PP - F8 Reflecting on Past Events (Xanatos) (Completed)

A light blue light could be seen at the end of the treetop village of Florenthia Village as a person clad in deep sea blue full body armor emerged from it. His arms were covered in fierce looking gauntlets while a strange cutlass-like sword was in its scabbard on the back of his hip. The entire armament seemed to match as the person made their way into the main part of the village, heading over to one of the viewing points of the settlement. Upon arrival the person rested their arms on the wooden railing, looking down at the waters below.

Occasionally a single tail or the sleek body of a monster down below broke the surface as the person continued to gaze into the waves. Eventually he did a few swiped on his menu, changing out his gear. Now only the sword remained while the rest vanished in bright light as the person changed to a different garb. His upper body was covered by a white shirt and blue fur-lined jacket, while his lower body became dressed in a pair of dark gray pants that transitioned into boots. His head underneath the helmet revealed blue hair as the man gave a sigh.

"So...this is the eighth floor. Kind of a precarious setup for whats considered the main settlement."

Calrex gave a sigh as he turned away from the railing, leaning against it as he crossed his arms, beginning to contemplate the past events he had experienced.

I felt like exploring some of the floors I had yet to visit in my time here in Aincrad. The NPCs and players alike told stories of the wondrous architecture of the 8th floor. I decided to take a leap of faith and check it out. I walked towards the teleport pad in starting city. "Floor 8" The pad buzzed and shot me off to the floor. Within seconds I found myself in a woodland village in the trees. Kinda reminded me of a science fiction movie...what was it called again? Solar Wars? Eh, I'll figure it out. I walked off the pad and starting looking around. Porthos stood on my shoulder and squawked as I looked over the edge of the canopy. "Yeah, that's a long way down isn't it my friend? Don't worry, we won't be there anytime soon." As we wandered farther into the village, a familiar sight caught my eye. Calrex was watching over the waters below, clad in what seemed to be some new duds. "Hey Calrex!" I greeted him. "What brings you here? Shouldn't you be out gathering?"

"Huh?"

Calrex's train of thought was broken as he heard a familiar voice call out to him. He raised his head to see the person attached to the familiar face. He put on a friendly face as he responded in kind.

"Hey Xanatos, long time no see!"

He moved over to the side to give some room for Xanatos to lean on the railing as well, "I would be, but currently I'm doing a little bit of a recovery. Would be kind of pointless if I gathered a bunch of materials and then died out there right?"

With that Calrex looked to see a new face with Xanatos. It looked to be his familiar companion, and the bird appeared to be a phoenix, "I don't believe you had a familiar the last time I saw you. Looks like things are changing quicker that I thought, heh."

"Well I'm also one to talk. After meeting up with Teayre now I have the Grand Armament in my inventory. I guess my title of the Ultramarine Knight is actually starting to come to fruition."

He brought his arms back and rested them against the railing, "In any case I figured that I would check out some of the floors I had not visited just yet. This one seemed to be an interesting spot to cehck out first, so here I am. How about you? I thought your usual stomping grounds were on the third floor."

"Haha yes my friend! This is Porthos! And I thought the same to be honest. I had heard some tales of the 3rd floor so I thought I would give it a look. Diversity is key to a healthy mind! How are you feeling? I know the Mari incident has really rattled a lot of people to the core. Kosan tipping over the edge, Daeron losing himself in his sorrow...almost seems like too much sometimes..." My face grew solemn as I took a place next to him and sent Porthos on a fly-around. I stared off the viewpoint to the waters below.

In response to Xanathos' question Calrex gave a nod as his friendly persona switched to a serious one in respect to the mood the conversation, "Well I can't really say exactly. I mean going from what I know I came in on that whole thing after it whatever incident that caused it passed. However, I can't really go so far as to say that I am unphased by the entire thing. Seeing everyone like that did get my gears turning."

"Yeah...that whole incident I felt like an outsider, not simply because I wasn't a part, but because I had nothing to relate from that I could even try and understand what they were going through. Usually I know how to respond to a situation because I have knowledge or indirect experience with it."

"It is kind of unsettling that so many of the strongest players seem to be losing grip on their sanity. Of course I can't really say I would know what they've been through. It seems like being a front liner can have that kind of effect on your psyche."

Calrex gave a breath as he turned around to face outwards towards the sea once again, "I don't think I ever got the gist of what happened. If it's not too much would you mind filing me in on your point of view? Maybe there's something that can be gleamed from that incident that we could all be aware of and prepare for once we become strong enough to become front liners as well."

"Well, the incident began with a young girl named Aubrey approaching Mari. This girl I guess was annoying to Mari. Meaning just to scare her Mari ended up stabbing Aubrey in the head. Killing her instantly. All of a sudden, the screams of Aubrey brought many people, including myself to the tree Mari killed Aubrey on. Players like Daeron, Kiru, Kosan, Hikoru, Azide, we started appearing one by one. Mari drank a potion in her angst and began wildly attacking random players. Daeron made his feelings for her aware and pinned her to the tree, taking some damage from Mari's blade. Kosan appeared and only angered everyone else by threatening us. He wanted a slaughter. Eventually Daeron had to deal some damage to Mari, and Kiru went ballistic, attacking Daeron full force. Mari broke free and stabbed me in the shoulder. Hurt like a Bitch! Hikoru took Mari's blade she left i my shoulder and ran into the woods. That's all I remember from the Incident, I left with Azide and Ariel I think...."

"I see..."

Calrex gave a calming breath as he took in everything Xanatos told him of the incident before he had encountered them in the first floor forest, "That would explain why Mari seemed so standoffish when I happened upon her in the woods, and why Daeron would try to go so far...people really are colorful with their emotions aren't they?"

"One of the big things that can cause thoughts of suicide, at least in a good amount of places, would be some sort of extremely depressing or traumatic event. That could tie together why Daeron was trying so hard to try and kill himself."

"Going from the little I know of Mari she does seem to be a bit of the loner type, plus if my guess is right she's only a year or two older than me. That could mean that some really scarring incidents might have occurred in her past. I'm guessing that might have already put some bad gossip being spread about her, especially with the already stigmatic mark of being a player-killer, and this player Aubrey's death only served to escalate the situation. I'm sure that the situation could have been handled differently, but I guess that all of the emotions that got thrown into the mix only served to make things take a turn for the worse."

"If it hadn't been for meeting with Teayre some short time afterwards I probably might have carried some of that negativity in my own mind as well. Now at least I can confide in her some so that my mind isn't as emotionally weighed down upon."

With that Calrex gave another calming sigh, "In any case, I have a feeling that we'll need to be ready to experience our own hardship as the days pass by. There will be for sure might battles to come, and possibly more deaths that we will need to pay respect to. The main thing is that we need to steel ourselves for those days so that when they come we can be sure that no matter what sadness comes with it, we will remain true to ourselves."

"I honestly think Mari is a criminal...a murderer...regardless of how annoyed she got, she shouldn't have killed that player. She let her emotions get the best of her. She snapped. But, I was once a criminal too, I killed scores of people for profit..sometimes just for the hell of it... I found redemption in the care of one who would not give up on me, quite the contrary...he gave me a second chance. That's what we have to do with Mari. She must pay for her crimes, but she will not be executed if I have anything to say about it." I slammed my fist on the viewpoint rail. "No one deserves to be forsaken if they wish redemption."

"Fair enough, although I have a feeling that if we wish to do so we would need to get them to acknowledge us as equals first. Sadly enough..."

Calrex pointed to Xanatos' and his own levels, "...even if we wish to address everyone as equals, the fact that we are weaker would immediately put us in an almost subordinate position. No matter how much validity are in our words, if they fall upon deaf ears it won't do us any good. Back when I stumbled upon you guys I felt virtually invisible, and I have a feeling part of that can be attributed to the fact that I was significantly lower level than either Mari or Daeron."

As he heard Xanatos' fist strike the wooden railing he closed his eyes for a second as he turned back around, facing back into the city, "But you're right, we shouldn't making any rash decisions if we can avoid it. Even if Mari is a killer she also runs one of the top alchemist shops and has even participated in the frontline battles to clear the floors of Aincrad. We should try to help her a hand if we are able."

"This is worrisome though...should we end up clearing the game a lot of people will be grateful, but there will be also those who relished in the act of player killing. Now that they have gotten a taste of what it's like to end someone's life in the game, how much of a stretch would it be to do so in real life..."

"In any case how are you feeling about all this? Other than that wound in your shoulder I mean."

"People are nuts. The fact that Daeron is willing to kill himself for some delusion of eternal sorrow baffles me. How can one be so selfish? Kosan is a mad man that needs to be disposed of. All that aside, I personally don't like the idea of the front lines being so divided and inconsistent. Would anyone? Mari was supposed to be heading up at the boss fight and I was under the impression that It was to have already happened at this point...I am not yet powerful enough to challenge them, but if I was....there would be changes. Pkers shouldn't just get a free pass morally from us just because they are influential...That's how crime families and organizations operate. I would know... A house divided unto itself cannot stand, this house is crumbling, and along with it, hope. Azure doesn't seem to even care anymore...they bowed out on a crucial boss fight. Left us to scrape together what we can and hope it works. More will die because of them, count on it. We are at war Cal...and we are losing horribly. Morale is disintegrating and no one seems to be able to stop the fighting among the higher levels....

"Yeah...it certainly seems to be spiraling in that direction. I just hope that it's not too late to stop it. Unfortunately I've only met Daeron and Kosan for a brief period of time, so I really don't know what they've gone through. It does seem like Daeron is having difficulty keeping himself together. From what I saw that night he has had a previous relationship with Oske, but it seems like he's currently gotten himself wrapped around Mari's pinky finger. As for Kosan I only met him briefly during that time I first met you, Syo, and Reuriausuir."

"Speaking of the Azure Brigade...no...I'll save that for a later time...hopefully I might be able to make some changes to that..."

"Should things continue to deteriorate as you suspect I have a feeling that the most we'll be able to do is prepare the players coming up. We're currently in the middle level-wise, so it would be a prime time to do so. Should things at the top fall apart the base should be stable enough that it won't crumble with it. There are still many that could still carry on and finish this game. Skylar, Syo, Oikawa, all of the others that we know and trust. If we can all be sure to keep ourselves together there will be a chance for us to make it out of here."

"I need to make sure of that. I will do what I can to survive this game, in order to see Teayre...no...Narlia, outside of this game..."

Calrex continued to keep his serious persona on his face as he responded to Xanatos' statements.

"I never really got to speak to Xanatos like this before. He certainly seems to have a very strong sense and desire for justice. It's admirable, and I hope that he doesn't ever get disillusioned from that fact. For me, everything in this world seems to be mottled shades of gray. Everyone has the ability to commit honorable or heinous acts, all that is needed is the appropriate reasoning. Nonetheless in the long run good intentions that benefit many win out over bad intentions that benefit few."

"There are players we can trust, I just don't know for how long we can keep acting like this will blow over. A player has died needlessly and no one seems to care. She probably had a family! She was a human being and she just...murdered her...Where is her justice? These players just seem so concerned for their own feelings to the point of just not caring. Cal, I know you've got a good heart. But even that won't be enough to stop the hell-fire of chaos that will ensue if peace is not restored to the front lines. Azure cares nothing for those outside it's ranks...they sit in their shops and homes and shun those that they do not deem worthy. Their leaders squabble and complain while people are dying. Their so-called Maverick Hunters, do nothing to maintain the murders. All they do is protect their own. Azure should have ended Mari right then and there...they are just as responsible as Mari...Evil wins when good men do nothing. We must be the good men. We must push on...Mari will get her second chance because she needs it, not because she deserves it...."

Calrex solemnly nodded as Xanatos spoke his thought about the current state of the players within SAO, how the Azure Brigade nonexistent presence seems to be letting the PKers run amok, and how no one seems to be doing anything about it. He gave a calming breath as he cross his arms in thought.

"I guess this incident in a way is a peek behind the curtain of the way things currently are. I guess in a way I should be thankful to have been able to experience it. Xanatos is right in that while everyone may on the surface be trying to work together to get out of this game, this falls short of their own personal interests. I guess there truly isn't much of a difference between this world and the world outside after all. The morals and ethics are still the same, just a different playing field. I wonder if the creators of this game foresaw that when they made this world...

If these suspicions of the brigade are true I wonder if it was this way before Ariel decided to join. Maybe there's more reason to why she actually decided to recruit me for them. I guess these are all thing I'll need to ponder as time goes by."

"...and when the times comes we will do so..."

With that he used his hips to push off of the railing, turning to face Xanatos as he put his hands in his jacket pockets, "In the meantime let's do what we can where we're at with what we have. While we may not be able to change things in a night, let's see what steps we can make to do so."

"That's right...People are always wanting to do things to change the world, to make things better, but if there's no plan things tend to be lose through time. As long as there's a plan in mind and we decide to act upon it we can at least start taking those baby steps forward."

"The simple fact is: we need a new front line. A front line built on players with an active interest of freedom. Not an active hobby of murdering innocents. We need to start strengthening guilds like S1, guilds that stand for more than just the glory of battle. One that grows the community of the front line. Teaching players and grooming them for a healthy existence in the world. Then they can fight. Azure cares nothing for teaching, only throwing players like Alcor into the fire. No one healed him in the last boss fight...they just wanted the kill...so he died..because of their greed...So when we think of the baby steps. The first step is to make the problem public. Make sure everyone knows there is a problem..."

"The first step to fixing a problem is by making it known there is a problem..."

Calrex gave a calming sigh as he felt a smirk creep across his face for second as he relaxed his standing position slightly. Xanatos wsa definitely younger than him, but there were things that he seemed to know if that gave hints to a more mature way of thinking in Calrex's opinion.

"A common psychology tactic, but it definitely proves effective. If no one believes that there is a problem, nothing gets done about it, and people will just accept it as is. Over time that way of thinking can become 'the way things are.' If we want to try and change that we need to break the mold of the way people are thinking."

"If we want to change things for the better, the best first step would be to find and bring to light the problems with the way things are. If everyone knows and recognizes it, then steps can be made from there to address them and try to have them resolved for the better."

Exactly! Tolerating chaos only grows it. It does nothing for those who suffer under it. The next problem is how exactly we go about exposing it. What can we do at our level to expose this problem? Having our levels the way they are does not really allow us to start going around demanding change, let alone instigate it. If it were to get violent, it would be a slaughter. We would need the support of almost all those that are not part of the initial problem. Who would that all be exactly?

"That would be a tough decision to make, especially since are not the first here. We haven't witnessed all that has happened within the game that had led things to be the way they are."

"Plus in reality I'm not so sure that we can go pegging specific people in the first place. Sure there may be times where the cause of something may originate from a single individual, many other times it was a situation or some other outside catalyst that forced change."

"Plus even if we do so, we have to understand, and most likely bear the consequences that comes with the effect of absolving some and condemning others may cause. Numerous positive and negative things come from drawing a line in the sand."

"But does that mean we must not draw the line anyway? I mean sure we have examples, and not all the situations. But there are clear cut signs and instances no one can ignore, especially with this incident with Mari. It only exposed the issues with everyone involved...I'm not saying we meaning you and I have to be the ones to draw this line. That should be left to stronger players, but at ;east we can begin these conversations. Together we can bring a new life to the struggle against this world. We can help change the chaos Cal! We may be small right now compared to the others, but we have something that a lot of other players do not. True Hearts."

"True Hearts..."

"An interesting thing to say for sure. For someone to say something like that means that they've come to accept who they are, that they are true to themselves even in the face of whatever is placed in their path. I can't really say that I am the same. But he is right in a way. If we don't start the talks now it will only lead to more difficulty and possibly more heartache further on down the line..."

"Yeah, well leave that part for those later on down the line. If we concern ourselves with it now the only thing it may accomplish is to scare us off of what we are trying to accomplish."

" I kind of feel like I'm in some hero movie or something with a revolutionary theme to it. Then I guess this may be appropriate then."

Calrex put on determined smile, as if some fire within him had been ignited. If something within him did spark is yet to be known. He reached over and put his hand on Xanathos' shoulder as a sign of comraderie.

"Every great achievement begins with a single step right?"

"Amen to that! I know that everyone has their darkness Cal, but the great thing about being who we are is that we always have a choice. Making the decision to shun our darkness is what makes our hearts true! I never learned that until I came here. I had to ask myself what I fight for in this world. I swore to fight for those who could not fight for themselves. For those that had no hope. These are the days worth living for, the days when strong hearted people come together and decide to change the world for the better."