SP - F2 Fists of Stone <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> (Completed)

Calrex gave a sigh as he appeared in the streets of Urbus, the main settlement on the second floor of Aincrad. As he opened his eyes they took in the familiar surroundings of the medieval city, players moving back and froth in between its streets. Some of the players, due to their equipment, seemed to blend in more into the setting than others, to the point that he occasionally had trouble differentiating a player from an NPC.

"I feel like I've been coming to this floor more and more over the past days. I wonder if I should ask Teayre about possibly moving our room from the Hogsback to a place up here..."

He gave a quick stretch as he swiped down, pulling down his menu, reviewing the information he had obtained from the broker.

"Alright, it looks like the name of this quest is Breaking the Unbreakable...sounds like something you would hear in a martial arts movie or something. Well, supposedly part of the reward is that you become more skilled in unarmed combat. Might come in handy if my weapon were to be broken or disarmed for some reason. Besides..."

He gave a quick rotation as he jumped, performing a quick tornado kick before landing back on his feet, "I might have been getting a little tired of using my sword."

With that he headed towards the west gate out of the city, heading towards the mountains.

After exiting the west gate Calrex put himself on guard as he drew his sword. Obviously outside of the walls of Urbus is where the monsters spawned, so Calrex had to be careful about avoiding attention if he could afford it. There were a few times he needed to do a quick roll behind cover in order to avoid falling into the engagement range of the wolves and such that seemed to litter the pathways.

"Alright, so I'm supposed to be looking for some kind of rock. I guess it could be either unassuming or really exotic in appearance, so I'll need to probably check for both if I am able."

He popped out from behind a bush as he continued his search, looking left and right. "Alright, some kind of rock...some kind of rock..."

"I guess at the least it's a good thing Teayre and I didn't need to use those two potions I purchased from the Catfish Sundries. Now I have them on me in case things go south."

As he continued to move down the path it was taking him further and further up a particular mountain. As he got further up the mountain the trees and grass seemed to thin and grow more sparse. Of course there were a couple of trees occasionally that seemed to grow out of the strangest places on the mountainside, but save that the scenery was craggy and rocky beyond belief.

"Thank goodness there doesn't seem to be difficult terrain for this kind of environment..."

Eventually the path ended as Calrex seemed to reach an alcove in the mountain. The peak itself seemed to be unreachable, so Calrex figured to follow the path inside, hopefully finding what he was looking for. He sheathed his sword as he went inside to make sure he didn't accidentally knock it against the rock faces and create a resounding ring that might attract enemies. The alcove was fairly large, almost as if the peaks of the mountain were enclosing it. However there was more than enough light for him see. As he continued to press forward he eventually found himself in the supposed center of the area.

Calrex felt his sense go on alert as he reached for his sword, but as he tried to draw it he looked back in surprise. The sword felt locked into place on the sheath, and he couldn't extract it. He gave a few more tugs to confirm his suspicions before slowly releasing the handle. As he looked forward a pop up window appeared in front of him.

"No weapons permitted in this area. Please exit should you wish to draw it."

"A no weapons area?"

Calrex gave a quick 360 look around the area. The feel of the area definitely wasn't a safe zone, so there was no reason that weapons wouldn't be permitted unless.

"The martial arts skill...so this area must be where the quest takes place. Which means..."

He lowered his gaze as he continued to look around. Eventually his eyes fell upon a small rock formation to the left of the center. As he approached it he continued to observe its appearance. The formation definitely blended into the area, but if one were to look from the center of the area it seemed to stand out from the walls of the alcove.

"I guess this is it..."

Calrex approached the rock formation, gently placing a hand on it to get a feel for the stone. It seemed smooth, save the points and smoothed edges. Eventually he could a strange spot on the rock, one that seemed to cave slightly as he applied slight pressure to it.

"Hm..."

He brought his right hand into a fist, pulling it back. He gave a calming breath as he thrust it forward, punching the soft spot of rock. The area didn't seem to cave, but from the resounding impact something seemed to happen. Calrex leapt back as he watched the formation begin to shift and change. The rocks moved into alignment as it began to form arms, legs, a torso, and a head.

"Great a golem...and I can't wield my sword..."

ID: 11756 

Battle Dice: 8

Mob Dice: 6 (Evasion +1) = 5

Immediately upon its creation the golem gave a resounding roar as it set its eyes on Calrex. Even for its size the golem moved fairly quickly, quickly bringing its leg back for a kick. Calrex braced himself as he saw the golem's leg draw back, and as he saw it snap forward he leapt and rolled to the side, coming out in a kneeling position as he looked at the golem.

"Compared to other games this golem seems to be of medium size. Still, that's not exactly good, because even medium sized ones were fairly formidable against players WITH weapons..."

He hopped to his feet and rushed forward, leaping upwards. As he neared the golem's chest he threw his foot forward, kicking the golem in center of its torso. He kicked off, flipping backwards as he landed on his feet, sliding a few feet back.

"Geez I'm glad that the pain is dampened in this game. I just full on kicked a piece of rock and it barely hurt!"

Calrex got to his feet, giving a calming breath as he spread his stance. His right fist was in front at about hip height while his left hand was open and close to his face.

"Alright...show me what you've got..."

HP List

Calrex: 17/17

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 19/20

ID: 11763

Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +1) =1

Calrex gave a quick exhale as he quickly dropped his body, rushing forward towards the golem. As he moved in the golem attempted to him him twice with a one-two punch, but each attack flew clear of the mark, impacting the ground behind him. As Calrex neared the golem he quickly weaved underneath by going between its legs, coming out on the other side. As he cleared he jumped up, delivering a strong punch to the back of the golem before skipping a few steps back, gaining back the distance he had previously.

"Thank goodness you are slow. It seems like things are going well so far. I haven't been able to confirm a weak point at the moment though. All the spots I've been impacting have all been solid. Hmm..."

He bean to quick scan his memory, going back to the spot he hit that seemed to activate the golem.

"I wonder if that's a weak point. I'll need to check and see if it still exists somewhere on its body."

The golem gave another deafening roar as it turned to face Calrex, shaking as if in fury. Its fists clenched tight enough that one could hear the rocks shifting and scraping against each other in order to fall into place.

HP List

Calrex: 17/17

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 18/20

ID: 11767

Battle Dice: 6

Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +1) = 8 (+1 Damage)

The battle continued to rage on as Calrex went toe-to-toe with the golem. He had been doing a good job of avoiding its strikes so far, ducking, weaving, and diving around the attacks.

"Things seem to be going well so far. If I keep this up..."

His concentration broke as one of the two impact craters in the ground from the golem's previous attack attempt throw off his footing. As he felt himself falling he saw the golem's fist come forward, slamming into him like an uppercut, the fist as big as half of his body.

"Puh!"

As the strike made contact the golem drove its fist forward, hurling Calrex into the the stone wall behind him. Calrex was pinned against the wall by force before he detached from it, shards of rock falling off of him as he removed himself, "Ouch..."

"I'll need to be careful of those deformations in the ground. They're still fairly smooth and could throw off my traction."

As the golem charged at him for another strike Calrex quickly crouched low, leaping upwards. The golem's fist drove into the wall while Calrex landed on its extended arm, rushing up it and delivering a quick punch to its face before leaping off, rolling and turning to face the golem as it extracted its fist from the wall.

"Guess it's good I've got those potions. If I keep taking hits like that things are not going to turn out in my favor..."

HP List

Calrex: 14/17

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 17/20

ID: 11768

Battle Dice: 4

Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +1) = 8 (+1 Damage)

Calrex doged a few more of the wide swinging hits that the golem threw at him, rolling underneath a sweeping kick that went really low to the ground. As he watched the kick come around he saw the golem's back become exposed from the force of the momentum, "Now!"

He rushed forward, his fist drawn back as he was ready to leap up and strike his back. Unfortunately right as he leapt up he saw the golem's face as it follow its rotation around, its fist whipping around towards him as well. He barely had time to cross his arms as the oversized fist crashed into him, slamming him into the wall once again. He was frozen in place for a few second once again, peeling off of the wall as he went down on one knee. He coughed a few times after landing, catching his breath.

"D-Dammit, it got another good hit on me. This is not going well so far."

He swiped down his inventory, looking at the inventory, seeing the three potions he had.

"Going from the damage its dealt me so far it might be best to heal myself before continuing the attack. I wasn't expecting to get so much damage so soon..."

HP List

Calrex: 11/17

Enemies:

Calrex took a few deep breaths as he leapt back a good distance. The golem was really focused on trying to get at him, so he figured that even if he built up a few feet between them the golem would easily prepare to charge and rush at him.

"Hopefully this strategy works. If it's anything like what happened a few strikes ago it might work again."

The golem turned to face him as it lowered its stance, going into a mad dash at Calrex. As it did Calrex took a few more breaths to focus his senses. "Come on...make this count..."

As Calrex fell into striking range of the golem he immediately leapt to the side. The golem, not expecting the dodge, rushed headfirst into the wall at full force. The impact was strong enough that it actually broke into multiple pieces, falling to the floor.

Calrex immediately ran to the other side of the alcove, turning to face the golem's part. A good thing he did. The golem was already reforming back.

Calrex flipped through his inventory, retrieving a potion from it. He quickly grabbed it and placed it to his lips, tilting his head back slightly as he drunk it down. He gave a quick gasp of relief as he felt its effects kicking in. He got to his feet, ready to fight once again. At the same time the golem completed its restoration, letting out a roar.

HP List

Calrex: 16/17 (Healed 5 from potion)

Enemies:

ID: 11769

Battle Dice: 7

Mob Dice: 5 (Evasion +1) = 4

The golem roared as it charged at Calrex once again, this time not going into the mad dash it did before. Calrex went into his fighting stance as the golem moved closer to him, "Stay focused, coiled...at the ready..."

As the golem moved into just out of striking range it hopped, bringing both of its arms back, preparing to hammerfist the ground. As its fist came down Calrex rolled to the side, immediately pouncing upwards as the stone dust from the golem's strike came up. As he landed on the golem's arm he immediately broke into a sprint, running up the length of it before leaping forward, delivering a strike to the golem's face as he leapt off, landing behind the golem once again. This time he immediately began to step to the side, backing up a few more feet.

"Man, is this even working? Since there's no visual signs of it taking damage I can't even tell if my strikes are having any effect other than its health."

He gave a slightly exasperated sigh as he looked up at the golem again, which rotated around, preparing its next attack.

HP List

Calrex: 16/17

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 16/20

ID: 11773

Battle Dice: 7

Mob Dice: 7

Once the golem managed to turn and face Calrex it brought its fist back, hurling a punch towards him once again. Calrex easily dodged to the side, rolling a few feet before bouncing to his feet.

"Alright, that should have bought me enough time to..."

As Calrex turned his eyes widened as a large piece of rock just barely grazed his cheek. As his vision fell on the golem he saw it had actually fired its fist at him, the rocks crashing into the wall behind him.

"...So...it has ranged attacks as well...Well that's just great... I'll need to keep an eye out for those attacks then and hopefully stay in some happy medium where the AI won't be tempted to do that again. I wonder if it's because I managed to drop its health to its current level."

Calrex rushed forward at the golem, which had turned to face him. Behind Calrex the rocks reformed back into the golem's fist, which had begun its return to its arm. He quickly moved to the side that was regenerating, leaping up, delivering a flying kick to the golem's chest before the fist managed to fully regenerate. Calrex jumped off and moved into mid range of the golem, one where it didn't have to move more than two steps to get within melee range.

"Hopefully this range will confuse the AI enough that I won't have to worry as much about that ranged attack."

HP List

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 15/20

ID: 11776

Battle Dice: 4

Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +1)= 8 (+1 Damage)

"Gh...gwah!"

Unfortunately the range was enough to trigger the ranged fist once again. Calrex managed to brace for the impact as the fist came flying off the golem, slamming him into the ground. The fist smashed to pieces before beginning its return to the golem, Calrex sunken into a crater.

"Tch...already? This thing is really starting to become a pain..."

He struggled as he pushed himself to his feet, looking up at the golem. He wiped the side of his mouth as he leapt back further, going into his fighting stance, "Alright, so right now I've got two things to focus on the most: That flying fist attack and its mad charge. One it looks I can exploit while the other I'd be better off dodging."

He lowered his stance further as he tensed the muscles in his legs, preparing for the next attack, "Alright, come at me..."

Queue Mortal Danger Theme

The light in Calrex's eyes seemed to dim as he focused on the golem, "I've said it before. I'm not going to die in this game, not here, not now."

"Focus...shut out all emotional distractions. Rely on what you know...it's all you need. Take this thing down..."

Calrex exhaled, the breath seeming even colder than before, the sound almost as if one were in an icy cavern. His eyes focused on the golem, his brows furrowing slightly. As the light behind his eyes dimmed further his stance seemed to relax, yet retain its poise.

HP List

Enemies:

ID: 11777

Battle Dice: 5

Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion +1) = 3

As the golem made its approach towards Calrex he remained unmoving in his fighting stance. The only sound coming from him was the almost unsettlingly calm breathing coming out of him. The golem's AI, thinking that Calrex wasn't moving, brought its fist up, bringing its fist down in an attempt to crush him into the ground. The strike hit the ground, causing lot of small rock particles to rise up from the ground. The ground sunk slightly as the crater formed around the strike.

As the dust settles however, it was a different story. Calrex was standing in the exact same position from before, only he had moved a few steps to the side, avoiding the hammerfist. His breathing was still calm, his face tilted down. He quickly leapt up onto the golem's arm, rushing up it using his Sprint ability before he attempted trying to kick it in the face. The golem had just barely managed to avoid getting hit in the face once again.

Calrex slid a few feet, kneeling to slow his slid. Once he came to a full stop he silently righted himself, turning to face the golem before returning to his stance.

HP List

Enemies:

15/20

ID: 11778

Battle Dice: 3

Mob Dice: 8 (Evasion +1) = 7

As the golem rushed at Calrex once again Calrex lowered his position, rushing forward. The golem brought its fist back, preparing a punch at Calrex. Calrex brought his fists up, as if prepared for an attack. As the golem sent its fist forward Calrex weaved to the side, the fist grazing his arm as it slammed into the ground.

Calrex slowed his movement as he got within his striking range of the golem, keeping his stance low. He was utterly silent, the eerily calm breathing resounding from him after the crashing noise of the golem. As Calrex straightened himself up he swiped his menu down, preparing to use another potion to heal himself. At the same time he sent out a message, looking up, his left eye hidden behind his hair.

Subject: On the Second Floor

Currently fighting a golem for the quest. About to use a second potion, only have one left. On the top of a mountain just outside of the west gate. Hoping the battle turns around."

HP List

Calrex: 9/17

Enemies:

After sending the message Calrex opened the potion from his inventory, placing it into his mouth and taking a large drink of it. He knelt down, setting the potion bottle on the ground. As he got back up to his feet the potion dissipated into multiple crystals. The golem seemed to move slowly, as if in curiosity at the new persona that was in front of it. He knelt lower, readying for a jump, his fists clenched.

"Remain calm and use your techniques. You can survive if you fight..."

In a split second he leapt up, using a backflip to maintain the peak of his jump. The golem moved upwards in surprise, both of its arms coming up behind of Calrex. He quickly looked behind him before kicking off of the arms towards the golem's head.

HP List

Enemies:

ID: 11779

Mob Dice: 6 (Evasion +1) = 5

As Calrex approached the golem's face he prepared his fist as he tried to punch the golem across the cheek. Unfortunately the golem's head tilted and Calrex flew clear of it behind the golem. At the same time the golem had tried to grab him with the arms that were rising up, but since Calrex had kicked off the arms he was clear of being grabbed. He popped out the other side of the golem, sliding to a stop before he quickly turned and kept his fists up.

As the golem began to rotate Calrex took advantage of the golem's position in mid-rotation. He kicked up, landing on one of the golem's knees before leaping up onto its thighs, then onto its left elbow, then running towards its face again.

HP List

Enemies:

ID: 11784

Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +1) = 1

As Calrex reached the golem's face he leapt forward, rotating once before delivering a successful flying kick across the golem's head. As he went across to the other side of the golem's face he landed before crouching, leaping off of the golem as it tried to grab him once again like he was an ant on a person's skin. Calrex landed on the ground, leaping back a few feet. As the golem saw Calrex land he extended its other arm, firing its fist at him.

As the fist got into range Calrex rolled to the side, the fist crashing into the wall, shattering. As the pieces began to reform he dashed forward, focused on the golem's exposed side. At the same time the fist was flying just a few feet behind and to the left of Calrex, aiming for the golems empty wrist.

HP List

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 14/20

ID: 11787

Battle Dice: 3

Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion +1) = 3

As Calrex got within striking range of the wrist he quickly stopped his advance as the golem's fist regenerated and attached back to its wrist. Almost immediately the golem fired the fist again at Calrex, who dove to the side, leaping up to try and strike at the golem's chin. As he got close the golem tilted its chin up. While Calrex did make contact, the movement killed any potential power behind his strike, essentially making it useless. Calrex gave a small cursing exhale as he kicked off, landing on the ground, sliding a few feet before standing back up.

As before the unusually calm breathing continued to leave his mouth as he kept his eyes on the golem. There wasn't a determined fire behind his eyes as he stared at the golem. The gaze he gave was cold enough it was as if icicle daggers would form and pierce whatever target he was looking at. Behind that gaze was a void, devoid of drive, devoid of emotion. If one had ever seen a person who was broken beyond belief, or even a person so accustomed to death that it no longer phased them, that was the feeling behind Calrex's stare. It was ice cold and mechanical.

HP List

Enemies:

ID: 11805

Mob Dice: 8 (Evasion +1) = 7

Calrex rushed forward again, preparing to rush up and attack the golem's head once again. As he rushed forward the golem flung its giant fist forward once again, aiming to smash Calrex into the ground. As the first got close Calrex leaned to the side to try and maintain his momentum while rushing forward. Unfortunately the fist fell right in front of him, the impact sending up a bunch of rock shards like a spray of needles.

As the rock shards flew at him Calrex raised his arms to block as he was peppered by the rocks. He had missed the full brunt of the attack, but the splash damage still affected him nonetheless. He gave a calm, chilly sounding exhale as he skipped back a few steps, looking up at the golem.

HP List

Calrex: 12/17

Enemies:

ID: 11810

Battle Dice: 10 (+2 Damage)

Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +1) = 1

Calrex stared at the golem for what seemed to be minutes before the golem decided to act. It raised up both fists as it prepared a double hammer fist. As the arms rose Calrex's head tilted down, as if he was waiting for the fist to come down. As the golem brought its fists down Calrex continued to remain still. A resounding slam could be heard as the fists made contact with the ground. As the dust cleared once again Calrex was standing, only this time he had not moved. The fists had come down on both sides of him, as if the golem were trying to predict which way he would dodge.

"My turn..."

Immediately Calrex leapt up onto the golem's right arm as he dashed up it, moving without thinking for a second about losing momentum to gain control. As he moved up the arm the golem's over arm started to come up as if to try and swat him. As he saw it he leapt forward, delivering a fierce kick to the golem's head. The impact was hard enough that the golem's head was forced to the side. Immediately after Calrex landed on the opposite shoulder, leaping up and flipping himself around.

As the left hand came up he kicked off of it, heading at the head again. As he went by he delivered a fully wound up punch as he moved by, sending the golem's head back in the other direction. He leapt off of the golem and back onto the ground as the golem tried to reorient itself. He kept his eerily calm demeanor as he turned to face the golem.

HP List

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 11/20

ID: 11814

Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +1) = 0

The golem was still reeling from the assault that Calrex had just unleashed as it turned around to face him. But by that time Calrex was already moving for another attack. The golem raised up its left arm as it fired the fist out, hitting far clear of the mark as Calrex rushed in. As he got into striking range he noticed the hand already making its return to the golem, so instead of taking the time to get up and strike the head he did a quick strike, leaping up and kicking the golem in the chest before leaping off, landing on his feet in a kneeling position before getting back to his feet.

Although it didn't do as much damage as his head attack, the golem did seem to be hurting from all of the attacks unleashed on it so far. Calrex gave a deep exhale as he kept his eyes focused on the golem's movements, going back into his fighting stance.

"Maintain composure, stay focused..."

HP List

Enemies:

Stone Golem: 10/20