[PP - F4] Frosty lemons <<Essence of Steel>> (Hikoru)

Floor four, Snowfrost Village, the weather there was snowy as always. Today even more than never as if in expectancy of a great battle. A ,rather large, snowflake falls down on the extended open hand of a cloaked figure.. with the melting animation beginning after a couple of seconds in which the figure had time to drew her hand closer to her face in order to observe it as it melted. She then would inclose it into a fist as she would look towards the teleportation gate, expecting it to activate any moment now.

She would then activate her HUD inventory and gaze within it, then retrieve 1 item with a slight smile before closing it again. At the bottom of the whitish cloak, a pair of black army-like boots could be seen and a black tip of a weapon as well. The figure would then raise her gaze, making the hood of the cloak slide backwards and reveal her blonde hair and silver eyes. She was expecting someone she barely meet, a player that finished his initiation in her guild. He came with good references from Cal, who supervised his initiation. So Ariel would now get a chance to see the potential, one of the recruits of her guild had. 

Edited by Ariel - The Crowned Lion

Lowenthal stepped onto the teleporter. "Alright. Floor, Four!" He said, feeling the rush of the teleportation, followed by the blast of cold from the fourth floor. He took in a deep breath, and shuddered it out. It hadn't got any warmer then the last time he was here. He had to invest some thicker clothes if he was going to keep coming here. As he stepped off the teleporter, his gaze met with a woman. "Waiting for someone?" He asked, as he approached her. "Cause I may your guy" He said, knowing he was late to a rendezvous. 

Hearing the teleport gate activate behind her, the blonde turns around to face the newcomer. Despite being told that the meeting will take place on the 4th floor, he came in wearing a summer-like outfit and appeared displeased with the weather. 'What were you expecting?' thought the blonde as she heard his rather blunt greeting. The blonde half smiled as she returned the greeting: "Is that how people pick up girls nowadays?" she asked, followed by a chuckle. She then summons her shop inventory and retrieves an secondary white cloak. It bore her shop's logo, a white crowned lion head, on the right shoulder over the biceps area and the shield of the Absolute Pin guild on the back. It was a twin item to her own as she had already assumed that something like this might happen and made a extra. She threw him the item saying: "Catch!

Lowenthal chuckled. "Yeah, well. I'll be surprised if it works one day." He said, his breath hanging in the air. He saw her pull a jacket, from what he could only tell as her inventory, or maybe her shop. He reached out and caught the jacket, looking at the logo. "Thanks." He said, throwing the jacket on over his other jacket. It was already noticeably warmer. Gonna have to make one of these one day. He thought, liking the color scheme. "It blends with the snow quite nicely." He complimented, thinking of stealth. "So, what's this quest about?" Lowenthal asked her, only skimming over the message he gave her. He had been with his sister a few minutes ago, but had lost track of time.

The blonde gave a warm smile as she heard him compliment her work. And seeing him equip it made her feel pleased in some way. Like in the old times when she just started tailoring and gave random 'newbies' items to help them start in SAO. It was good to see that she could do that even now, that this death game didn't change her... that much. Upon hearing his question the blonde nodded and replied in a somehow excited voice: "Yes, the quest. My Information Brokers have told me about a certain beast that lives in Frozen wasteland, at this floor. You may be thinking of Avalanche but it's not him as this quest takes place in the Glacial Cove, as trough the Avalanche quest takes places in the mountain area. And the drop seems to be different as well. Something about a item enhancer that improves an item's grade." As she finished her brief presentation of the quest, she stared into his green eyes to see what kind of reaction she would get from him. For her at least the thought of fighting something new was exciting but she had to be careful not to let too much of it show. Some may be scared by her battle eagerness, it was a flaw that she had acquired while training at the 10th floor all this time.

Lowenthal smiled back as she did to him. It was a nice feeling, a nice social interaction between two people. Lowenthal listened to the eagerness in her voice, as she described to quest to him. He couldn't place the reason why, but he hung on her every word. Perhaps it was she was the Guild leader, and suited for leadership. Or maybe she was just pretty. "Alright, sounds like fun." He said, rotating his arm stretching his shoulders. "Well, should we get going then? I mean, before it get's to be night." He said, not wanting to be in the cold much longer even with his warm coat.

The blonde noded at Lowenthal's reaction, she was pleased to see that despite his average number level-wise, wasn't afraid of a challenge. Truth be told neither Ariel really knew what they were searching for but the Snow Beast would most likely show itself once they reach their destination. "No other questions? Then lets get going" she said as she watched him do some light warming up exercises as she pulled her cloak over her head and turned around, summoning her HUD map. There was a bit of a walk until their destination so Ariel decided to engage in casual chat so that the time will pass more rapidly as they advanced. She was also a bit curious about what kind of person did Cal initiated so she started with a basic question as they began walking: "How SAO treating you so far? I've got some info on you from Cal-kun's report but nothing's better than meeting somebody and talking with him face to face." she said as a 'icebreaker' of the conversation. She chuckled at that comparison thinking at the floor that they were at.

Lowenthal followed Ariel through the snow, the white flakes crunching underneath his feet. He quite enjoyed the snow, not as much as the sands of the beach, but the snow was much more beautiful. And least it was a walk with someone pleasent for a change. He jumped slightly at the question. "Ah well, SAO's been fine. It's the people that are the worst part of it really." He said, thinking back to his failed date where learned that he had to fight for her affection. He wasn't going to have any of that nonsense. "SO yeah, other then that. Life's been pretty good." He crossed his arms behind his head as he walked. "What about you?" Lowenthal asked his female companion.

The blonde slightly raised her eyebrows as she heard Lowe's response, it was rare to see somebody as optimistic as him. Normally people are depressed about being trapped into this 'death game', having to fight their way out. Hearing his fair question in return the blonde noded as she replied: "Fair enough. I agree, the major problem from my point of view are the people. Too many have betrayed my trust already.." she said to Lowe and continued in a low muttering, more to herself than him "ever since the Guardians disbanded and Azure kicked us out" she then quickly shook her head twice as her natural smile came back. "I thought myself as an exception, actually somehow liking to fight against the mobs. They prove to be a better challenge than most of the pompous 'elite' fencers IRL." she said with a smile as she remembers her IRL tournament participations. A certain scene from a recent championship came into her mind as after she had delivered the finishing hit and won the finals, her opponent snapped and started accusing her of heating. 

Lowenthal was listening to her answer, and trying not to slide and fall down the slippery road. "So you fence?" Lowenthal asked, just carrying conversation. That was interesting, so she came into the game with experience already. "I didn't do much back home. Just kinda, watched the house while the family was out." Lowenthal said, sort of envious of Ariel's life. Other than being a shut in his house, Lowenthal didn't do anything really. "I mean, that's why I got this game. So I could be something else." He said, trying to keep the conversation moving forward. 

Her eyebrow twitched as he asked if 'she fenced'..the blonde could reply 'yes' but that wouldn't be enough to sum up over a decade of hard work and sweat, she'd invested in her swordsmanship. So putting up a prideful tone Ariel spoke: "I did more than that, the nickname 'Crowned Lion' or 'Lioness' was on the lips of every commentator when I would join fencing tournaments worldwide" then changed to her usual tone as she continued: "Adapting my skills to this game's stat based system was a pain. At the beginning I am certain that the Cardinal restricted my movements because I didn't have enough points invested in the rapier skill." she said remembering how she finally broke through those restrictions when she mastered the One-Handed Rapier skill. 

She raised her eyebrow when she'd heard him speak about being someone else as a faint smile appeared on her lips while she asked him: "Well then, to whom may I be talking now?" she could never understand the whole nickname business, that is why she created a account using her real name. Even if she didn't use Ariel that much IRL. All her close acquaintances called her Kayla..and as for the second part well... simply 'Ariel' was already used.

"Whoa, seriously?" Lowenthal said, loosing his footing slightly and slipping. "That's like super cool." He said, in reply to her career. "I'm just a store manager's son. So every now and again I get to stock fruits and produce. That's as exciting as I get." He didn't get why Mari didn't like this woman, perhaps it was jealously, perhaps it was something else. Lowenthal shrugged it off and shook his head, snowflakes pelting his orange hair. He perked up at Ariel's question. "Someone else? I guess that could be a way to say it. I mean, I'm not proud of me being me, so I bought SAO so I could be a hero." He tried to explain. "But i guess I'm just dreaming." He said, half heartedly. 

"I'm sure that that isn't all!" stated the blonde as she stopped to help him raise then continued: "You must've had like all the time in the word to hang out, play games and read manga/LN/VN. I could barely find any time between training session to get on the PC." she stated. Due to her starting from a young age, she had missed on those kind of things. Hearing the next part of his reply made Ariel feel a bit...angry? why would he have this lack of self esteem? The worst thing was that she didn't knew what to do about it. So instead of of further digging' up the subject she decided to reply in the following manner: "Hero huh? There was a time I too had such wishes but the truth of SAO made me change my objectives. Instead of trying to help all the people, I will focus on my guild.... no my family, of which you are now a part of. Right before you stands Kayla Ariel D'Sole, the self-proclaimed 'Crowned Lion'. So, I ask you again: Who are you right now?" she asked with a determined voice, she know his nickname already but she wanted to know with whom she was speaking.

Lowenthal blinked, his mind at a blank. He blushed as Ariel caught him and helped him to his feet. Then her sudden attitude change silenced Lowenthal before he could thank her. She wanted to know who she was speaking with. He hesitated, but then spoke. "I'm Lowenthal! Master of Shadows!" He said proudly, jamming his thumb into his chest. A grin appeared on his face, and for once Lowenthal felt inside truly happy and at peace. He laughed softly.

Ariel showed a satisfied grin as she heard his honest answer. An she spoke in a half serious, half joking tone as she eyed the boy, trying to suppress a chuckle: " 'Masters of shadows' you say? well we will have to put that and my proclamation to the test then!". Turning her gaze forwards she could sea their destination already, Glacial Cove. It looked like... well exactly like the name said, a frozen cove, even if for some reason it reminded Ariel of pirates. With a small chuckle the blonde opens her HUD inventory and checks her gear: "Okay I'm good, how about you? we've almost reached our destination." beside her beloved sword, Ariel had equipped the vambraces and shoulder pads while removing the cloak. She was now wearing a very short skirt and a revealing sleeveless top, both having a blue navy camo pattern. Her summer-like outfit fluttered as the wind blow but the blonde felt no cold. Having set her shop at this floor she had long ago gotten accustomed with the weather. "Ready?" she asked as she turns around to check with Lowe.

Lowenthal smiled as he looked out over the Cove. Reminded him of a book he read, or a song he heard. He knelt down and peered ahead, looking for anything moving. "Alright, I could scout ahead if you want me to." He said, looking up at Ariel. The overcast clouds had also broke through, casting light. Ariels hair shone to Lowenthal's eyes. He couldn't help but stare for a second. He shook his head and quickly looked down, blushing. "Hah, didn't hear you change. But yeah, I'm good to go." He stuttered out, drawing his kunai.

"No need for scouting, 'shadow master', if the mob's at the 4th floor I'm sure he won't be that of a match for us, right?" she asked in a confident voice, slightly chuckling at the sight of him blushing. As the skies cracked open, Ariel would take a better look into the cove to try to find this <<Snow Beast>> she'd been informed of. Seeing nothing but ....wel, snow and ice. The blonde motioned Lowe for them to descend into the cove: "Maybe it will come out when we get there, like the cove being its activation area or something. because right now I don't see it." she said as she began her descend. Her grip on the rapier would tighten as she kept an eye on their surroundings. "This mob might not fly solo, if you get where I'm going" she said in a lower tone.

Lowenthal followed Ariel, staying close as they made their way to the Cove. He walked backwards, keeping an eye on their six. Making sure nothing would suddenly hit them from behind. "Be careful," Lowenthal whispered. "It could be using camouflage. Or it could actually be part of the landscape." He said, looking for boulders, or landscaping that didn't match the cove's. For some reason, he wasn't nervous. But he felt more alert.

Ariel nods as they make their way in the middle of the cove, where a small mound raised from the frozen shore. Ariel wanted to get a good look at their surroundings and starts climbing the mound while signaling Lowe: "Let's get a better look from there" she said during her ascend. As they reached the top the blonde would see a black thing lying on the ground, at the center of the mound and approach it cautiously. "What is that?" she asked as she directed her gaze towards Lowenthal with a puzzled expression then turned back towards the skull. They were now right near it, and could see that it was a ordinary skull, with no body, lying on the ground. The only thing exceptional about it it was the black coloring.

Lowenthal followed Ariel up the small mound, still keeping an eye out. Seeing nothing, he sheathed his kunai and turned. "What is it?" He asked, now noticing the black skull. "The hell?" Lowenthal said, looking at the skull. It seemed to be on a small spike, or pole and it hung in place. "What do you think it is?" Lowenthal said, pulling out his kunai and touching it. "Kinda creepy." He said, leaning in to see it closer.