[PP-F?] A Bloom in the Valley of Ruin (Keith, Kiru)

Guest Keith

Continuation of Breaktime

Ruby Carbuncle bounded down the hill, after the direction he had seen his master taking off after. The Carbuncle dove into a patch of flowers, only his tail being visible above. He swiftly scurried away, following daisies that had seemed to be stepped on or bent. Ruby then saw the trail end. He saw a blue, black, and white figure laying down. Ruby yipped and ran over, bounding double time to get over there. He scurried over to Kiru's face, licking her cheek and yipping again. Ruby then straightened up, all four of his ears tensing as the sound of mobs spawning sounded in the distance. Two <Trents> appeared, each about 8 feet tall. Ruby bounced between them and Kiru, and bared his fangs at them, hissing. The wooden monsters didn't stop, and continued closer.

Keith kept his eyes shut as he ran, trying to drain out everything he had done. All he had put on Kiru... It was his fault. She probably thought he was a creep now. And after seeing how far he had gotten with her, he couldn't believe he had just failed because he couldn't just hold back his feelings for her. But, the sound of an update stopped him. He slowed down, opening his eyes. From Kiru. He looked at the message... Reading it over a few times. It was horrible. But Keith loved it. He closed the menu and turned around, looking back in the direction he had come. "Kiru! I'm coming! Full speed ahead!" Keith said ecstatically. This. THIS, was one of the rare occasions when he actually used his top speed. A loud sonic boom sounded as he rocketed off, racing back the way he came at top speed.

Ruby stood strong between Kiru and the monsters, growling at them, warning them to back off. But without his master, Ruby couldn't do more than delay them. Maybe not even that. One monster raised it's hand above Ruby, ready to smash him.

Then, a bright red line appeared across the monster's waist.

The top half of it's body slowly slid off from the lower, crashing to the ground and bursting into crystals. 

"Timber." The Blue Blader said, standing there as the lower half exploded too. Ruby stayed by Kiru as Keith sidestepped the second monster's attack, bringing his sword upward for a momentum fueled attack. His blade cleaved into the monster's side, and he kicked it back, the slash finally going the whole way through and destroying it. Keith slid Astral Blade back into its sheath, and he ran to Kiru's side, gently lifting her in his arms and shaking her. "Kiru? Kiru? Please... Please be okay..."

I blinked my eyes open slightly when I felt something touch my face so suddenly. On my face and happy to see me was Keith's familiar, the weird cat. I chuckled just a little bit before closing my eyes again to sleep. I was tired from running around all day. The previous events had been passing through my head as I slept but also while I was awake. It was confusing and I couldn't really determine if I had just dreamed it all. It would make sense since I was sleeping in the middle of nowhere. The flower crown would just be because I saw daisies before sleeping, the cake would be because I was hungry, and the kiss well...that might have been from me falling so hard on my head. All would be hallucinations from my dream. I turned to my side, and went back to sleep.

From around me I heard loud noises, as if someone was killing a mob or something, then strangely, my name. I also felt a shaking sensation. I made a groaning sound, like I was really tired, and slowly opened my eyes. I looked through my bangs, covering my face, to see a set of eyes looking at me. Keith's to be exact. Confused, I furrowed my eyebrows and managed to squeak out a simple hello. K-eith? I mumbled, still half asleep and honestly really confused. 

Keith blinked in surprise and hugged her, cradling her as he kept her in the embrace. "Thank god... I made it back in time..." He whispered, moving himself so his legs acted as a cushion for her head. "Are you okay? Did you lose some HP?" He asked, brushing a few strands of hair out of Kiru's eyes as he looked into them. Frankly, he wasn't feeling like he had the authority to turn her over and check her backside. The whole way he was cradling her, and being so gentle made him think she was the most fragile thing in the world. Though, she was far from that in her own right. "I got your PM and... And I..." Keith just smiled and closed his eyes, shaking his head. He knew what she meant in her PM. They definitely could be together. But. Nobody else would ever get to know. This would have t be something they would keep secret.

I let out a slight sound of surprise as Keith hugged me. This raised a couple questions in my head, and I decided to ask them while he moved my bangs from my face. Would you mind telling me why you're hugging me like I almost died or something? Also, what did you make it back in time for? Nothing was happening really. I just had some crazy dreams I wouldn't like to share. I explained, embarrassed a little for dreaming it. I turned my head to the side when he shifted. As When Keith moved his legs a small cry of pain escaped my lips. I bit the inside of my cheek and touched my hand to my back, I could tell something was there but I dismissed it. Well now I know why I don't have all of my HP..I chuckled slightly to myself and sat up. A flash of pain coursed through my body as I extended my back. I sucked in a deep breath amd made my lips into a thin line. I balled my hands into fists and looked at Keith, waiting for him to answer my questions. 

"Hey now, don't try to move, alright?" Keith said, tilting his head to the side as he took in her earlier request. "And... Crazy dreams? Whaddya mean? I just saw you like... No more than ten minutes ago. Up in the cemetery where we..." He stopped himself, clearing his throat before continuing. "Remember? We got cake earlier, played with animals, and... More stuff happened. Then you sent me some sappy poetry and, well, I guess it kinda saved the day." He said, shrugging slightly as he just looked back to Kiru and smiled. "Why? Did... Oh golly. Don't tell me you landed on your head and forgot..." He said, sighing heavily as he settled in the field. If she did, then they went right back to square one. Though, him telling her everything she had just dreamed about would be enough to let her know there was more going on.

Don't tell me what to do. I said kneeling on the ground and standing up. Keith, what is on my back? I cannot see my back because well...I just can't. I think I fell on something and that's why my health isn't full. I asked, putting my hair forward and out of the way so he could see if anything was there. You totally dodged my questions but I'm going to skip over them.. I dug the toe of my boot into a daisy and crushed it. So you are telling me that I really did run across town, eat cake with you, visit your familiar, and....ahem, fall down a hill like an idiot? I asked, turned my head to the side to half look at him while I held my hair out of the way for him.

Keith blinked and looked at her for a few moments. "Pretty much." He said rolling his eyes as he looked at the mark on Kiru's back. "Yeeeeesh... How do you get that from a field of daisies?" He said, not really 100 percent there. If Kiru really had forgotten everything, then that meant she felt nothing for him. The truth hit Keith like a truck full of bricks, and he felt his heart do a somersault, before getting an icy feeling. "...Oh..." He mumbled to himself. So now, he was hopelessly in love, and nothing to show for all the progress that had gotten him there, as well as Kiru for a brief moment. It really did suck being Keith. "Are you okay to walk?" Keith said, sulking slightly as he plucked up Ruby.

I rolled my eyes at him with a slight grin. I don't think it was from the field of daisies. I remember running through the town, sitting with in a cafe, and then we went to a cemetery or something? A-and then, correct me if I'm wrong, you kissed me? Then you ran away and now I'm in a field of flowers? I tried to explain to myself and Keith but I couldn't help it be a little nervous about it all. I looked him straight in the eye and raised an eyebrow as if I was asking if my story was correct. When Keith asked if I was okay to walk I was tempted to say yes but I knew better. No.. I mumbled, shifting my eyes to the side. I then opened up my HUD and scrolled through my items. I came across a scarf that had been gifted to me. I put blue scarf around my back acting as a way to stop the hurt sort. It would still hurt to walk so I just shook my head after getting the scarf adjusted.

Keith blushed brightly, and looked at the ground when she asked for confirmation of him kissing her. "Y-Yeah... I did..." He mumbled, still not looking up from the ground. "And... I ran because I thought for sure you would've gotten mad. I guess it's my fault this happened to you..." He said, twiddling his thumbs as he looked back up. "But... I can try and make it up to you. Here, don't move." Keith said, moving his arms under her, careful not to touch the gash. He lifted her up and elevated himself off the ground, Ruby jumping up onto his shoulder and perching in the usual spot. "The most I can do now is get you back to town. We can't stay out here, and we can't leave the wound untreated." Keith knew he ran the risk of getting caught by guards. But after all the damage he had done today, this was something he owed to Kiru.

Keith's reaction spoke louder than his words, he was nervous to tell me these things. When Keith told me he kissed me I smiled just a little, then frowned when he mentioned as a side note that is was his fault. Keith, it's not your fault that I fell down a hill. It's not your fault your familiar died. It's certainly not your fault for me being in this game, it was my choice for putting on the NervGear. I said slowly, remembering slightly seeing Cody's dog and going to rows of stones. Anyways, stop blaming yourself and smile. I may not return the smile to you put that's no reason for you...to be..sad. Unexpectedly, he lifted me up. I leaned my head against his shoulder and hugged my arms around his neck so I wouldn't fall. Don't go into town Keith, you'll be chased again. I mumbled and squeezed my arms tighter. Am I really okay with this? I usually would have refused..

Keith just looked ahead and thought briefly. "I'm not losing someone... Not again..." He said, his voice full of determination. He had lost too many to this game. Cicila, Atlus, Haine, Ruri, Startorius... He would give his life and freedom before he lost anyone else again. "Just hang tight. I'm going to get us to town." He said, going into a jog up the hill, Ruby clinging to his shoulder and trying not to fall off. Keith made it to the top of the hill, and ran past the familiar shelter, heading towards the town. Two guards were standing out front of the gate, and blew their whistles as Keith ran by. "Stop! Player Killer!" Keith just ran right past them and into the town, not paying them any mind. The warning bell in the town sounded and the sounds of guards all over sounded. Keith desperately looked around, and his eyes trained on a medical building. He ran over, setting Kiru down in front of it. "There... We made i-" He was cut off. A spear had nailed through his back and protruded from his chest. Keith fell to his knees, just looking down at the foreign object that had impaled him. 

I'm fine Keith, just drop me off where they can't see you. I'm sure I can walk now. I reassured him but he kept going. He ran past the familiar cottage and past the guards, warning him of no entry. Keith dodged incoming guards and eventually got to the hospital building. He set me on the ground and fell to his knees. My mouth gaped open when a spear suddenly pierced through Keith's chest. I tried to look him in the eye when he fell to his knees but he was too distracted by the weapon in him. I peered around him and saw about six guards in hot pursuit of Keith. Two spears came this way, both missing him by inches. By now I was angry and desperate. I stood up, ignoring the flash of pain, and stepped behind the kneeling Keith. I'm not a Player Killer but I will not hesitate to become one if you don't stop. You have no idea why his cursor isn't green and you payed me no mind. He isn't a bad guy so sto- My speech was cut off by the sound of more whistles. They didn't care that I was a green player. The fact that I was standing near him was enough to continue. A spear came spiraling towards me at the end of the whistles. I quickly reached behind myself back and grabbed my dagger, throwing it hard towards the incoming weapon. The spear dropped but there was another following right behind it. This one didn't allow me time to respond quick enough. It scraped my right arm and clanged to the ground. I huffed out an annoyed breath and glared the supposed "police." They knew well that they couldn't do damage, only pain. Keith? I asked, glancing behind my back to check on him.

Keith's hands shook slightly as he gripped the wooden shaft of the spear, slowly sliding it out of his torso and dropping it to the ground. It clattered slightly, and Keith grimaced with pain as he stood up. "It feels like I live in a world made of cardboard..." He mumbled, looking over his shoulder at the guards. "...Always careful not to destroy something." He had enough. Being treated like a villain after doing the right thing. Keith knew he could kill each one of those guards at a moments notice. They wouldn't even have time to blink. Keith then realized the murderous intent starting to control him, and he pushed it back. Instead, he closed his eyes and pointed one finger up. "Grandmother said this, 'In a world full of enemies, there is someone you must protect.'" He said, opening his eyes and looking to Kiru. "Get in there and heal. I can handle whatever they throw at me." He stood up, gently lifting Kiru's chin with his thumb. He leaned forward and placed a kiss on hers lips, seemingly, a moment of silence taking the area. 

Don't tell me what to do! Keith. This is not the time to be a hero! C'mon, just run. My hands shook at my sides as Keith lifted my chin slowly. Our eyes met before he leaned forward and kissed me again. It was quick but I still felt something in it. Silence filled the air, it seemed as though everyone was watching. From behind I heard something break through the silence, a sharp object. It came soaring towards me but I did nothing, if I moved it would hit Keith. Instead, I stood still, back still facing the enemy and allowed it to break through the already open gash on my back. It went so far in that it protruded through the front of my and just barely touched Keith. A smile made it's way onto my face as I looked up. Come on before I start crying here. I let out a slightly strangled laugh and took in a deep breath. Please...I said, putting both of my hands on each of Keith's shoulders. 

Keith nodded and gently placed a hand upon Kiru's cheek, looking into her eyes.. "Right..." He said, turning his attention on how they could get out. If they could just get out again, then passively their health would restore. They just needed a hiding spot. "I have an idea. Follow me!" He said, not waiting for her approval before taking her hand and leading her off. It hurt to run, but they had to escape the guards. Keith really started hating those guys. He went at a speed he knew Kiru could keep up at, and not cause either of them too much pain. He turned a corner and went into an alley, seeing a cart full of hay. "Quick! In here!" He whispered to Kiru, hopping in himself and offering to help her into the pile of straw as well.

Following my plead, Keith ran. I held Keith's hand tight and ran behind him. Mostly it was him dragging me but I did my best to keep up with him. The wound on my back was still there but for now I just left it, I had one goal. And that was to get away from there. We ducked into an alley way quickly, leaving the guards confused. Keith jumped into a cart of hay and offered to help me in. I waved him off and climbed into the hay. It was an uncomfortable position and the hay was poking me but I kept quiet. About a minute later I heard whistles approach us, getting louder with each passing moment. Then thankfully, the whistles got softer and eventually diminished. I exhaled harshly, like I had been holding my breath and looked over at Keith. Thanks.

Keith looked at Kiru in the hay. They had found a small area inside that was structurally sound. "Heh... Don't mention it..." Keith said with a strained chuckle, his entire body in pain but able to tolerate. "In fact... We shouldn't mention this to anyone." He said, his eyes trained on Kiru. "If people knew about us... If they knew we were in love... Well... Things wouldn't go over so well. We're from two opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither of our peers would accept our relationship." Keith placed his hand on Kiru's and smiled slightly. "..So, we'll just have to keep a secret." He said to her, his smile now back to the usual kind he had. Happy, positive, optimistic.

This moment was what I was afraid of, someone confessing any feelings of affection towards me. My mind was whirling with thoughts, trying to get a clear picture but all I could think about was right now, Keith. I kept my eyes level with his and stared blankly. Keith, I have no idea what you mean. We're on the same side, or at least I think we are. We hold different views and goals but you're stupid if you think I care if anyone accepts me or not. I wouldn't care if I had Player Killers chasing after me. I said, defiant towards his idea. He wanted everything to be a secret, and in a way so did I, but I could tell it wasn't going to turn out well. Keith could pretend and protect me but he needed to know I didn't need his protection, just his company was fine. Dummy, you don't need to protect me! I said with a hint of sadness but covered it up with a smile. 

Keith blinked and sat back, not giving any mind to the pain he had now. "Kiru... I..." She was right. She was more than able to protect herself, and was pretty much equal to Keith. And she didn't care what others thought of her. Keith held his look at her, thinking for a few moments. He realized she was right. If they couldn't let the world know they were together, then that meant they were afraid of the stability a relationship would hold. Keith then had an idea. The ultimate way to declare that they didn't care what anyone else in the world thought. Keith put one hand behind Kiru's head, giving her a soft kiss on the lips before he sat back. "Kiru..." He said, his vibrant emerald eyes reflecting on her icy blue ones. "...Let's get married."

My eyes widened when those two words were said. Excuse me...what? I asked, tilting my head to the side and smiling. Surely I had heard him wrong or something. I was stuck by the sudden request. I bit my lip and looked into Keith's eyes, unblinking. For the longest time I had sat there as thoughts came and went through my head. Is he serious? Will he just pull back and laugh, go say hi to someone else? What if he's just kidding, fooling around. No, Keith isn't like that. I was there with him at the grave- wait grave? Oh, now I remember. We were at his old familiar's grave when he ran away. He wasn't running because he didn't care, he was scared of rejection I think... I thought, then finally closed my eyes and sighed. The choice was clearer than ever now. So you, Keith Yudai, made me run across town, fall down a hill, and made me be impaled by a spear just to ask me? Well, I think you are asking for a lot of me, and yourself. I couldn't contain it anymore, I smiled brightly. Okay, let's get married. But first we need to get some healing items because I think I'm about to pass out! I exclaimed, glancing at my health bar. From the running, the injuries, and the fall, my health bar was now almost in the red zone. It was slowly yet surely making progress. I laughed and hugged Keith.