The deadly pole

I was wanting to get back into role-playing with a solo thread for fishing attempts, but the pole nearly killed me on one very poor roll. Why does it do so much damage for a profession with half the ranks of a normal profession? The other 5 ranks don't do this. Does every other profession have this type of risk? I don't want to rp my character knowing I can't ever continue fishing without dying. I have one potion that would heal me five hp, but takes a turn to just use. It would take a long time to heal all the damage back even with a stock load of potions prepared. I would like it more reasonable, but I'm not sure if every profession is supposed to be that hard to rank up.

Edit: I read over the risks of rolling a bad number on each profession. It seems fishing is the only profession to have such a brutal outcome among its dice chart.

What do you mean by damage being dealt? Also, dying seems a little more harsh than not doing any damage as you speak. Thank you for answering by the way!

Edit: Duh! I must have been really tired this morning, or just really stupid. I didn't notice you were agreeing with me. Unless I'm still being an idiot. Still, dying is way more of a set back, especially for people who pour their soul into their characters like some of the members here. Fishing is rare enough for people to use in the first place, and this won't help anyone want to change that.

Edit 2: Is there anyway to heal myself back up so I don't die? ANY way. ;)