(OP-F1) Hopeless Wanderers

After arriving at the Inn, Majyenta and I parted ways...for now. I began walking through the streets of the city, looking for something interesting!

A singer, an artist, any night life that would bring about some feeling of humanity in me.

Walking on and on the streets seem strangely empty, but i kept feeling as if i was being followed.

The pitter patter of footsteps echoing down an alley every now and then. Through life I've learned two things for sure: 1. people follow with a purpose. and 2. that purpose Isn't always positive.

I turned around to the sound to try to spot my apparent night stalker.

"hmph...nothing" i muttered to myself.

"Are you sure?" a mysterious whisper uttered.

I looked around frantically, barely catching the glimpse of a shadow in an alleyway.

I sprinted to the alley, following the shadow wherever i could go. A soft laughter, almost a giggle.

After rounding a corner, I find myself at a dead end!

"Where the hell did it go?" i asked myself as i wandered closer to the wall.

"There's no way they could just walk through walls....could they?"

I place my hand on the wall only to have it phase straight through!

I stumble in to find a room mobbed by small kids! These guys and girls couldn't have been above the age of 12!

The kids began to gasp and scatter at the sight of me, they were clearly scared and cautious of older players.

"Is there a leader among you? Someone that i can talk to?" I shouted

"Well I'm not much of a leader! But Im not afraid of you either!" a young voice from the crowds boomed.

A young man looking about 13 or 14 runs up to me.

"I'm Grevas! And this my tall intruder is Vagrants Hollow! A bit of a glitch in the game, you see this is technically a tunnel under the city, but this entrance is a false wall!

"A glitch? I wonder how many of these there are in SAO?" I thought to myself.

All of SAO's forgotten and orphaned kids end up here at some point, looking for food or col to keep them going." Grevas explained 

Damn...so many children left behind in the chaotic scramble to make sense of our situation...

Sadly, I've seen this kind of thing before...children piling up on each other, fighting and scraping for life.

"Honestly, id prefer that you not tell people about this place, we've learned that PK protection doesn't work down here.....the hard way..." Grevas explains

"Don't worry my friend, i wont tell a soul, trust me I've been in this exact situation...I only wish i could help in some significant way"

"Well if I were you, I'd just make sure people knew that there are some even in this game that are way worse off than them...thats all i ask" Grevas implored.

"Wise kid...wiser than I was at that age" I thought to myself.

"Well ill keep that in mind" I reassured Grivas. "pats Grivas on his head"

"Good luck kid" I smiled.

As i exited the glitch I found myself reflecting more and more on my past...about those so called "golden years of childhood". Those kids in Vagrants Hollow have no one to care for them....Why?

Because everyone either cant or wont do anything about it....its not fair but that's life, virtual or not.

I wander the city further, the street lamps light my way but i still feel like I'm lost in this massive place

Majyenta was maybe a glimpse of what I could call a friend in here...maybe with more like him we can start to help kids and even older people like Grevas and the kids of Vagrants Hollow

I see a large clump of light a few blocks down the road. A festival? A market? 

I hurried down the street to find a collection of what appeared to be NPCs. Artists, crafters, dancers lined the streets. It made me feel...happy somehow...

I listened to a singer on the corner...she was gorgeous...wearing a blue silk dress singing an oddly familiar tune....

"Hold me fast, Hold me fast cause I'm a hopeless wanderer....And i will learn to love the skies I'm under" her voice softly sang as i sat down and listened

I nearly cried at the sound of her voice, a voice singing lyrics reminding me of all the lives forgotten, all the lives that will be left behind in the shadows of history.

When she finished her song, she bowed shyly. I blushed a bright red when I realized I was the only one to stop and hear her song.

"Thank you my lady" I spoke as i leaned in to give her a few col for her talent.

"No, thank you kind sir, you stopped and listened when no one else would, and that's payment enough for me :)" she said.

She smiled at me and dissappeared into the crowd..."Was that even an NPC? What am I saying, of course it is!....isn't it?!" I thought to myself.

Its funny to think that even in this messed up game, there are still some things that can make us feel as human as ever. Was this intended? Did the Dev really want to make us feel at home in this world? Well if he did, he sure hit the nail on the head with the number of suffering people.

I wandered past the market to find a fountain...This is where I met Majyenta...it seems so quiet now. No more crying kids, shouting players panicking about not being able to log out.

The fountain was somehow lit from inside itself...its oddly metaphoric...a thing of beauty that requires nothing other than itself to be...beautiful....

Im starting to really feel..tired...not just tired physically (not that I'm not still feeling some soreness from todays bout with the boar), but mentally. Iv'e only been here one day and i can already feel like I'm slipping back into my old life.

I thought of one memory in particular. I thought of the day that i realized that some solutions...have violent answers.

An impoverished city, decaying in ruins. Rapists, murderers, thieves...all of them running rampant in the streets. It made me sick to my stomach to watch those Ba****** hurt innocent people while I could do nothing. I was weak, spineless, and brash. I got my ass handed to me more than once...and my body has the scars to prove it. 

Crime bosses are, in my opinion, the worst of the worst. They feed off of suffering by deliberately causing more suffering just to satisfy their lust for power and greed. This man in red...he's a crime boss...the worst of the worst.

I slam my fist into a near by wall in the square.

I take my rapier and scribe into a near by wall: TRUE HEARTS REVEAL TRUE EVIL

A semblance of a family motto...a family of liars..beggars...and some murderers....

Let this phrase ring true to whoever reads it! Let them know that where there is truth and hope, we can, we will reveal the true evils!

DEATH TO THE MAN IN RED! LET FREEDOM RING FOR ALL PLAYERS OF SAO!!!!

I aimlessly wandered the city til i found a familiar place..the Inn that I left Maj at...Full circle....

I had a thought of paying for a room for the night, but i feel that wouldn't be fair to those kids in Vagrant Hollow...

I found a quiet alley, curled up, and rested, knowing that tomorrow was a new day full of hope.

After Xanatos headed back down the road I went into the inn. 

I'm guess I expected this place to be full, completed packed. But, there were a few players in a booth off in the corner, and NPC waitresses, and the bartender.

I sit down at a table and pull out a water from my inventory. A waitress comes up and asks if I would want anything, 'No thanks' I say and she moves on. 

More swishing my cup then drinking, I glance around to see if there was anyone that I missed walking in.

After that ordeal in the fields today, it is good to sit and relax. As the NPC's move about and players come in and travel to tables to eat and drink.

People are still scared... someone is crying in here somewhere. But that man over there... he doesn't seem scared at all, What is he looking for? 

I walk up to the man sitting at the table, calmly drinking his water, and introduce myself...

"hello friend, it seems as though all of the brave ones such as yourself have gone to the front lines... what brings you to the inn in the city?"

"Heh bravery? Now where do you get that?"

I had seen this girl just walk in, do I just give off an air of friendliness or something? This is the second stranger to just start a conversation with me

'Oh well, I think, ' nothing really wrong with that.'

"Hi there, I just got back from the fields after we tested this twisted games combat system."

"Being as you are not crying in a corner or worrying about the game I assume you are brave, you don't seem frightened. Its like you are focused on something, a goal

maybe? but if it is in the game or the real world I cannot tell. Is that why you aren't out with the others? Because you have something else to strive for?"

"How did your first battle go? Mine was interesting... Those boars hit a lot harder than I thought, heh, anyways, may I sit?"

I pause before answering, thinking 'A goal...it's as if she knows..."

"Yes," I finally get out, "please do. It went alright, every time the boar was able to land a strike, it was on the guy I was with."

"So, made it out full health, and 15 col richer"    "Also this," I pull out my common mat, "not sure what to do with this yet."