PP - F8: Third Time's a Charm

"I was here because YOU ignored me....YOU just walked away and and..." Mari's angered words trailed off as a downcast look fell across her face. "It was quiet and desolate here. I thought I'd be able to hide away here for a while..."

Then Life mentioned she shouldn't be here. Mari gave a huff, as she crossed her arms. "I don't see why not. No one is here. It's just an old altar of some sort right? Just an aesthetic addition to the game. It's not like there are any real gods here or anything of the sort." Mari said as she pushed herself off the altar and picked up the blanket, wrapping it around her shoulders. Now that she was awake she was feeling the sting of the cold air.

"So..." Mari said, changing her tone to that of a cautious one. "Does this mean you're talking to me again?" Mari turned her eyes toward a deeper section of the cave. So he was just here for treasure? Mari didn't really care about that. Rather...she cared about mending her relationship with Life. "Would you mind if I came along?" Mari asked, turning her blue eyes back toward him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lifes emotions where practically all but blocked at this point, he couldn't protest nor could he comfort her due to sillith taking control of him. No my darling, I'm simply bringing out the real you. T-that's a lie.. there was no response, the silence inside him felt odd, like he was alone. His eyes turned to Mari sensing her eagerness to fix things, he wasn't going to just satisfy her and so he simply ignored her and headed into the cave, luring her deeper into one of the death traps he have had to face long ago. The cave had an ominous hum to it which set an eery tone, as if something could strike at any second. The air was humid and heavy, causing him to breathe heavily, but it was something he was used to. He wondered how the inner workings of the cave would be set up, each one was different however each had a test.

Life seemed talkative a minute ago, but instead of providing her with an answer he simply turned on his heel and left. Mari stood there for a few seconds wondering if she should follow him or not. He didn't...he didn't exactly say yes, but he didn't say no either. Mari felt that it would probably be best to follow him. The corridoor was dark, and Mari muttered incoherently to herself before speaking up. "Remind me to get that skill that helps you see in dark places...I can't see anything here..." Mari said with a huff.

The corridor was small, and there wasn't enough space for Mari to walk beside him. Mari walked behind life, clutching at the blanket that was wrapped around her shoulders. Life seemed tense. So did the air within the cave. Mari wasn't too fond of it, if she were alone she'd have turned around and left, not bothering with the promise of 'treasure' 

Mari wasn't a fan of the humidity, she slightly parted her lips, her breathing becoming ragged. This was horrid, and there was an odd hum that reverberated off the walls. Mari equipped her dagger with one hand, and clutched it tightly. Mari assumed no mobs would appear in such a short corridor, but it could open up into a larger area at any moment.

After a few minutes it got to the point where Mari unequipped the blanket, it was too stuffy. She reached out to grasp hold of the back of Life's jacket with her free hand, she needed guidance and didn't want to trip or fall into him. Mari wasn't sure if the action would cause him to shrug her off or push her away.

"Life....I'm worried about you..."

The two walked further into the damp cave, L's bright red eyes scanned the area ahead carefully, he wanted to make sure that he didn't miss anything worth noting. Something that he had come to realise while he ventured through these caves is that there was always something hidden. Mari placed her hand on his back and he tilted his head back and started at her. She was worried huh? That worry was well met, he wasn't in a very good position. His face was still expressionless and he simply replied "You should worry about yourself" With that he looked back forward and continued walking for what seemed like an hour and eventually the cave largely opened up to a staircase leading into a meticulous room. It didn't seem to abnormal tho, but that was how they all started anyway. There was some sort of gaming code 'written' on the cave walls, it almost seemed like a glitch. Two giant torches lit the room and there where three passageways, a faint quior of voices could be heard which seemed to rise louder and louder as if they where to enter a boss battle yet it simply faded away after what seemed to be an intense moment of discomfort. Silliths banners could be seen hanging from the walls and ornaments sat on the stone table in the centre of the room. This place seemed to be much more serious and background heavy than any dungeon he had seen of Silliths before. Though there was none to be seen, the faint smell of crimson blood could not be escaped.

Mari furrowed her brow, "I do. But you're my friend, and you're...very off today Light. Let's just stop a moment and talk ab- oh forget it ass..." Mari mumbled , letting go of his jacket and crossing her arms over her chest, she had half a mind to turn around and just leave him to stew in his own self loathing. Just as Mari was about to turn around they came upon a large out of place staircase.  

"What the hell?" Mari muttered, stepping out past Life, being much less cautious than him. "Life this isn't another one of your stupid cave of Lurve things is it?" She asked in disbelief. Stuff like this didn't simply exist in SAO right? There were three passageways before her, and two large torches either side of the room. "What's wrong with the walls?" Mari asked as she approached one, running a hand over some of the glyphs. She visibly shivered. They were cold to the touch.

"This is one weird place, kinda stupidly set out eh?" Mari asked Life, he still seemed to ignore her. Mari approached the table, picking up a black candle, twirling it in her fingers. "It seems the only time you're interested in me lately is if I have killed someone; well Life - I've done so thrice more. Tom, Sugar, and Spice." She said bitterly. She slammed the candle back down on the table, snapping it in half as she turned to face Life.

"THATs what you want to hear ISN'T IT?" She screamed, a mixture of hurt and anger in her voice.

L grinned and looked back towards her, her fit of rage accompanied by the news brought a twinkle to his eyes. He could have easily blown her off but he decided maybe she needed something a little more. She had gone a bit further ahead of him and so he stood at the steps with his arms open as if he where a preacher "Oh? Is that so? Do you want me to congratulate you?" He smirked and shook his head "Oh Mari how you misunderstand me, but well done, you made me proud" He began to clap slowly as if he where mocking her evil deed, acting as if it where something that a child would have done. He waved his hand in front of him and closed his eyes opening them when he was done walking over by the table side and picked up the black candle. He bought it close it him and examined it eventually crushing it in his hand and smothered the remnants on the large cold stone slab. "I assure you this is no joke, it was only by coincidence that we had met up again. Do you really think i was interested in associating myself with you now? You don't seem very shaken by killing this man, oh how you've lost yourself Mari" The music seemed to intensify as he spoke, almost like he was hammering her with the very words of vindictive, psychotic, acolyte of suffering; his bright red eyes burning through her soul, but not with a rage, no.. it was something more sinister.

Life clapped, and with each clap the sound echoed in the chamber, each clap was like a strike against her already aching chest. Mari glared at Life, angry tears in her eyes. What happened to her friend? What happened to the man who helped her? Who comforted her? What happened to the Life who took her quips and returned them with ones of his own? Life...why?

"You're not the Life I know." Mari hissed; "You're right. I'm not as shaken, but I, unlike you have friends who had stood by me. I had Celes, I had Alkor. I once had you - but you..." Her angered words turned into small sobs. "You...You walked away from me...I thought...I thought we were friends. But if you don't want me around..."

Mari shook her head, wiping the tears from her eyes, her soul felt heavy and her chest grew tighter with each ragged breath, since when did it become so hard to breathe?

"I'm not...I'm not lost..."

The words came out as a barely audible whisper, Mari took a few steps away from Life; backing into the wall she slid down to her knees. She didn't know what she was trying to accomplish. She didn't mean to say such hurtful words to him. All she wanted as her friend back. The Life she knew, the Life she liked, those dark gleaming red eyes that preyed upon her small lithe form...were they the eyes of the same man she once knew?

He was enjoying himself now, is this what Sillith meant when she told him that she was bringing out the real him? It was as if he where slaughtering that tiger in the forest. A prey, mob or not, animal or not, he knew what he was now. A monster."To see others suffer does one good, to make others suffer even more: this is a hard saying but an ancient, mighty, human, all-too-human principle.... Without cruelty there is no festival. Right Mari?" He began to laugh, trying to suppress his sudden delight in the moment. He watched her carefully as she slid to the floor. It was at that moment it had hit him, through that silent hour of walking into this place it all became clear. "You're right i'm no longer that same man. I don't need anyone but myself and at this point your nothing but a distraction from my goals. As much as i'd like to be, i'm not alone. You Mari, are like me, what to do when you've abandoned your moral center and teachings...when you've cast aside your facade of propriety and lady-like demeanor.. Do not tell me you're the same after murdering your own daughter and two menHis thoughts trailed off and continued in his head, 

When I have so corrupted this fragile thing and brought out a writhing, mewling, bucking, wanton censored for my enjoyment and pleasure.....enticing from within this feral lioness...growling and scratching and biting...taking everything I dish out to her.....at that moment she is never more beautiful to me. Hmm.. Spoken like the man i always knew you where and hoped to be my darling 

He knelt down in front of her and extended a his index finger, trailing it across her cheek and wiping off her tears before standing back up and turning away from her, licking his own finger and staring back at her with the corner of his eye. "The answer you so desperately seek, is hidden within this cave. The world is twisted and diseased Mari, with time in such an environment a man changes, i thought you knew better" 

Mari lowered her head, "So...you're enjoying this? Seeing me suffer?" Daerons words flew back to her mind, and how he said it was strange seeing Mari so happy. That her happiness was weird. Was Mari's contentment that unnerving that everyone around her had to rip it away from her? Tearing it to shreds before her eyes? Life simply replied in answer to her question. So that was a yes then. Mari was nothing to Life. Was she always nothing? "Was I always...nothing more than a distraction?" Mari asked meekly, raising her head to look at him with questioning eyes.

Mari flinched when Life reached down and wiped away her tears; his touch was cold. Mari watched as he stood and turned away from her, Mari could have sworn he licked his finger, but with his back turned she couldn't be sure. Mari stood, something inside her had snapped. Is that how he wanted to play it was it? "I thought I knew better too..." Mari muttered, voice hollow as she approached him from behind. She grabbed hold of his hair with one hand, pushing his face against her cheek. "But all you want, is to savour my sadness, right?" She muttered, a small silence fell over the two and Mari could feel her heart breaking. Chest heavy.

Was this what Aincrad turned people into? Would this be what Celes and Alkor would end up becoming?

L could only smile as she pulled him in by his hair, this was just priceless. As his face was pushed against his cheek he let out a quite chuckle and embraced her touch, caressing his nose gently against her cheek, his lips just an inch away from her ear, ignoring her statement. "You're a monster Mari, just like me." He chuckled darkly "You're nothing, but, a, monster. You will soon learn what it truly means to suffer Mari. It's already too late for you. There is no escape from this place" Just as he finished his sentence a light tremor shook the ground knocking them both to the ground. It seemed as though their hour long pathway back was no longer an option. L started bursting out with insane laughter, Sillith was working her 'magic', soon Mari would face the horrors he once had to and still continues to, her eyes, would soon turn red too. 

A few moments later the tremors had stopped and L lightly picked himself up off the floor and dusted himself off. His grin was still visible, it was almost as if it was christmas eve and he was waiting to unwrap his present. He walked over to one of the tunnels and turned his head over to Mari "Unless you're done with me i suggest you find a way out" He smirked rather loudly and started to walk into the tunnel his hand running against the wall before he waved it past the back of his head. "Chao, Mari" His words had a sharpness to them, it was clearly not over, not until he was satisfied. 

Mari felt Life wrap his arms around her, joyously, enthusiastically. Nuzzling into her he rubbed his nose against her cheek, funnily enough drying her tears. He whispered cruel words into her ear, calling her nothing but a monster. What happened to him convincing her she was not a monster? That she was only human? Mari felt sick, she felt like she wanted to throw up. HE said the was no escape from the place, and as if almost on cue the place shook and Mari fell to the floor with Life on top of her.

Life quickly picked himself up and dusted himself off, a large grin on his features. It killed Mari to see that grin, more so than him calling her a monster. "life please, this isn't you." Mari said as she pushed herself to a seated position on the floor. "I'm not done with you!" She shouted out after him. She wasn't, she wanted him back, she wanted him to return to his cheery, light hearted self. But instead all Mari could do was sit on the floor and watch his form disappear into the darkness. 

L continued down the dark hallway and whispered to himself "Neither am iHis words were quite yet they boomed inside Maris head, the show had just begun. He travelled further down and eventually he arrived at the door, slowly opening it, he peered inside. The room was smaller than the last one he was just in, it seemed to just be a bedroom of some sorts but when he looked closer, the room extended out to the sides immensely. Bunk beds could be seen along the walls, it was endless. "Sillith darling, where am i?" You're in my domain my love, do not question what you see, i will guide you to what you seek With a calmed breathe he suddenly knew where he was going. "Ah, i see" He walked down 3 rows and to the left he saw a book case, he pulled on one of the books and it opened into a staircase going up further into the cave, he searched his mind back to where this was.. a mountain it would seem a cave which led inside a mountain.. "Very, very interesting" He walked up the stairs steadily eventually leading into a large hallway, there were many doors to his left and transparent glass panes to his right. He walked over by one of them and placed a gentle hand on it, it seemed to creek open and a battleground could be seen below, only.. it wasn't exactly an arena or a battleground... no. It was a battlefield, turned into morgue, or a tomb.  

Mari was left alone again with nothing but the strange orchestral bgm to comfort her. She stood up, throwing all the objects that were on the table to the floor, picking up the tablecloth she wrapped it around herself. "Stupid Life...I'm not a monster. You said that yourself..."

"Neither am I

The words seemed to echo in her head, Mari placed her hands over her ears, curling herself into a ball on the floor in the centre of the room. "SHUT UP!" She screamed. "I just want to go home....wake up from this...." Mari whispered to herself, forcing her head deeper into her knees. "Alkor...what did I Do wrong. Why does he hate me?"

L simply shrugged and continued walking down the hallway, it was a rather long walk and coupled with the hiking he had done to get to the cave he had become rather exhausted. He then turned into one of the rooms and there was nothing worth noting, same with most of the others. He reached the end of the hall and felt a sudden heavy pressure being placed on his shoulders, he couldn't quite explain what it was but it only got heavier as his hand reached for the handle. It was at that moment his mind went blank, his vision going a deep purple and he could see Mari from a birdseye view sitting alone where he had left her. He was rather disappointed that she hadn't moved, did she plan on staying inside the cave forever? If so then he or sillith didn't really need to put much effort in tormenting her further. She is pained by your absence dear. Reality seems to be taking a toll on her. Good, I'm glad to hear it. Oh? Oh my~ fufu~ I knew i was right to choose you~ Sillith was enjoying herself greatly, seeing L being twisted into the man she always wanted pleased her. His mind snapped back to where he was and he opened the door. It was a large octagonal throne room with 3 other doors. He wasn't going to bother continuing left but he decided to rest and sat on the throne. He wasn't the type for royalty or pampering, after all he did come from poverty but a seat was a seat. When he sat he closed his eyes gently and his mind travelled back to where Mari was, it was like he was watching T.V

Mari sighed; the chorus had finally stopped and she was alone in an eerie silence. Mari stood up, kicking a goblet that had fallen from the table, it clattered against the floor. "Stupid rubbish..." She muttered, voice empty. She didn't like being here any more. Mari didn't see the point in following someone who hated her. She turned to look at  the way she and Life had came, but it seemed to be completely blocked. Her hand traced over the rocks and boulders that blocked her path. Would being trapped here alone really all that bad? 

It'd be a fitting end for her; for all the sins she had committed. Mari closed her eyes and lowered her head. She was almost ready to give up; and yet...and yet - she again found herself relying on Alkor. How such a cold and distant man managed to affect her, she didn't know, but his words. His wishes. He wanted her to be save. He wanted her alive. Mari turned from the rock and stared at the three paths before her. Mari wouldn't go down the one Life went down, that would probably lead deeper into the cave - considering he wanted to find treasure. Mari tied the cloth around her neck and went down the middle tunnel.

The strange glyphs kept the tunnel lit in a soft glow, she continued forward and found herself in some sort of tomb. There were bodies littered all over the place. Mari knew they weren't players. Players would have burst into a flurry of data, leaving no remnants behind. "How sad...." Mari murmured. Reaching down to look at one who looked to be a woman no older than herself. "If only I had a shovel to bury you all..." Mari mumbled, choosing to sit on a mound of dirt to take in the scene before her. "Then again; you're all nothing more than data. Visuals to play on the heart, to create an atmosphere of disparity."

He watched as Mari made her way down the middle path leading into the tomb. What are you planning to do with her? There was only quite laughter, the silence worried him. He wasn't all to sure exactly what Sillith was or why she did what she did. Even now, however lost he was, he felt horrible for her, even if it was a dying candle of what was left for him. The tomb was dark and soon soon a new quire began to play. What was Sillith planning? The music churned his insides as the tomb began to crawl with life, though none was visible. 

Hello Amari Olfsden.. I see you've made yourself comfortable. There was a slight glitch in her speech, something L hadn't witnessed before.. her voice wasn't the same sadistic one he had come to know... it was... menacing. She sounded like she was about to harm her. Well.. that much was to be expected.. but this was a lot more serious than he had anticipated. It wasn't right.. what was Sillith going to do to her?

You thought you could simply run away from your actions and call yourself human? Take a good look around you.. tell me what you see. There where slabs with names written on them. Each stone, with the name of a deceased player. It explained why the room was so huge, there where thousands. And the one in front of her was none other than the grave of Evelyn Olfsden. 

A voice made Mari jump, she shifted to her feet; drawing her blade. "WHO'S THERE?" She screamed, dagger at the ready, she couldn't tell where the voice was coming from, and the room was darker than the one before. Not quite dark enough for her to not see anything, but seeing in the distance...that was an issue for the pink haired woman. What got to Mari most, was how the voice knew her name; not only her first name but her last. 

Mari only ever told one person the entirety of her name. 

Alkor.

Mari felt sick, her stomach twisting and her heart churning, did Alkor betray her and tell someone else her full name? "How do you know my name?" Mari shouted into the room, but instead of an answer; a odd chorus began to play again; this field - this cavern...was it some sort of event? If it was it was sick. It was wrong. 

The voice, broken and cruel asked Mari to look around. Mari's cerulean eyes slowly travelled along the room; finally landing on a stone with the name 'Evelyn Olfsden'  Mari's eyes widened and she instinctively lashed out at the stone with her foot. Giving it one hard kick to the ground, it tumbled over. "What kind of sick joke is this?"

L smirked, it was sickening but intriguing, he decided a more open view should be taken and opened his eyes walking back down the hallway and opening one of the glass panes again and peering down at the scene, there she was, dagger in hand looking down at the tomb. If L hadn't lost himself so far already he would have jumped down to save her from this torment. But alas he was no longer that man, in fact, he was enjoying himself. He twirled a strand of his hair, a content smile spread across his face.

No joke darling Amari, tell me.. did you enjoy killing those three? Two more stone slabs rose from the ground, Argumail and Tom. Was Sillith controlling the game? What the [censored] was she? I have been watching you for a long, long time. Same with Alkor and other murderers.. ALL players who enjoy what they did or will.. Even your friend LIFE. You don't deserve to leave this world, NONE OF YOU DO! L's eyes were widened by her words. She wanted to.. trap them? They were ALREADY trapped.. His smile quickly faded.. what in the world was going on...

"What the F***k?" Mari muttered as two more tombstones emerged from the ground; almost circling her.  "What the hell is this? What kind of F***ed up quest is this?" Mari muttered, again kicking down the tombstones. "I didn't enjoy any of it. If you're looking for someone like that, toddle off to Daeron or Zelrius." Mari said in a bitter tone. "They seem to love what they do." 

Mari lowered her head when the strange, cracked voice mentioned Alkor and Life; and how she said that all killers enjoyed what they did. "You're wrong. Alkor didn't enjoy it; if it weren't for me - if it weren't for my weakness he never would have killed anyone." Mari was visibly shaking now, tears stinging the corner of her eyes. "If you want to blame anyone for him...blame me. If you want ANYONE trapped here than fine TAKE ME!" Mari screamed into the air.  "But DON'T hurt Alkor, or Life! They have homes to return to!" 

Mari shook her head, more angry tears flowing from her eyes. They had homes, they had families and they had people waiting for them. Everyone did. Evelyn would have had her, and her father, Tom had his brother and Argumail had friends. Mari. Mari had no one. She didn't expect anything to come of her time in this game, she never expected to form such close bonds with people. Only to have them ripped way.

Mari dropped her dagger, voice becoming defeated. 
"I've already had Life walk away from the monster I am. It's only a matter of time before others do to. So do whatever the hell you want with me. I don't care any more."

Sillith laughed. Oh don't you worry about them, they'll get what they deserve, all of you will. If you didn't enjoy it, if you KNEW it was wrong, then why did you kill not once, not twice, but three times. Poor Evelyn, her life taken by such an insane and undeserving mother. If you didn't enjoy killing Mari then tell me. Why did you kill Tomoya Kiragawa? Because he begged you to? Because he had a bounty on his head? If you truly valued human life you would have let him live. He stood there while you MURDERED him. HE HAD FAMILY TO RETURN TO. If you can kill someone, strike them DOWN while they stand idly, then accept that you're inhuman. Accept that you a void of human emotion. You're the most twisted kind of human. Psycotic and delusional, trying to rationalise your murders with lies. Can you strike her down again Amari? To save your own life, will you strike her down again? Her voice was threatening, she wasn't going to let Mari leave with her sanity intact. A visual image of Evelyn appeared in front of Mari, her arms extended out towards Mari "Mama!" There were visible tears in her eyes, though it was just a computer program created by Sillith, it looked just as real as anyone in the game could get.