[PP-F01] Too Close To The Raven

» Quest // Earning A Living «

• In the warm glow of the digital sunlight, amidst a bed of green, Inu lay silently in thought as her hand idly stroked the thick coat of the canine pup beside her; unable to focus, but unable to dream either. Her lilac eyes, reflective in what little light peeked out from between the swollen growth of the canopy above, open; yet, her gaze lingered far outside the realms in which her coded eyes could see.

Her mind drifted eagerly back to memories that didn’t seem to suit her any longer; things that felt forever distant, no matter how ‘not so long ago’ they were. Inu couldn’t seem to decide if that frightened or excited her, but the little one betted that it was sanely somewhere in between - fingers crossed, at least. But to think back upon such things didn’t go without that slight pinch of pain that seemed to squeeze a heart that no longer beat beneath her breasts. With an instinct still so common to the young one, she rose her hand toward her chest at the passing thought. Motioning as if, like the haunting of some phantom, she might feel it once more; but to no avail, and with such, a heavy sigh escaped her. SAO was supposed to be an outlet. A device to help uncomplicate her life, to free her! And all it’d done so far was build another cage that was somehow large enough to make her feel small, yet small enough to suffocate her.

For a moment she feared her NerveGear would spaz-out, only to immediately catch herself laughing at the idea of an ‘emotional overload’ on the digital device. Maybe, she thought then, that it was best to just shake the weight of it off as well as one could, and muster instead that mocking grin that could pass for enjoyment - or tolerance - at best. “You know, it’s surprisingly beautiful when everything’s quiet...†Inu finally shifted as she turned her head to face her brother, her coral kisser curling in the slightest of fashions. She hoped he’d think her strong for smiling, but Inu was wise enough to know he’d long seen her weaknesses. Still though, they had work to be done, and today was her day to begin training.

Somewhat reluctantly Inu pulled herself from the ground, stretching as if it was necessary as Ezo sprung back to life beside her, before she turned to face her elder brother fully. “Though I do suppose I’ve been putting things off for long enough…†The young one brushed back a loose strained of near-ivory hair as her cheeks flushed the softest shade of pink.

"Luckily you're the only one waiting on me, aye?"

It was the truth, but knowing such only made her feel all the more guilty. She bit her lower lip, her blush darkening as it slipped slowly from between her teeth.

tag Saix

His sharp eyes missed nothing, his brow furrowing ever so slightly as she lifted a hand as though seeking the comfort of her heart beating beneath her breast. He knew her well enough to guess the melancholy thoughts that were sure to bubble to the surface during such quiet moments of calm reflection. Yet he said nothing, merely shrugged deeper into the ragged red mantle that draped across his shoulders.

She sighed, no doubt her mind was heavy with their shared situation. What should have been a fun escape from the pressures of life had become it's own struggle of life and death in a virtual prison. How ironic then that he had once thought that these VRMMO's would provide him an escape from the confines of a life that felt tantamount to a prison. To think that in seeking to escape, he only provided another gilded cage for himself and his dear Inu. Inu had not taken their circumstances well. She had tried to hide her discomfort, projecting a show of strength for his benefit; but he knew her better than anyone, and he could see the strain. He could see the melancholy and sadness, the fear and the despair, in little ways and expressions when she thought he was not watching.

But he was always watching. Even now when she missed the comfort of the rhythm of her beating heart. She put on a brave smile, doing her best to show him she was ready, and he loved her all the more for the attempt. When she turned to face him fully, he pushed away from the tree he so casually leaned against, standing to his full height and smoothing his hair back with a quick flick of the wrist, before returning her smile. "If we must be trapped in a digital cage, at least we can say that it is appealing to the eye." he replied, trying to find the humor in their present situation. He had hoped she would find resolve soon, so that they might begin their journey, even if he had not tried to pressure her. Such decisions were usually difficult, and since the day Kayaba Akihiko had made his grand appearance in the square, she had seemed to retreat a little more into her own little world with each passing day.

It was no coincidence, she had initially taken to the VRMMO's to escape herself, creating an avatar that she felt she could comfortably express herself without having to actually be herself. The loss of her virtual avatar, and suddenly finding herself in a virtual copy of her own skin had been a blow to her confidence. No doubt Kayaba Akihiko had fully intended it as such, forcing the gravity of reality upon those trapped in his game. Still, the fact that she had decided she was willing to start moving forward in this Death Game filled him with a sense of relief.

"I'm just glad you have decided that you are ready to move forward." he replied with feeling as he stepped beside her. Were they in the real world she might have felt the warmth of his presence, and it was true that the system did it's best to replicate such sensations, yet he could not help but feel that the sensation was somehow colder, no more than an artificial facsimile. "Even if it is just one step at a time, we have to keep moving forward. Otherwise their would be no meaning to these circumstances." He adds, a far away look in his eyes, before he seems to focus and turn back to her.

• Inu seemed disgruntled with her brother’s response, though she did her best to shy away from his eyes as displeasure riddled the young one’s face. He wasn’t attempting to do harm with his words, but the truth of their situation, she feared, would never be an easy pill for her to swallow.

However, in admitting that, choosing to stay in the first town while others risked their lives to free them, like some had already decided upon, was naught an option she was too keen of either; though she no more looked down upon those who had. “I know you’re right, Saix… moving forward is all we have left in this world…†Her words were swollen as she turned to face the sun again, and closed her eyes, letting a single tear that she could no longer withhold, fall. “I’m just sorry it took so long for me to accept that. Father would be so disappointed in me… Luckily he always had you to make up for my shortcomings, no?†Quickly the young one whipped it from her cheek as she softly chuckled, a clearly staged laugh, and turned back to face Saix and Ezo.

The little wolf pup yipped, and yipped again, breaking the silence that might have otherwise hung over them for a few passing moments, before he brushed his small form up against her leg and she took him into her arms. Inu had a knack for coddling the little one a bit too excessively, or so it had been pointed out to her a time or two. But she could hardly resist, nurturing was in her nature; and it was hard to sacrifice what tender moments she could manage from the game.

“I believe the woman I’m looking for in town is named… Solv, right? A performance trainer…†Inu giggled again, her lilac eyes finding their way back to her brother. “Last thing you would have ever pinned me for, no?â€

Having been an outcast most of her life, and one who naturally shied away from the eyes of others, choosing a trait that could put her dead center of one’s attentions seemed far outside the norm and even further from her comfort zone. To some extent or another, it was… very much so. But she had always enjoyed singing, ever since she was a little girl. Inu imagined it was something she had inherited from her mother, given that for the most part, she was a near replica in most aspects of the woman. It was the exact reason she had so easily been placed on the back burner of her father’s good graces. But she hardly blamed him for his inability to cope with his wife’s death. He had, in fact, always needed to stay on his a-game in his chosen career path, and Inu could never be so selfish as to derail him in hopes for even just a single smile returned.

Shaking the thought from her mind, Inu took a step forward to lessen the distance between Saix and herself, so that she would stay in the safe-keeping of his shadow until they returned to the city limits, and could find this NPC ‘Solv’ she’d been hearing of. As they began the short trek back, Inu stayed rather silent at first. Introspective, contemplative. There was always so much on her mind -- a burden the young one had somehow carried with her from the real world.

“Saix… is it silly to be so scared?†She finally chimed, her eyes peeking up towards him as she coddled the little pup even closer. “I am going to have to fight something… aren’t I?†Her cheeks flushed as she realized how stupid her second question had been to her first, and almost instinctively she buried her face in the thick coat of Ezo.

tag Saix

Her displeasure was clear, even if she did her best to hide it from him as she shied her gaze away. "You know that is not what I meant Inu." He said, looking back towards the center of this town that was currently jam packed.

"Staying here will not be an option soon." He said, his voice grave. That much was true. Almost half the players stranded in The Death Game had chosen to stay in the Starting City, believing that the best course of action was to sit tight and wait for rescue. Surely someone would find a way to free them... It was madness to think that risking their lives out in the world was the best option... right? The Starting City was massive by most accounts, large enough to hold an entire Tokyo Ward, a huge sprawling affair that dominated most of the first floor. Yet... every day it seemed more and more like a packed slum.

The desperate crowded together, using the col allotted to them to pay for food each day, and trying to find a place to sleep. But that col would not last forever, and already desperation was beginning to set in. Word of the first 'Sleep PK' incidents were already spreading. With so many in one place, and inns so scarce, it had not taken long for some to realize that the opportunity for crime was present. If Col was the resource that would allow them to stay safe, then they must find ways to create more Col. For many that meant the profession system, but that would require going into the wilds for ingredients... That was hardly any safer than simply playing the game.

Then someone had figured out that a sleeping player's hand could be forced to accept a duel... There was no physical pain in this world, and killing a player in a duel would not turn one's curser yellow...

Suddenly, people who were willing to go to such lengths to preserve their lives 'safely' had a new means to continue their survival. Even the relative safety of the 'no danger' city zones seemed false. If one could not find safety in a room rented from an inn, and tried to sleep in the streets of the city itself, they were in danger. No, Saix mused, they could not afford to stick around much longer. They would need equipment to survive, and it was vital that they be able to strike out on their own before their col resources dipped too low to afford starter equipment. He is shaken from his dark thoughts by her voice.

"He would not be disappointed." He reassured her swiftly. "Waiting this long may have saved us in the long run." He adds, cocking his head. "Had we attempted to strike out with the others, we would have been sucked into the competition for xp and quests. We might have made he mistake of attempting to go to far, too quickly, without being able to gather enough xp, and met our end underleveled and undergeared in the dungeon like so many others." He points out, knowing she is familiar enough with MMO's to understand what he was implying. "We can take our time now, and properly ensure we are ready to move on without having to worry about everyone else killing monsters and waiting for respawn timers." He clarifies, always thinking of the means to press on.

He laughs when she questions whether or not he would have pegged her a performer, the levity somehow seeming to chase dark thoughts from his mind. "No, not really. I've heard you sing before, remember. Being able to do something you love in this world... I envy you." He said, with feeling as they began their short treck back to the City Limits, Inu falling into his shadow. She was silent for some time, but he did not press her. While he worried for her, for how withdrawn she was becoming, he could not bring himself to attempt to press her just yet. She broke the silence on her own before long, her arms pulling her little pup close. "It's no more silly to be scared than it is to be outraged, betrayed, or seized with despair. We did not ask to be trapped here, so it is not beyond reason to feel such." He says, doing his best to reassure her. It wasn't easy, realizing such things. He had been happy to stay here as long as they could, letting her remain innocent from such thoughts and realizations.

Alas, Kayaba Akihiko had stolen such innocence with his cursed Death Game.

He stops, turning to face her. His arms wrap around her, pulling her close for a long moment so that her small body might be crushed against his. He wants to comfort her, and yet... he will not, can not, lie to her in this. "Yes, we will have to fight... But you will not fight alone." He says fiercely, his cheek resting atop her head. "We will fight together, Ezo too." He said, doing his best to provide some small measure of comfort as he helped her accept their reality.

• Inu was caught somewhat off guard as she felt her brother’s arms encase her, but after the initial moment of surprise, she buried herself entirely in them. Ezo squeaked as he was forced between the two, and the young one laughed as she drew back just far enough to give the wolf pup some space, yet still never leaving Saix’s embrace. She smiled up at him, far more sincere than any of the other’s she’d shown thus far, as the pup yipped yet again and licked her face. The lightest of tears specked her reddened cheeks, but Inu brushed them away with the one free hand she could spare. “You’re right. I am lucky to have you with me. I really should count my blessings more often...†The pup, disgruntled, growled lowly at the remark. Inu laughed as she nuzzled noses with him, “You too, Ezo. You’ll both be my guardians… right?â€

Happy to oblige, Ezo yipped again, as his tail wagged happily.

The young one smiled wider as she looked up at Saix again before pushing him back playfully and turning to head all the deeper into town. Though this time the young one walked with a little added pep to each step, and a little swagger to the curves of her hips that merited her, though not ecstatic, contented mood. While not real, Inu pretended she could still feel the simulated warmth of her brother’s embrace even after she’d stepped away; it was there she was most comfortable, and it was there she felt the most safe. If there was any way for the young one’s sanity to survive this game, Inu figured, it’d be never forgetting the peace that place brought her. Here, or in the world outside this realm.

“Do you know where to find Solv, Saix? This first floor city is so huge, I don’t even know where to begin looking!†Inu peeked back at him over her shoulder momentarily, before nuzzling Ezo and planting a kiss on his head. Saix, while not far above her in this game, had still taken the initiative to actually venture the first while they’d been stuck, all the while Inu had hidden quite pathetically away in the room they shared, coping as best she could with all that had happened, with the occasional venture at her brother’s side just so she didn’t go stir crazy.

As her lilac eyes concentrated on the passerby’s, NPC or not, she spoke again. “From what I’ve heard, she’s no easy trainer… but what do you think could be so hard about learning the performer skills? I know it’s not just singing...†She pouted slightly, hugging Ezo tighter as her eyes darted to the ground. “But still…â€

tag Saix

The embrace lasted several seconds, several seconds where even this strange facsimile of a world seemed real. But all too quickly it was broken, as she pushed away, her tiny pup cradled in her arms. How Saix longed to push her doubts away further, but he only followed after her, the short cape like mantle rustling softly in the digital wind. He had been the more adventurous of the two thus far, even going into the hunting fields once or twice with the starter sword in hand to face down the wandering boars.

Saix was never one to remain idle. Even as they had holed up in their rented room, he had been busy collecting what little scraps of information he could. Sword Skills seemed to be the key to surviving this Death Game, and attempting to wade into battle blindly swinging a sword was a swift path to an shameful end. So Saix had dug up everything he could from the information brokers on how these skills, as well as the extra skills, functioned. When he ventured out alone, he would test his gathered information against the low level monsters that surrounded the starting city.

It was something that he would never have been able to do had they rushed out into the field on launch day. So many players had descended upon the hunting fields, killing available monsters in a mad dash for Xp. Many died simply because they had no knowledge of how to engage the system's assist mode and use the available Sword Skills. Saix had done his best to avoid making the same mistake, carefully researching how the different players that had blazed ahead on the leveling curve had learned to play the game, then practiced these methods in a safe manner against the beasts in the field. He had even explained some of these methods to Inu, if only in an attempt to gently remind her they could not afford to stay in the inn forever.

When she made her inquiry Saix flexed his right hand, bringing up his menu and selected the map. "Most Basic Skill NPC's will be located near the central plaza for convenience sake, so that new players can find them easily." He tagged the plaza on his map, sharing the information to party, so that she would be able to bring it up on her map as well. "As for what you would be learning... well... It is definitely more than just singing." He added, an enigmatic smile on his face that suggested he knew more than he was letting on. In truth he had researched a little into each of the various profession skills, and had an idea of some of the effects that the Performer Profession would allow.

"But I wouldn't dream of spoiling the surprise, it would ruin the fun of the experience. This is a game after all, so we should try to have a little fun." He ruffled her hair as he spoke, doing his best to put her at ease.

• A giggle escaped the young one as Saix ruffled her hair; and as she shook what she could back into place and continued forward, Inu stuck her tongue out at him teasingly. Ezo barked, a clear sign he enjoyed the sound of little ethereal one’s laugh, and internally, Inu swore then that she would have to try and laugh more often. Kissing the little pups head she lifted her free hand to dial into her menu screen, then pulling up the map, eyed the places Saix had marked inquisitively.

“What makes you think I’m not having any fun?â€

The young one smiled back at him before turning back to her map; closing it down, she spoke again. “I really have been enjoying myself, all this madness aside. I’ve got to spend more time with you… haven’t I?†She paused momentarily as a sigh escaped her, “And perhaps I should feel a little bad about saying, or even thinking, this… but so long as I believe that I’ll wake up from this, and that I’ll see him again… isn’t it nice to have a break from the real world? From Father?†Inu bit her lower lip, her little canines tugging at the plump pink digital flesh as she blushed again, quickening her pace as she neared where Saix had marked on the map.

As it finally came into Inu hurried once again, passing by the front face of every building until she found the one that she knew Solv would be in. A bell chimed as she opened the door, those lilac eyes of hers scanning across the bright colors of room. As Saix stepped next to her, Inu slipped her hand tightly into his own. Her eyes meeting with his just long enough to convey her slight apprehension, if that was not already apparent in the way she squeezed his hand when she’d heard someone say ‘Hello’.

tag Saix

Her laugh rang clear, like a bell, and was infectious enough that it was impossible not to break out into a smile himself. She seemed so full of life today, her little pup in her arms as she busied herself with this newest task at hand. It was a very different change from the way she had begun to withdraw into herself after Kayaba Akihiko had made his declaration in the City Square. In many ways he imagined that Ezo was serving as a second life line. The little monster pup that she had fed in the wild, causing the pup to become her familiar, had provided yet another form of stability in her life. He could see it in the joyous way she clutched the creature to her breast, and the kisses she laid upon it's head.

He had to smother the ingrained reaction to defend their father when she spoke of their would be vacation. He owed the man nothing, and even if he did his best to play the role of perfect son, he was not about to defend the man to Inu, not now in this place where they were beyond the overbearing grasp of the man. "Would that I could have found a safer place for such a break." he exclaimed softly. Her safety was always his most important thought. He had labored with the decision to go into the wilds of the game for days, as it would mean putting her in danger. Yet he could not sit idle with the others. Their only chance for survival would come in this game being cleared, and their money would never last that long. They would soon have to resort to sleeping on the streets, where the duel system could be used to kill and loot unsuspecting players.

No, he had to trust that he could keep her safe in the battlefields, so that they would be able to escape this Death Game together.

The bell ringing as they entered the homely building snapped him from his dark thoughts, and for a moment his eyes met those of his sister, as her hand tightened on his own. Reassuringly, he gave her hand a squeeze, as he smiled in an attempt to soothe her. She was safe, because he would not let harm come to her. That was the belief that had persisted throughout their childhood, and he hoped it would persist here as well. He would die before he allowed harm to befall her. As if on a schedule, a striking woman in white stepped from inside the building, her dark hair accentuating porcelain smooth skin the color of ivory, her lips painted crimson. "Hello players, I am Solv, would you be interested in learning of the Performer Profession?" she asked in a sing song voice that seemed as clear as a ringing bell.

• Feeling Saix’s hand squeeze back seemed to give Inu just enough confidence to let go and step forward toward the NPC, with only a soft smile in thanks before she turned to face Solv fully. It was hard to imagine what she would be doing without him here, or what she would do if she ever lost him. It was easy to figure that without picking up any skills to help her earn her stay, she’d be dead quickly; as odd as it was, this seemed almost somewhat reinvigorating as to what she was here to train -- and why she should continue on as far beyond floor one as she could. “Yes, Solv. I am, very much so, interested.†Inu’s smile widened, “Where do we begin?†The young one stole a glance back at her brother, before turning back toward her soon-to-be trainer.

tag Saix

Solv flashed a brilliant smile, before moving forward with a grace that would not have been out of place on a Ballerina. "Wonderful dear, the performer profession can be used in many ways. A performer can provide comfort and entertainment for other players, use their acrobatic skills to remain nimble and fleet footed when in danger, and can even use their voice to confuse enemy monsters in combat. Truly, it is a versatile and worthwhile profession." She said, her dazzling smile never fading. As she finished speaking, she gave a wave of her hand, a small white menu popping up before Inu with a quest. "Outside the gates you will find a small meadow, in the South of this meadow are three great trees. In each tree nests a different bird, Raven, Bluejay, and Cardinal. Retrieve a feather from each nest, using the skills of a performer as best you can. A final clue before you leave, to help with completion's timely ease. Not all battles need be won with force, when your way is barred do not forget your voice." She responded, quite cryptically.

• It had only taken them about an hour to find the tree, and that was mostly for the amount of low-leveled beasts they had to fight on the way (or maybe even the few times Inu made Saix stop because the scenery was just too beautiful!). She imagined he was pretty over her taking her time to complete this quest, yet, Inu would easily defend herself if he’d said anything that this particular one had no time limit to it.

Besides, she was sure it’d be easy to overcome, or at least the young one knew she wouldn’t give up until it was… so what harm was there in enjoying her time? Saix had been the first one to say they should enjoy the game as it was meant to be enjoyed! Inu imagined this wasn’t entirely what he meant, but she cared little for that fact. It wasn’t often that the little one ever even got outside the first town gates, and even less that she snuck outside of them for her own benefit.

Ezo ran wildly by her side, attempting to keep up as she darted the last bit to the tree, and began to bark happily as Inu circled it for the first time. “It’s much larger than I imagined…†She whined as she finally came back into view on the opposing side of the huge trunk. Her little coral lips pouted as her lilac eyes met with her brother’s own. “And the first branch is totally out of my reach!†Inu sighed as if out of a breath she no longer carried, and slumped against the side of the tree. Ezo scurried over to her lap, standing up against her with his fore-paws pressed to her chest as he kissed her sullen face, quickly drawing a laugh out of her as she playfully fought the little pup off. When she’d finally sat up fully once again she smiled. “Okay, okay. No giving up.â€

The young one stood again as her brother reached her side, and Inu leaned into him; rolling her head back against his shoulder as she gazed up into the tall tree, that sang lively from the birds she need, but could not reach.. “How do you think I’ll manage?†She whispered, “The closest branch to the ground is on the other side, and it’s probably double my size above me...†A lightbulb seemed to ignite in her mind before she reached down and grabbed her brothers hand, tugging him to the other side and pointed.

“Do you think you’re strong enough that you can lift me? Perhaps even give me a boost?†Inu’s smile widened, her little canines peeking through as she blushed softly. “Oh please, please, please!†There was something comforting in how familiar this felt, given that the had scaled a tree more than a handful of times in the real world, and every time he’d had to lift her.

Saix had spent enough time outside the Town Gates that none of these low level beasts would present much of a problem. He had played the position of forward in their random encounters, using his shield to deftly block what attacks they made, and calling advice and tactics to his sister so that she might deal the damage and get Xp for the kills so that she might level up. Inu might have been surprised, but even the sightseeing didn't really bother Saix, he was simply happy to see her taking interest in getting out. He wanted to keep her safe, and would never want to intentionally keep her locked away, but it was no life at all simply staying pinned up in the over crowded Starting City. At least this way he could be along with her to do his best to keep her safe, even if it meant going out into the wilds where monsters waited.

And he would keep her safe. He had leveled at a frantic pace to ensure that he would be ready to protect her from any danger.

So when she slumped dejectedly against the tree upon seeing how tall it was, he did his best to cheer her up. Giving a chuckle as he squatted down beside her, sitting on his calves as he placed a hand on her head affectionately. "It appears as though this quest is a little prejudiced towards the uh... vertically challenged..." he said, indirectly referencing her stature which was definitely on the petite side. Ezo was quick to do his best to cheer up his tamer as well, and Inu's spirits seemed to swiftly improve between their efforts. She seized his hand and implored him to help her climb, inquiring as to whether or not he might be able to give her a boost. He made an effort to harumph and seem annoyed, before he smiled and nodded his agreement. "I would have done so even if you had not asked me." he teased her, before looking up at the tree, and back to her. "Lets see... how can we best do this?" he mused.

• Inu squealed in excitement as her brother agreed to give her a boost, and threw her arms around his shoulders as she pulled herself to her tippy toes just to plant a small 'thank you' kiss on his cheek. "You're the best, I swear!" Her smile widened as she pulled back, but it faded slowly as her blush darkened, until she pulled away entirely and turned her back toward Saix altogether; Inu had clearly embarrassed herself, though she imagined Saix wouldn't think much of it.

Haven't we always been like this? She thought. Mayhaps her sneaking into his bed had been stopped some time ago by their father, but these small tokens of affection had never really been restricted... mostly because she was always careful not to seem too tender or fragile in her father's presence... even if he really didn't notice her at all. A sigh escaped the young one as her lilac eyes peered back into the tree, searching and inspecting it in a quiet pause as the birds chimed readily above; all the while her mind wondering if her father would ever be proud of her attempting to be strong now, though she figured just the same that his first remark would be as to how Saix was right by her side helping her. With a small huff she turned back to face Saix, her hands curling into a ball that she held nervously to her chest. "Well... maybe... you can boost me up with your hands? Or, uhm... maybe... on your shoulders?"

The young one bit her lip as her eyes fell to her feet below, and one hand managed to slip away from the other, only to tuck a blonde curl behind her ear.

Saix simply smiled at her show of gratitude, wishing for a moment that they were outside this game, where he would have really felt the warmth of her lips against his cheek, not this digital facsimile. They had always been close, especially after Inu's mother had passed. With father so busy, they really had found themselves in a position where they had no one else but each other. As she blushed, he did his best to not aggravate her embarrassment and turned his focus to the tree limb. "I think I should be able to give you a boost pretty easily. I've been training my strength skill these past few levels, and you aren't wearing any armor, so let me see if I can lift you up. Then you can stand on my shoulders, and try to reach the branch." He exclaimed, turning to face her with an easy smile that seemed to suggest that this task was going to be no trouble at all.

• "Are you sure?" She quietly questioned back; those lilac eyes of hers scanning their surroundings one last time to make sure they were alone, out of fear she'd embarrass herself somehow, before finally finding their way back to her brother's gaze, and smiling. "So you'll just lift me?" She stepped closer to him, her cheeks darkening as she slipped her arms around his neck and drew her face near to his. Peeking up she blinked a few times, "Now put my foot in your hand, right? Just like when we were kids?" Her nerves were a rough pill to swallow, but did; though her body still trembled lightly in his arms.

"Sure, it shouldn't be that hard." He responded with a broad grin, as he bent down and cupped both hands before him, lacing his fingers to ensure a good grip. "Just step here, and when I stand step up to my shoulders. Just like when we were kids climbing the big tree in the back yard." He says, upbeat as always. He didn't think that the tree was high enough to do much in the way of fall damage, but that didn't change the fact he would be concerned in the event she fell. In many ways, his cheerful demeanor was as much for his sake as it was hers. Her arms tremble around his body, and he imagines that her heart is fluttering like a bird.

• "You better not let me slip!" She giggled, knowing full well that he wouldn't as she did as she was told. Slipping her foot into the step he'd formed with his hands, then stepping up onto his shoulders, where she held her balance as well as she could, all the while her little arms reached out above her.

Inu struggled for a moment, whimpering slightly at the struggle of her having to hold her skirt down while one little arm reached out for the branch above. Her face was darkening, nervous to focus more on the branch then her skirt, yet knowing full well she'd have to stop if she wanted up at all. Finally taking a deep breath, Inu whimpered down at Saix. "Also... you better not look up! I'll kick you butt, I swear I will!" Another breath, and she let go of her skirt which quickly was caught in the wind, and hopped up.

By the time she had crawled securily up on the first branch her cheeks were bright pink, and she nervously peeked back down at her brother. "You didn't see anything... did you?" She bit her lip, and while she held her silence in wait for a reply, her lilac eyes moved up to peer as far as she could up into the tree.

As she stepped up onto his shoulders, he placed his hands on her ankles to steady her, and slowly stood up from his crouched position, taking great care not to move too quickly and have her lose her balance. "Oh? Afraid you will slip? I thought it would be much worse if I were to drop you." He teased, as she seemed to be struggling. He risked a glance upwards to see what the problem was, not pausing to think about the breezy skirt she was wearing. Unfortunately, he looked up right as she had released her skirt, with a rather ineffectual threat at that. He caught an eye full of digital panties, and quickly looked down. When she had climbed her way into the tree, and called down to him he brushed off the accidental glimpse and shrugged. "Maybe I did, and maybe I didn't, who knows?" He teased.

• Inu's head jerked around as she glared down at him, her cheeks a rosy hue. She'd pinch him, or something, later for that remark. But isn't this how he always treated her? So taunting and teasing, she never really was able to grasp what he really meant, or if he was just playing with her, as he so often did. However, it wasn't as if she didn't adore the attention. Saix was the only one who ever gave her any, so she milked it when she can.

Weirdly enough though the only thought that pestered her most was, I wonder if he liked it... Embarrassed it had even crossed her mind, Inu shook her head, attempting to rid herself of the crossing thought. This unbalanced the young one a little and she almost slipped - luckily she'd caught hold of a higher up branch quick enough to keep herself from falling. Taking a deep breath as she pulled herself up to the next branch, Inu finally looked back down toward Saix.

"What were the three birds again?" She wondered, looking up into the tree. It sounded like there were a million birds that inhabited it... it would definitely be a challenge to place one's call above another.

Saix stepped forward quickly, ready to catch her if she did slip at a moment's notice. But she was able to regain her footing, and he slowly relaxed a bit with a slow release of a breath he had involuntarily held thinking she might fall. For a moment he doesn't even comprehend her question, still in 'protective mode' before he shakes his head and does his best to appear nonchalant, so she will not know how worried he had really been. "Oh, uh... Raven, Bluejay, and Cardinal." he says, peering up into the tree. The birds appear to be separated, sort of. Most of the Ravens being to the far left, the Bluejays in the center, and the bright Cardinals to the far right. Finally, he can not hold back his worry any longer, and he blurts out "Just be careful, I will be right here to catch you if you slip." He says, trying to reassure her as much as possible.