[PP-F8] Irresistible (Lessa)

Daeron took a breath in and finished the fight he had just endured for a rather longsome while. The fight seemed to have been going against his odds and he had actually been scathed of a single sliver of health. Something he didn't like at all was losing to a monster, even if it was a single point of health. In the end, the monster had been defeated and he had nothing he wanted to do was otherwise. He was literally clearing out the area so that he can relax, rather than trying to find a location that was unpopulated, he decided to take the hard route and hone his skills by getting involved in some territorial war with a few monsters that existed about the location.

The temperature was fair, not to hot, but definitely not to cold for him either, but still not perfect. The sky was looking slightly cloudy, but not cloudy enough for it to rain. He had avoided towns for such a long time to avoid people in general. He always believed there's too many sharks, but not enough blood in the waves, seeing how nobody was tough enough to give him a fight or fight against one another. He felt that the fights that do happen didn't have enough rounds in the ring or enough settled scores.

He sat down, on a soil-layered ground, with leaves and branches about the place. He made sure not to sit on one or a few, to avoid splinters in places that would never be too pleasant to have at. Out of boredom, he opened up his GUI menu, which appeared white, but still transparent. Nothing he did not a days seemed to be just one defined feature. They all had to have their own sort of flair. Of course the only thing he believe was okay to have flair was his fighting style to show off against anybody he fought.

Pressing a few of the menus he found his way to the friends list. A few people were on a floor while others were in places he had no intentions of going to anytime soon. At first, he was considering sending some of them or one of them a request to come hang out with him, but he thought against it and left it alone, closing his menu with the swipe of a hand and shining his weapon using his sleeve.

The eighth floor had never been Lessa's favorite, but she was finding herself growing partial to it. As it was a higher level, there were very few players wandering about; those who she did come in contact with were often preoccupied with their own quests or level grinding. This meant that Lessa was allowed a bit of peace and quiet, and some time to herself to think. Granted, the woman had been very much on her own for the past couple of months. After her dream, which had shaken her to the core and motivated her to completely reevaluate her game play, she had distanced herself from those around her. That's not to say she was mean. On the contrary, the blonde found herself reaching out to more new players than ever. She spent her days helping them level, understand the game mechanics, and find the courage to leave the safe zones. What was different, however, was the close ties she had once lived to forge with others. No longer did Lessa find herself putting her entire being in the hands of others. Too many times it had ended poorly, and though the last thing she wished to do was write her own sob story, she recognized that clinging to another one more time might do her more harm than good.

It was for that reason that she was less than pleased to find Daeron that afternoon. The Guardian nearly walked on top of her guild mate, bursting through a nearby bush to find him on the ground. She caught her breath softly, and for a split second, debated turning around and hurrying the other direction. She did not hate him, or even dislike him for that matter, but he did remind her of a time long past. A time she was fighting to forget, and move on from.

"Hello, Daeron," Lessa greeted finally, her voice soft as it slipped past her lips. It was too late to turn back.

As he finished off shining his blade, he realized someone stopped near him. He had his eyes closed the entire time while shining, but when he heard the voice, he knew that Lessa had shown up. "Hello, Lessa." he said as he didn't even stand up to greet her or even make eye contact. Ever since the problems she shared with him, he hadn't really been the same around her, and probably the same for her around him. Either way, he sighed and then cleared his throat. "I'd stand to greet you, but I'm sort of busy right now. Can I help you?" he said as he finally looked up at her, but kept a straight face and fierce eyes the entire time. He remembered the problems that she faced and how he had tried to help her, but in the end she pushed him away. Though hurt, he didn't feel it was right to stay completely away from her, especially not if they were part of the same guild at such high positions of command in the guild too to make the whole situation worse.

His tone was dry, and the look she gave him was equally so. It seemed that Daeron's mood had not improved since the last time they had interacted. It was so strange to her, how his temper could be lit and extinguished so easily. When they had previously discussed their relationship, he had seemed content to remain friends. But their brief meetings since had been strained, and she simply could not understand why. He was unpredictable, a whirlwind that left her scrambling to keep up.

In fact, she had heard a few rumors about Daeron that she found unsettling. He had declared himself second in command of the Guardians upon Alkor's departure, an action which she had not taken issue with. However, she was growing wary of the title he wore, and how his actions might reflect on her; she was, after all, his direct leader in the guild. While she had hoped to hold a private meeting with him in the next week or so, this seemed as appropriate a time as any. 

"Actually, yes," she began, standing a short distance away from the sitting man. "I've heard that Drake has had a few run-ins with both you and Mari. While I recognize that Drake is a handful, I wanted to ensure that you were handling the situation properly. He is a member of the guild, for now, and so we should act accordingly."

Crossing her arms tightly against her chest, she added, "I'm not accusing you of anything. I just want to know the full story."

Daeron sighed and he looked down to the ground shaking his head. "You want the story, huh? Alright." he said as he put his hands on his hips. Putting one of his fingers on his chin, almost as if he were thinking, he then moved it momentarily later. Daeron took a deep breath and began to tell the story. "Well, let's start with when we met. I was asleep in a tree, thought he was a PK Hunter, so I stayed on edge. When I first saw him, I told him to "shoo" and then he began ridiculing me. After that. Let's just say things started to get very heated." he said as he looked as Lessa.

He looked around, taking in the scenery for the moment and then turned back his attention to the conversation he was having. "Listen, I don't know what I'm doing anymore lately. All these new players we've been getting... they've been sort of... weak." he said blatantly. When he signed up for the Guardians, he didn't know he'd be with all of these little weaklings. There was the exception of Lessa, but that's pretty much it.

His explanation drew a long, heavy sigh from the guild leader. "I figured as much," Lessa muttered, one hand rising to her face as she absentmindedly rubbed her temple. Her few brief encounters with Drake had suggested that he might be a handful. Unfortunately, "handful" may have been a severe understatement. If he was already making enemies, that put Drake in hot water. By extension, it also threatened the entire guild; they would be forced to come to his aid should anything happen to him. The blonde had assumed that he would be difficult to negotiate with, but she had hoped that her warning would have had some effect. 

Of course, that was not to say that she believe Drake was the only culprit. Though she was not in a position to admit it, Lessa suspected Daeron and Mari were to blame as well. The two higher-level player killers were notorious for their less-than-pleasant interactions with newcomers, and she found herself wondering just how involved they had been. More likely than not, they had encouraged him.

His second comment caused the young woman to grow tense. He was point-blank questioning her decisions as a guild leader, and truth be told, she did not appreciate it. That's rich, coming from someone who is never around, and who finds great joy in harassing our own members. But she kept her features emotionless when she replied, "times are tough. There are not many high-level players around, Daeron. A lot of them died with the last batch of front-liners. We have to start somewhere."

Daeron sighed, he knew he had to say it. If he didn't it would just hold him back further and further. "Lessa." he began, drawing in a deep and heavy breath before continuing his sentence. "There's something I need to tell you." he continued, leaving out the rest of his sentence once more. Finally, once he recollected his thoughts, he looked her in the eyes with his own, to share a stare for a moment. "I need to grow stronger, but I don't think I can do that surrounded by these players. I'd like to leave the guild to join Azure Brigade, so we can once again rise and help launch full scale boss fights to clear this game faster." he said as he then broke the stare.

That was hard for him to say, even harder to say it kindly.

Truth be told, Daeron didn't even want to join the Guardians to begin with. The only reason he joined was for Lessa, and since nothing really seems to work with her, he wants to 'stay friends' with her, but as a part of a new guild. He had to show to her that he knows how to move on with his life and not get hung up so much on a single event. If he showed such weakness, then he knew that he'd be showing he's desperate... which for the record, he isn't.

His words struck her like an oncoming freight train. She winced, visibly shaken by his declaration. There goes another one, sneered a voice from the depths of her mind. The last of your veterans. You're the only one now, Wild Rose. What are you going to do about it? The thought was enough to spur the young woman into action.

Immediately, her features hardened. He turned away from her, but her icy gaze bore into the side of his head. "Fine," she replied, her voice cold and detached. Anger bubbled up deep within her, masking any feelings of sadness that existed. Later, she might reflect on this moment, and mourn over his departure. But at that moment, it took all the strength of will that she possessed not to slap him across the face.

"Go then," she told him, motioning with her free hand. "Leave me with my weak, ineffective guild." Her words oozed with sarcasm, and she jabbed one long, slender finger in his direction. "But we will see you on the front lines, and you will be eating those words soon enough."

Daeron was shocked by how fast she had changed emotions. "Lessa, listen. This is going to sound as cliche as anything I say, but really it's not you... it's me. I just don't think I'm good enough for the job. I'm not cut out for it. You don't think I want to be with you? Making memories throughout the game?" he screamed. This time, he was angry. "All I've done was try to help you this entire time... and this is how you treat me? The reason why I fell for you to begin with was because you were different. I loved you Lessa... I did, but lately, I just think about how much trouble it is trying to even get close to you anymore. In fact, I liked you so much more when Alkor was still around being the bane of my existence. At least back then we could have some normal conversations."

Daeron turned and began to walk a few paces the way she pointed. His eyes looking fiery as ever and in fact almost looking hostile. He would never hurt her though. He'd feel awful and couldn't live with himself anymore. "Truth is. I wanted to be a green player to be with you. I knew that the orange cursor, and the way I show my affection would cause you to think differently of me. And at least when Alkor was around..." he stopped to think of his words if he really wanted to say them. "At least when he was around, you compared me to someone you loved yourself. Now that he's gone, I'm not needed either." Grunting to himself, full of frustration, he tried to fight back a tear. Before he knew it, several had ran down his cheek and off his chin. Daring not, to turn around and face her now that he was humiliated, he kept his back turned.

He raised his voice at her, but Lessa did not back down. She took it in strong silence, her jaw working as she allowed him to land attack after attack. She would let him say his piece, as he clearly had a lot that he wished to get off his chest. That much, she was willing to do for him. But when he finally grew silent, and gave her an opening, she would take it. The young woman had her own problems; there were more than she cared to admit, in fact. Those issues would only be addressed if she were to share them. Besides, there was absolutely no reason why she should not return a few of those attacks herself.

The words had been rehearsed in her head as Daeron spoke to her, but when she began to answer, she had to fight to control her emotions. "This is not about Alkor," she countered, arms crossing tightly across her chest. "People keep bringing him back up, attributing everything that I do to him. But I'm done with him. I have accepted my situation, and the exile he has placed upon me. If he wishes to treat me as a stranger, there is nothing that I will be able to do change his mind. I've come to terms with that. I've moved on."

"This is about you and me," she continued, "and nothing else." Though he did not turn back to face her, she knew that he was listening. "His leaving has absolutely no impact on our relationship. Period. And if you truly believe that I loved Alkor, you should understand that I do not judge a man on the color of his cursor. I judge a man based on his actions. And I liked you, Daeron. I did. Do you remember when we went ice skating? That was an incredible evening. But I needed time. I was confused, and when I asked you for that, you seemed willing to wait for me."

The Guardian's voice darkened as frustration clouded her features. "But then you spent those evenings with Mari." Her voice cracked as she exclaimed, "we have mutual friends, Daeron. Word gets around. I know that you've been seeing her." Lessa sighed softly. "I'm not your keeper, and I will not try to police your actions. You're Daeron, the whirlwind, wild and untamed. I will not pretend like I can change that. But understand why I am hesitant to trust you; why I fear your promises are empty. I'm not willing to give myself over to you blindly, hoping to see change once you have me, but not a moment before."

Holding herself tighter, she concluded, "and please do not blame your actions, or my own insecurities, on a man who is now a ghost."

Hearing her own series of points, he came to a realization. She was right. He did still like her, perhaps he just didn't know how much until he finally had to think about it. "I remember-" he started as he cleared off the fluid from his eyes. Turning back around to her, he then looked her in the eyes, with much less angry eyes and in fact very saddened eyes. They looked nothing like they usually do. If one had to say, Daeron looked weak without his glare. "I remember when we went ice skating..." he said as he held his look with hers. "That night... was the best night of my life. I was able to show someone the true me. The real, Daeron- No. The real, Bryan." he said revealing his name to her.

"You're right for me being so childish right now. I shouldn't blame anything on Alkor, nor should I even bring him up. When I said I'd wait for you I meant it, and to this day, I still will wait. It's no lie that I've been with Mari a few evenings, but that's because I had thought you wanted nothing to do with me for the most part. She was the only other person I could really talk to that didn't despise me as some sort of... tool." he said as his eyes began to fill with tears again, but he did his best to fight them back.

Daeron took a step closer to her and he took her hand in his left and he placed his right on top of hers. "I'm sorry Lessa. I want to be able to show you that side of me again. The side I showed on that night." Giving a slight chuckle to himself, he sighed. "I remember the first time I'd layed eyes on you. I thought you were the most beautiful person I've seen. to this day, I still think that."

Though her cheeks warmed under his compliment, the young woman's features remained troubled. Daeron turned back to her, and their gaze caught and held as he continued to speak. They player killer's eyes overflowed, but the guild leader's remained dry; she had no more tears to shed for him, or anyone else.

When he finally finished his short monologue, it took time for Lessa to find the words. "Bryan." The name felt foreign to her. With a soft sigh, she confessed, "it has been a very long time since I called anyone by their real name. It seems so strange to me." She felt his hand on hers, but she did not react to it. Perhaps it was meant to be a gesture of friendship, and nothing more. Or, he was once again trying to make a move on her. With Daeron, she never knew for sure.

"I'd like to see that side of you again." The Guardian offered him a small, yet genuine smile. "It was nice." A pause, and then, "but I do have other commitments too. I have a guild filled with players who need my help. You may not think much of them, but to me, those players are my charges. They depend on me, and their safety is more important than anything else."

Her blue eyes hardened. "I need to keep them safe, and I need to clear floors. That is going to be my focus from now on." Lessa drug her lower lip between her ivory teeth. "I'm tired," she exclaimed suddenly, her voice climbing in pitch. "I'm tired of the nonsense. I'm tired of spending more time worry about petty drama than staying alive and beating the game. I used to think I needed someone to draw my strength from. Now, I know better. I don't need anyone."

Lessa motioned to Daeron with her free hand. "Not that any of this is directed at you," she informed him, shaking her head. "Your friendship means a lot to me. But I won't waste my time on silly arguments and needless violence between players anymore. This is Aincrad, not high school. I hope that you and I can agree on that."