(OP-F1) Helping Out

Breeze roamed the streets of the Starting City, looking for something to do. Upon finding a crying child, he approached her and said quietly, "Hey. What's wrong?" She just sniffled and looked at him, which made him want to give her a hug. He frowned, if she would not tell him what was wrong, he could not help her. He sat down next to her, saying, "Are you lost? Come on, please answer."

This time, the girl nodded, and Breeze continued, "OK, do you have any parents here? I can help you look for them." The young girl nodded again, and Breeze laughed. "Come on," he said, "where did you seem them last?"

With that, he stood up and offered his hand to her, helping her up. She quickly led him to the center of town. Looking around, he saw clusters of people. But two in particular caught his attention. A man and woman rushed towards Breeze, tears in their eyes. The girl took off towards them, and Breeze simply nodded, knowing his job was done.

He turned around and began to walk away, a grin on his face. That was the fourth person he had helped in three weeks.

Calrex gave a sigh as he walked through the streets of the Starting City. He had a lot of stuff on his mind as he stepped through the cobblestone streets, wearing his casual combat clothing rather his usual outfit of the Grand Chariot full-body armor.

"There's certainly a lot of things I need to get thinking on. I never would have expected this kind of responsibility within SAO. Well...I guess I wasn't expecting a lot of things within this game..."

As he turned a corner he looked to see a man helping a couple...apparently find their child? He felt a smile come across his face for a second before he returned to his usual stoic expression.

"It is good to see that there are good people within this game. It's a nice balance to all of the other more malicious players that are going around..."

He gave a calming breath as he walked down the street, his hands in his jacket pockets.

Breeze continued to walk, and found himself approaching another player. He gave no thought to the player, and continued along. To his surprise, he found himself walking alongside the player, just several yards away. Perhaps they had a similar route in mind? Breeze glanced the player up and down and noted that he was considerably stronger than himself.

He looked around, ensuring that there was enough noise to cover his voice, and said to himself, "Perhaps I could match his strength someday." But that was highly unlikely. Breeze smirked, it was also unlikely that he would ever see him again, knowing just how many players there are in SAO.

Breeze remembered the parents from earlier, with tears in their eyes, and laughed aloud at the thought of them going to say thank you, but having nobody there to thank. It was a fitting job, helping others.

"Hm?"

Calrex looked over as he noticed someone was keeping pace with him, turning to see the player from before walking almost at the same stride as him. He felt a bead of sweat form on the side of his head before he gave a calming breath.

"He's probably just heading in the same direction as me. I mean, this is the way to most of the important areas of the Starting City."

He moved to the side, getting a bit closer to the other player as he dodged a couple of other ones rushing in the opposite direction of him. He let his hands rest at his sides as he looked over.

"Well...maybe I should try and strike up some conversation. I mean Takneil wasn't exactly the most friendly person either, but he was honest about himself, which is refreshing to see."

He gave a calming exhale before he turned to face toe player a few feet away from him, "Hey there, nice day isn't it? Did you need some help getting somewhere?"

Breeze nearly jumped out of his skin when the player spoke to him. What had motivated the player to do so? He swallowed, and then attempted to speak. Only a faint whisper came out. Coughing, he said a little louder, "Um, yeah, it is a good day... and no, I know where I am going." He hoped that had come across loud enough.

He rubbed the back of his neck, relieving tension, and thought to himself: why am I even talking to him? I don't normally talk to others in such a casual manner. As long as he is not rude, I guess it will be fine.

He placed his hand on the hilt of his sword, something he found quite comforting, even if he doesn't like fighting. He started to think of his first attempted battle. It had been against a boar. He could not bring himself to harm it, even if he knew it was digital.

"Oh, well that's good to hear. Sorry if that was an awkward introduction. I'm Calrex, nice to meet you."

Calrex put a hand behind his head as he introduced himself. He felt he should at leave give his name, since he did suddenly start talking to a random player out of the blue. From what he could gather the player in front of him wasn't very used to casual conversations, hence the hesitation and even the movement to his sword hilt.

"Not exactly uncommon. I'm a lot of players are thinking someone is out to get them nowadays. Well, I wouldn't be surprised."

Breeze stared at the player, almost as if asking him if he were crazy. Why would he introduce himself to a complete stranger, with no clue who they were? The player's positive attitude got the best of him, though, and he sighed before saying, "Call me Breeze. And it is a... um... pleasure?"

He grimaced. Even if he didn't talk much, that was a terrible introduction. He looked away, hoping that something would catch his eye.

Unfortunately, nothing did. It seemed as if he was forced into this conversation.

"Yeah definitely an awkward introduction... "

"Well its nice to meet you."

Calrex gave a nod as he looked around for a second, "Well in any case you seem busy, sorry for taking you from your schedule. I haven't been in this part of the Starting City in a while so there was a lot of new faces. Figured I would say hi to at last someone. But in any case I'm this way, so take care."

With that he gave a wave as he began walking in the direction he was going earlier, "Yeah I am not the best at those kind of things am I?"

Breeze watched Clarex go, and sighed. He felt obligated to do what happened next. He opened his menu and sent Calrex a friend request, saying, "I hope I spelled his name right." He smirked and turned, deciding that he should be on his way. It was nice to meet Calrex, and Breeze hoped they would meet again.

As he continued along, his thoughts traveled back into the past, two weeks earlier. He had found a player cornered by several others, and had peacefully managed to keep her from being harmed. The players that had cornered her swore that they would find and kill Breeze later.

He had thought nothing of it, but now he wasn't so sure. He would have to watch his back from now on.

"Hm?"

As Calrex walked along he suddenly got a notification in his menu, "Well that's certainly odd...what could it be?"

He quickly swiped to his notifications to see a new friend request from...Breeze?

"That's the player I just met right? Huh, never would have guessed he would send a friend request after that awkward interaction..."

He pressed the accept button, the new acquaintances name being added to his contact list. With that Calrex put his hands behind his head, looking up at the sky. As he did he suddenly looked down to see a little girl blaze past him, "Huh?"

He recognized the girl as the one that Breeze was interacting with previously. He looked forward to see the parents keeping an eye on her from a distance. From the scene he could easily deduce what was going on: The girl was very grateful to Breeze for helping her find her parents that she wanted to go and give him a hug of thanks. He gave a smile at the warming scene, putting his hands in his pockets.

"I guess there's definitely still some nice moments in this world after all. Well, I'm one to talk, being the one getting married to Teayre and everything."

Breeze had started walking, but was nearly toppled over by a small figure. He glanced down amd saw the girl hugging him. He laughed and looked up towards the parents, who mouthed 'thank you' to him, being slightly out of hearing range. He knelt down and hugged the girl, not sure what else to do. Eventually, the girl's embrace loosened, and he was able to detach her from himself.

He felt a smile on his face, and quickly forgot about the threats from before. He was doing the right thing by helping others, that much was obvious. And he would never stop helping others, even if his life should be at risk.

Watching the girl return to her parents yet again, he noticed Calrex in the distance. He laughed and waved before turning around. He had to be on his way, and so he picked up his pace as he walked.

Guest Meokka

Meokka was walking when she thought she spotted one of her guild mates. She pivoted and walked over with esteemed curiosity. She only paused seeing he was walking away from a young person. She stood not able to discern the gender from were she stood. Not that it mattered, but she wanted to greet the person in a polite fashion either way.

She walked over and gave a wave so that he knew she meant to chat. In all honesty Meokka was rather nervous about talking with a new person. Yet seeing they were the same height should felt strangely at ease with the person.

"Good day, how's life in the starting city?" she tried to strike up conversation.

Breeze nearly jumped out of his skin when a girl, who had gone previously unnoticed, decided to adress him. He sighed and said, "I am... uh... fine. Who might you be?" He shuddered. The more he thought about those players from before, the harder it was for him to keep cool. He glanced around nervously and said, "You aren't here to kill me, are you?"

Looking up, he noticed that the sky was just a slight bit darker than it had been, and a whole new bout of uneasyness came over him. It was best to be inside by dark, especially with people out there who want to kill you.

Guest Meokka

"Kill you?" she repeated and stared at him. "Why would I do that sir I just met you. Unless you have something against Cal-sama. Just kidding. I wouldn't harm a living person you know." She looked up at the sky seeing he did so. Then looked down and back at Breeze. "Is someone trying to hurt you?" she asked and looked around. Why would Calrex leave someone who felt like they were in danger of some sort? "I can take watch over you if you'd like sir." she hoped she guessed right on his gender based on his voice.

She went into to HUD and brought out her lance that had a pawn piece on it.

"Sorry about not introducing myself earlier. My name is Meokka it's a pleasure to meet you sir....." She waited for him to say his name.

"...Breeze. Call me Breeze. And it is nice to met you, Meoka," he said with unease. Wait, did she know Calrex? He looked in the direction that Calrex had walked, and then back at Meokka. He laughed, "I guess it is a small world, if I have already met two people who know eachother in the same day. And as for people trying to harm me, I am inside a safe zone, so I should be reasonably safe." He eyed her lance, and had to admire it's appearance, which oddly comforted him.

Breeze felt his muscles loosen up, and he realised that he had actually been quite tense before. But currently, in the presence of Meokka, he felt at ease. He knew that it didn't mean he was not worried about the other players, just that he knows that he is safe currently, for the most part.

Guest Meokka

"Do you know why people are after you?" she walked along side of him. "I can protect you, if you'd like. If you want training or a body guard you let me know." she moved her hand over the HUD and sent him a friend request. "Did you want to get some food. I know a bartender in town that'll let me eat for free. I've gone out to get him materials for food before because he didn't want to leave his establishment." she explained. "Should there be anything outside the safe zone you require you let me know." she was eager to help him. "Yes Calrex is a guild mate. When I saw him walking away from you I got concerned but it seems he was trying to help you out, or did. So now I will help you out."

Breeze shrugged, why not? He lightly smiled and said, "Sure, why not. A good meal couldn't hurt. And thanks, for offering help. I will call upon you if I should ever need assistance, I think." As they walked, he decided to answer Meokka's question.

"I am quite sure that the people who put me into such an uneasey state did so because I... uh, how would you say it... foiled their plans," he looked at her and continued, "they were, from the looks of it, going to harm a fellow player. So I stopped them. They were not pleased."

He felt a little redundant, having now thought and said the same thing in such a short period of time. He also felt off, as if he were different today. He had talked to two people today, and introduced himself both times. He accepted Meokka's friend request and smiled. Hey, as long as he was helping out, it was fine.

Guest Meokka

"That's good. How'd you manage that? Did you catch the players names per chance?" she wondered. She walked with him to the restaurant and found a booth to sit at with him. "Croquette please." she loved steak croquettes. "And a apple raspberry smoothie." she looked back at Breeze. "Is that the extent of your armor and everything?" she asked curiously. "I'm a blacksmith so maybe I can help you. I have a few orders right now but I can keep you in mind should you need something a bit more fitting." she explained. "I'm not the best blacksmith I just started so the most I can make right now are weapons. I should be able to make shields soon. I just have to collect more materials."

Breeze laughed and said, "Yes, this is all I got. But I intend to get better gear later, just for protection." He thought back and whispered to himself, "I do remember... one of the player's names was some form of animal." That player had been the apparent leader of the group, and the one to utter the threat.

He looked at Meokka and said, "I am curious, and if you don't mind me asking, I have a rather serious question." He laughed, it was a way to relieve his own stress.

Guest Meokka

"Don't worry we can work on that. Maybe go on a quest together or something to get you better armor or weapons at least. What do you say?" she followed him around. She was now curious who the person was. 'An animal huh? That could be a lot of players really. I'll keep an ear out for any rumors or other instances then. Thanks for the heads up." she followed him around. "Sure shoot, what's your question sir." she was pretty interested on what he was going to ask.