SP - F4 Ultramarine <<Essence of Steel>> (Completed)

After spending a significant amount of time in the Amethyst Boutique Calrex exited, making sure to close the door and switch the sign to closed as he left. Teayre had already departed some time ago to go take care of business she had to do. He gave a sigh to himself as he double checked the information he had received as he held the trinket Teayre had given him in his hand, the Ocean's Defense.

"She went and made this for me...and I went and..."

Calrex gave a sigh as he looked down at the Grand Blade, the sword still reminding him of its ability to call forth his cold persona.

"When I went to the waterfall...I think I might have made a grave mistake...but maybe there was some good that came out of it after all. I don't need to unleash that side of me...I need to harness, accept, and control it..."

As he made his way out into the fields he made a few swipes on his menu as the Grand Gauntlets went into his ready slots. As he did he switched the Ocean's Defense into its place as it appeared on his neck. He picked it up gently as he looked at it before looking forward. As he did he made his way towards a cave a good distance away from the settlement.

As Calrex approached the mouth of the cave a few visible breaths escaped from underneath the stoic face of the Grand Chariot armor, "Looks like this is the place..."

"Going from the information from the brokers there is a creature in this cave that drops an item that allows you to modify an item and move it up a rank, making it stronger. After what happened last night, I want to do right by her. She probably spent a lot of time on this trinket...and at the same time I can try to gain more control over the cold persona..."

He took a few steps into the cave as he looked around inside. While the cave itself was shadowed from the outside, the sheets of ice serving as the walls and roof of the cave reflected enough light so brightly light the interior. As he looked inside he saw that in the back of the cave appeared to be a strange creature. Not bigger than Avalanche, but certainly bigger than the golem he fought to gain his <<Martial Arts>> skill. It was covered from head to toe in snow-like fur, facing away from him.

"Is this...supposed to be SAO's interpretation of a yeti?"

He gave a calming breath, stepping forward. As he did some of the ice cracked beneath him, alerting the creature, which turned and gave a beastly roar.

"Alright, let's do this..."

He reached back as his right hand hovered over the handle of the Grand Blade, hesitating. He remembered what had happened that night, how the persona turned on Teayre. His eyes looked back at it before he looked down at the Ocean's Defense around his neck. His left hand came up, gently touching it. Calrex resolved himself as he closed his eyes, giving another calming breath, "I've got to do this..."

His right hand gripped the Grand Blade as he felt all emotion beginning to leave him. His eyes dimmed as his breathing became deep and long, while the tone became shallow, like he was breathing on a frozen tundra. As he did his eyes blinked a few times as he looked at the beast before him.

"Analyzing..."

"Proceeding to eliminate the target..."

Battle Start!

HP List

Calrex: 71/71

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 100/100

ID: 16290

Battle Dice: 5

Mob Dice: 1 (Evasion +1) = 0

"Characteristics of monster...medium to large sized organic creature...most like is capable of flexible maneuvers, comparable to past experience with minotaur guards...Doesn't have weapons, so most likely uses limbs to attack..."

"Engaging the target..."

As the Snowy Beast rushed at Calrex he remained still before drawing the Grand Blade, twirling it into a hammer grip before pointing it at the creature's head. As the beat got into striking range it gave another roar as it landed with both feet before bringing its arms down in a double hammerfist. The impact crashed into the ground, knocking up a cloud of snow. There was silence for a few seconds before the sound of metal on ice could be heard in a rapid succession.

Calrex had seen the two fists coming and predicted that both would miss their mark as he decided to remain still. The cloud that came up gave him cover as he activated his <<Sprint>> ability to move through the fog, emerging behind the beast as he leapt up. He used his <<Acrobatics>> ability to flip himself upside down as he came towards the beast, missing its the shoulder as he flew by. The beast grabbed its arm as it roared once again as Calrex landed on the ground, sliding before doing a quick backflip to disperse the rest of the momentum.

"Attacks close. Continuing assault..."

"Gotta...bring it...under...control..."

As Calrex kept his eyes on the beast his eyes bean to fluctuate between their normal and dimmed state, like someone was gradually turning on and off the lights in his eyes.

HP List

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 100/100

ID: 16294

Battle Dice: 6

Mob Dice: 5 (Evasion +1) = 4

As Calrex gave a few chilling breaths as the breaths were visibly dispersed. The Snowy Beast gave another roar as it beat its chest, leaping up high enough that its fists scraped along the roof of the cave as it held onto a couple of ice stalactites, flipping itself as it tried to drop onto Calrex in a falling stomp. As the attack came close Calrex vanished again as he used his <<Sprint>> ability to actually quickly sidestep to the side, then step back as he brought the Grand Blade in an uppercut from his free hand side, supporting the attack by bracing the handle with his left hand. The attack created a slash up the beast's right leg as it roared once again, trying to grab Calrex.

As the hands came close Calrex quickly kicked off the leg, spinning around in the air so that he was upright as he hit the ground, sliding while his free hand came down and worked like a third leg of support as he ended his slide a good distance away.

"Creature uses the environment for advanced mobility...prepare to watch for all sides..."

"Bring...it...under...control...continuing...assault..."

HP List

Enemies:

Snowy Beat: 91/100

ID: 16303

Battle Dice: 6

Mob Dice: 9 (Evasion +1) = 8 (+1 Damage)

As Calrex continued his mental struggle he lost his focus for a second as he saw a oversized hand in front of his face, grabbing him by the upper torso and tossing him against the wall. He hit the wall, but after he did he slowly fell, doing a partial front flip to land on his feet, keeping his sword trained on the beast as he gave a chilling breath. As the beast tried to follow up with a straight punch Calrex leaned to the side as the fist slammed into the wall. Immediately after the fist hit the wall he stabbed his sword into the forearm before rushing forward, delivering a slash up the arm as he leapt away to gain some distance between him and the beast.

"Remain focused...creature makes use of trapping and grabbing techniques..."

"Come...on...I've...gotta..."

HP List

Calrex: 68/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 82/100

ID: 16308

Battle Dice: 2

Mob Dice: 7 (Evasion +1) = 6 (Thorns Activation)

As Calrex continued his internal battle to gain control over his cold persona the almost strobe-like effect happening behind his eyes began to speed up as he raised his free arm to his head.

"Keep focused...eliminate..."

"I said...I'm...controlling this..."

As he lost his focus the beast closed in as he opened it's hand into a claw, slashing across Calrex's armor. While the Grand Chariot did absorb a decent amount of the hit Calrex felt that no matter how strong his armor was, a bit of the damage would always pass through, more than he would normally get from weaker creatures. As the claw finished passing through his chest plate was wrapped in the light blue aura chains as the armor's Thorn's ability trigger, unleashing a barrage of shards at the beast, which covered its face as it let out a weaker roar.

Calrex gave a breath, which had lost some of the chilling shallowness from before, but still remained deep and calm.

"I've got to do this...to keep her safe..."

HP List

Calrex: 65/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 81/100 (+1 Thorns)

ID: 16311

Battle Dice: 10 (+2 Damage)

"Come...on...!"

As Calrex stumbled back a few paces he felt the beast take another swipe at him, being partially hindered by his armor once again as he felt the claws leave a light scratch on his skin underneath the armor. As the attack hit the Thorns property of his Grand Chariot activated once again, unleashing a barrage of shards at the beast.

"Creature appears to have a phasing property...bypasses defenses to a level..."

As his mind continued to analyze the opponent in front of him he felt his personality starting to come back, as if the two sides of himself began to merge and cooperate: The warm, improvised, and emotionally aided side of his normal self and the cold, logical, and analytical part of him that made up the cold persona. As he did he felt the struggle in his mind begin to subside. The light in his eyes, although not fully returned, seemed less cold, and more fierce. Like the calm of the ocean right before a storm.

Queue The Ultramarine Knight (Controlled Cold Persona)

His eyes locked on the beast once again as he gave a breath, not one that was devoid of drive, but one that was calm and composed while full of determination. He had brought the cold persona under his control.

"Teayre was right...without my emotion I'm no more than a machine, a puppet to be controlled by someone else. That's not who she wants or needs is it? Like she said...I want to stand by her side. If I let myself be her puppet that's nothing more than a servant, not a husband or a significant other..."

The beast let out a roar as it rushed in at Calrex once again. He gave another deep breath as things began to slow slightly as his mind quickly began to scan for any telegraphed movements.

"It's going to attack with a double horizontal hammer fist...got it..."

As Calrex suspected the beast brought its arms back as it tried to swing at him. As the attack came Calrex crouched quickly, coiling the muscles in his legs like springs. As the fists came into range he quickly leapt up, the attack passing below. As the beast's momentum carried it forward Calrex twirled in mid air as he unleashed a series of slashes as he descended. As each slash passed through the creature an afterimage of the light blue chains flashed. For a second as Calrex landed it seemed like he had bound the beast before the chains vanished. He quickly turned and leapt back, twirling his blade.

"You're not going to take me down here. There's too much riding on me. I wouldn't be able to look her...no...anyone I care about in the eye if I let a simple creature like you defeat me."

He tossed the Grand Blade in the air as he casually swung his arm horizontally, catching it in a reverse grip, the handle guard in line with his stare at the beast, "So you'd best give me everything you've got, maybe it'll be enough to have me break my limit."

HP List

Calrex: 62/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beat: 69/100 (+1 Thorns)

ID: 16312

Battle Dice: 7

The beast gave a loud roar as Calrex narrowed his profile, taking up a side stance. He flicked the Grand Blade into a hammer grip as he kept his sword arm's side forward, his arm at a 90 degree angle, the edge of the blade facing up as the point was trained on the beast's head. As the beast rushed forward his eyes gave away no sense of fear or anger as he gave another calming breath. His eyes quickly scanned the monster's movements, but suddenly the creature leapt up and began maneuvering on the ceiling like before.

"No previous knowledge of other monsters that light like this. The closest one is the giant bats Teayre and I fought in the cavern for the Let There Be Light quest...but it looks like he's going to..."

"Gah!"

Before Calrex was able to determine his movements the beast was suddenly right above him as it slammed into the ground. As it did the force knocked Calrex off his feet as he sat the hand of the beast come at him from the side. He had barely enough time to cross his arms and brace for impact as it swatted him like a bug into the wall.

"Got to reorient myself before I hit the wall..."

As he was about to impact the wall he dod a partial backflip, his feet and legs cushioning the impact. The force kept him pinned to the wall for a second. As he looked up he saw the beast was already coming at him.

"Dedicated movement by leaping at me...he can't dodge now..."

Calrex readied the Grand Blade and as the beast got into striking range he kicked off the wall, delivering a quick slash to the beast's upper arm as he moved alongside its path. As he passed by he landed, spinning before touching the ground so that he could keep his eyes on the beast, "This seems to be working for now. I've gotta keep myself ready."

HP List

Calrex: 59/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 60/100

ID: 16396

Battle Dice: 9 (Damage +1)

As the beast leapt off of the wall where Calrex was originally hurled it took a low angled leap at him. As his eyes kept focused on the beast Calrex gave another deep, long, calming breath as he watched it's limbs for any signs of telegraphed movement.

"Coming in for a possible grab attempt. It's hand is slowly opening instead of clenching for a punch."

His mind quickly processed his position as he planted his stance, "This is an optimal position of attack, but not for avoiding the blow. Alright, I'll endure the attack and exploit the opening. Got it..."

As the beast came in its hand reached out to try and grab him, but Calrex leaned slightly to the side, the thumb's nail scratching him. As he leaned his sword came up into the stance he took before, point directed at the beast, while at the same time the Thorns ability of the Grand Chariot armor activated, surrounding his chest plate with the light blue aura chains. As the beast's head came close it burst, knocking the creature back and slightly into the air. At the same time Calrex used his <<Acrobatics>> ability to leapt up in a straight jump at the creature. As he reached its head his right arm came back as he did a driving stab, impaling the creature in the forehead.

As his attack struck true it formed an axis point as the two combatants rotated in the air, the beast's body now parallel with the ground. As this occurred Calrex swung around his sword, flipping his grip in reverse as he swung his body so that it was looking at the head from above. He quickly shifted his force downwards as the two plummeted towards the ground, Calrex slamming the beast into the ground by way of his sword.

He quickly extracted it, leaping back to regain some distance.

HP List

Calrex: 56/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 49/100 (+1 Thorns)

ID: 16405
Battle Dice: 4
Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +1) = 1

As Calrex kept himself at the ready he gave another deep calming breath as the beast rushed at him once again. It tried to attack with a barrage of crossing claw swipes at him, but with the amount of windup for each strike the monster made Calrex was easily able to predict where each attack would go. A few of them he easily parried to the side using one hand at end end of the Grand Blade to help shove them to the side. As another blow came from above he swiftly rolled to the side, and as he got to his feet the monster tried to do a hammerfist with a golf swing approach.

Calrex quickly leapt back, easily avoiding all of the potential damage the creature could have done. However, at the same time he was not able to deliver any counter attacks of his own.

"It's alright, just keep focused...It's still telegraphing movements, most likely due to its size. If I maintain the speed and control I have now it won't be able to easily hit me."

His eyes quickly scanned the creature, his mind quickly compiling all of the knowledge and experience he had gathered so far, "It's weak point is definitely the head, simulating a brain. Would make sense since it's an organic creature."

"Now I've just got to prepare an approach that will let me get into striking range of that weak point."

HP List
Calrex: 56/71

Enemies:
Snowy Beast: 49/100

ID: 16413

Battle Dice: 3

The battle continued on, with neither Calrex or the Snowy Beast being able to gain another hit on the other. The beast had begun to use more acrobatic maneuvers, using the interior of the cave like a wrestler would use the ropes on the edge of a wrestling ring. However, each attack was easily seen by Calrex, as he responded with either a deflecting block or a quick dodge to the side.

"Tch...right now all we're doing is trading attacks. It's like a melee game of cat and mouse..."

As Calrex continued his defensive techniques his brain was analyzing the attack patterns, verbally passing them through his head. However, his speech was unhindered as the controlled cold persona allowed his normal personality to show through.

"Possible attempt to wear down defenses and stamina to prevent escape. Looking for a guaranteed blow..."

"Alright, if that's the case I'd best be careful what I'm going to do next. If I keep playing the defensive game all it's going to do is wear me down. I need to take the offensive."

"Looking for possible weak points in creature's attack pattern..."

HP List

Calrex: 56/71

Enemies:

ID: 16420

Battle Dice: 1

Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +1) = 9 (+2 Damage)

As Calrex quickly observed the beast for weakness suddenly it switched its attack pattern. Originally it was leaping around the walls and ceiling to try and take advantage of Calrex's blind spots, but since he had deduced that previously he knew to rotate and face the beast every time. However, the switch in pattern resulted in the beast coming straight at him like a bullet, something Calrex was not expecting to happen so suddenly.

As he saw the beast closing in he tried to raise his sword to block, but the beast easily batted away the sword, impaling it into the wall to his right. As the beast raised both of its arms over its head Calrex quickly was able to predict what coming next.

"Incoming barrage..."

He quickly raised his arms in an X guard as the beast began to wail on him with a barrage of swipes and punches. Since Calrex only came up to about its knees each attack homed in on him as he braced for the impact of each blow. Luckily enough the Grand Chariot's armor combined with the Ocean's Defense seemed to be holding off the brunt of the attack while only bits managed to get through and actually damage him. After the beast ended its assault Calrex's armor was covered in small red slashes indicating the wounds.

Calrex gave a calming breath as he lowered his arms in a snap, the wound indicators vanishing in a series of red crystals, "Nice shot there. Now it's my turn..."

HP List

Calrex: 53/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

ID: 16431

Right as Calrex finished his response to the beast's powerful barrage he most fast enough to almost vanish using his <<Sprint>> ability as he quickly ran up the wall where his sword was planted, grasping it as he kicked off the wall back at the beast. The Grand Blade lit alight with a light blue glow as he flew past the beast, delivering a long powerful cut across its midsection, the light blue aura chain effect appearing.

This was the beginning of Calrex's attack, as he landed in front of the beast, casually straightening himself as he pointed his blade at the beast's head. As the beast recovered from his previous blow it threw its fist down as if trying to crush Calrex, who swiftly leapt to the side before sideflipping back, landing on the fist. As the creature brought back the hand Calrex kicked off, making a beeline straight for the beast's head , which he promptly delivered another piercing stab  into the creature's forehead. The attack forced the creature back as Calrex planted his feet on its face, stabilizing himself as he wrenched his blade back and forth while it was impaled into the creature's cranium.

After about three tweaks to the left and right he pulled the Grand Blade back out before stabbing it back in one more time, leaping back as he extracted the blade. He did a slow backflip as the beast fell back, slashing into the back wall of the cave as Calrex landed, crouching to help disperse some of the impact.

"Tactics appear to be working...I'd best continue..."

"See, I told you to give me everything you got..."

Calrex pointed the Grand Blade at the beast once again before tossing it up and catching it in a reverse grip, "How am I supposed to go all out if you don't give me reason to?"

HP List

Calrex: 53/71

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 38/100

ID: 16436

Battle Dice: 8

As Calrex taunted the beast once again it pulled it forward, going into a barreling charge at him. Calrex gave a deep calming breath as he watched the movement.

"I know this attack pattern. The golem in the Breaking the Unbreakable quest exhibited the same pattern. Come on, you've gotta throw something a little more original at me..."

He flicked his sword to the side as he placed himself between the beast and a wall, preparing for the beast to come into striking range. As it did he quickly dove to the side, the beast slamming into the wall. The resounding impact rattled the entirety of the cave as some of the stalactites fell from above. As some fell towards Calrex he quickly knocked them to the side with his sword as he rushed forward.

As he closed the distance he quickly maneuvered around the falling pieces of ice as he got into striking range of the recovering beast. He quickly leapt up, piercing the beast at the base of its back with his Grand Blade's main edge pointing upwards. Flipping his grip in reverse he ran up the length of the creature's back, leaing a long red crystal emitting wound on the back as he leapt off at the top, kicking off the wall and landing back on the ground below.

HP List

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 29/100

ID: 16438

Battle Dice: 4

Mob Dice: 3 (Evasion +1) = 2

As the beast recovered from Calrex's attack it turned and gave a louder roar than it had given previously, it's eyes red with rage at the deep sea blue armored player in front of it. Its fists beat its chest as it got pumped up before rushing at Calrex. Calrex gave a deep calming breath as he assumed his combat stance, flicking the blade so that its point was trained on the beast.

"Let's try switching tactics...executing rushdown advance..."

As the beast got in front of Calrex within striking range it performed a technique that was usually only commonly used by Calrex with his <<Marital Arts>> ability, as barrage of punches that was as the creature had become a Hekatonchieres. The blur of blows flew at Calrex, but instead of dodging to the side to completely avoid the blow he planted his stance as he thrust the Grand Blade. With each punch that came at him he deflected it to the side, his slashes, sword arm, and upper body becoming a blur matching. The clashing of blows almost seemed like a battle between a heavy hailstorm and a tornado as the two clashed at each other.

After that seemed like minutes of clashing the two ended their attacks as Calrex slide his right leg to the side, spreading his stance as his sword arm extended to the side. At the same time the beast brought its arms back, giving them a shake from the pain of being deflected, giving a few angry grunts as it eyes Calrex.

"You think you can get me with my own attack? You've got another thing coming!"

HP List

Enemies:

ID: 16456

As Calrex and the beast clashed again this time the beast was able to get a quick slash across Calrex's stomach. While most of the damage was absorbed once again by the Grand Chariot armor some of it managed to bypass through once again.

"That phasing ability is really becoming a bit of a nuisance. I really need to be careful about those claws. It's not much damage, but if I keep taking hits and not dish out any more to finish this thing up it might be enough to put me on the ropes."

After the first slash Calrex kept his eyes on the beast as it tried to gain another slash, but he quickly avoided it by flipping backwards, moving back about ten paces before killing his momentum.

"Alright, stay focused...keep analyzing and see if there's a weakness I can exploit. Searching for telegraphed moves isn't cutting it..."

HP List

Calrex: 50/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

ID: 16534

Battle Dice: 7

Mob Dice: 8 (Evasion +1) = 7 (Thorns Activation)

"I'd best proceed with the rushdown tactics from before..."

Calrex gave a calming breath as he quickly read any telegraphed attacks the beast was about to use as he planted his stance, giving a long deep breath like before. As the beast drew closer he flicked the Grand Blade into an icepick grip as he awaited the beast to get into striking range. As the beast did the two unleashed another rapid barrage of attacks, with the beast trying to slash at Calrex while he was using a rapid X cutting pattern to both parry and strike. A couple of small scratches appeared on both combatants as they attacks ended, Calrex leaping back as he tossed his blade into the air, catching it as it fell back in his right hand with a standard grip.

"Alright, rushdown is only working for clashes. I need a new approach..."

Calrex's eyes quickly scanned the environment, checking to see if there was any possible areas he could make use of.

"Noting multiple stalactites still intact from the previous shake. Could probably make use of..."

"Well, it's worth a shot."

HP List

Calrex: 43/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 19/100 (+1 Thorns)

ID: 16545

Calrex kept himself prepared as he positioned the Grand Blade so that it was facing perpendicular to the beast, the blade edge facing outwards. The beast gave a roar as it beast its chest once again, rushing at him. As this happened Calrex began to back up towards the closest wall, awaiting the beast to get into range. As it did he leapt to the side, the beast's arm smashing into where he once was.

As he landed his eyes quick scanned and made note of the fact the beast had hit the ground hard enough that its fist had gone through, getting itself lodged in the ground.

"Perfect time to try and exploit the opening...

He quickly flicked his Grand Blade into a reverse grip as he dashed up the wall before kicking off, turning back around as he approached the beast's forehead, preparing to strike.

HP List

Calrex: 43/71

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 19/100

ID: 16546

As Calrex tried to strike the beast's weakpoint once again it suddenly leaned back, moving its head out of Calrex's flight path as its hand popped out of the ground, sending a bunch of ice flying left and right. Luckily enough both the hand and the ice shards completely missed Calrex as he flew past. Once he made contact with the opposite wall he quickly leapt off, backflipping as he landed a decent distance away, giving a deep calming breath as his eyes continued to stay locked on the beast.

"Close hit...I'll change the approach and should be able to get a successful hit. I should only need at the least two and the most three to finish this creature off."

With that he quickly sheathed the Grand Blade partially back into its sheath, but not so far that it was locked in place. He quickly shifted his right foot back, assuming his modified iaido stance, a stance he had not taken up since the last time he wielded a sword. As he did the beast began to charge forward, its steps causing loud rumbles to echo through the cave.

HP List

Calrex: 43/71

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 19/100

ID: 16547

As the beast continued charing forward Calrex's eyes locked on the creature. Behind his eyes it was like the storm that was brewing in the calm of the ocean had just arrived, a raging torrent of water, wind, and waves swirling behind his eyes. As he used his <<Sprint>> ability the Grand Blade, still within its scabbard, began erupting the light blue aura chains from the mouth of the sheath, leaving an effect almost like an aftertrail as Calrex rushed forward instantly. As he got within striking range the beast thrust its fist forward, barely scratching Calrex's free hand, but just enough to activate the Grand Chariot's Thorns ability, the blast of shards shooting out and knocking the beast back.

At the same time Calrex drew the Grand Blade from its sheath, the spiraling chains surrounding the blade like a raging tornado. He leapt up, his right arm becoming a blur as he slashed in rapid succession up the creature's abdomen. As he got to the head he brought his sword arm back, delivering a fierce stab with the chains forming a spear head as he stabbed before flipping forward with the force, kicking off and landing behind the beast.

There seemed to be a pause in the flow of time as the flurry of blows that Calrex dealt left another aura chain aftereffect, as if he had bound the beast once again before the slashes went through, the beast letting out a roar as it fell onto its back from the explosive force.

HP List

Calrex: 40/71 (+4 Mitigation)

Enemies:

Snowy Beast: 7/100 (+1 Thorns)