[PP - F5] Why is it so hot in here? (Zero)

Another day, another batch of delivered items...or at least that is what a certain blonde thought when she went to deliver a specific, and rather large, order of combat uniforms for a noble NPC in Fortaleza, Floor 5. But she would always seem to ignore or forget that this floor was rather hot. If it was only the extreme head she wouldn't complain so much but the sudden wind gusts that raise the sand and throws it at the blonde, it gets in her hair and.... everywhere else that it may find room. The same problem would arise for her familiar as well, Kimba the lion who normally has a snow white fur, today has it dyed in a golden tinge a much lighter shade than Ariel's natural blonde.

The two companions were now returning to 'Armadillo', the main of this floor, from a successful transaction with the guy in 'Fortaleza'. They were now reaching the end of 'El Paso del Diablo'. The blonde choose this 'safe passage' because she thought that the canyon would provide a little shade and shield the two from the random sand storms.

"Just bear with it a little more" said the blonde to her furry companion, who had a little difficulty walking in the sand. Ariel herself had equipped her regular black army-like boots and decided to lose the shoulderpads and vambraces since this was a journey for business more than the pleasure of fighting mobs. So now she only wore her short skirt and a very revealing sleeveless top. Both of them having a blue navy camo pattern. But the blonde has left a certain combat gear equipped, her beloved black bladed rapier was strapped to her waist as a fair warning for all who might have ill thoughts towards the two companions.

Upon hearing Ariel's voice, Kimba looked up to her and released low...dissatisfied growl which made the blonde chuckle as she continued. "I told you that you didn't have to come..that is if you didn't wanted dinner. Seeing as how I was going to be away for a while" she said with a sheepish smile, glancing at her familiar. The lion cub (about the size of a mature St. Bernard dog) released a roar and suddenly dashed forwards leaving the blonde behind. Ariel was already accustomed with her companion's behavior and didn't hesitate to run after her as they could already see Armadillo. 

After another night of drinks in Armadillo, Zero had neen left resting outside on a bench. He sat up and quietly stretched, rubbing the back of his neck. The platinum blonde looked around at the players nearby, few like always do to the weather of the floor not being favored by many other than himself. He could stand the heat even in his black shirt and pants, blue coat, and black combat boots. He slowly stood up from the bench, dusted off his pants, and slipped his hands into his coats pockets, making his way towards Armadillo's exit in the direction of El Paso del Diablo. He glanced at the sky trying to see how long before the sun would lower when he felt something slam into his legs and knock him back.

He rubbed his head once he hit the ground and glanced at his feet to see what had hit him. He saw a lion cub standing before him, and glanced passed it trying to find an owner of some sort. "No way in hell you're a native mob to this place," He quickly sat up and smiled at the cub. "So where's your owner at?"

No matter how hard she'd run using all her passive skills involving agility and even her <<Sprint>> Ariel couldn't catch up with jungle raised lion cub. She'd often train with Kimba and sometimes win the races that they had between them but this time the white lion was full out, leaving Ariel literally in the dust. 'Guess she holds up on me sometimes' she thought with a light smile as she followed the trail left behind by her companion. She wasn't the best tracker, and the pawprints weren't exactly visible for too long in the sand. After a while, the blonde found herself somewhere in Armadillo, looking around herself and seeing anything but her companion. With a sigh the blonde went and sat on a nearby bench trying to figure out how many times this has already happened already. But she was sure of a thing, Kimba would always come back no matter what.

As she was running, Kimba took a glance behind to see if her blonde companion was still behind. In the next instant she found herself hitting something that randomly popped in her way, too late for her to make any evasive moves. She shook herself like a dog shaking off the water off of it but instead of any liquid, the lion cub sprayed sand all around her. She then would look in front of her and see a tall figure dressed in blue, she thought it might've been Ariel but found that the smell and face didn't matched her companion's. hearing the boy's question, Kimba tilted her head and released a couple of low growls then proceeded to brushing herself against the boy's legs for a couple of second, as it was her usual greeting of strangers. Then she turned around and released one more growl as she was facing the stranger, as if beckoning him to follow her.

Zero watched the cub somewhat amused by its friendly nature, and let out a slight chuckle when it greeted him. He did not mind the company of animals, people he could somewhat stand but animals were no problem for him to interact with. He dusted off his pants as the cub growled at him to follow her lead and scratched his cheek as he carefully thought of what he would do. "I didn't have any plans aside from getting another drink once I walked through the desert so I guess I can follow you. Lead the way little one." He slipped his hands into his coats pockets and stepped to the side of the cub. "I'm sure your master must be worried about you."

This should entertain me for the time being, and if it doesn't I can always make it entertaining. The young man slightly grinned at the thought, and chuckled quietly as he followed the cub.

"So hoooot" she shouted as she was looking towards the sky, giving her thanks to every gust of wind that would ease her torture in this heat. It wasn't as bad as the 9th floor but still, she prefered the cold of the fairy tale-like 4th floor. The one floor she like to think of it as a 'temporary home', 'She's late' thought the blonde as she peeked at the HUD clock, calculating how much time has it passed since she got separated from her familiar. As she focused her gaze in the distance the blonde could see a white splash of color followed by a blue one. Squinting her eyes and placing her right palm over her forehead, to better see in the distance. Ariel recognizes the lion cub but not the one guy that seemed to follow her. Gritting her teeth and releasing a 'tsk' the blonde wondered: 'What did you do this time?

As the two came into her close proximity the blonde firstly addressed her companion, ignoring the one she had brought with her. her voice carrying a scolding yet worried tone: "Do you know what time it is? Oh all places, you went 'exploring' this hot hell? Moooo..." (Japanese way of saying: 'Geez!') then ending with a sigh. To which the lion cub growled uninterested and turned towards Zero. Ariel then raised her gaze to meet his as she addressed the boy in a highly faked, apologetic tone: "I'm sorry for any inconvenience my companion had done. What is it this time... she eat and/or broke something of your?" she asked in a skilled way as she had practiced this apology many times before, as Kimba would always do something when they were in towns. 

• 5 months later...

"If you’re going to fake it milady, don’t bother giving an apology. The lack of passion and meaning in your words is overflowing.” Zero gave her a slight smile, seeing through the fake apology, and kneeled down to pet the lion cub. “Besides you have nothing to worry about, this little one was very well behaved. Just being friendly and playful is all.” He gently began to pet the small cubs head and stood back up, looking at her attire casually. He noted her appearance and the presence she gave, adding the fact that her green icon he felt no threat from her towards him. “Which speaks volumes about yourself, being the owner and all your personality must reflect itself on her quite a bit.” The young man let out a slight laugh at the comment as he visualized it in his head. His right hand passed over his hair, pushing it back, as he extended his left hand towards her and gently gripped her right hand, raising it up slightly towards him as he leaned in and kissed the back of it. “Where are my manners, forgive me. I’m Zero.”

Zero kept his usual overflowing killing intent in check, he felt like playing a different role today. The young silver haired boy’s presence lacked almost all traces of hostility, only the normal amount being present, and his expressions showing complete authenticity. He truly was, in all regards, completely defenseless to those who gazed at him and seemed like the players one would meet on the first floor, the ones who did not dare to venture out in fear of death, yet there he was greeting this unknown individual in a manner one would normally see exclusively in movies or read in old romance stories. A strange individual in all aspects

It seems her act had been seen through, one less thing on her mind. Kimba on the other hand started purring at the sign of attention, there was a feeling she had about this guy she felt a similarity in him as when she was hunting. Some primal bloodlust perhaps but didn't bother over it too much, Ariel showed a similar side when she was fighting challenging mobs so she accepted it as something that 'humans' had it in them, much like herself. The cub started purring as she listened to their conversation.

The blonde on the other hand was taken aback by that greeting but didn't resist. Although rare, behavioral patterns like these were found IRL... she'd meet some in the dinner parties that were hosted before and after tournaments. It was good to be treated like a 'lady' despite not being one ever since this game started "I guess the cat's out of the bag" she said glancing at Kimba who seemed to approve of this guy. "My name is Kayla Ariel D'Sole, call me Ariel..." she didn't want to say her full nickname as people tend to take it as a joke when in fact was the interpretation of her full name. That and the fact that 'Kayla' or 'Ariel' were already taken by the time she'd made the account.

"Being her owner wasn't actually a choice from my end...she just stuck to me while I was in the jungle" she said, not wanting to tell more detail, as she would reveal a weakness in the process. "But I got to say, 'well behaved'... It seems like you were talking about a different familiar. She is just a lazy troublemaker that does as she pleases and doesn't hesitate to leave me behind to clean after her" she said in a mother-like tone while looking at the 'person' in question. But Kimba decided to do a minor protest and growl at her while yawning afterwards. The blonde let out a sigh while turning her gaze at Zero: "I must say that's a pretty unique nickname you have there. Must've put some thought into it, right?" she asked with a genuinely curious tone.

"A pleasure to be acquainted with you Kayla, or should I use Ariel? I'd rather address you by your preferred name, I find it hard to be disrespectful and call you a name you don't want. Also, don't take me noticing your mask personally. I just prefer people to be frank with me when it comes to how they feel." Zero let out a slight laugh and smiled at the small cub. He could imagine that the creature was a troublemaker, you could see it in its eyes. "Well that's particular, though I can imagine she picked you for a good reason. They do tend to pick specific people to follow, familiars I mean." He watched the blonde as she scolded the cub and blinked when she mentioned his name.

"Oh that? I suppose you could say that I did put thought into it." He slipped his hands into his pockets and crouched down to glance at Kimba. "Zero can be many things, existence yet non-existence, something that is there but not tangible, an unperceived variable in an equation. Suits me just fine, a presence hidden in the crowd by a pierrot mask. A neutral force of unknown allegiance." He rose back up, pulling his right hand out and opening his menu. His hand scrolled through it quickly and selected his weapon, the three blade set appearing at his waist. "Completely dismissed and ignored, yet of great importance. I hope my reply is satisfactory and to your liking." He gave Ariel a slight grin, letting a bit of his bloodlust slip out intentionally.

"Ariel is fine, as it's my middle name...most commonly used inside this game" she said, hoping he wouldn't ask about the second part of her in-game nickname. It wasn't something she was ashamed of but was a pain to explain and not be mocked. "But not before you say it....no, not after that stupid mermaid. I had too much jokes thrown on me on that account. My parents went after the more biblical meaning of the name." She decided to let it as that unless he asks for more details which she wouldn't mind sharing. Did so with all before him. Resuming the talk about her companion she said: "Yeah... at first it was more like she hunted me, at least that was my initial reaction."

She listened to him tell her about the nickname: "ooohhh interesting. Even better than hearing that you're a informatician or a mathematics enthusiast." she said before seeing him equip three blades, next sensing a bit of 'hostility' from him. 'Is this a indirect challenge?' she thought as her left hand unconsciously rested on the hilt of her own thorns motif rapier. He ended his explanation without taking any other action... 'I must be overthinking it' with that thought, she relaxed a bit. He must also be aware that this was a safe zone...maybe he just wanted to get her attention. Thing that worked as she looked at the blades and spoke: "Three weapons? I've heard about a dual sword wielder but three as well?... how many unique skills are there I wonder." she said with a sigh as all her attempts of even getting information on those kind of things had proven fruitless.

Zero found Ariel’s quick explanation behind her name amusing, noting that she probably had to deal with people immediately associating her name with that of the mermaid from the animated movie. He listened to her attentive as she spoke, he felt somewhat compelled to ask more about her name but felt it was unnecessary. His eyes discreetly assessed her physically, rapier user, well equipped and not lacking in the looks department. He assumed that she was, or at some point must have been, a frontliner or at least part of a guild that took part in the frontlines which was possible since he had not been in the frontlines for a while. "Don’t worry I hadn’t assumed that about your name, though that is an interesting choice of name your parents made.”

He felt a slight pride set in when he seemed to have impressed the blonde with his explanation. Normally he did not bother explaining his name, but if he intended this situation to move in the direction he hoped it was required that he provided to the discussion what he could as well. He kept himself from smiling when she slightly reached for her sword, but stopped herself and instead asked about his weapon. “This old thing? I’ve had it for a while; it’s not really all that to be honest. I can only use one at a time, but as for Unique Skills I can tell you there’s about seven so far and rumors of more still yet to be found so who knows. All I know is that my skill is pretty useful, especially when dealing with players though it’s mainly tanks. You interested in getting one for yourself?”

"Sadly, it's one of the few things that remained intact after I joined this 'death game' " she replied with a partially sad tone, ending with a sigh. Curious fellow, his appearance and name were new to her...he even aclaimed to be possessing a unique skill. 'Why haven't I heard of him before?' she asked herself while looking at him from head to toe, once again assessing his appearance and the manner in which he presented himself. 'A unique character indeed' she thought. She would keep tabs on who had what through information brokers and such but this guy was a complete mystery. "tanks...... by any chance it negates their mitigation to an extend. I can't find any other 'skill' that would act against such a specific target group." Thinking of his last question.

"Of course! " she said without hesitation, bringing her left hand into a fist. "I've seen firsthand what these Unique Skills can do paired with their respective unique items. But sadly I've had little to no luck in gaining any information about them, let alone acquiring one for myself. Though I have a friend who received a pretty neat katana." she said with a smile, thinking about the crimson maiden. 

• 2 weeks later...

"I can turn tanks into tissue paper with my power." He stated bluntly and tossed his blade over his shoulder. "I'll give you it's name so you can remember me if you ever hear it, Darkness Blade." He knew his skill and identity were unknown to most of the current generation, he was of a time already passed only remembered by few players. He listened to her attentively, watching every word she used in case he picked up anything of interest but found her to be relatively average. His perception also allowed him to pick up on her surprise regarding his very existence, something he was profoundly glad of. Less known the better right now...

"I see, so you personally know the player Tearye. Can't say I'm surprised you know all the rest either, they aren't all that discreet about their skills to be honest." He swung his sword to the side before sheathing it and grabbed Ariel's hand like before. His lips planted a gentle kiss on the back of her hand and his eyes gazed up at her. "If you wish I can provide you with assistance in acquiring a Unique Skill. I'll tell you the basics and work up to the more intricate aspects I discovered, sound good to you milady?"

As small sweat beads started forming around her neck and the visible part of her collarbone, the blonde began executing with her right hand a fanning motion in a attempt to cool off temporarily. Despite having several nice memories, she really hated this and the 9th floor due to the heat and humidity... As she continued to listen to Zero,her eyes drifted at he 3 sword he had on himself 'Santoryu, ka?' she thought until he mentioned a name she was particularly familiar with. 
"Yeah I know her, we've become something like sisters here in SAO. And I have some info on others, like you said... as they flaunt their unique items that came with the skills, like peacocks." Of course there was some degree of envy in her tone, one would have to be mad not to be interested at least in that topic. Then again until now, all she got from him were just words. 

She slightly blushed as he repeated the gentlemanly gesture. The lad seemed honest in offering his help and there was no reason to refuse such an offer. "I would take you up on that offer. Tell me what you'd like for your help. Also if we're going to work together please call me Ariel."

• 3 months later...

A slight laugh escaped his mouth when the young man noted the blonde's slight envy of those who flaunted their Unique skills around. He released her hand, straightening himself, and brushed his hair back. "Unlike them I don't publicly use mine almost at all, only about a handful of people actually know I have a Unique Skill. Even less know what it actually does." He smiled with a pleased expression upon his face and slipped his hands into his pockets. Under normal circumstances he would not offer something like help with Unique Skills to someone he had just met, but Zero remembered something he had heard once in the past. The team that is going to win is the one that does its homework the best by studying its opponents... Guess at least I can say she's not a fool, asking for help from someone who fought for one.

The platinum haired boy took a deep breath and let out a light sigh. "Alright Ariel, I'll give you the information I have knowledge of thus far. What I want in return if you happen to be a blacksmith or tailor, a piece of armor in the future would be appreciated." He pulled his pulled his right hand out and scratched the back of his head. "This a basic breakdown. Unique Skills are held by a designated NPC, that NPC carries a set of high grade equipment so make sure your skills are high, they seem to posses maxed out skills that probably based on NPC, to challenge them you need to posses a set of specific skills otherwise they ignore you, lastly they seem to posses some form of personality so you can haggle with them on how to get your skill. Different NPC's have done this in different matters. Let's see what else do I know..." He glanced at the sky for a few moments then looked back at Ariel. "Ah right, it seems their HP is measured to be the same as yours by default so if you get them to allow consumables Overhealth and Safeguard from the start are your best bets."

In the attempt to hide her blush she looked at the side towards her companion on with her left hand she brushed any stray strands of her golden hair behind her ear. She made a mental note to keep her mouth shut in order to respect his privacy regarding the uniques. She wasn't one to gossip but a mental reminder was still warranted, for her own peace of mind. In the meanwhile, the little lion cub felt left out of the conversation and began sharpening her claws against Ariel's black leather boots out of boredom. Despite being no visible durability factor, the blonde would normally frown as she was being toyed with by her familiar. But in this situation the action didn't even register on her mind as since the moment she heard his affirmative reply, she began listening attentively to the silver boy. A proud smile took hold of her expression as she heard his price, unconsciously puffing her chest, the blonde said: "What a coincidence. You happen to be speaking to Aincrad's #1 ranked Tailor. Tell me what you need and I can make it for you."

After that she began taking notes on the information she was passed on.This time she didn't take mental notes but actually produced an piece of paper with one of her shop's order form on it and began writing on the back of it. Her overall stance would remind of a waiter or clerk that is diligently writing almost every word she is being told. This stuff was detailed, more detailed than she hoped for. At the end she rose her gaze from the piece of paper at with a slight tilt of her head she asked: "Personality? That's news to me. I mean I've seen convincing behavior patterns on mobs but it comes a time that the thing just repeats what it's done before, making it predictable. To be able to haggle huh? it would be interesting to actually have a conversation with the one I'll be fighting." she added with a slight grin at the end at the thought of actually be able to taunt the NPC or even hear it pleed not to be slayed.