[SP-F8] Deforestation

Azide glanced around at the tall trees around him. "Yes, this certainly is a giant forest. Although I hadn't been sure whether the forest would be giant in area, or in the size of its trees. Apparently, it's both, although that could've been made a little less ambiguous. Perhaps 'Forest of Giant Trees' would be a more accurate name." In any case, he decided to stop being so pedantic and continued making his way through the forest. "Been a while since I went to a forest of some sort for a supply run," he thought. The last time, he'd visited the jungle, but was attacked by an imposter that called itself The Gemini.

All of a sudden, he heard a rustling sound coming from somewhere to his right. He looked over to see branches moving about. "No, those aren't actual branches, are they? They're far too small compared to all the other trees around here." He moved closer, cautiously. Before long, a wooden creature stepped forward, appearing to be some sort of humanoid tree-like hybrid. "Reminds me of a certain character from a certain popular movie."

In any case, he came running at the humanoid tree, evading the swipe of its branch-like hands, then slashed at its torso. A red gash appeared across its trunk-like chest. The creature looked displeased, having lost half of its health from the attack.

ID: 10176

BD: 6 (Hit)

MD: 3 (Miss)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

Azide HP: 26/26

Lumber Jack HP: 8/16 (-8)

The wooden monstrosity swiped at him again, with an upward diagonal motion. It repeated this motion with both hands, one after another, making the creature appear as if it were performing a strange dance of some sort. Despite a few close calls, in which Azide had been able to feel the creature's thorned arms graze his own, he'd managed to escape their long reach. "Let me do you one better, Jack," said Azide. He stepped to the side and circle around, then slashed at the creature again from behind. He'd nearly missed, and perhaps he would've, had it not been for the amount of concentration he'd devoted to the precise strike. The creature shattered, leaving behind some enchanted wood. He picked the material up and examined it, then sent it off to his inventory.

ID: 10177

BD: 2 + 3 (Equipment + Skills) + 1 (Concentration) = 6 (Hit)

MD: 7 (-2 Accuracy) = 5 (Miss)

LD: 6 (Nothing)

Concentration CD (0/5)

Lumber Jack: 0/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired.

Another one of the strange creatures came running out at him from depths of the forest. "It makes me wonder. Will these creatures one day grow up to be as large as the trees that they shelter behind? Now that's a scary thought." Apparently he'd spent a little too much time mulling over that concept, as the creature had managed to land a direct hit, raking its thorned branch-like hands across his face. Instinctively, he brought his up and clutched it, wincing in pain. "Damn you," he muttered under his breath. The pain seared into him, though it soon faded way. "Although the memory won't die nearly as easily." Azide ducked under its arms as they attempted to strike him once more, then slashed at the creature directly over where its heart would be, if it had indeed been human.

ID: 10178

BD: 9 (Crit +1)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 9 (Crit +1)

Damage taken (Azide) = 1 (Base) + 1 (Crit +1) - 3 (Mitigation) = 1 (Min)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) + 1 (Crit +1) = 9

Azide HP: 26/26 (-1)(+1)

Lumber Jack HP: 7/16 (-9)

At the end of the creature's hands stretched long and pointed branches. Some straight out, like javelins, while others curled and curved about. The creature had continued swinging away at him, but missed wildly with each and every strike. "Oh come on now, you're not even trying anymore," he said, ducking and dodging its wooden hands. Growing tired of their little dance, he slashed upwards, slicing through the creature's arms. After taking care of its offensive ability, he stabbed the creature straight through its chest, shattering it on impact. More crafting wood was left behind in addition to a small sum of col, both of which were immediately sent to Azide's inventory.

ID: 10191

BD: 8 (Hit)

MD: 1 (Miss)

LD: 14 (Loot found)

Lumber Jack HP: -1/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (2 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired.

"Oh boy, another one," muttered Azide, spotting another one of the humanoid creatures the corner of his eyes. It came running straight at him with a stiff and awkward, yet unexpectedly fast gait. Its movements resembled those of a velociraptor's, from the way its legs moved to the way its arms were held out while it ran. Azide ran forward himself, then swung his rapier at the creature, only for its hands to wrap around his blade. "What the hell? You can do that?" The creature raked his chest with its wooden claws using its other hand, leaving his chest searing He managed to free his sword from its grasp, then slashed at it once before leaping back to safety.

ID: 10193

BD: 5 (+3 Accuracy) = 8 (Hit)

MD: 10 (Crit +2)

Damage taken (Azide) = 1 (Base) + 2 (Crit +2) - 3 (Mitigation) = 1 (Min)

Azide HP: 25/26 (-1)

The creature attempted to swipe at him once more, but missed by the thinnest hair you could ever imagine. "Wow, I feel as if I just dodged that by the thinnest hair I could ever imagine," thought Azide. "And now I'm experience de ja vu for some reason." He shook his head, then rolled out of the way when the creature attempted to strike him a second time. He quickly regained his footing, then sprang up and slashed at the creature from behind. A glowing red gash stretched across the creature's trunk, then enveloped the creature in its entirety before it shattered completely. A small piece of wood was left behind, which was then quickly sent to the player's inventory.

ID: 10195

BD: 6 (Hit)

LD: 8 (Nothing)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 8 (Base+Rapier+Skills)

Azide HP: 25/26

Lumber Jack HP: 0/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (3 materials acquired, total).

Another of the wooden creatures rose from the ground, appearing just a few feet in front of him. It reached forward before it'd fully risen, but couldn't possibly land any hits on the player in its current immobile state. "I might not be a gaming master, but I'm no idiot," he thought. He circled the creature and approached it from behind, then slashed it. With the creature still rising out of the soil, it had no opportunity to defend itself or even turn around, forcing it to simply absorb the hit. "Don't mind me, I'm just trimming the excess here. Cutting away all the unnecessary bits and what not."

ID: 10202

BD: 8 (Hit)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 3 (Miss)

Azide HP: 26/26 (+1)

Lumber Jack: 8/16 (-8)

What followed was precisely what he'd been hoping to cut out. That is to say, a bunch of unnecessary stuff proceeded to happen, and nothing of substance was ultimately contributed. Both parties came at each other, swinging wildly away at each other, though neither found any success with landing a direct hit. Each swing was knocked away and deflected by each opponent, leaving both combatants unharmed once the dust had settled. Every swipe had been evaded, and each thrust had been parried. "God, I hate when it drags."

ID: 10203

BD: 2 (Miss)

MD: 2 (Miss)

Damage taken (Both) = 0

Lumber Jack HP: 8/16

The man made of lumber quickly lunged forward and jabbed at the player with the spines of its fingers. This took Azide by surprise, with the wooden spires managing to weave around his blade and finding their way into his chest. They collided directly over his heart, but only managed minimal penetration due to his armor. "Usually, I'd wonder how this leather armor is so protective, but in this case it's literally just protecting me against wood. So I think it's actually rather justified in this case." Azide swung his rapier upwards, severing the creature's arm from its body, then swung once more through the creature's torso. It shattered soon after, leaving behind two materials and a small sum of col. "Well would you look at that? Extra firewood. Oh boy."

ID: 10254

BD: 7 (Hit)

LD: 19 (Loot found)

Azide HP: 25/26 (-1)

*1 material acquired + 1 bonus material acquired (5 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (160 col acquired, total).

He glanced around, expecting to see another one of the wooden creatures suddenly rush him, but was relieved when this proved not to be the case. "Finally, a bit of peace and quiet. And yet, I'm all too aware that this can only last so long. Ah well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts." He walked over to the base of one of the massive trees and began searching around its perimeter for any useful flowers or mushrooms of anything of the sort, but came up empty handed. "There's not exactly a lack of plant life around here, and yet nothing of these are useful to me." He stood up, then began heading off to somewhere else. "Maybe another location will turn up something better."

ID: 10255

LD: 8 (Nothing found)

"And what do you know? Peace and tranquility? Over and shattered. And yet, it brings back the norm in a way, so it's never too disconcerting." He drew his blade from its sheath, then prepared himself for the creature's attack. It came running out from between the trees, moving with the same velociraptor-like gait as the others he'd observed. The creature lunged at him but missed by about fifty kilometers, hitting the ground after a complete failure targeting-wise. Azide walked over to the fallen creature and plunged his sword deep into its side. "Miserable little fellow, aren't you? Yes, yes you are."

ID: 10256

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 8 (Base+Rapier+Skills) + 1 (Crit +1) = 9

Azide HP: 26/26 (+1)

Azide ran at the walking tree and evaded its long and slender claws, managing avoid taking another swipe to the face. "All bark and no bite, this one." He mentally patted himself on the back, but wished somebody had been around to here it. "Damn it, I have to take some here sometime so I can use that one." He moved to the creature's flank, then slashed it the shreds, shattering the creature and bringing its swipes to an end. It left behind some crafting material in the form of roots, along with a bit of col. He sent away both of these things to his inventory, then carried on.

ID: 10278

BD: 10 (Crit +2)

LD: 11 (Loot found)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) + 2 (Crit +2) = 10

Lumber Jack HP: -3/16 (-10) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (6 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 acquired (240 col acquired, total).

"Oh boy, mushrooms," said Azide, spotting mushrooms. He picked up the mushrooms, holding the mushrooms in the palm of his hand. He held the mushrooms up to his eyes, inspecting the mushrooms carefully. "These mushrooms are definitely mushrooms alright. Mushrooms go great with mushroom soup. But I can also take these mushrooms and use them as reactants for my potions." He sent the mushrooms he'd harvested to his inventory. "Mushrooms."

ID: 10280

LD: 15 (Material found)

*1 material acquired (7 materials acquired, total).

"Oh my god, more mushrooms," said Azide, spotting more mushrooms. He picked up more of the mushrooms, then held the mushrooms in the same hands he'd held the other mushrooms with. In fact, he'd used these hands to hold many things, due to only having one set of hands. "When I get more money, I'll buy myself a set of spares," he thought. He held the new bunch of mushrooms up to his eyes, inspecting these new mushrooms carefully. "These new mushrooms are definitely more mushrooms alright. These mushrooms will go great with those other mushrooms, which goes great with mushroom soup. But I can also use these mushrooms and the other mushrooms as reactants for my potions." He sent the additional mushrooms he'd harvested to his inventory. "Hmm, hard to believe people actually use these things. Wonder if that'd work in this game..."

ID: 10281

LD: 18 (Loot found)

*1 material acquired (8 materials acquired, total).

Azide looked behind the base of one of the forest's many oversized trees, spying a log leaned against the back of it. He circled the trunk and approached the log, half expecting some frog monster to jump out at him. When that didn't seem to be the case, he came up to the log and found even more mushrooms on it. "Oh my god, even more mushrooms." He harvested them, figuring that they would go nicely with the other mushrooms he'd gathered, but would work even better as an ingredient in his alchemical concoctions. He sent his newly acquired crafting materials to his inventory, then exited the menu.

ID: 10282

LD: 15 (Material found)

*1 material acquired (9 materials acquired, total).

Another wooden humanoid came running out of the forest, putting an end to his little mushroom adventure. The creature came right up to him and took a swipe at his head, but missed when the player ducked underneath. Once it'd begun to engage him in close combat, the creature swiped at him again and again, missing each time as the player continued to elude its reach. Azide looked down at the branches that continued to assault him. "No offense, but I think it's about time for a trim." He slashed upwards with his rapier, cutting through its long and knotted claws.

ID: 10287

BD: 8 (Hit)

MD: 6 (-2 Accuracy) = 4 (Miss)

Azide stepped out of the way, though in retrospect, even the minimal actions he'd taken to evade his opponent had likely been unnecessary. "Come on, you are even trying anymore? I think it's time you go back to your roots," he thought. He continued to effortlessly dodge the creature's vain attempts to strike at him, before growing bored of the routine. He leapt to the creature's side, then slashed at the creature twice before stabbing it through the chest for good measure. It shattered, leaving behind some crafting wood along with a small sum of col, both of which were swiftly deposited to his inventory.

ID: 10373

BD: 3 (+3 Accuracy) = 6 (Hit)

LD: 15 (Loot found)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 1 (Base + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) = 8

*1 material acquired (10 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (320 col acquired, total).

After wrapping up with the wooden humanoid, a short lull followed in the giant forest. At least, there happened to be a bit of peace in the area that he happened to be transversing. During this short stretch of quiet, Azide happened upon a small cluster of herbs he'd recognized from a few books he'd read back at the lab. "Yes, I do remember these from the pictures and descriptions. True, they also happen to closely resemble those of a few poisonous herbs that the text had warned not to pick, but I'm willing to bet that they're the former rather than the latter." He picked the bunch from the ground, then added the crafting materials to his inventory and wiped off his hands.

ID: 10375

LD: 17 (Material found)

*1 material acquired (11 materials acquired, total).

Upon finding another one of the strange wooden creatures, Azide immediately rushed it and came charging at the creature full speed. His direct approach ended up costing him a health point, with the creature managing to successful swipe at him with its branch-like claws, though he deemed this side effect inconsequential. He carried on without even acknowledging his target's successful hit, then drove his sword deep into its wooden body, before drawing his sword back out with little issue. He watched as the creature's health bar plunged.

ID: 10377

BD: 9 (Hit)(Life Steal +1)

MD: 8 (Hit)

Damage taken (Azide) = 1 (Base) - 3 (Mitigation) = 1 (Min)

Damage taken (Lumber Jack) = 1 (Base) + 3 (Rapier) + 4 (Skills) + 1 (Crit +1) = 9

The creature lunged at him and planted its claws into the player's chest, managing to puncture his armored jacket, ableit not particularly deeply. "I'm sorry, friend, but your efforts were in vain." With the creature's claws still lodged in his chest, he swung his blade upwards, slicing cleanly through its outstretched arms. They fell for a moment before shattering mid-air. Before that could even happen, however, Azide had already slashed through the creature's body entirely. Shortly afterwards, that too, shattered. On the bright side, its death had made Azide a richer man. He'd gained 80 col along with a bit of crafting material for his troubles.

ID: 10380

LD: 13 (Loot found)

Lumber Jack HP: -1/16 (-8) [Dead]

*1 material acquired (12 materials acquired, total).

**HP (16) * 5 = 80 col acquired (400 col acquired, total).