Skill Level System

Should this system be implemented.  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should this system be implemented.

• Yes
    • No

This is a new and improved Edition

Alright after taking some time to think this through I think I have a good understanding as to what can be done with these skills. I will post each rank and what they do.

Every Level You Earn, You gain 1 Skill Point to use for the following skills below.

However, there are limits as to how far you can go with the skills.

Before you do the Quest, <>, you may only level a skill up to 3 Points.

Also, you may not make a skill go above your actual level.

I will be suggesting a Quest to a GM soon so you can level up your skills beyond 3 Points.

First off, Lets to the Passive Skills

Searching: For every skill point spent into "Searching", you gain a +1 modifier onto your attempt to find another player.

Hiding: For every skill point spent into "Hiding", you gain a +1 modifier onto your attempt to hide from another character.

Tracking: For every skill point spent into "Tracking", you may find tracks from an hour earlier starting at 1 hour. However, you still need to roll to see if you can continue tracking them so you also gain a +1 modifier onto tracking successfully.

Listening: For every skill point spent into "Listening", you may listen 5 more feet away and get a +1 modifier for being able to successfully listen to anyone. Your original "Listening" begins at 30 feet or less.

Detection: For every skill point spent into "Detection", you detect traps or hidden monsters away easier with a +1 modifier per attempt to use "Detection".

Acrobatics: For every skill point spent into "Acrobatics", you have an easier chance to dodge an attack with a +1 modifier per attempt to Dodge. Also, for every skill point spent into "Acrobatics" you may survive a fall from an extra 5 feet starting at 20 feet, you also get your +1 modifier included into this as well as performing tests of balance or acts of Acrobatics.

Night Vision: For every skill point spent into "Night Vision", you are allowed to use "Night Vision" for an extra 3 posts starting with 3. After that, you must roll a 8 or Higher on your Combat Dice to continue using it. There is also a +1 modifier for every point spent into "Night Vision".

X-Ray Vision: For every skill point spent into "X-Ray Vision", you are allowed to use "X-Ray Vision" for an extra 3 posts starting with 3. After that, you must roll a 8 or Higher on your Combat Dice to continue using it. There is also a +1 modifier for every point spent into "X-Ray Vision".

Sprint: For every skill point spent into "Sprint", your character may sprint about 3 feet faster starting at 15 mph.

Extended Weight Limit: For every skill point spent into "Extended Weight Limit", your character may carry an extra 5 Pounds starting at 40 Pounds.

Next Off Are Combat Related Skills

Battle Healing: For every skill point spent into "Battle Healing", your character has a chance to heal 1 extra health if successful, starting at 1 health. In order to heal, you must roll your combat dice based off of a situation. There must be a chance to fail your heal, thus taking your turn.

Critical: For every skill point spent into "Critical", your character gets a +1 Damage Modifier for Critical Hits Only, starting at a normal 2 Damage Critical.

Constitution: For every skill point spent into "Constitution", your character may earn 1 extra HP added to your current MAX HP.

This is about as far as I have gotten. Until I further develop new methods for your skills to level, then I hope that works.

While I do definitely believe that some form of skill system be implemented, I think that some of the limitations imposed as listed above may lean a little towards the minutiae. Adding a base movement/jump level then tacking on extra measurements per level of Acrobatics/Sprint seems to be almost superfluous to me. Acrobatics should be more than simply how high you can jump, as the system assist could be interpreted as being able to help almost any physical movement, including complex acrobatics/aerial maneuvers.

I certainly do believe that we need some form of skill system, I just feel that tailoring something to work a little more in line with our current dice systems would be a simpler option that would be more conducive towards improving the quality of our Rp community by creating a more immersive experience.

ok, for my idea of skills each character will start with one skill of each type at level one

each time a character levels up they get two ranks to place into skills but a skill rank cant be higher than the characters level

Weapon skills: damage will be calculated as such: 1/2 level x weapon skill with a minimum of 1 damage and 2 for a crit with a crit being double normal damage

Battle healing: regenerate 1/2 level x battle healing rank of health per post but can only be used when not attacking on that post so a character must be blocking or evading to regen. that, or just be standing still

Crafting skills: add 1/2 your crafting rank to your crafting roll whenever you craft something made by that skill

Searching: if your ranks in searching is higher than someone's hiding skill then you can detect them.

(See above skill ranking points for increasing their skill rank.)

Tracking: for each rank in tracking you can see footprints from one hour before (2 ranks = 2 hours, 3 ranks= 3 hours, ext)

Listening: for each skill rank a player can hear 15 more feet, a normal player without the skill being able to hear 30 feet

Detection: for each skill rank a player can detect the presence of people or objects 1 more foot away starting at five feet

Hiding: If a player hiding skill is higher than other players searching skill then they can hide from them

Acrobatics: For each rank in acrobatics a player can jump 3 more inches, a normal player is only able to jump 6 inches

Night vision: Stays at rank one and allows players to see normally at night

X-ray vision: Stays at rank one and allows players to see through normal objects such as walls

Sprint: For each rank in sprint a player adds six feet per second to their running speed, a normal players speed being 2 feet per second

Extended weight limit: For each rank in extended weight limit a player adds 5 pounds to their carry limit, a normal player being able to carry 30 pounds

Equipment skills: 1/2 of the rank in the type of equipment being used is taken off of damage dealt to the player with 1 being the minimum

Reame's original proposal had a lot of potential, it just needed some kinks worked out. Allowing for specific weapon skills used in correlation to the weapon you are currently using to work as a damage modifier does strike me as being particularly in line with creating an MMO'like environment. However his formula could possibly use some tweaking to bring it in line with the health/damage we see used already. Perhaps something along the lines of...

Weapon skills: damage will be calculated as such: 1/2 character level + weapon skill with a minimum of 1 damage and a critical attack dealing double damage

For instance, a level 4 swordsman with a rank 2 One-Handed Sword skill would deal 4 damage on a successful hit, with the possibility of 8 damage for a critical hit.

In addition, having a means to raise our damage curve as we level allows for bosses and GM introduced enemies to have dramatically more health, enabling us to really capture that epic raid MMO type boss battle.

Things like the Battle Healing could work in the same method

Battle healing: regenerate 1/2 character level + battle healing rank of health per post while a character is using the block or parry skills, actively evading damage, or simply remaining idle during their post action.

Lets take a look at that level 4 swordsman who has a rank 1 Battle Healing. He let his partner switch in after taking a hit from a rabid kerfuffle or whatever he was fighting, and is now taking his turn to let his battle healing kick in. He then regenerates 3 health.

It is by no means a healing potion or healing crystal, but it does allow a critically injured character to try to drop back and snag a little breathing room in an otherwise tough battle. I know that recently Zelrius had a rather tough battle with him and a friend each going under 5 health against an enemy.

Lets look at the Equipment Skill next.

Equipment skills: 1/2 of the rank in the tier equipment being used is taken off of damage dealt to the player, with 1 being the minimum

Our level 4 swordsman has a rank 2 in Light Metal Armor Equipment Skill, and is currently wearing some form of mail or similar light metal armor. He takes a hard hit from that rabid kerfuffle, for 3 damage. However, since he is wearing his Light Metal Armor, his armor does it's job and soaks 1 damage from that attack. Therefore, only 2 damage goes through to actually damage his health bar.

Again, nothing too complicated, but adds some basic modifiers to our dice rolling system to reflect how a character is built using the different stat systems.

Last example, I promise, but going into something that was not included in the original premise, but is rather important in it's own right. The Parry or Block or Evasion mechanic. In past boards I have Rp'd on that used such systems, a player who came under attack from an enemy had a chance to make a roll to initiate a block, parry, or evasion attempt which would halve the incoming damage if successful. This could be instrumental in surviving a boss' hit, and would directly roll over into the Equipment Skill to soak additional damage.

Block/Parry/Evade: Stays at rank 1. Allows a character to make a saving combat roll in an attempt to stave off partial damage after coming under attack. (Standard combat roll values apply, with needing at least a 5 to qualify as a success. A 9 or 10 will be a critical block/parry/evasion attempt, and will result in mitigating the full damage value.)

Lets go back to our Level 4 Swordsman, Sir Crashtest, as he takes a critical shot from his mortal nemesis the Rabid Kerfuffle, taking a staggering 6 damage, after having already taken the previous 2 damage. He is now in danger of going under 5 health and into the redzone, as he is only level 4 and only has 11 health. Oh noes. Luckily, Sir Crashtest has invested a point in learning the Parry/Block Skill, and quickly makes a post to see if his combat roll will be successful. Success! He is able to halve that damage down to three, and his Light Metal Armor 2 skill rank absorbs another point of damage, leaving him with only having to eat 2 damage. Take that Rabid Kerfuffle!

These are just a few examples that I had been looking at for the past week. With a little time, we could whip something simple for all the skills, letting players fully customize their characters with easy to use/understand skills to better capture the MMO flavor of our Rp, while also allowing for the fun of being able to work on a character build and train specific skills to reach whatever character idea you had in mind.

Want to be a tank? Grab Parry/Block, train that Heavy Metal Equipment skill, and invest in your weapon skill so you can dish some damage and keep that nasty Rabid Kerfuffle focused on you.

Want to be a speedy DPS? Invest in your weapon skill to increase your damage, drop some points into that Light Metal Equipment or Leather Equipment skill for some damage mitigation, and throw some points into Evasion for defense. Rabid Kerfuffle will now fear you.

Lots of combinations that can fit any character type and create some diversity with characters taking different roles as they see fit for their characters.

Or at least, that would be my suggestion. I am still kind of a newb and all that. But never the less, there is my two col.

Yes, the problem is, with the battle healing, it's set up in a way that a standard player has a 0% chance at beating you because, he deals 1 damage then, and you heal 3 thus making you invincible. I only removed the current skills at the moment to do such tweaking, so they aren't as complex. We need something everyone will be able to understand and remember easily. nothing is fun when you need to do research on how much damage you can do.

Also, I can make it so the higher your acrobatics is, the more intense tasks you can do. Such as being able to maintain balance easier and longer, for narrow passageways above a pit for example, or improving your physical strength too for tasks. This doesn't mean that your damage will go up, it just means you can handle harder jobs easier. A person with higher acrobatics could climb a mountain faster than one with no acrobatics training.

I will need to contact a GM to find out how we could improve this.

Shark said, that we need 5 votes on yes, for them to take a look at this, and we hit 9. Now any tweaking that needs to be made, he will recommend for sure. Seeing how people want such a system means a lot. I'm working on developing new methods and formulas for those things. Give me time and I'll have something better.

I did have in mind. What is if there is a Critical Bonus. For every 3 points added into this skill, you can have the chance of dealing 1 extra damage with your critical damage. This allows the chance for stronger hits, but limits it to only criticals. Criticals are known to be fatal or deadly blows to a monster or person. Doing only 1 Extra damage to a player with 23 Health won't seem like much after time. Compared to dealing a 5 damage hit on the player.
Yes, the problem is, with the battle healing, it's set up in a way that a standard player has a 0% chance at beating you because, he deals 1 damage then, and you heal 3 thus making you invincible. I only removed the current skills at the moment to do such tweaking, so they aren't as complex. We need something everyone will be able to understand and remember easily. nothing is fun when you need to do research on how much damage you can do.

First off, I totally want to point out that I am not trying to argue or start a fight with you Daeron, just clearly put down my own thoughts for you to take, or leave, as you see fit. With that said, any system that increases health based on reaching higher levels is automatically going to skew in the favor of higher level characters simply because the amount of health they have is greater then that of a lower level character. Even without adding something like a small/moderate healing ability, without a probability busting string of horrible rolls on the higher level player's part, it is unlikely that a substantially lower level character would be able to pull off a win. This is a hypothetical scenario mind you, something along the lines of a level 12 PK character dueling with a level 4 etc type player. Not saying it would happen, rather pointing out what 'could' happen. Trying to iron out a stat system can be tricky business.

Also, I can make it so the higher your acrobatics is, the more intense tasks you can do. Such as being able to maintain balance easier and longer, for narrow passageways above a pit for example, or improving your physical strength too for tasks. This doesn't mean that your damage will go up, it just means you can handle harder jobs easier. A person with higher acrobatics could climb a mountain faster than one with no acrobatics training.

I understand that finding a way to translate such skills into an Rp form can be a little complex, however I believe it would be best to focus on what the skill can do for the player as they play the game. Reducing fall damage equal to the level of the Acrobatics skill, allowing a player to do System Assisted things like tumbling, flipping, leaping, etc. As we are not playing on any form of table top or grid, things like land speed, maintaining balance for a given time limit, or how fast one can climb a mountain become more relative to the pace the player is taking in their posts. Some players might choose to draw out that balancing on a tiny ledge for a few posts, to really build up the tension and create a dramatic scene. Where as another might choose to mention crossing that ledge briefly in their post, because they are establishing a different pace that does not focus on the ledge.

Shark said, that we need 5 votes on yes, for them to take a look at this, and we hit 9. Now any tweaking that needs to be made, he will recommend for sure. Seeing how people want such a system means a lot. I'm working on developing new methods and formulas for those things. Give me time and I'll have something better.

I wasn't trying to sound like I was shooting down your proposal, simply pointing out a few things I had thought of based on working with game systems similar to this one on various other Rp forums. In my opinion, the more polished and fine tuned a proposed system or system change is before the GM's have to sit down and start trying to find tweaks that they think are necessary, the less work for all involved.

I know what you are doing. I really do appreciate the feedback, it gives me a view of what I should take a look at. So for acrobatics would you recommend this?

Acrobatics: For each rank in acrobatics a player can jump 3 more inches, a normal player is only able to jump 6 inches and can withstand 2 feet further of a fall with reduced fall damage a regular player being able to take on a 10 foot fall.

How does this sound? Again, I really do appreciate you trying to help me. It means a lot that someone is actually voicing on how it could be improved, which is what I want too. I want to be able to do the best possible work for this system so It's fair for all, but still helps everyone out in a simple manner.

I'm not entirely sure if leaving the specifics as to how high people can jump is really necessary, as it would add a level of minutiae to a post that not all might feel comfortable trying to iron out. I mean, if I am going to jump in a post I would not really focus on exact distance, and would instead focus on my character reacting to the jump itself and what not. Perhaps something along the lines of.

Acrobatics: Each rank in acrobatics allows a character to take half fall damage an additional 2 feet beyond a 10 foot drop. Placing points in this Skill also allows characters to utilize complex acrobatic maneuvers with the aid of the System Assist such as, tumbling, somersaults, and other aerial movements.

I do not really believe that setting a finite distance/height that each rank in the skill would allow a character to jump/leap would really be that necessary, and that we should instead focus on how it can be used creatively in a topic with cool somersaults and backflips and other stunts that most people would fail out without the game's automated System Assist keeping them from landing on their head.

I wouldn't say that you should compromise Rp by adhering strictly to aesthetics. Instead, I would say that you are trying to give the skill benefits that can be used in Rp without focusing so strongly on trying to create forms of distance/scale when we have nothing to use as a frame of reference. Since we are writing as we Rp, the scale is largely in the mind of the writer. Saying that you can jump six inches is a great detail that some writers may choose to work into their Rp, but not something that should necessarily be enforced via a skill description.

Aesthetics are an integral part of Rp, the two go hand in hand. Without creative use of the aesthetics, the Rp can come across as dry and technical. I'm more advocating trying to find a balance that will work well for all players, those who indulge a little too much in the aesthetics of their posts, and those who want to ground themselves in a more realistic portrayal of their plight via the Rp. Balance is good, and all that.

I've actually got to hit the sack, another exciting night of work baby sitting adults ahead of me, however I have the next two days off. I will finish up the skill info that I had been working on the past week and PM it too you, we can compare notes and try to establish a base for the skill stuff together over the weekend if you like.

Alright after taking some time to think this through I think I have a good understanding as to what can be done with these skills. I will post each rank and what they do.

Every Level You Earn, You gain 1 Skill Point to use for the following skills below.

However, there are limits as to how far you can go with the skills.

Before you do the Quest, <>, you may only level a skill up to 3 Points.

Also, you may not make a skill go above your actual level.

I will be suggesting a Quest to a GM soon so you can level up your skills beyond 3 Points.

First off, Lets to the Passive Skills

Searching: For every skill point spent into "Searching", you gain a +1 modifier onto your attempt to find another player.

Hiding: For every skill point spent into "Hiding", you gain a +1 modifier onto your attempt to hide from another character.

Tracking: For every skill point spent into "Tracking", you may find tracks from an hour earlier starting at 1 hour. However, you still need to roll to see if you can continue tracking them so you also gain a +1 modifier onto tracking successfully.

Listening: For every skill point spent into "Listening", you may listen 5 more feet away and get a +1 modifier for being able to successfully listen to anyone. Your original "Listening" begins at 30 feet or less.

Detection: For every skill point spent into "Detection", you detect traps or hidden monsters away easier with a +1 modifier per attempt to use "Detection".

Acrobatics: For every skill point spent into "Acrobatics", you have an easier chance to dodge an attack with a +1 modifier per attempt to Dodge. Also, for every skill point spent into "Acrobatics" you may survive a fall from an extra 5 feet starting at 20 feet, you also get your +1 modifier included into this as well as performing tests of balance or acts of Acrobatics.

Night Vision: For every skill point spent into "Night Vision", you are allowed to use "Night Vision" for an extra 3 posts starting with 3. After that, you must roll a 8 or Higher on your Combat Dice to continue using it. There is also a +1 modifier for every point spent into "Night Vision".

X-Ray Vision: For every skill point spent into "X-Ray Vision", you are allowed to use "X-Ray Vision" for an extra 3 posts starting with 3. After that, you must roll a 8 or Higher on your Combat Dice to continue using it. There is also a +1 modifier for every point spent into "X-Ray Vision".

Sprint: For every skill point spent into "Sprint", your character may sprint about 3 feet faster starting at 15 mph.

Extended Weight Limit: For every skill point spent into "Extended Weight Limit", your character may carry an extra 5 Pounds starting at 40 Pounds.

Next Off Are Combat Related Skills

Battle Healing: For every skill point spent into "Battle Healing", your character has a chance to heal 1 extra health if successful, starting at 1 health. In order to heal, you must roll your combat dice based off of a situation. There must be a chance to fail your heal, thus taking your turn.

Critical: For every skill point spent into "Critical", your character gets a +1 Damage Modifier for Critical Hits Only, starting at a normal 2 Damage Critical.

Constitution: For every skill point spent into "Constitution", your character may earn 1 extra HP added to your current MAX HP.

This is about as far as I have gotten. Until I further develop new methods for your skills to level, then I hope that works.

Mmmh, i've got some problematics to make you notice in this system.

First of all, many skills give +1 to an attempt to do something. +1 to what? I assume a Dice Roll, and yet at the moment there is no needed dice roll to find people, or hide, or listen, or detect monsters.

You might want to define a way this rolls work. For instance, do you need a set result of, let's say, 6, of your battle dice roll to activate the skill (after adding the skill bonuses)? If it is so, can you use them in the same turn you attack? If that is the case, though, since they're based on the same roll, they will probably both succeed or both fail, which is a bit nonsensical.

Or, do the skill activate only if your roll is higher than the enemy roll (for skills which are opposite, let's say Searching and Hiding?) In this case, what about, for instance, hiding from field monsters? They do not get rolls, so you can't really compare your roll with theirs.

Another thing, these +1 bonuses scale quite well at earlier stages, but become overpowered at later stages. Let's say I spend all my points in dodging, i have a +20 to dodge, which seems quite overpowered.

Keeping on acrobatics, the +1 to the dodge mechanic raises another question: what is the dodge mechanic? We have none implemented at the moment. This point i've already raised in the other topic, and the doubt is the same, so i'll quote it below^^

This raises some questons. Namely, how does dodge work? Is it an action that you take before the enemy attacks, and the enemy subtracts its value from his next post's battle dice? That way, though, your opponent may not notice you used it, if they don't read carefully your post, and then you'd have to pm them asking to edit theirs.

Moreover, can you dodge in the same post you attack, or you choose one or the other? If its the latter, that means there is no reason not to dodge every single post you make. That's a bit overpowered.

If not, then most people will never dodge, since it just means their turn will be over and they'll give another chance to the enemy to attack without retaliation. Things would change if certain skills were stronger than others - i.e., i choose to evade Skull Split since it adds 6 damage to the roll, but can't be used for three turns. So I spend this chance of attacking to make his skill miss.

As it is, though, every hit has the same chance of doing the same damage, therefore, there's no reason to evade, since you're spending your turn to have a chance of evading an attack, and giving the enemy immediately leave to do another. In the best of cases, he will have just have made two attacks instead of one, in the worst, he'll hit you two times instead of only one.

Don't know if I've been clear, I can explain more if needed. The core of the matter is that the dodge mechanic's a bit difficult to decide for it to make sense, so a skill that adds a +1/2 to a dodge chance may be very useless, till the dodge mechanic's set and decided.

Alright so what I can do is I can limit the point skill to 5 at a max. Also, the +1 Modifers are intended to make your job easier, therefore it is only effective if you didn't succeed. Then you add your modifier. So lets say you need a 8 in combat and you roll a 5. Since you failed, you can add your modifier to it. In this let's say it's +3 giving you the chance to succeed easier. it was not intended to function if you have met your requirement. So If you roll a 9 when you only needed an 8, then you have no need to use the modifier. You may use this the same turn it comes into action.

• 4 weeks later...