Creating a Bestiary

Should we consider a Bestiary?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an Open Thread for MoB Approval?

• Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES!!!
    • I can see it being useful.
    • I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not thrilled either.
    • Not a good idea...
    • NOPE!
  2. 2. Should there be a Bestiary Creation Team?

• I think that would be pretty cool!
    • I guess...
    • Why bother with a team?
  3. 3. If approved, would you be okay with someone or myself running the Bestiary with GM approval?

• Sounds good!
    • I dunno... Seems like a lot of power for one player
    • I don't think so!

Some might say that giving the players the power to create their own MOBs is great and wonderful. I agree completely...

However, there is a major difference in creating a MOB that has decent stats/abilities and a MOB that is made solely for post count and is so easy to kill that there is no point in even making it. 

What I suggest is that we either create a MOB Creation thread where everyone can submit their ideas for MOBs or Establish a team of players whose sole purpose is to brainstorm ideas and create new MOBs as each floor opens. 

If we choose to have players submit their ideas, a locked forum can be made to place official MOB information in that cannot be altered except by approved players and Game Masters. First, we would have a MOB Creation Forum made where players will submit their ideas and await approval, just like a journal. An example of a created MOB is shown below:

Name: Tusk Boar

Classification: Boar 

MOB Ranking: Higher MOB

Health: 6

Appearance Trigger: D8 Dice 8 in an open field (Will not spawn unless at least two Boars are killed in the topic)

Skills:

• Damage Mitigation -1 on MOB Dice 9-10 (Player's turn only)

Loot:

• LD 1-10: No Loot
  • LD 11-18: 30 Col OR Boar Tusk Earring (Ear Vanity accessory)
  • LD 19-21: 30 Col and +1 Crafting Material OR Boar Hide Gauntlets (Uncommon Light Armor: Damage Mitigation +1 on BD 9-10. MOB turn only)
  • LD 22+: 60 Col + 1 Crafting Material OR Boar Tusk Blade (Rare Dagger: Damage +1 Does not apply to BD 10 or higher, LD +1)

Familiar Conditions: 

1. Health = 2 or below
  2. MoB Dice: 3, 6, or 9 on MoB's Turn. (The MoB will be required to make a post where it is offering its loyalty to the player.)
  3. Player may then choose to either accept or decline this MoB as a Familiar. (If declined, the battle will continue. Post Action. If accepted, no loot will be obtained and this MoB will be registered as your Familiar.)

Familiar Skill: Boar Charge: Battle Skill - The Tusk Boar rushes at the target, ignoring Defenses thanks to its piercing tusks. (Damage = BD/3 Rounded down. Cooldown: 3 turns. This counts as a Post action)

Please note that the idea of Familiar Recruiting is only a possibility and if you must complete a quest to obtain the privilege of becoming a Beast Tamer, then that would be the only time that the Familiar Conditions section would become available to a player. 

Second, An approved player or a Game Master would have to approve the MoB. Once it is approved, then it will be added to the Bestiary. 

If this option seems like it would take a while, I would gladly volunteer to put together a Bestiary for the current floors myself and submit it for approval to get things started. 

If the latter mentioned idea is selected, if it is acceptable, I would like to be placed in charge of the bestiary thread to ease the workload of the GMs and Support Team. 

I believe this will lead to more organized game play and a more balanced Player-ran Role Play. 

To be honest, I like this idea. I believe it would be a nice resource to get ideas from MoB encounters and, as you say, it would have the Monster database more organized.

However, um... Mind if I say something about the Bestiary Creation Team? Although I like how does it sound, I am not 100% sure about it. I am certain that someone should take care of this, but I don't really know if a whole, specific Team would be needed to create the stuff. After all, we're talking about something that everyone can do by their own will.

I am sorry about this idea. I hate it.

Here's why:

There's not always a GM on to check to approve them,

Not enough for hem to be checked frequently,

We've always made our own mobs,

And what if your never on! Solo parties are meant to be quick paced!

Familiar Conditions: 

Health = 2 or below

MoB Dice: 3, 6, or 9 on MoB's Turn. (The MoB will be required to make a post where it is offering its loyalty to the player.)

Player may then choose to either accept or decline this MoB as a Familiar. (If declined, the battle will continue. Post Action. If accepted, no loot will be obtained and this MoB will be registered as your Familiar.)

Familiar Skill: Boar Charge: Battle Skill - The Tusk Boar rushes at the target, ignoring Defenses thanks to its piercing tusks. (Damage = BD/3 Rounded down. Cooldown: 3 turns. This counts as a Post action)

Its not a flipping pokemon game!

If we go through the MOB Creation Thread route,  I think its something more "here you are some ideas you can use" like than "here you are the monsters you must use". Then, oneself could still create its own mobs for its roleplays without asking. And it wouldn't be needed neither a really complex journal system nor a lot of time to check, just somewhere to place small journals. Even the file scheme he has suggested could be more simple.

It's the way you went about it Draterion. Rather than giving some critical response you just outright said no and then gave some loose reasons as to why, stating it was a terrible idea was probably not a good way to go about it.

As for my two cents on the matter, I agree with Don Tiagote, I think it would be an extremely great idea to have sort of a database from which people could take ideas from. Honestly I think you've overcomplicated it a little too much with individual attacks and familiar conditions? I think was what you used to describe it.

Good idea though ^_^ Just needs some adjustments

Draterion if you don't shape up how you talk to people, you will receive warnings. No being anti social when out of character by any means.

However Draterions point is not incorrect. We could make a suggestion thing but to enforce it would be far too difficult on us staff. In theory/concept its good, but in practice hard to execute. However to be be fair standard mobs can't even drop that good loot loot unless they are GM ran mobs. Now THOSE mobs can be much easier custom created to be powerful and drop good stuff, as they are GM ran.