Player made quest and Idea for it.

So I was wondering, is there any rule against a non GM making up a quest and playing it? Not for any type of loot obviously, it would just be for that one role-play and just the loot one would get from any player ran mobs/ finishing the topic loot. It would just be a quest for the sake of the story.

That being said, I have an idea for a role play that I want to put some time into writing out before putting it into action. In my D&D campaign, we are doing a murder mystery type of side mission, and its a lot of fun and full of spooks. I want to try and incorporate that in the quest and an rp. It would probably be what would have normally been a quest to find the murder monster blah blah, but now that it is a death game, it become all more serious in finishing the quest. 

It would probably run a little bit longer than the usual 1-2 pages that go with some rps. 

If I (can) go through with this, would anybody be interested to help out or play it? :D

All your talking about is a normal RP so it should be fine. The only difference is official quests usually do not count in the benchmark and usually grant more rewards then a normal RP. That being said if you think you have a good idea you should submit it to the GM's so everyone can have a chance to participate :P. 

A little bit thrown off and confused by that last statement, what do you mean by elements that are non-canon to SAO? If your referring to elements that have not been specifically stated to be included in the series then wouldn't a majority of our forms be considered fan-fiction? For example, anytime we clear a floor that we know Kirito was involved in(Such as the first floor boss fight) we would be deviating from the story of SAO, making this RP fan-fiction. I'm just trying to figure out how much room we have for creativity before our topics are moved.

By non Canon in the SAO-RPG I mean things that would not exist like:

-Rping that there are fast cars
-Stating that you met a sexy vampire lord and fell in love (someone actually tried doing this)
-Things that would not exist within the game such as demons, evil spirits that posses you, magical swords that hold human emotion etc. etc. etc.

-Super smart monsters that can trick you, run and hide, etc: the only exception to this is a GM run event.

Shark generally is the one who says 'yay' or 'nay' to such things. The best thing to do would be to outline what you want to do in it and post it here, or PM Shark who can give you the final go ahead.

At the moment you are stating you want to find a monster that has killed someone by utilizing some clues and information from other players and NPC's correct? As long as the monster is something that would appear in the SAO universe I personally do not see a problem with it. :)

Thank you for the clarification Mari :) If I go through with it, I will make sure to incorporate anything to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

Another idea to make it less of a quest would be to make it just a player run party, and the murderer be a player. I feel that would maybe make things a little less complicated in the end.

Funny thing is I play a character where all those things that aren't real things would be played as if she had done them- now she really didn't, but she would say she did~ "What do you mean there are no sexy vampire kings? Psh well I must have found the only one, shame he only comes by when the moon is at it's peak and the floor turns to lava~"

Anyways a cool self 'Quest' Though I'd call it more of a goal, slaying the monster that killed your friend, and in doing so became a mini-boss that drops a mat your friend once had(Being it's one mat drop if you don't get lucky)~ Sorta like a personal memento~ You wouldn't really get any quest rewards and nobody else would be taking the quest from your little thread as it wouldn't be a quest, but fun roleplay ideal~

Yeah I only meant "Quest" as in, as an idea, one can say they picked up a quest and it turned into this. Does not actually count as a quest though and would only yield the regular loot if necessary. But like I said, ideas are bouncing back and forth. Thanks for thinking its cool haha

As for your d&d character, my friend in our old campaign played a character who would make random pop culture references, but never know what they were from and would just say "never mind, not important." I play a bard with a rapier... er... basically Jomei xD

NPC's can't play victims and murderers, as that would classify as an actual quest to an extent. As NPCs would not normally do that. For them to do that it would be a 'quest' 

Sorry to put my foot down on this. 
What you can do is make up a player.

For instance, you make up a player named Bob, who has been going around slipping sleeping drought into peoples drinks out in the field, and then when they are asleep he forces them to accept duels to kill them, so his tag isn't orange its green. One of your friends, or someone you know was waiting to meet you at say, some random location and you find him about to die, and his dying words are all "Red hair....yellow eyes"

Or something like that.