SP - F2 The Fierce Eyed Familiar <<Feeding The Enemy>> (Completed)

Calrex gave a sigh as he materialized on the second floor of Aincrad, appearing in the main settlement of Urbus. He was clothed in his casual combat clothing as he put his hands into the pockets of his light blue fur lined jacket. As he made his way out of the teleportation circle he kept his calm stoic face, but there was something on his mind.

"Beleram...Oikawa said that I might need to focus on upping my Accuracy. I wonder if it's finally time to find a companio...no, I probably should avoid becoming attached to any familiar I get. I shouldn't get attached to a creature in this game that I will most likely never see again once we get out of here..."

He closed his eyes as he gave a calming breath, looking around, "Teayre found Beleram, an eagle on this floor, so it's not too much of a stretch that there should be other types of birds on this floor. If I'm going to improve my accuracy, I'd best look for a type of bird considered more dangerous and deadly than an eagle. A bird of prey..."

"Maybe even the bird considered to have the sharpest eyes in the animal kingdom, the peregrine falcon..."

With that he decided to start looking around, "Going from the information I obtained for this quest I need to try and persuade a monster by giving it food. Well, let's see how this goes then."

Upon entering the merchant district of the settlement Calrex began searching around for a place that might provide suitable food to be used in his quest. Various shops seemed to function for fulfilling this purpose, but none so far seemed to carry bait that could be used for feeding falcons. They carried leftover meat and such, some even offering premium meat. But they were all from domesticated animals like beef and pork. Calrex exited yet another shop as he gave a sigh, "Well, so far no good..."

Eventually he looked over and noticed a shop called "Prey of Birds," a reversal of the phrase used to describe the category of bird that the peregrine falcon was organized in. Figuring it would be a good place to look he entered inside. The place seemed fairly small from the outside, at least in width, because the span of the doorway was not much bigger than the door itself.

As he entered a small bell could be heard as Calrex looked inside. To his surprise what the store lacked in width it more than made up for in length and depth. The store itself was split in half by the extremely long counter, with the side inaccessible by him housing an almost endless row of shelves. A older man appeared to be the attendant of the shop, and as Calrex entered in he turned to face him, quietly beginning to make his way over.

"Um, hello..."

"Hello, come on in boy. I'm guessing you're looking for some bait for catching a bird?"

"Yes, a peregrine falcon."

"A bird of prey huh? Well you've come to the right place. Come over here and I can show you some of the bait we have available."

"Alright. Can you tell me where I could possibly locate them on this floor?"

"The particular bird you're looking for is actually located in the lower mountains outside of the southern gate. They usually avoid high mountain ranges, but don't think for a second that they can't tangle with the larger birds located up there. Ah, here we go."

As the old man turned he pulled a couple of drawers out and laid them out on the counter. Each one was filled with pink colored meat chunks, some more or less fragrant than others. Going just by the color Calrex would easily tell that the meat was likely harvested from other birds, which based on the falcon's normal diet, would match.

"Which would you recommend I use?"

"The freshest is usually the best lure for the bird, since that's usually how they get their meals, from killing an immediately consuming afterwards. So the least pungent would be best."

"I see, I'll go ahead and take that then."

The attendant nodded as he assembled a bag of the meat Calrex had selected before charging him. Calrex accepted the package, adding it to his inventory, "Just going by SAO's mechanics is there a particular one of the falcons I should look for in terms of accuracy boosters?"

"Of the peregrine falcons there's only a few that actually would be capable of doing so. They have the fiercest eyes and usually avoid combat, leaving the deterring of intruders to their more aggressive brethren. Strangely enough in this game they have established a form of hierarchy. The ones that you should seek are of the highest rank, like a royal family."

"I see. Thank you for your help then."

With that Calrex gave a small bow of thanks before heading out the door, "Alright, to the south gate it is then."

After exiting the southern gate Calrex made his way down the path as the grassy field surrounding Urbus turned into the mountain ranges iconic of the second floor. In the distance he could see the mountaintops and cliffs where he and Teayre had traveled during her quest to obtain a familiar, the result of which was her late companion Beleram. Even with the eagle's demise it seemed his death made waves of changes in Teayre, and to some level Calrex.

"I know Meokka said that she can't connect with something that is made up of binary code. I guess if I were to use the two of them as the ends of scale in terms of attachment to a familiar, I guess that I will fall in the middle. Yes I shouldn't get too attached to a fabrication of this game, but if I don't then I might not be able to make use of its abilities effectively."

As he arrived at what appeared to be a collection of low mountaintops he looked and saw a flock of birds all settled on the top of a hill. Judging from their appearance they were the birds that Calrex was looking for.

"Alright...here we go..."

He equipped the Grand Chariot armor as he approached the flock of falcons, preparing for the worst.

Surprisingly the birds did not converge on Calrex as he got into close range of the gigantic gathering of peregrine falcons. Like the old man had said it seemed these falcons had formed some strange kind of hierarchy amongst themselves. Each tier/rank of the group was separated by either an obvious gap or a series of rocks that segregated each into their respective groups. At the very top of the hill was a small group of maybe ten falcons, larger than the other groups, with one of them being the largest of the group, its size just shy of being equal of a St. Bernard. Calrex could swear with the muscles of the bird's wings it could lift a small child high into the air without effort.

Following the attendant's advice Calrex's eyes scanned across the various falcons, the ones with the fiercest eyes matching the royals of the group. However, the one particular falcon that seemed to have the fiercest eyes was actually the third largest of the group. At the same time that Calrex was scanning among the flock each of the birds around him seemed to turn and affix their eyes on him. As he selected the one of the group he was after all of the flock went silent as they all focused on him.

Calrex gave a calming breath as he walked up, retrieving the food as he stepped over each boundary before standing in front of the falcon he picked, setting the food in front of it.

There was an awkward silence as the falcon Calrex set the food in front of leaned in and pecked at the food. However, each peck did not result in food being consumed. It was as if the bird was inspecting and judging the bait Calrex had set before it. Then, out of nowhere the surrounding birds flew forward and scratched at him with their claws but not deep enough to actually cause damage.

"Gah! What the?!"

Each attack seemed directed on a single goal: To push him down to the tier below. Going on this assumption Calrex stepped down to the tier just below, but as soon as he did the group situated within that area flew up and repeated the process. By the time attacks stopped he was standing in the bottom tier, just inside the lowest group.

"I see, this is a power play. They think I'm of the lowest level, and I that need to prove myself. Fine then."

As he drew the Grand Blade he looked down to see a couple of the falcons around him were clawing and pecking at the joints of his armor, as if they were trying to pry it off of his body. He gave a sigh as he gathered that the royals wouldn't acknowledge him if he were "hiding" inside of the Grand Chariot. With a sigh he switched out the armor for his Grand Gauntlets, his casual combat clothing appearing around his body.

"Alright, I'm ready. What do you want me to do..."

Before he could finish his question one of the birds from the tier just above him flew forward, it's talons trained on his face.

ID: 19170

Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +1) = 10 (+1 Damage)

Mob Dice: 10 (Evasion +1) = 9 (+2 Damage)

Loot Dice: 10 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 13 (Non-combat rules applied due to level difference)

As the falcon flew at him Calrex flicked the Grand Blade into a hammer grip as he executed his <<Parry>> skill, twirling his blade in a series of circles around his body like a barrier. The falcon quickly swooped in, its talon actually managing to make it past the barrier and scratching Calrex's left cheek and neck before the rapid slashing of his skill struck true, the bird dissipating into a series of crystals in a single strike.

The birds that were categorized in the same rank as the falcon Calrex had just defeated were silent before they moved to the sides, clearing a small path for Calrex to step in. He gave a small sigh as he felt the glowing red gash of the wound the falcon left on him as he stepped forward, keeping his blade at the ready.

The falcons in the highest tier were dead silent as they observed him make his way upwards, as if curious to the young man in front of them.

As soon as Calrex fully stepped into the second tier a falcon from the tier above flew forward for the next challenge.

HP List

Calrex: 81/83

Enemies:

Rank 2 Falcon: -5/5

ID: 19171

Battle Dice: 2 (Accuracy +1) = 3

Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion +1) = 3

This time Calrex tired to take the offensive as he slashed forward in a vertical cut. However, his attack proved to be too slow as the falcon easily swerved out of the way with a single flap of its wing. In retaliation it tried to scratch at Calrex, but the length of his sword kept the bird at bay as he retreated back into a fighting stance.

"I can't believe I'm actually working my way up to the top of this tier. Although, I guess if I just wanted a familiar without any benefit this could be a way of selecting. That I could, if I wanted to, stop short and choose one of the falcons from the lower ranks. But...I need those eyes. The fierce gaze that seems to take in everything, but is still sharp enough to pick out a prey from miles away."

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 3 Falcon: 7/7

ID: 19172

Battle Dice: 6 (Accuracy +1) = 7

Mob Dice: 6 (Evasion +1) = 5

Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 11 (Non-combat rules applied due to level difference)

The falcon continued its assault as Calrex batted its talons away, with claw coming close to scratching him. Eventually with the pressure the bird managed to almost scratch the wrist of his free hand, but the failed strike also put it too far out that it couldn't recover in time. Calrex retaliated by grasping the leg with his hand as he stabbed forward with his sword arm, striking the falcon in the neck as it dissipated into crystals.

Just like before the falcons from the rank of the fallen combatant silently stepped to the side to give Calrex room to step up. He quietly did so as his eyes fixed on the third largest falcon of the highest tier once again, its fierce eyes locked on him as if they were trying to see through to his skeleton. He gave a small calming breath as he prepared himself, seeing the next falcon fly forward to engage him.

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 3 Falcon: -2/7

ID: 19173

Mob Dice: 7 (Evasion +1) = 6

Loot Dice: 19 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1) = 22 (Non-combat rules applied due to level difference)

As the falcon flew forward it quickly changed its trajectory and went upwards, riding the wind for a second as it brought its talons forward. Calrex gave a calming breath as he shrank his profile, standing sideways with the Grand Blade perpendicular to his body, the main edge facing upwards as he readied himself for a stab.

The falcon descended with great speed, characteristic of the type of bird it was, covering the distance it made between it and Calrex in mere seconds. As it got into striking range it lashed out with a talon. At the same time Calrex thrust forward with his sword, the two attacks connecting at the same time. The falcon scratched Calrex in the shoulder while the Grand Blade cut the bird in the side, knocking its HP down to zero as it dissipated into crystals.

Once again almost unfeelingly the birds of the next tier parted to the sides as Calrex stepped up, "Man, how many tiers are there to this? I swore it didn't take this long to get to the top a few minutes ago."

He gave a small sigh as his next opponent flew towards him.

Loot List

1 Material

HP List

Calrex: 77/83

Enemies:

Rank 4 Falcon: 0/9

ID: 19175

Consistent with the climbing of ranks the falcon that approached Calrex was significantly bigger than the ones he had previously combatted. As it flew forward the talon shot out, trying to rip into Calrex's arm. Luckily he reacted fast enough and pulled his arm out of the way as he cut across the bird with a quick slash from his Grand Blade. This time, however, the falcon didn't dissipate in a single hit. It fell a few hairs short of zero as it locked eyes with Calrex once again, unwavering as it flew forward again, aiming to score a hit on him.

"These falcons certainly are persistent. I just hope this isn't going to turn into some kind of trap."

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 5 Falcon: 2/11

ID: 19224

Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +1) = 9

Mob Dice:  6 (Evasion +1) = 5

Loot Dice: 3 (Search and Detect +2 / Item +1)

As the falcon flew towards him again Calrex quickly reacted as he thrust the Grand Blade forward. Even if the bird was larger than his past combatants it was not long enough to surpass the length of his sword as it was struck by the point, dissipating into crystals. He gave a sigh of relief as he stepped up, already seeing the falcons parting to the sides.

Once Calrex was standing in the next tier an even larger falcon from the next tier up flew forward to attack.

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 5 Falcon: -7/11

ID: 19225

Battle Dice: 8 (Accuracy +1) = 9

Calrex readied his blade as the falcon engaged him, stepping to the side as the large bird flew by, missing its charge. While it flew by Calrex delivered a fierce swipe across the length of its body while it was still in range. He gave a calming breath as he watched the bird circle around, coming in for another attack.

"I guess they can't really fully emulate the full extend of a peregrine falcon's hunting methods. From what I remember they actually exploit that extreme speed they're known by for by flying high above, using their eyes to scan for prey, then closing in on them like a missile. Usually the prey doesn't even see if coming."

He gave a sigh as he readied his attack.

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 6 Falcon: 4/13

ID: 19226

Battle Dice: 9 (Accuracy +1) = 10 (+1 Damage)

Mob Dice: 2 (Evasion +1) = 1

Loot Dice: 8 (Search and Detect +2 / +1) = 11

As the falcon closed in again it tried to claw at Calrex once again, but this time Calrex leaned back, the talons missing him by a foot. Immediately after confirming the miss he erupted forward with his Grand Blade in a thrust position as he jammed the blade into the bird's neck as he stabbed it into the ground next to him. With the killing blow the falcon burst into shards as Calrex got to his feet, giving a couple of exhales to catch his breath.

With that completed the falcons moved to the side, revealing that Calrex had made it back to the highest tier. However, the falcon he had set his eyes on had yet to touch the food he had laid out for it. He gave a sigh of disappointment as he sheathed the Grand Blade, walking over, ready to retrieve the food. However, as he reached forward the falcon pecked his hand, "Ow! Hey, what's the deal? Are you trying to steal the food? Sorry, I don't have much time to waste unfortunately."

The falcon shook its head as it looked behind him. Calrex turned to see the entire flock lift their wings and hover off the ground before all of them flew in a single direction...at him.

HP List

Enemies:

Rank 6 Falcon: -6/13

OOC: Implementing Endurance system. The falcons are testing Calrex's will and endurance by having the entire flock attack him for three rounds. For every roll under 10 on the Craft Dice he takes 15 damage.

ID: 19227

Craft Dice: 12

As the entire flock flew at him Calrex didn't have time to draw the Grand Blade before the swarms of talons and beaks came down on him. He gave a calming breath as he clenched his hands into fists, the Grand Gauntlets spiraling with aura chains as he used his <<Parry>> skill, the ability guiding his fists as they smashed into beak and talon with enough strength to deflect the incoming attacks, but not enough that he could actually score a hit.

The squawking of the falcons erupted into a frenzy as they became almost like a tornado of wings and feathers, with Calrex at the center. The only birds that were not participating in the attack were the ones of the highest tier, coldly observing the ordeal. They were testing him to see if it was worthy to be considered the same rank as them.

HP List

ID: 19228

Craft Dice: 8 (15 Damage)

The frenzy continued with the roar of the falcon's squawking reaching high decibel levels as Calrex continued to bat away attack after attack with the Grand Gauntlets. However, it seemed the attacks were wearing down on him as some of the attacks managed to get past his defenses, scratching him all across his body. Each limb had about three light red wound marks on them, with another three appearing on his face, with one across his nose, vertically down his other cheek, and a third making a cross with the previous scratch.

"D-Darn it they're not letting up. I'm not sure how much longer I can actually hold out against these things. Even with the Parry skill I can't deflect this many attacks for an extended period of time!"

The light blue aura chains continued to spiral like crazy as he continued jabbing at each of the attacks coming his way, going down on one knee from the pressure. However, it seemed like the birds were starting to let up as he noticed the flock starting to slowly disperse. It seemed like the ordeal was almost over.

HP List

Calrex: 62/83

ID: 19229

Craft Dice: 12

After a few more minutes of enduring the relentless storm of attacks from the flock of peregrine falcons Calrex gave a calming breath as he saw the near endless tornado of wings, talons, and beaks slowly starting to break apart. As the group began to disperse he was able to keep up with their attacks. A few more minutes later the entire ordeal ended as the storm ended almost instantly, as if it never happened. The falcons were all back in their respective tiers, interacting amongst each other like they did before. It was as if Calrex was not there.

He himself was covered in light red scratches as the Grand Gauntlets lost the light blue aura chains effect, his arms falling to his sides as Calrex gave a series of breaths to slow his heart, getting back to his feet as he turned to face the falcons of the highest tier. He had survived the ordeal, and from what he could gather the falcons had accepted him as an equal. With that he walked over to the falcon he had set his eyes on, looking down.

It still had not touched the food he had given it. Breathing a sigh of defeat he turned, but then stopped as a stench went up his nose. Turning around he recognized it stench. It added up in his head as his mind began to process the situation. He had presented the food too early. If he had known that he was going to fight his way all the way up to the top the food would have become spoiled by that time. The stench was a dead giveaway.

"Maybe..."

He nodded to the falcons before retrieving the bag, which the bird decided to allow this time as he chucked it to the side, "No use eating bad meat. I'll be back."

HP List

Calrex: 62/83

As Calrex turned and left the flock of falcons the lower ranks split even further apart than they did previously when he was working his way up as he made his way back in the direction of Urbus he felt his wounds slowly starting to heal from the battles and ordeal he had just gone through. However, he did breath a sigh of relief that the flock of falcons considered him one of their top rank. It would likely make the return trip easier. Of course there was the fear of needing to redo everything again, but at this point if that were the case he was going to call it a night and try again tomorrow.

"I've just got to get some fresh meat from that shop again and make my way back. Hopefully that's all that's needed to appease that falcon..."

Upon arriving back at the southern gate back into the settlement he gave a sigh of relief as he looked around, directing himself in the direction of the Prey of Birds shop, his steps echoing on the cobblestone ground.

After some time navigating the streets of the second floor settlement Calrex found him back at the entrance to the Prey of Birds shop. However, as he entered the shop he saw the old man that ran the store on the customer side of the counter, walking towards him.

"Oh, hello here sonny. DId you find the flock of falcons I informed you about?"

"I did, but I ended up having to prove myself to them, so by the time I managed to present the bait to the falcon I had selected it had already gone bad."

"Ah I see. Well I'm about to step out of the shop for a few minutes to run some errands."

"Oh, I see. I can come back if you..."

"Actually, maybe if you'd like to accompany me it can speed up the process and I can get your bait faster."

Calrex looked in surprise and confusion for a second before he gave a calming breath, "Well, if it will help sure I can do that. What was it you needed to do?"

"Oh I just need an extra set of hands for carrying items I need to pick up from some shops around here. shouldn't take too long. I'm getting old is all, so my legs are not what they used to be."

"I see..."

"Wait...is this old man a player or an NPC?"

As Calrex exited the Prey of Birds shop the old man followed suit, locking the door behind him while changing the sign to "Will Be Back." With that he turned and pointed to a shop just across from the Prey of Birds, an NPC fish shop that sold materials for cooks and such that required the preparation of seafood, "That's where we'll be heading first."

"Alright then. What is it we're getting from there?"

"What, you don't believe I get my bird bait second hand do you?"

'Wait, you mean..."

The old man gave a mischievous smile as he continued at a slowly slower than walking pace towards the shop. From what Calrex could gather the speed they were moving at would take double the time it would take him to walk on his own. It wasn't making him impatient, but it did make him conscious of that fact.

"Yes, I actually catch all of the birds that are needed to make the bait."

"But how do you..."

"I have my ways, of course that's a trade secret."

Calrex gave a friendly smile as he nodded, "Fair enough. I won't pry then. So I'm guessing that you use the fish as bait to attract the birds, then you catch and use those birds as the bait for the falcons and other birds of prey that your shop is named after?"

"A boiled down explanation but yes. Of course there's more to it than that, but that's for the other stops."

After picking up a basket of fish from the shop Calrex followed behind the old shop owner as he slowly made his way towards a different shop. This one seemed almost like an apothecary, at least in the theme that Urbus was based on, a medieval town would likely have some form of a medical professional for the time. As the two entered Calrex could see a variety of different plants, herbs, spices, and even amphibians inside. The old man approached the counter and placed an order, the shop owner heading into the back to procure his items.

"So...what is it you're getting from here?"

"This is where I gather the items in order to make my bait high quality."

"High quality bait? I thought that was because it was fresh. Do you add something to it?"

"Think of it this way my friend. Bait for birds is in some ways exactly like food for us? You wouldn't want to eat a bland or overspiced meal, am I correct? Everything within a dish needs to be balanced, while bringing out the flavor of the ingredients themselves. With the right herbs, spices, and technique, a simple piece of meat can become a romantic dinner for two, or a feast for a family."

"I see, so you apply this philosophy, which in return produces high quality bait that the birds of prey go for?"

As Calrex finished his question the shop owner returned with a small bag full of what the old man ordered. With that the two departed and headed for the old man's next stop.