[PP-01] Adventuring

Rikimaru had been in the town of beginnings for quite a while. He had already gotten over the initial shock of getting stuck in this death game. Although it was still surreal, he had to persurveer if he was going to have any chance of getting out of here alive. To do that he needed to level, and to level safely he needed allies. He was staying at one of the many taverns that dotted the city, housing SAO starter players. A few stronger players had already leveled and gotten into the upper floors. Most still had a ways to go to catch up. Walking out of his room he flicked his hand, opening the menu. He put out an advertisment in the taver which would be visible to anyone inside and out of it. It read as follows: Allies needed for level grinding. Ask for Riksis at the <Ol' starter's tavern>. He pressed the greed check mark and was met with a screen saying "request sent". He took a seat at a table facing the door and waited for any perspective allies to pop in.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warnik was wandering around Starter City. Looking around for something to take his mind off the chaos that ensued after Kayaba;s announcement about the death game that started recently. He initially wanted nothing to do with this game, and decided to wait it out on the first floor. Someone would rise up against this problem, take up a sword and put an end to this nightmare, but that felt like it was weeks ago. More and more people left Starter City, deciding to make a name for themselves, help with clearing floors, Warnik wondered if it was time he joined in on the action. Sure, he didn't like the idea of working with too many other people, but he grew bored of sitting around and doing nothing.

At that moment and time, and exclamation point appeared in the top right corner, of his HUD. It was probably an announcement about how the effort to clear the game, and he prepared himself for some bad news. He sighed just in case it turned to be a message saying that a giant monster had wiped out some more players in a raid. It wasn't. It was a general message mentioning something about allies being needed to grind nearby, and to ask for someone named Riksis at a local tavern. "Might as well", he said out loud, and started walking towards the place indicated in the message.

It didn't take long for him to arrive. "Rikisis?" he called out as he walked into the building. 

Rikimaru was idling in his thoughts as he waited for volunteers. He tried to figure out things ahead of time, make a plan. He had had a conversation with a low level information broker about lucrative spawn spots. The information he had told him was no longer worth anything so he simply face it out for free. In the plains north east of the starting city was a boat spawn point that spawned them each creature away from the other. While the board where a little stronger than normal, they could be fought solo without drawing agro from the rest of the heard. This made it an ideal spot for new players to level grind at. The next thing he needed to do was level grind and get better equipment. From the he could continue up to the higher floors and repeat the process.

Rikimaru was just about to give up when he heard his characters name be called from across the room. His volunteer call had worked. He waved the player over and motioned for him to sit down. "As you know I'm Riksis, and I need someone to party up with to grind levels." He would say this while setting up a party with the other player. "So, ya in?" He would say as the comand promo appeared before the player asking him to accept or refuse the party invite.

Warnik was motioned to sit down as he walked into the tavern by the stranger known as Riksis. He didn't comply and opted to stay standing up, and watched him introduce himself. Warnik gripped the mace on his belt as Riksis explained his current situation. He was straight to the point with his intentions, since he sent the party invite without any questions. Warnik liked that, keeping things strictly to business and avoiding any pleasantries

"I'm in." he replied as he touched the command prompt's check mark and the party had formed. He looked around the tavern and was somewhat surprised that there weren't any other players about. He thought that he might've just been the first to arrive, and get invited to this level grinding. "Name's Warnik, by the way." he quickly introduced himself since he wasn't one to needlessly stretch his words. "Are there others?".

Calrex had just come back from completing his first time gathering materials as donations for the shops when he was passing by a tavern. As he walked by all of a sudden a request popped up in front of him. "Hm...I wonder what this could be."

He stopped walking as he decided to pull up the request, "Hm..needing players for grinding. See Riksis in the starter tavern...I guess I've got some time to see what's going on..."

He turned as he made his way into the tavern, opening the door. The place was littered with new players, some Calrex hadn't even seen when he first logged into SAO. Compared to how he was now it was almost like looking into the past when he was a Level 1 player as well. He made his way over to a particular area, looking at the players names as he made his way, eventually seeing one player by the name of <<Riksis>> talking to another player.

"Are there others?"

Hearing the other player ask if there were any others joining Calrex stepped over, putting up a hand in a friendly wave, "Hi there, I'm guessing you're the one who put out the party request?"

Calrex quickly looked at both of the people in front of him. They both seemed fairly new to SAO, going by their equipment. Nonetheless, he was also in a similar situation before and figured to pay it forward. Since Oikawa and the others helped him get stronger, he would help these two out as well.

"If they allow me I'll keep an eye on them and see how they do. Hopefully I can keep them safe on my watch."

"I'm Calrex, nice to meet the both of you."

His new ally, who had identified himself as Warnik, accepted his part invitation. As he pressed the confirm button a small ding echoed in Rikimaru's head. At the top left corner of his vision another life bar appeared. By it's end it read: Warnik, Lv 1. His new ally was just as new to the death game as he was. As soon as Riksis was going to answer Warnik's question, an unfamiliar voice called out to him.  "Hi there, I'm guessing you're the one who put out the party request?".The player was geared, though not enough to be a clearing player, possibly a mid leveled solo or a low leveled guild player. He stood up, facing both Warnik and the new player. "Yes, i'm Riksis. This is Warnik, the other player who answered my advertisement." He would do the same thing he had done to Warnik and send him a party invitation. The player introduced himself as Calrex, Riksis gave a smirk and a nod of his head. He filled Calrex in the same way he had with Walnik. He told him about the monster spawn area outside of town and how he wanted to level grind. 

Warnik turned around to see that another person had answered Riksis' request for a party formation. The new face looked tougher than both, he and Riksis, going by what his appearance and his gear.

"Hey." Warnik nodded politely, as the man known as Calrex introduced himself. He had to admit that he was glad that there was someone in the group that looked like they knew what they were doing in this game. He wouldn't say it out loud however.

Warnik quietly observed as Riksis filled Calrex in on the plan. Grinding levels would be easy enough and with the three of them, the chance of someone dying would be lower than if Warnik had gone out alone. Hopefully, the chat won't last too long, because Warnik felt ready to go, and take on his first boar. He hadn't yet, and this would be a great learning experience for him.

"When are we heading out?" Warnik asked Riksis after he explained the monster spawn point.

Calrex gave a nod of greeting to both Riksis and Warnik as he adjusted the sword on the back of his hip. Of course, after the formalities were exchanged it looked like the other two players were already anxious to go and do some training.

"Well, I guess it's a good thing that they're eager, although I just hope it doesn't get them into trouble. Since we're going fairly nearby though it shouldn't be a problem."

"When are we heading out?"

"Well I'm all set to go whenever you guys are ready."

"Since we're on the first floor I might need to draw my sword. Hopefully my fists will be enough. However if the situation does go dire I'll make use of it."

All three of the players where now completely filled in on the plan. It was simple level grinding, killing monsters for items and experience points. But now with a higher level player watching out for them it would be a lot easier to farm than if they both went out on their own. Both his partners where already eager and waiting to go, and so was he truth be told. With a flick of his wrist he opened his backback menu. He would equip his starter armour over his blue shirt and black pants and boots. It wasn't anything special, a simple leather chest piece. Next he equipped his one handed spear which spawned a holster on his back with the weapon already sheathed. Closing the menu, Riksis would lead the trio out of the tavern and into the streets of the starting city.

Outside it was the usual hum-drum of the city. Small roving groups of newbies walked around melded into the NPC crowd. A few loners sat on benches, browsed shops, and went about their business. It was only a five minute walk to the gates as the tavern was relatively close to the gates. As he stepped out of the gate he unsheathed his spear and slung it over his right shoulder, holding it near the end of it's shaft. He wanted to be prepared anytime death was even a remote possibility. The road from the city went on a mile or so until a fork in the road divided the road. He took the path to the right as they where heading to the north-eastern plains. It would take them a few hours to get there.

Warnik quickly followed Riksis as he wandered out of town, and got out the gates of Starter City. The plan that Riksis had put together had taken them a lot further than he thought they would initially be going, but he wouldn't complain. Just as long as they would get something out of this little adventure. Warnik twirled his mace idly as they continued walking through the plains, and passing the fork in the road.

Along the way, Warnik examined Calrex. He was well equipped compared to the two level ones in the group. Especially to himself, since all Warnik had on was a dark green tunic and beige pants. He wondered if that would be enough for whatever they'd be facing in the future, so he decided to look to the veteran of the party. He was level 7 after all.

"Hey Calrex...?" he spoke up, hoping to get his attention for a moment as they continued walking. Normally, he wouldn't think to ask for help, but in this case it seemed like the smart thing to do.

"I've never actually fought before." he admitted, swallowing his pride and getting embarrassed. As he turned away and scratched the back of his head, his face flushed a little bit. "What should we expect?"

Calrex followed behind as the two new players headed out from the tavern, keeping pace so that as a group they formed a triangle, allowing them all to equally contribute to any conversation. Riksis seemed to be focused on getting over to the training spot while Warnik...

"Hey Calrex...?...I've never actually fought before...What should we expect?"

He thought about it for a second as he recalled the first time he, Teayre, and Oikawa all went out of the city to fight some boars. He didn't land a single hit during that time, and he figured originally that it might have been because of some weird calibration, but in actuality it was the actual simulated weight of the weapon that was throwing him off.

"I would say to be prepared to anything. From what I've gathered so far the reality of this game is a lot more like real life than you would think. Even the weight of your weapons are simulated to a very detailed level."

He put his hands in his pockets as he continued speaking, "I would suggest though that we don't get overzealous with your training. Generally as a rule for me if ever my health goes to half or just a little less of it I would either use a healing potion or treat that as my last enemy before heading back into the city to recover."

Riksis was leading the trio to the designated grinding spot when Warnik asked how combat would be to someone who had never fought. Truth be told Rikimaru had never even thrusted his spear at anything. He was just as much a green-horn at this as he was. It was a shame to admit but he was curious as to Calrex's reply. It wasn't very helpful, a simple 'prepare for anything'. Riksis had read through the tutorial like everyone else and they where low level monsters. If the three of them couldn't take down a single boar they deserved to die. Rikimaru pushed the thought from his mind, they neared the spawn location of the boars. The trio was atop a small hill which kept them away from both the boars aggro range and their sight. The information held true, the boars where spaced out well enough for solo fighting. He looked over his shoulder to the rest of the group, "You guys ready?" When they both would give a reply he would target the nearest boar, which happened to be the one at the bottom of the hill.

ID:12136

Battle Die:2

The boar was a big black pig with tusk sticking out of the corner of it's mouth. Riksis held his spear by the handle in the middle of the spear, marked by red cloth. He charged down the hill keeping the boar in his sights. Hearing the end of the hill the boar noticed him, instantly facing him and letting out a ferocious roar. Riksis thrusts his spear aiming for the head of the boar when it side stepped his attack. He spun around to face the boar with a scowl on his face.

Boar:4/4

Riksis:5/5

OOC: First time writing an attack post, hope i did it correctly.

"The weight of the weapon is simulated realistically?" Warnik thought, as he gave the mace he was twirling earlier a few practice swings. Sure enough it felt hefty and a little bit unwieldy, he noted. His swings were pretty slow and he could feel the drag.  Like swinging around a very top heavy baseball bat in real life. "This is pretty neat."

Warnik nodded in response to Calrex's advice about not getting overzealous in their training, and battles. He didn't have any healing potions or crystals, so he would have to be extra careful.

Once they had gotten to the area, where Riksis pointed out, he asked if they were ready. "Yes." Warnik replied sharply, holding the iron mace in both hands, and taking a stance that resembled a batter from baseball. Once Riksis began charging the boar, Warnik quickly followed suit and ran behind him.

ID:  12166
Battle Die:  9
Mob Die: 1

While Riksis had distracted the boar with his lunge, and both dodged each others attacks, Warnik swung the mace in a long arc towards the beast. The boar tried to counter attack, but the attack that came straight after Riksis's was entirely unexpected as the blunt weapon collided with the boar's muzzle. A satisfying crack could be heard as the boar was sent reeling, squealing in pain.

"Ha!" Warnik couldn't help but smile and feel good about himself, after landing such a strike. It seemed Cal's advice was spot on. He'd have to thank him for that later. For now, he would focus on helping take this monster down.

Boar 2/4
Riksis 5/5
Warnik 7/7

OOC; Riksis, almost XD! Don't forget your Mob Dice next time if you're the first one to attack. it helps to designate who's in charge of that monster's rolls during a battle.

IC:

ID: 12169

Battle Dice: 10 (+2 Damage)

No Loot Obtained Due to Low Health on Mob

Calrex watched as Riksis and Warnik took their turns targeting a single boar. While Riksis seemed to be unsuccessful with his spear thrust it gave a clear opening as Warnik charged in and delivered a resounding blow to the boar's head.

"For a couple of guys new to the game they seem to be doing well so far. If we stay at this pace to start off we should be fine for at least a few battles unless the odds change against us. Their HP is fairly low even to start though so I'll need to be careful. I almost wish I brought some teleportation crystals with me as well."

After Warnik switched out Calrex rushed in, giving a quick crack to his knuckles as he walked over to the boar. It gave a angry squeal as it turned to face him. Calrex gave a calming breath as he went into his fighting stance, spreading his legs slightly with his right foot in front of his left. His right hand was in front clenched into a fist just a few inches away from his hip while his left arm was close to his face, open handed.

As the boar charged Calrex focused as he brought his fist back, a yellow light encapsulating his fist as the assisted system kicked in. As the boar came into striking range he stepped forward, sending a strong punch to the boar's face. The attack hit true as the boar was stopped dead in its tracks before dissipating into a series of crystals.

While the battle was a fairly easy encounter, the low health of the monster resulted in there being no loot from the battle. Calrex gave a small sigh as he turned to face Riksis and Warnik, "That was a good starting battle guys. It went much better than my first. How're you feeling so far?"

HP List

Riksis: 5/5

Warnik: 7/7

Calrex: 17/17

Enemies:

Boar: -3/4

Riksis spun around just in time to see Warnik's mace collide with the boars face, sending it reeling from the impact. Calrex, the veteran of the group simply walked up to the boar and punched it with a direct hit to it's face splitting it into crystals which evaporated into the sky. A screen popped up reading 'CONGRATULATIONS!' with the total experience points gained. Another screen came up after that announcing his level up to level two. At the top left of his vision his health changed from '5/5' to '7/7'. Not bad for a level up. Even leveling up could not wipe away Riksis's scowl. His first 'kill' and he didn't even land a hit, disgraceful. 

Calrex approached them both, asking them how they where. Riksis simply gave him a "fine" before rushing into another fight to prove to himself he wasn't a disgrace. 

ID: 12213

Battle:6

Mob: 7

The next boar was a bit larger than the one they had just killed, possibly because it was closer to the center of the spawn point. Riksis rushed behind it into it's flank, angling his spear paralleled to his shoulders. He thrust the spear into the right leg of the boar where it went through, punching a circular red hole in the target. Riksis pulled the spear out, kumping back a few feet and readying a new attack. The boar turned to him and roared, charging towards him. He moved his momentum to dodge to the left but he was too slow. The boar collided with his shoulder causing him to roll to the side. He sprang to his feet, ready for any other attack. 

Riksis: 6/7

Boar: 6/8

Warnik was about to mention how great it felt to hit such a powerful first attack, and how impressed he was with Calrex's bare handed fighting prowess.The fact Riksis seemed to be in a bit of a foul mood, changed his mind about saying anything. He simply shrugged towards Calrex, giving him a confused look as Riksis began to work towards killing another boar

"Oh well, I'd feel pretty sour about missing too." Warnik thought to himself, as he readied himself for the next battle. He waited for Riksis to land his attack before he ran towards the beast himself. This one looked a bit tougher, but with the between the three of them, this boar shouldn't be much trouble either. He raised his mace and dashed towards it.

ID: 12219
Battle Die: 5
Mob Die: 1

While Warnik tried to attack from the rear and get the surprise attack on this boar as well, he slipped up. The roar the boar had let loose was loud enough to startle him, causing him to swing his mace prematurely and only hitting the ground beside it.

"Shoot!" Warnik exclaimed, as he stumbled forward due to the weight of the weapon, and the momentum caused from swinging it. Luckily, the boar didn't seem to take much notice, and Warnik was able to jump back to a safe distance after regaining his balance.

OOC: Hey guys just as a heads up the boar only attacks once per round, so since it attacked it won't attack anyone else until it's Riksis' turn again. Get ready Warnik because it'll be targeting you next, then me afterwards :)

ID: 12223

Battle Dice: 7

Calrex made note of Riksis' reaction to his question as he immediately went over to another boar and began to attack it. As he looked over to Warnik he responded with a simple nod to Warnik's partially confused shrug.

"Well, I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed as well at missing my very first hit, although I could tell him that things could have gone much worse than they did. In any case my job is to make sure these two get enough practice in and don't die on my watch. If they want any of my advice they've gotta ask unless it's highly critical that they know."

Calrex gave a small sigh of relief as Riksis managed to score a hit on the boar, partially hoping that the successful hit would suffice to curb his disappointment. It seemed the accuracy traded as Warnik came in and tried to score a hit as well, being phased by the boar's roar.

As Warnik stepped back Calrex moved in, giving a small jump before he turned and did a spinning side kick to the boar. It was enough to knock the boar off balance for a second as he took a couple of steps back, his hands in their respective positions.

"You're both doing fine so far. Keep it up and this boar will go down very quickly."

HP List

Warnik: 7/7

Enemies:

Boar: 3/8

ID: 12227

Battle:6

Mob:6

The boar readied itself again, getting up from Calrex's spinning kick. It turned to Warnik, poised and ready to strike. Riksis took the opportunity to deliver another stab at the boars now red hide. The spear punctured through leaving a red hole as Riksis pulled the spear out. The boar, now enranged, charged at Warnik. It's raged doubled it's speed as it flailed around. It would deliver a charge into the midsection of a waiting Warnik.

Warnik: 6/7

Enemies:

Boar: 1/8

ID: 12228
Battle Dice: 2

Warnik groaned as the boar's tusks struck his unguarded midsection. For something considered weak, it made up for that by being pretty quick. When Warnik tried to return an attack the boar, it managed to sidestep, and effortlessly dodge the swing of his mace. "What gives?" he let out a frustrated sigh, as he backed off. Maybe he wasn't holding his weapon right, or he was being too predictable. He must've just gotten lucky with that critical hit earlier.

"Gah. Whatever." Warnik grunted as he shook his head, deciding to forget about his blunder. Calrex would be able to finish this pig off, anyway.

ID: 12229

Battle Dice: 9 (+1 Damage)

Loot Dice: 1 (Search and Detect +1) = 2

As his two companions made their attacks at the boar Calrex observed their movements and kept track of how they were doing. It looked like Riksis found his groove as he connected another strike on the boar while Warnik seemed to be having trouble with connecting a strike. He felt it was a good lesson though, as it meant that it didn't give them a sense of having a lot of power. Every miss reminds them that this was still a death game, and that they still had a chance of dying, no matter how strong they became.

"I know that Warnik seemed to openly take my advice well, although I would guess that Riksis found it a little too overused and broad. I wish I could give a more specific explanation, but really the way I've survived so far is to actually be prepared for anything. The less left to the chance, the higher the chance I felt of surviving."

After Warnik completed his attack Calrex rushed in, dropping low before executing a front flip, bringing his right foot around as he delivered a flipping axe kick on the boar. The impact was strong enough that the boar bounced off the ground just long enough that he could follow up with a forceful straight punch. The boar flew back a few feet before it froze in mid-air, dissipating into crystals. Calrex gave a calming breath as he turned to face the others.

"Nice work you two. Here you can divide the loot amongst yourselves. So far it looks like you've gotten the hang of the battle system from what I can tell."

He out a hand in his jacket pocket as he passed the Loot List over to Riksis. "If you want to do a couple more battles I feel it should be ok, but if either of you drop below half health it'd be best to head back to the city."

Loot List

1 Material

10 Col

HP List

Warnik: 6/7

Enemies:

Boar: -3/8