growling for some lyrics, so he merely sang those cleanly instead, as it was odd to growl in a solo singing.
http://youtu.be/mtId3lJNoPA

Tristan got quite into hit, hitting the high notes well. Because it was a lone night with everyone else frequenting bars or at home, he was the exclusive audience. By the end, the young man clapped and jumped. He was clearly impressed.

"That was real good, I loved it!" he cleared his throat and stopped looking so giddy, though clearly was still happy. "Ah, yes. Anyway. Well let me think something special for a man like you..." he looked Tristan over to see what he wore and such. Tristan had his spear on his back as usual.
"Alright, I know just the one for ye. What you're hearing though has never been spread outside though. There's a rumour of some dual spear skill. No one really knows about it though. 'cept I know just the guy who would. He's linked with Mr Bojangles, the man said to know all about the skill. You'll meet him on th' north side o' town. Go to the Sleepy Bird, then look for a man who is probably tryin' t' hit on anything that moves. That'll be him. Called Nero." the man was about to scurry away, when he turned around. "Oh, and just for doing such a good song, I'll make your life easier. There's a password you gotta use, which is Kirito's pants. Nice doing business with ya!" The young man scurried away from the alley they were in.

"Kirito's...pants?!"
What an odd password. Tristan knew he was well known, but that was just plain weird. Well, he had nothing else to do, so he may as well chase whatever rumour this was. He wondered how on earth a dual spear would work. Do you hold two one handed spears? Or what?
Many more questions were asked to himself as he crossed town, looking out for a place called the Sleepy Bird.

After much endless wandering and once accidentally running into a streetlamp from being distracted, luckily with no HP loss or mark on him, he found the Sleepy Bird. The tavern was rowdy, and that would be making the positive out of the situation. It was a large but hectic place, with people of a complete mix interacting, be it socially or physically, in various forms of physical interaction. Men drank and slandered others, women did the same, funnily enough seemingly holding their drink better and ridiculing the males.

In one corner he saw a man who looked rather handsome, who looked to be chatting up a woman with his low voice and silver tongue. Well, they could leave his trivialities for later.

"The rumor about the duel spear wielder, and Mr Bojangles. You know anything about it?" As Tristan spoke, he opened up his inventory and equipped his own spear as a means to show that he was interested in the skill and had already had spear training, which he had in real life too. He took another step towards the man. "I'd be interested in acquiring this skill." 

The mysterious figure shifted his weight, pondering their questions, slinging the hidden spear across his shoulders as he shook his head slightly. Then he smiled, his teeth flashing in the low light. "Oh, some more adventurers looking for that, you want Mr Bojangles eh?" He said, with a chuckle; his voice a low baritone that was pleasing on the ears, coupled well with his handsome visage. "Sure, I know Bo. He should be down at the Rusty Nail around this time, it's a special tavern on the seedier side of town. But I'm afraid it's an invite only kind of place. I'd never dream of sending you there." He continues, stretching in a very feline sort of way that shows a powerful sort of grace.

"Ahhh, I know the password...Kirito's pants that is. Bit weird of a password I think though..." Tristan chuckled awkwardly, finding the mans presence rather overwhelming from their stature. He didn't often feel like this, but Nero evoked it.

"Hm, alright. So, what do you say? We'd still be in town the whole way. No need to worry about an Orange Player ambush; though I am pretty sure that between the two of us an ambush would be a bad idea anyway. I may not be the most sociable of sorts; but I can put up a fight." His charming smile suggests he is letting them in on a secret, or perhaps explaining a witty joke. "You can call me whatever you want, but if you wanted to use the right name, then call me Nero." Again, his charming smile evokes a feeling of playful humor. "It's an honor."

"Alright, lead the way."

Mr. Bojangles had turned to being an Information Broker shortly after realizing that fighting terrified him. He had no talent for it, and would have died, had it not been for the spear wielder in black, with the nickname Firebrand, that came along and pulled his ass out of the fire. It was the Firebrand who had given him his biggest scoop, the rumor of the new Spear Skill. But it had proven to be more than Bojangles had anticipated. Firebrand wielded a double ended spear that broke apart in the middle, making it a double ended weapon. That was the dual spear, which required a skill to equip.

"So uhhh...a dual spear? Is that like, you hold two spears? No matter how I see it, it just seems utterly bizarre." Tristan inquired. He hoped Nero would know more about the skill involved.

"Well, to be fair, it's not really a dual spear skill. It's kinda complicated, but the basic gist of it is that it's one spear. Think of it like a double spear, with a blade on each end. The dual part comes from the Skills, that let it split into twin weapons, sorta like long batons with blades on the end. It's very impressive looking, I'll admit. As for going after the skill... Well, I fought the NPC, but I didn't accept the skill. It was a pretty intense test, Firebrand is no pushover. But, at the end of the day; I'm happy with my own Unique Skill." He says, grinning over his shoulder. "Besides, I don't think a single player can have two Unique Skills anyway. Or at least, it wouldn't be efficient. The thing is, you have to devote a lot of time to master the Unique Skills to make them really worthwhile. Splitting Skill points between several unique skills, and the weapon skills they are based on... big waste of time. In most MMO's, hybrid builds don't really work that well." He adds, with another shrug.

"Right..." Tristan wondered what this persons unique skill was, but never fully caught on at it and it seemed rude to ask. Instead he continued following Nero s he walked through town. At this point lights were going off for people to sleep and such, while the roads got narrower as they walked through the town to the point they were wanting to reach.

Then, he stops in front of a rather unremarkable door with a large rusted nail half pounded into the center frame above a slide bolt. Knocking on the door, Nero waits with a good natured smile at his two companions, as the bolt slides open, revealing suspicious eyes glaring at them. "Password?" demands a gruff voice, muffled from behind the door. "Kirito's Pants..." Replies Nero, with a smirk. The bolt slide slams shut, and for a moment it appears as though Nero answered wrong. But the spearman in black remains in place, seemingly at ease, when sudden the sound of releasing locks can be heard. A moment later the door opens, revealing the hidden tavern. "There are places like this on most floors, where the real information brokers like to hide out. See, their are too many players who want information that can't really afford to pay what they want. So occasionally, players will be sent to a place like this if they seem to have the col to get the really important info. That way, guys like Bo and the other REAL info brokers don't have to waste time with cheap newbies." He explains, as he gestures for them to enter.

Tristan watched as the door to the info house opened. Inside was like nothing he had ever seen in Aincrad before. It reminded him of a stock exchange crossed with a cantina. It was a filthy place, people crowded into all corners, shady people, many of which were orange. For a moment Tristan thought that they had been lured to a trap, except no one seemed to bat an eye that they had entered. In fact everyone seemed far too interested in their own business, or else far too afraid to get caught up in other's business to actually look up. a smirk crossed his face as he realised that this was where they needed to be if they wanted to find out what was really going on in Aincrad. 

Tristan took a few steps into the info house looking from player to player. There were NPC's here too, but it was hard to tell them from the players considering how many different icons were currently visible. He stopped now pulling up her controls and disabling his player status viewer. Instantly all the green and orange icons disappeared from his view, granting him a clearer look at everything around him. He kept looking around for their guy, trying to figure out which person in the room was the target they were looking for. But he had no idea what this guy looked like. He was likely a nervous looking player but beyond that he wasn't certain of things.

"Welcome to the real heartbeat of Aincrad, where the real secrets can be found. Consider yourselves lucky, most of the Guild Leaders don't even know places like this exist."

Tristan spoke up with "What about payme-" but was swiftly interrupted by Nero, a finger to Tristans mouth to gesture to shush. Tristan just went with it, deciding not to fight back. He was an odd one for sure, but his intentions seemed honest at least.

"Nah-ah-ah. If you have the password, that means you had to pay dearly. That password is not given out like cookies. So merely knowledge that you know of it is enough for me." The fact that it was given to him rather easily made that statement rather odd, clearly an information broker being a bit too loose-lipped, but he said nothing, which seemed counterintuitive right now.

"Mr Bojangles though...well, he isn't as merciful as I. He will request something. I'm sure you have something for him though." He gave Tristan a wide grin and a hand to the shoulder in friendly gesture. "I'm sure we will meet another day. For now though, I bid thee farewell, for the women will not do themselves. Well, they might, but that is aside the point. Farewell!" Tristan tried hard not to outburst from that last statement, but did not dwell on it for the man left. He have a quick "Bye." as the man walked out of the Rusty Nail.

"Well, I suppose I should find this man with their rather legendary reputation among this community. Wherever he is...."

He looked around, then gave up with trying to see with his eyes someone in a mess.

"*ahem* Mr. Bojan-"

"I'm here lad, shush now! Or you'll get everyone around me!" A scruffy older man cupped his mouth so he didn't speak. He would have hit back too, if it weren't for seemingly to be the very man he was looking for. "I bet you wanna find out about Firebrand his Dual Spear no? Well, it'll cost ya. 3 Materials."

Tristan gave him the 3 remaining Materials he had. He wasn't desperate for them anyway, so he may as well give them. The man grinned at the sight of the transaction, a greedy one at that. "Yes.....yes.....hmmm, well you paid up front with no trouble, no heckling, so I'll show you. I'll bring you to the man with it."

"O-ok..." Tristan was very uneasy. He had given this man materials without question, though that may have been just simply his naïve side taking control. Regardless, he still found this affair rather odd. He didn't argue though and followed the man out of the Rusty Nail.

"Well it been a while since someone did this, the last one was Nero. He has a unique skill though, so that's kinda cheating don't ya think?~"

Tristan didn't argue with him, just going along with it. It looked as though the man was on his own personal monologue.

"So anyway, this man hides in a cave on Floor 1. Floor 1, would you believe it! I hear there are other things hidden on this floor we don't know about, but that's for another day...well anyway! We are going to a field far away. We'll need to use a teleport crystal because its so far though. Hold onto my hand and we'll be there in no time."

Tristan complied quietly, grasping the clammy hand shown before him. This would be his first time going with a teleportation crystal, but he could deal with that. After all, there was a first time for everything.

"Heeeere we go!"

He found himself suddenly transported, going flying almost through a mini portal. It was like the floor teleports, but it felt rougher. Luckily he wasn't sick though and he managed to get himself back up when they were there.

The field was...beautiful. It was a open grass field with absolutely nothing in sight anywhere around them. Whether it was because of a mist or their location, he didn't know. It certainly made it obvious why this person was so hard to find though.

Here we are! Well, there's the man himself. Now if you excuse me, I have some business to attend to.~"

The man grabbed another teleport crystal I'm his hand.

"Hang on wa-wait!"

It was too late though, the man vanished. censored, looks like he had a long walk back...

He sighed, then turned to approach the black cloaked man who held a double ended spear. His black cloak had what looked like a fireball emblazoned on the back of it like a logo.

"So you must be Firebrand."

"That I am. I am the man who goes as Firebrand. Come at me as many times as you wish."

Firebrand brandished (heh) his Dual Spear, spinning it around him. The weapon looked rather evil, though dull, as though not awakened. Maybe it awoke in the hands of a player? Well in any case, this looked rather threatening.

"Alright, I'll take you up on your offer for this fight. I will come at you as many times as need be so that I will take control of that weapon, in the name of my friends! For that weapon shall be what forges my future path!"

Tristan brandished his own Dragon Spear, the large spearhead gleaming from the cloudless sunny sky above them in an almost cinematic fashion. If that wasn't a confidence boost, at the least it made this duel seem more epic.

"I will match your attack, so show me how your personal skill will make you succeed. Come brave warriors, and show me how your spear has justice to overcome adversity in the face of honour!"

Tristan HP: 19 Dmg: 2

Firebrand HP: ?? Dmg: 2

Dmg Mit skills have no effect.

Tristan screamed as he ran towards Firebrand, his spear spinning and ready to thrust at the man. The spear sang as the spear head flew through the air around him, readying for a thrust against Firebrand. His blood boiled in anticipation for this fight, which will probably be the hardest fight he ever had. This man was toe on toe to him, but Tristan had no fear, still running forward towards him.

The price of death seemed worthy for if he did not succeed in this fight, for if he could not beat this man, was there any reason for him to continue? Was there any way he could protect his friends from harm? To even have any reason to attend the upcoming boss fight?

His spear came forward with a thrust towards Firebrand, who failed to fully block the attack as it did a glancing block to their arm. It was a start at least...

[iD 723 BD 5+2=7. 2 Dmg]

Tristan HP: 19/19

Firebrand HP: ??-2

These continually rather depressing thoughts crossed across Tristans mind as the man swiftly countered his attack, which knocked Tristan back. He knew he had people he lived up to, like Lessa and her guild. But was it worth it if he could not even defeat Firebrand? He gritted his teeth, forcing himself back onto his feet, his legs shaking. He may not think the fear, but the body very much felt it as it coursed through his very veins, the blood vessels throttling blood at full speed in his virtual body, adrenaline working at the fastest pace possible. He was fighting for his life.

He could die.

[iD 724 MD 8. 2 Dmg]

Tristan HP: 17/19 Dmg: 2

Firebrand HP: ??-2 Dmg: 2

Yes. He could die. His life will end. Countless number of volts and amps will make his brain nothing more than a dead mush.

A dead mush with no possible way of recovery. He will be nothing more than those level 1 players who died at the beginning of the game, or who had family that pulled the NerveGear out of their head while they were in SAO, engaging the failsafe. He would be a sack of meat 6 feet under, to be forgotten in history.

Then again, would he be remembered at all if he even lived beyond SAO? Would he be actually something still existing as the user, who attempted and failed at getting a twin spear? Or would he be known as a manager of just some video game store?

Players were replaceable. Managers were replaceable. Everything was replaceable.

His internal thought stream threw him off his attack, missing completely.

[iD 725 BD 1+2=3. Miss]

Tristan HP: 17/19

(Yay for downward spiral of mental heath)

This world shaking revelation in world philosophy had him reeling. He was insignificant, no matter how hard he tried. Who cares if he became the top player?! Who cares if he became one with someone here or in the real world?!? He could be replaced with another player, or a girl can replace him with another partner. He meant nothing to this world, to any! What was the point if he could be replaced by another? Was there a need to even be remembered in the first place as some tool who serves to work the machine that is society, chugging on?

Firebrand somehow also missed their attack, tripping over themselves as he did a thrust and missing him.

[iD 726 MD 1. Miss]

Tristan's mental health was deteriorating from all these thoughts about existentialism and self-significance. Generally, a narcissist wouldn't bother whether they were heard or not, as they worked on the assumption that they were being remembered, or at least thought hey were from their own self-importance. Tristan worried though, since he didn't have this ignorance. He was very much aware of it.

Usually at this point, Tristan would go away and play an instrument, or sit alone to himself. However here, there was no escape, for he was fighting for his life. There was no escape from the downspiral of his mental and physical wellbeing. It terrified him too.

[iD 732 MD 1+2. Miss]

Tristan fought on relentlessly, but this was beginning to be a dance of misses with their attacks, much like the Wind Wasp Queen, which only added fuel to his currently unstable mental condition. He missed attack, screaming "Why?!", an extension of his mind speaking.

The exclamation threw off Firebrand, which had the spear narrowly miss him, which was rather odd behaviour for an NPC. Maybe there was more to them that met the eye? It provided a monetary distraction from his previous thought train, futile as it probably was. Regardless, he got on with it and stood upright, pointing his spear to face the man again, the man for who he would fight for the skill for.

His conviction burned as he could feel his hands begin to feel clammy against his hold on the spear, nervousness affecting him.

[iD 733 MD 5. Miss]

Tristan came in for another attack, when suddenly his face met a boot. He landed backwards onto the floor, looking rather dazed, throwing him off any thought stream he had.

"Halt. You are not worthy. You think you can beat me like this?! Come back again when you have grown stronger."

It was true. Now that he looked, he couldn't actually see their HP level, which was question marks. It must be that he is worlds beyond him. Tristan sighed. He had been well and truly beaten and his ass handed to them. He sighed, seeing that he had been truly beaten. There was truly no way he could right now beat them.

He stood up, dusting himself off.

"Yeah, I guess you're right, I'm beaten. I'm useless to my fellow comra-" "THAT YOU ARE NOT! To have the audacity to even face me is admirable. So I will say this. Take this weapon recipe. It will forge you a spear like no other!" "Umm...okay..." "When you have become stronger, then I shall see if you can face me again."

Tristan walked away from the battle rather confused with a piece of paper for an inventory item, apparently to make a rather exotic weapon. He wondered what it was, but didn't question it. Now for the long walk back home...

COMPLETE

No Col

1 Skill point for completed RP